Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,841 members, 7,841,198 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 12:53 AM

Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself (2186 Views)

God Bless GEJ. You Are The Best. / 6 Die In Suicide Bomb Attack On Redeem Church (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Nobody: 9:12am On Oct 08, 2010
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5628053-146/story.csp

Time to tell the truth

No number of photo opportunities between President Goodluck Jonathan and militant leaders from the Niger Delta can persuade Nigerians that the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) had no hand in the killings that occurred in Abuja on Independence Day. It does not really matter if Dokubo Asari and his fellow militants shake the president’s hand thousands of times for the cameras. The limited information available to Nigerians, including the claim of responsibility for the bombings, points to MEND as the perpetrators.

Prior to the tragic events in Abuja, MEND was the only organisation in the country that had resorted to bombings in this way, including in Warri a few months ago at an amnesty conference organized by Vanguard newspape[/b]r. A few hours before explosions rocked the venue, they issued an advance warning to the public and accepted responsibility once the bombs had gone off. [b]This was the same scenario that played itself out in Abuja Oct. 1, with one important difference – our security services bungled badly, and 16 people paid with their lives for that negligence.

Mr. Jonathan only made things worse with his hasty and ill-advised decision to exonerate MEND for the crime committed in Abuja. The perception of the president was too quick on the draw has not been helped by the accusation made by Henry Okah, a reputed arms dealer and prominent MEND leader, who claims an aide of the president wanted him to blame northern politicians for the carnage. The deep distrust that already exists between the different regions in this country was further fuelled by Okah’s claims.

Taken together, the statements by both Mr. Jonathan and Mr. Okah have provoked northern political leaders into trenchant, at times unrestrained, lambasting of the president. Some have called for his resignation. Others have gone so far as to threaten him with impeachment.

The president’s defenders have argued, weakly, that he didn’t do anything wrong. His aides and political associates have made vague claims that, by virtue of his position, the president surely was privy to information that led him to preemptively proclaim MEND not guilty of the cold-blooded murder of innocents.

And this is the crux of the matter. If the president does indeed have this sort of information, he has a responsibility to share it with the rest of us.

We are disappointed, to say the least, that the president inserted himself so publicly into a criminal incident before law enforcement authorities even had a chance to conduct investigations. It is not the president’s place to pronounce on the guilt or innocence of anyone. That is why we have police, the State Security Service, and a plethora of other agencies charged with preventing crime and enforcing the law. All that we require of our president, in the immediate aftermath of such traumatic events as the bloody bombings in Abuja on Oct. 1, are words of comfort to the survivors and their families, reassurance for an anxious public, and a promise to ensure that law enforcement agencies brought perpetrators to book.

While the president needlessly opened himself to the increasingly shrill accusations from his political opponents, among others, we are dismayed that his most severe critics also are sounding more like opportunists who have given little thought to the dangers inherent in the heating up of the political environment. Our fragile country can ill afford the tensions that have risen so dramatically in recent days.

The president must act quickly to lower the temperature. If he has any information that would support his initial assertion, then he has an obligation to share it with us. But if, as we suspect, his initial reaction arose more out of panic than any desire to mislead, then he should address Nigerians forthrightly about the general insecurity in the land, from sectarian convulsions in Jos to widespread kidnappings in eastern Nigeria to Boko Haram killings in the northeast to the violent upheaval in the Niger Delta. He must put the recent bombings in context for us all and outline the urgent steps he plans on taking right away to protect life and limb.

Only this kind of honesty will begin to restore some of the confidence that has been lost.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 9:42am On Oct 08, 2010
We are disappointed, to say the least, that the president inserted himself so publicly into a criminal incident before law enforcement authorities even had a chance to conduct investigations. It is not the president’s place to pronounce on the guilt or innocence of anyone. That is why we have police, the State Security Service, and a plethora of other agencies charged with preventing crime and enforcing the law. All that we require of our president, in the immediate aftermath of such traumatic events as the bloody bombings in Abuja on Oct. 1, are words of comfort to the survivors and their families, reassurance for an anxious public, and a promise to ensure that law enforcement agencies brought perpetrators to book.

This was my same argument immediately after Jonathan absolved MEND of culpability over the Abuja bombing. What kind of ineptitude and cluelessness will lead a President to show himself up as a partisan clog in the wheel of investigative crime fighting? No matter the information available to Jonathan he should not have spoken in a manner that suggests he is preempting justice or attempting to sabotage ongoing investigations into a very serious crime against Nigeria.

