Stats: 3,152,770 members, 7,817,132 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:49 AM

Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! (34450 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Tornadoz(m): 12:47am On May 11, 2007
@naijaking1
Because of the ignoramus in our midst.
This is the biggest bull I've heard all week, but since it makes some people happy, its all good.

@Topic
Word of warning, do not say this to an Historian, they will laugh at you.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by sisimose(f): 2:56am On May 11, 2007
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by temmyabby(f): 11:19am On May 11, 2007
interesting, grin , and what is this I see, abeg stop the hating ooo , at least there is no white man here that we would say that it is white man causing the problem, grow up, 1 luv kiss
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by londoner: 12:26pm On May 11, 2007
Yes I've also heard that the Igbos, well some, came from Egypt area, that may explain the complexion. Also the Jewish connection is quite obvious. However I dont see why people think it a fallacy that Igbo's or any present day west African could have been part of the great marvel that is the pyramids, is greatness and wisdom reserved for every other type of Black man but the west African?

What is it exactly that discounts Igbo's or Nigerians in building the pyramids, is it too much above our ability?

If we heard it was the Arabs, the English or the Chinese, we wouldn't be laughing it off as a wives tale like some of us are doing now, it shows how little we esteem ourselves.

I really hope they investigate it further.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by sartorius(m): 1:40pm On May 11, 2007
i dont still believe
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by sartorius(m): 1:45pm On May 11, 2007
take a look at the  world map, it is believed that the world was one united parcel of land, due to rotation the various continents tend to drift away form each other, no link
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by docokwy(m): 5:09pm On May 11, 2007
sartorius:

i don't still believe

Your belief or not is crassly inconsequential. Who the hell are you?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by omoge(f): 7:48pm On May 11, 2007
which state is this in? well, i'd love to see it sha. it will save me money going to Egypt.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by omoge(f): 7:51pm On May 11, 2007
My Prof said the same thing in one of my Evolution class. He's from Quinsland, and he used the Grand Canyon in Arizona as a good example.

sartorius:

take a look at the  world map, it is believed that the world was one united parcel of land, due to rotation the various continents tend to drift away form each other, no link
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by BigSis(f): 9:11pm On May 11, 2007
Romeo,

You stank mama!

Naijaboy,

Nigeria is a dismal failure.  It is a disgrace to the black world.  The failure of Nigeria is failure of you and your fathers.  I don't have to justify my greatness to you.  I know my people are great.  You can't even run your own country.  Oh yeah, I forgot the whites run it.  A man who can't run his own house and control his own resources in the land of his fathers is no man.  He is a coward, a punk.  That is what you and your papa are.  Nothing.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Ollie39: 9:15pm On May 11, 2007
Whats so fantastic about building or not building the pyramids?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ebeledi(m): 9:37pm On May 11, 2007
@ ELoddy or what ever u call yourself

pyramids have been built all over africa
in great zimbabwe, the ashanti region all built great pyramids
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ebeledi(m): 9:41pm On May 11, 2007
at big sis or what ever you call yourself
it is easy to talk about negative things about a country but there are great things that nigeria has done to other countries
and nigeria is the last country in africa that would be ran by a white man
it is just like looking at the statistics of black people in USand taking that of an overall view of the community as drugdeallers, gangstas, baby mamas
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by grafikdon: 10:03pm On May 11, 2007
Bigsis, I don't think you know much about Nigeria apart from 'what you heard'. Nigeria run by whites? That was a joke, right?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by temmyabby(f): 10:59pm On May 11, 2007
BigSis:

Romeo,

You stank mama!

Naijaboy,

Nigeria is a dismal failure. It is a disgrace to the black world. The failure of Nigeria is failure of you and your fathers. I don't have to justify my greatness to you. I know my people are great. You can't even run your own country. Oh yeah, I forgot the whites run it. A man who can't run his own house and control his own resources in the land of his fathers is no man. He is a coward, a punk. That is what you and your papa are. Nothing.
@ Big sis, if you are frustrated with yourself pathetic life, take it out on yourself
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by redsun(m): 2:39am On May 12, 2007
Colour is just a word,it is man made,english,it is just a name,it's not the real thing,rename it.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Nobody: 6:17pm On May 12, 2007
BigSis is a frustrated naija hater and she seems to relish causing problems all over the entire forum. You guys check out her  previous posts on other threads and just ignore her for the barely literate cow she is.
lipsrsealed
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ebeledi(m): 9:50pm On May 14, 2007
you can definetly tell her frustration on naija by reading her post
look how many negativity she says about it
she might be going through alot
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Jen33(m): 1:24am On May 17, 2007
Diodorus of Sicily - 91 BC to 20 BC

Diodorus devoted an entire chapter of his world history, the Bibliotheke Historica, or Library of History (Book 3), to the Africans ["Aithiopians"]. Here he repeats the story of their great piety, their high favor with the gods, and adds the fascinating legend that they were the first of all men created by the gods and were the founders of Egyptian civilization, invented writing, and given the Egyptians their religion and culture. (3.3.2).