Jonathan, instead of speaking in defence of MEND and inviting former militants for tea and biscuits , should, first and foremost , seek to lift the spirit of Nigerians. Alas a President totally distracted by an inordinate ambition cannot realise this. With Jonathan granting audience to two speakers of Ogun State and then former militants it is obvious Mr.President is living up to accusations that he is a Political opportunist and "window dresser" not interested in tackling the problems that trouble Nigerians.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by netotse(m): 10:01am On Oct 08, 2010
i cant fault the article, GEJ and his handlers have been going from one faux pas to the other. . .they should just calm down and make factual statements, i think there are too many people being touted as speaking for GEJ, imo the guy needs to rein in the praise singers before they do irreparable damage to his profile.

@oyb
you should head over to NVS and read the ribadu interviews. . .your guy no try at all, he gets an A for passion though. . .

P.S. you really need to come to my neck of the woods to hear gist about the guy sef. . .in fact a lot of your fav people have ties to this area sef
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by princekevo(m): 10:08am On Oct 08, 2010
The bold is exactly what we have been trying to make his blind supporters understand.
But they think with their blind support they were doing Jonathan any good.
We all know Jonathan is still a student in the school of politic, blindly supporting him even when we know he has falling inside a gutter will never help him in anywhere, will rather make him look more foolish.

Obama is getting stronger and better in politics becoz of the critics from the American people. Some might be consider right and he secretly take correction and some be wrong. But one thing i hate abt this Jonathan's supporter is that they are so blind that even when Jonathan mess they will consider it a presidential mess. If you speak against it you are being termed as Pro-IBB. Limiting Nigerians intelligent to IBB-Jonathan battle arena.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by mbulela: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2010
netotse:

i cant fault the article, GEJ and his handlers have been going from one faux pas to the other. . .they should just calm down and make factual statements, i think there are too many people being touted as speaking for GEJ, imo the guy needs to rein in the praise singers before they do irreparable damage to his profile.

@oyb
you should head over to NVS and read the ribadu interviews. . .your guy no try at all, he gets an A for passion though. . .

P.S. you really need to come to my neck of the woods to hear gist about the guy sef. . .in fact a lot of your fav people have ties to this area sef

kai, walahi! the guy no try at all.
He is so naive that he cannot even tell a proper lie.
how could he not think out the Tinubu and Babangida angle properly?
He has too much work to do but very little time.

my vote is just hanging,looking for who to vote for.
certainly not anybody in PDP.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by mbulela: 10:39am On Oct 08, 2010
[b]What a bloody, barefaced liar, this Ribadu! Below is a direct quote of what he said on the senate floor in 2006 about both Tinubu and Mrs Jonathan. If you declare that someone (Patience) "is involved in money laundering" is that not an indictment? If you say "Tinubu's corruption has an international dimension" is that not a damaging indictment? Is that not the widely published statement, made on the senate floor, that prompted Tinubu to fire back that Ribadu was being used by OBJ against him.

I cannot believe that Ribadu would go on record to deny these two indictments! Gosh! If nothing else, this NVS interview has solidified Ribadu's reputation as yet another flaky pol who would lie, compromise his integrity, and exonerate corruption to win power. What a loser! What a waste! Indeed, Ibori should offer to finance his campaign and the next thing we'll be reading is that "I never indicted Ibori."

I am weak.

Then there is the annoying, non-stop whining and complaining about being held accountable for his own record--being asked to explain his actions and statements. Would someone remind this buffoon that he is running for the highest office in the country and that it is legitimate to scrutinize every fiber of his past record, including his many silly unguarded statements? Listen to the fool: "you're asking me about something I did four or five years ago, in which I gave my best, bla bla bla!" Answer the frigging question and quit whining. Defend your damn record or own up to and apologize for your mistakes.

The gra-gra in this guys is unbelievable. What a bully and intemperate fool! He thinks he should be worshipped. He thinks he should not be asked to explain his curious/controversial, and image-undercutting statements. He doesn't think it is "fair" to ask about what he did or said as EFCC chairman. He should not be asked to provide specifics. You can't ask him to explain why Tinubu, whom he clearly indicted (see below), is bankrolling his entire campaign and shadowing him around. He should not be asked how that might hamstrung him as president and undermine his future war on corruption. You can't ask him why it is hypocritical to rail against corruption and those who embody it and then say that you do not mind being funded by corrupt politicians' money "as long as they won't put the money in my pocket." You can't ask him why he exonerated corruption kingpins like Andy Ubah, OBJ, and Bode George (who was later convicted of the same charges). You can't ask why he removed Yardy's name from his so-called corruption list because he was told that "his corruption was not personal." No he won't let you ask these questions without whining about how "I have suffered," how "they wanted to kill me," how "I was humiliated," without him accusing you of trying to "pin me down" or to "smear me." He thinks that because he was dismissed and humiliated out the police, he should be given a free ride to the presidency of the most populous black nation on earth; we should simply gather at Eagle square for a coronation of Savior Ribadu. He should be patronized with easy questions that'll elicit more grandstanding and populist drivel.

This is the nail in the coffin of Ribadu's campaign. For starters, this guy may have to learn to act maturely--to act his age. He is close to 50 for crying out loud and he's acting like a 22 year old caffeinated, self-absorbed bully. [/b]

Not my exact words but i agree with every word in there.
I am so disillusioned.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 08, 2010
I like caption of this thread. There is still hope for GEJ if he can start acting right and whip his un-cordinated bandwagon into line also. He should learn when to talk and when to keep mum, and most important, how best to talk. He is MR. President and should act like one
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by egift(m): 11:18am On Oct 08, 2010
If he cannot call press conference (not that yeye Facebook) and apologise to Nigerians for those lies, his stand on MEND and for wasting our bilions, he can as well forget the elections.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Aussienavy: 11:36am On Oct 08, 2010
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by 9ijaMan: 11:51am On Oct 08, 2010
seconded!
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by violent(m): 12:00pm On Oct 08, 2010
egift:

If he cannot call press conference (not that yeye Facebook) and apologise to Nigerians for those lies, his stand on MEND and for wasting our bilions, he can as well forget the elections.

Do you speak for Nigerians as a whole?. . .or your villagers?. . .or your neighbors?. . .or yourself?

The Post is spot on, after a careful observation of the bomb crisis, as well as the wasteful manner the president spent the country's resources at the 50th Independence, i have since made up my mind that GEJ is no longer having my vote.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Chadrack(m): 12:38pm On Oct 08, 2010
"The bold is exactly what we have been trying to make his blind supporters understand.
But they think with their blind support they were doing Jonathan any good.
We all know Jonathan is still a student in the school of politic, blindly supporting him even when we know he has falling inside a gutter will never help him in anywhere, will rather make him look more foolish.

Obama is getting stronger and better in politics becoz of the critics from the American people. Some might be consider right and he secretly take correction and some be wrong. But one thing i hate abt this Jonathan's supporter is that they are so blind that even when Jonathan mess they will consider it a presidential mess. If you speak against it you are being termed as Pro-IBB. Limiting Nigerians intelligent to IBB-Jonathan battle arena."

@ princekevo,

I ask that you read again your comment. with the sections I've put in bold.

Now, the issue is not a matter of supporting GEJ, the issue is trying to make nigerians see that we have moved beyond the sectional and myopic nigeria of yesterday. The president may have made a mistake of coming out boldly to make those statements when he did. But I want to say he did that becos as you said he is new to the game of telling lies as others have perfected theirs. To me he is the right person for the new nigeria not some who will hoodwink us with lies. Their time is past. We want a new nigeria and Jonathan will definitely help us in that.

I also believe as you said, like obama, Jonathan will grow into maturity in politics. Let us not judge with the yardstick of the past leaders. those who work with him testify to the man's ability to listen. Give him the chance.

I'd have gladly go for Ribadu, but most of you also shows he lacks experience compared to Jonathan, from your comments. Ribadu is a man with a clean mind but without the experience, which I believe Jonathan already has, Ribadu will not be able to do anything. I think it is time for the young generation of ths nation to stand up and do waht is right by supporting our leaders.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Chadrack(m): 12:45pm On Oct 08, 2010
@violent ,

So who are you thinking of giving your votes? This is the same mistake that our elders did in the past. We judge in a moment of anger and what happens, the next day we regret! Pls sit down again and consider why you had the mind of giving him your votes before. Is this one mistake bigger than that reason. May the lord help you to decide.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by 9ijaMan: 12:52pm On Oct 08, 2010
Chadrack:

@violent ,

So who are you thinking of giving your votes? This is the same mistake that our elders did in the past. We judge in a moment of anger and what happens, the next day we regret! Pls sit down again and consider why you had the mind of giving him your votes before. Is this one mistake bigger than that reason. May the lord help you to decide.

There's no need to campaign here. Jonathan did not start lying today. Go to Bayelsa state and get more info about him. He started what he was too naive to finish. People thought he'll be different apparently because of his numerous FaceBook posts which obviously he did not write himself. Now everyone is seeing GEJ for who he really is, an inept loud moth who's more of talking than working.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by violent(m): 1:13pm On Oct 08, 2010
Chadrack:

@violent ,

[b]So who are you thinking of giving your votes? [/b]This is the same mistake that our elders did in the past. We judge in a moment of anger and what happens, the next day we regret! Pls sit down again and consider why you had the mind of giving him your votes before. Is this one mistake bigger than that reason. May the lord help you to decide.

for now, my vote is hanging, i have lost my confidence in Jonathan although he seem the preferred choice given the list of other aspirants.

I'm definitely not voting IBB, Saraki, Asari Dokubo, Henry Okah, Atiku or Dele Momdu!
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by netotse(m): 1:24pm On Oct 08, 2010
@violent
i'm with you on that. . .out of all the aspirants, there's no one worth my vote(GEJ included) but if no worthy candidate comes forward by election time, i will vote for GEJ.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Dede1(m): 2:09pm On Oct 08, 2010
GEJ exudes everything wrong about Nigeria. If judging by the posts on this forum following the bomb blast in Abuja, I say the cross section of Nigerian society is screwed. GEJ has displayed unacceptable dereliction of duty and gross incompetence as nation’s leader. Those Nigerian who seemed to be flagrantly pointing accusing fingers at IBB and others should take a serious look at them selves.

Where is GEJ the chief security officer of Nigeria? Where are the IGP, Director of SSS, Armed forces Intelligent Boss, Minister of Internal Affairs, Minister of FCT, Chief of Defense Staff and National Assembly Oversight and Intelligent Committee? In fact, the Nigeria has gone beyond geographical expression. Somebody needs to be impeached and sacked.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 2:12pm On Oct 08, 2010
netotse:

@oyb

Netotse, I read the interview and I think your conclusion , along with those of some on NVS, is wrong . The Interview may not be brilliant , because it is impromptu, but it will actually endear Ribadu to Nigerians because the former EFCC boss spoke honestly , passionately and intelligently on many issues . I have always found NVS to be a sanctimonious forum full of pompous charlatans , with an overblown and deluded appraisal of their own intellect  . Many on NVS are actually dense because their thinking is clouded by a clamour for unrealistic idealism. Nairaland is actually a better and more honest mix of Nigerians. This is why I post here and nowhere else. Ribadu may not be an economic guru like Utomi but an economic guru is not what Nigeria needs right now. Nigeria needs a leader who has the good qualities of  OBJ plus the sincerity and the integrity to eschew cynical self-enrichment that our former President did not have.

Ribadu is the only sane choice and those who are undecided should hear me out impartially.

Ribadu is an OBJ with sincerity. We all know that OBJ is brave, singleminded, detribalised, determined , energetic(rumoured to work almost 24 hours) and capable of inspiring others. OBJ is no economist but he showed good leadership when he meritocratically assembled technocrats and supported them to deliver results for Nigeria. Where OBJ falls short is his corrupt nature and desire for personal aggrandizement.  The NIPP, TRANSCORP, sale of refineries are a few example of good initiative hijacked by the greed and lack of enduring integrity of OBJ. Iyabo Obasanjo got NIPP contracts when she knows Nada about power generation!!!!

Now, let us imagine what Ribadu brings to the table that is pertinent to Nigeria of today. Ribadu will be everything OBJ is but without the greed , corruption and primitive lust for self-enrichment. This is a man who took $15 million bribe to the CBN as evidence of graft  shocked shocked We all know that , like OBJ, Ribadu is tough, resolute, energetic and highly driven. Ribadu will encourage the best technocratic hands to transform Nigeria and , unlike OBJ, he will not hijack their initiative to enrich himself and his cronies as OBJ did many, many times. I know , for example, that the NIPP scheme would have been a success under Ribadu. Someone (and I might actually join up to do it) should tell those shortsighted observers on NVS that Nigeria , right now, simply needs a President who is brave, has integrity, will fight corruption vigorously and enable many  highly talented technocrats to deliver for Nigeria.

Let the noisemakers at NVF also make sure to tell us when other presidential candidates refuse to grant them an interview . The stonewalling and lack of interviews I am predicting NVS will experience with other candidates , with a realistic chance of becoming President , will only highlight how Ribadu , even if he makes mistakes, is always available to dialogue with Nigerians as a mark of an individual who wants to serve genuinely. Can this be said of IBB, GEJ, Atiku et al? Ribadu will make mistakes but will emerge from them stronger. Dreamers can back the likes of Utomi , who can design impressive economic growth spreadsheets, but those who are really aware of what Nigeria need will understand that we want an OBJ who is sincere . We want an OBJ who , through sheer strenght of character, can support other good leaders and their good initiatives without then turning around to use said initiative as a 'get rich quick' scheme. Ribadu is far out there as the best choice candidate who has OBJ's good qualities without our former President's flaws.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Kobojunkie: 2:20pm On Oct 08, 2010
violent:

for now, my vote is hanging, i have lost my confidence in Jonathan although he seem the preferred choice given the list of other aspirants.

I'm definitely not voting IBB, Saraki, Asari Dokubo, Henry Okah, Atiku or Dele Momdu!

Preferred? Even though a Vote for Jonathan still means a Vote for IBB, Saraki and the others you have on your list there? Gosh!!! What is with this "I am for Change even though I am voting Against Change" Trend?
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Faeb: 2:26pm On Oct 08, 2010
netotse:

@oyb

I saw the interview and laughed my head off. I like Ribadu, but he just isn't ready, not at all! So many things wrong, he still had to explain and re-explain for the umpteenth time, his unfortunate quip about 5000 policemen stopping violent crime in a nation of 150 million. It was frankly embarrassing. I was going to post it here, but thought it would be too much.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Nobody: 2:32pm On Oct 08, 2010
Kobojunkie:

Preferred? Even though a Vote for Jonathan still means a Vote for IBB, Saraki and the others you have on your list there? Gosh!!! What is with this "I am for Change even though I am voting Against Change" Trend?
Your mama born you well sis. Same group in d same rotten PDP.

[size=15pt]Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Azikiwe[/size] [size=15pt]| Awolowo Belewa[/size] soon to be appended = [size=15pt]Inconsistency incorporated![/size]
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by netotse(m): 2:42pm On Oct 08, 2010
@gbawe
so, just because some people dont like NR they are now dense, pompous and idealistic? guy you can like to comport yourself, why dont you help organise interviews with presidential candidates now on nairaland now. . .Just say you didn't get along with the crowd over there.

P.S. impromptu? who told you so? so you think you can just call ribadu up and talk with him for an hour just like that? them interviews (buhari and ribadu, next dele momodu, heck there's even a podcast with one of GEJs SAs) have been planned since.

oh and yeah, the crowd on NVS are much older than the NL crowd, so not getting along with them is natural
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 2:43pm On Oct 08, 2010
jabbok:

Your mama born you well sis. Same group in d same rotten PDP.

[size=15pt]Goodluck Ebele Jonathan Azikiwe[/size] [size=15pt]| Awolowo Belewa[/size] soon to be appended = [size=15pt]Inconsistency incorporated![/size]

Indeed . The PDP's leadership ideology starts ands finish with a crude formula of sharing Nigeria's wealth and important offices amongst members of the Party. It does not matter if it is IBB, GEJ, Atiku, Saraki or Gusau. A PDP Presidency is a poisoned chalice for Nigeria.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gekko(m): 2:45pm On Oct 08, 2010
Gbawe:

Netotse, I read the interview and I think your conclusion , along with those of some on NVS, is wrong . The Interview may not be brilliant , because it is impromptu, but it will actually endear Ribadu to Nigerians because the former EFCC boss spoke honestly , passionately and intelligently on many issues . I have always found NVS to be a sanctimonious forum full of pompous charlatans , with an overblown and deluded appraisal of their own intellect  . Many on NVS are actually dense because their thinking is clouded by a clamour for unrealistic idealism. Nairaland is actually a better and more honest mix of Nigerians. This is why I post here and nowhere else. Ribadu may not be an economic guru like Utomi but an economic guru is not what Nigeria needs right now. Nigeria needs a leader who has the good qualities of  OBJ plus the sincerity and the integrity to eschew cynical self-enrichment that our former President did not have.

Ribadu is the only sane choice and those who are undecided should hear me out impartially.

Ribadu is an OBJ with sincerity. We all know that OBJ is brave, singleminded, detribalised, determined , energetic(rumoured to work almost 24 hours) and capable of inspiring others. OBJ is no economist but he showed good leadership when he meritocratically assembled technocrats and supported them to deliver results for Nigeria. Where OBJ falls short is his corrupt nature and desire for personal aggrandizement.  The NIPP, TRANSCORP, sale of refineries are a few example of good initiative hijacked by the greed and lack of enduring integrity of OBJ. Iyabo Obasanjo got NIPP contracts when she knows Nada about power generation!!!!

Now, let us imagine what Ribadu brings to the table that is pertinent to Nigeria of today. Ribadu will be everything OBJ is but without the greed , corruption and primitive lust for self-enrichment. This is a man who took $15 million bribe to the CBN as evidence of graft  shocked shocked We all know that , like OBJ, Ribadu is tough, resolute, energetic and highly driven. Ribadu will encourage the best technocratic hands to transform Nigeria and , unlike OBJ, he will not hijack their initiative to enrich himself and his cronies as OBJ did many, many times. I know , for example, that the NIPP scheme would have been a success under Ribadu. Someone (and I might actually join up to do it) should tell those shortsighted observers on NVS that Nigeria , right now, simply needs a President who is brave, has integrity, will fight corruption vigorously and enable many  highly talented technocrats to deliver for Nigeria.

Let the noisemakers at NVF also make sure to tell us when other presidential candidates refuse to grant them an interview . The stonewalling and lack of interviews I am predicting NVS will experience with other candidates , with a realistic chance of becoming President , will only highlight how Ribadu , even if he makes mistakes, is always available to dialogue with Nigerians as a mark of an individual who wants to serve genuinely. Can this be said of IBB, GEJ, Atiku et al? Ribadu will make mistakes but will emerge from them stronger. Dreamers can back the likes of Utomi , who can design impressive economic growth spreadsheets, but those who are really aware of what Nigeria need will understand that we want an OBJ who is sincere . We want an OBJ who , through sheer strenght of character, can support other good leaders and their good initiatives without then turning around to use said initiative as a 'get rich quick' scheme. Ribadu is far out there as the best choice candidate who has OBJ's good qualities without our former President's flaws.

Well Said!

Cant believe folks would pass up on a man who has dedicated half of his life to public service, trained lawyer, law enforcer, built efcc from scratch, pounded his chest and stood up against corruption.  Since his departure from efcc he has completed fellowships at oxford and harvard, how can you possibly weigh all of this against a simple-minded tool like GEJ.

If you wish to continue to knit-pick at Ribadus flaws, i leave you with this qoute from Theodore Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 2:54pm On Oct 08, 2010
netotse:

@gbawe
so, just because some people dont like NR they are now dense, pompous and idealistic?
I maintain that they are based on how they write.

.Just say you didn't get along with the crowd over there.

I have never posted there so who did I not "get along with"?

P.S. impromptu? who told you so? so you think you can just call ribadu up and talk with him for an hour just like that? them interviews (buhari and ribadu, next dele momodu, heck there's even a podcast with one of GEJs SAs) have been planned since.

I await the interview with others .

oh and yeah, the crowd on NVS are much older than the NL crowd, so not getting along with them is natural

Well,  we both know that "seniority" in Nigeria is just another word to justify dismissing those who are younger as irrelevant so the archaic mindset of NVS forumers is totally understandable.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 3:05pm On Oct 08, 2010
Gekko:

Well Said!

Cant believe folks would pass up on a man who has dedicated half of his life to public service, trained lawyer, law enforcer, built efcc from scratch, pounded his chest and stood up against corruption.  Since his departure from efcc he has completed fellowships at oxford and harvard, how can you possibly weigh all of this against a simple-minded tool like GEJ.

If you wish to continue to knit-pick at Ribadus flaws, i leave you with this qoute from Theodore Roosevelt:

"It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, because there is no effort without error or shortcoming, but who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions, who spends himself for a worthy cause; who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat.

Good talk my brother . "Knit-pick" is not all they do. They deliberately fail to highlight parts of the interview in which Ribadu shows he is indeed a candidate , of all those available , worth considering.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/nvs/candidate-interviews-2-part-6-nuhu-ribadu-on-jonathan-spoiler-rumors-and-campaign-funding.html

VIABILITY OF CAMPAIGN

Again, real quickly, how would you convince Nigerians that you’re a viable serious candidate?

Nuhu Ribadu: What, the point about viability or not is that when you are a candidate you come out and say this is what I’ve done, this is what I’ve done, this is what I intend to do, people should look and see what I’ve done in this country and see whether indeed I’m good enough to do again or probably even do better. I have worked, and I told you I have served my country for 25 years, and those things that I have done are visible, are evident and now that I have come out to say I am a free person and I'm joining politics and I have refused to join the party that that I believe is the problem in Nigeria today – the PDP. I’ve decided to go to the opposition which is the most important,  the second party in Nigeria. A party that has the semblance of a national outfit.

I’m trying desperately to bring all the progressives together, I’m talking to all good parties, I’m talking to all the good people, I’m trying to even turn the people who are in PDP who are good enough, come back and let’s see if we can come together and save our own country. I am leading this and I am doing it, and already I have started seeing results.

There’s no any other way you could prove that you are a serious person better than that. Today I’m in the lead, I’m in the forefront of building unity within the progressives to address the problem that is PDP and federal government and the 30 states that they’re in control today in our own country. I’m extremely extremely serious person - whatever I do in life I do it seriously and that has been my whole life.

ARE YOU FRONTING FOR OR A SPOILER FOR JONATHAN?

You obviously appeal to a very energetic constituency just like Mallam Buhari, those who want a non-tainted presidency. However, there is the allegation that you are a spoiler for Jonathan. How would you convince Nigerians that you are a viable serious candidate and how would your campaign be funded?

Nuhu Ribadu: You know one thing that’s surprising me is about this President Jonathan rumors. This is a government that has retired me for no reason, I’ve not done anything, I’ve given 25yrs of my own life into public service, and they retired me. What Jonathan did was just to make it from dismissal to retirement. And I am yet to be told what I’ve done for me to be retired from public service. And some people will still come round and say that I’m doing this for Jonathan? For God’s sake what reason? What reason? Why?

How can you punish somebody and again take advantage of it. No its so unfair, I mean I feel real sad when people talk like this. But above all, I worked all my life to improve my own people, my own country. I can never . Nuhu Ribadu will be the last one to be used, more so, somebody who have been treated unfairly.

So the PDP government had never been part of it. They’ve been extremely unfair to Nigerians and unfair to me. I did to the best of my ability what I thought was the right thing and they went after me, they punished me, they humiliated me, they took me out of public service, they retired me, and I’ve not got one penny up to this moment. And people are talking about me being used? I think that is very unfair to me.

To be fair to a lot of your supporters, lots of them are very young, very idealistic and you have to admit that it would have come to them as somewhat of a shock and a letdown if you have said, as you were reported to have said in the presence of Mr. Tinubu, that you don’t worry about the moralities of people who,

Nuhu Ribadu: Let me tell you, don’t even go there, for God’s sake, the fact that I’m not going to work to make Mr. Tinubu my President , rather it is the AC as a party that is working to make me a President. Tinubu is not AC for God’s sake, and that is not even the issue, what about Fashola, is Fashola not doing very well? Is he not in the ACN? What about Governor Oshiomole, are they not also Nigerians who are doing very well? They are probably the two best Governors in Nigeria today. They are part of the ACN. Tinubu or no Tinubu, they are performing, why is it that Nuhu Ribadu will not be in the same platform to make a difference for our country? Why is it that simply because I’ve joined.

If you are talking about what is happening today in our country? Have you seen what is happening in the PDP? Have you seen the people who are in PDP? You want me to go there? Or you want me to go into a sectional ethnic party? Am not going to do that, I’m a true Nigerian, I’m a Nigerian that see Nigeria as one constituency, I will not go to a party that is, the foundation of which is just corruption. I am going to a party that has shown that you can do good governance. I’ve seen it in Fashola, I’ve seen it in what Adams tried to do for the country. And that is the reason why I’m going there. I am not going to Tinubu or any other individual, rather it is because of the example of good governance that I have seen, and I think that is good enough for me as a reason to be there.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by netotse(m): 3:13pm On Oct 08, 2010
archaic mindset? notice i refrained from positing they were smarter than the NL crowd because such generalizations are counter-productive.

both NVS and NL are very different, they cater to different sets of people and as such the ideas there differ, can you for a second try to imagine why your beloved NR would let himself be interviewed by NVS if they were as terrible as you make them out to be?

guy we're not here to discuss the different forums but still your generalizations are wayyyy of the mark
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by bawomolo(m): 3:21pm On Oct 08, 2010
after an attack of this magnitude.

in a civilized world, resignations would be flying left and right.

in china and saudi-arabia, heads would be hung left and right.

in nigeria, rumours and legends would be flying left and right.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 3:29pm On Oct 08, 2010
netotse:

archaic mindset? notice i refrained from positing they were smarter than the NL crowd because such generalizations are counter-productive.

both NVS and NL are very different, they cater to different sets of people and as such the ideas there differ, can you for a second try to imagine why your beloved NR would let himself be interviewed by NVS if they were as terrible as you make them out to be?

guy we're not here to discuss the different forums but still your generalizations are wayyyy of the mark

Lets be frank . You yourself mentioned that NVS forumers are older than Nairalanders. I hope you are not insinuation the usual cliche that elderly age equates wisdom . That NVS forumers are older would explain why many are jaded . Afterall Babangida said the young are not ready to lead , echoing the sentiments of many elderly Nigerians, when Obama, David Cameron and Nick Clegg are all under 50. The comments on Ribadu's interviews , from many , were totally lacking in objectivity. If NVS forumers imagine that the leader Nigeria needs right now is a candidate that can articulate a presentation on complex economic model , with fancy spreadsheet to boot, then their mindset is even more "archaic" than I thought. No doubt there are areas Ribadu can learn and improve upon. I admit this because , like Ribadu, his fans tend to be honest unlike those who come here to lie and claim their candidate to be what they are not. Ribadu himself, in the same interview, posits that no one individual can have all the solutions. What is important is for leaders to support the meritocratic emergence of other leaders in putting square pegs in square holes to move Nigeria forward . You say you will support GEJ. Tell me how many of his appointment are meritocratic and how many symbolise the clueless redeployment of those who have nothing to offer (Danjuma, et al) and have gotten Nigeria where it is today? While Ribadu is embracing the most progressive Nigerians , and they are responding with undiluted approval of the former EFCC boss, what is GEJ, IBB and others doing? I think when all is said and done it will suffice to say that Ribadu understands and is committed to fighting our greatest nemesis , i.e corruption, far better than virtually all the other candidates.

Nigerians are warned to choose wisely.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by jamace(m): 3:34pm On Oct 08, 2010
Thank God GEJ has the opportunity to redeem his image but IBB is too bloody to be redeemed.
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by netotse(m): 4:15pm On Oct 08, 2010
i simply meant our thought processes would be different, you're unlikely to find a thread talking about who the most handsome forum member is, or how all black women should be shot, drawn and quartered because there are no juvenile delinquents running amok.

BTW, i'll have you know there are more pro-ribadu ppl there than anti-ribadu. . .
Re: Gej, You Can Still Redeem Yourself by Gbawe: 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2010
Faeb:

I saw the interview and laughed my head off. I like Ribadu, but he just isn't ready, not at all! So many things wrong, he still had to explain and re-explain for the umpteenth time, his unfortunate quip about 5000 policemen stopping violent crime in a nation of 150 million. It was frankly embarrassing. I was going to post it here, but thought it would be too much.

Nairalanders, judge for yourself. It is election season and we must all be aware of the modus operandi of News agencies who deliberately misrepresent certain candidate to benefit their sponsors and paymasters.

http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/nvs/candidate-interviews-2-mallam-nuhu-ribadu-on-security.html

NVS:  Could you clarify a statement that you recently made; you said something about using 5,000 policemen to solve our security problems, what was that all about?

Nuhu Ribadu: I didn’t say so, this is the tragedy about individuals and the media, I never said a thing like this. What I said was with 5,000 policemen you can stop violent crime. You see, I’m a policeman, I know internal working of the police force. You see, in the police we have what they call anti robbery squad, we have the departments, different, different departments, today that units is not up to two to three thousnd people  and that is wrong, we need to get qualified quality people, a number maybe like 5,000 and with 5,000 people well trained on issues to do with violent crime you can stop it, that is the point I was making.

I did not say that Nigeria needs 5,000 policemen, this is the sad story, I tried to even compare it, I said how many thousands of policemen today are guarding VIPs and how many are there in the anti-robbery squad. This is the point I was trying to make.

50,000 of our policemen today go to guard duty, 50,000 minimum go to duty for VIPs, It is a waste. If you have a solid quality trained policemen, 5,000 of them on the issues to do with violent crime like armed robbery, kidnapping, and things like that you would stop those violent crime that is causing so much havoc for our people. That’s the point I was trying to make, I cannot say that 5,000 policemen is enough to do policing in Nigeria, No.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Assessment Of Judgement Of The President: Goodluck Jonathan / IBB, Abubakar, Atiku, Others In Secret Meeting •strategise For 2015 / There’s A Grand Christian Conspiracy Against Nigerian Muslims, JNI Claims

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.