"Now they relate that of all people the Aithiopians were the earliest, and say that the proofs of this are clear. That they did not arrive as immigrants but are the natives of the country and therefore rightly are called authochthonous is almost universally accepted. That those who live in the South are likely to be the first engendered by the earth is obvious to all. For as it was the heat of the sun that dried up the earth while it was still moist, at the time when everything came into being, and caused life, they say it is probable that it was the region closest to the sun that first bore animate beings".

[160,000-year-old fossilized skulls uncovered in Ethiopia are oldest anatomically modern humans.]

Diodorus continues:

"They further write that it was among them that people were first taught to honor the gods and offer sacrifices and arrange processions and festivals and perform other things by which people honor the divine. For this reason their piety is famous among all men, and the sacrifices among the Aithiopians are believed to be particularly pleasing to the divinity,"

"The Aithiopians say that the Egyptians are settlers from among themselves and that Osiris was the leader of the settlement.The customs of the Egyptians, they say, are for the most part Aithiopian, the settlers having preserved their old traditions. For to consider the kings gods, to pay great attention to funeral rites, and many other things, are Aithiopian practices, and also the style of their statues and the form of their writing are Aithiopian. Also the way the priestly colleges are organized is said to be the same in both nations. For all who have to do with the cult of the gods, they maintain, are [ritually] pure: the priests are shaved in the same way, they have the same robes and the type of scepter shaped like a plough, which also the kings have, who use tall pointed felt hats ending in a knob, with the snakes that they call the asp (aspis) coiled round them."

"There are also numerous other Aithiopian tribes [i.e. besides those centered at Meroe]; some live along both sides of the river Nile and on the islands in the river, others dwell in the regions that border on Arabia [i.e. to the east], others again have settled in the interior of Libya [i.e. to the west]. The majority of these tribes, in particular those who live along the river, have black skin, snub-nosed faces, and curly hair".

(Diodous Siculus, Bibliotheke, 3. Translated by Tomas Hagg, in Fontes Historiae Nubiorum, vol. II: From the Mid-Fifth to the First Century BC (Bergen, Norway, 1996))
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Jen33(m): 3:05am On May 17, 2007
Brainwave:

Egyptian Creator God was known as Ra

Igbo Creator God often referred to by the term Chukwu[b]ra[/b]
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Nobody: 1:42am On May 18, 2007
Chukwura?. . .What are you talking about?. . .Chukwura does not refer to God the Creator, I can't decipher exactly what it means but it doesn't refer to creation.

Igbo Creator God is called Chineke!
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Ynot(m): 5:10am On May 18, 2007
Chukwura means 'God, leave me alone'.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Nobody: 5:39am On May 18, 2007
Yeah that's what it means!. . .God let go!

Ynot how far?. . .Your people built pyramids huh? grin
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Ynot(m): 8:54pm On May 18, 2007
My brother, i don't know how to put my finger mouth on the issue. We all know Africans don't usually get credit for their work but i honestly don't know what we are going to accomplish by claiming we built pyramids. I can understand if knowing this will boost our confidence to develop our dear country and communities further.

Why do we love to live in past glory? My apologies to historians and believers of this myth. We built the pyramids, so what? What do we have to show for it today?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Jen33(m): 1:06am On May 19, 2007
Yknot said:

My brother, i don't know how to put my finger on the issue. We all know Africans don't usually get credit for their work but i honestly don't know what we are going to accomplish by claiming we built pyramids.

If you spent the time to read the link rather than talk through your arss without thinking, you'd have seen the link to the University of Bournemouth UK research team which brought the Nsude pyramids to our attention. It's not ''us'' making any ''claim''.

I can understand if knowing this will boost our confidence to develop our dear country and communities further.

If you've no interest in African history and/or archaeolgy, remain in your condition of ignorance. Some people ARE interested, and not necessarily for purposes of ''boosting confidence'', but due to a variety of reasons, intellectual curiosity including.

Why do we love to live in past glory? My apologies to historians and believers of this myth. We built the pyramids, so what? What do we have to show for it today?

Again, you lack a basic appreciation of historical inquiry. I blame it on the dumbing down culture that currently permeates our existence.

Perhaps we should also close down all the history departments in all our schools and universities, and pack up studying history altogether. Afterall, what's the point in knowing what happened to us in the past?

By the way, I'm not sure how artefacts photographed in 1935 by explorers become ''myth'' in your universe, but then again, some people do insist on remaining dumbed down, despite all attempts at rescue.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Olowoaiye(m): 2:45am On May 19, 2007
@ Jen33 the jenerator of ridiculously fallacious threads.

ancient igbos built the pyramids indeed! hahahahaha

am not supposed to respond to this outrageous topic, but the question i have for you is this: why do you always resort to insults and abusive words when people point out the invariably obvious holes in your arguments?

this wasnt directed at me but its quite pathetic cause it was unwarranted and all it did was make you look childish and immature:

If you spent the time to read the link rather than talk through your arss without thinking, you'd have seen the link to the University of Bournemouth UK research team which brought the Nsude pyramids to our attention. It's not ''us'' making any ''claim''.

By the way you just quietly glossed over the Chukwu[b]ra[/b] gaffe
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Ynot(m): 4:18am On May 19, 2007
Jen33:

Yknot said:

If you've no interest in African history and/or archaeolgy, remain in your condition of ignorance. Some people ARE interested, and not necessarily for purposes of ''boosting confidence'', but due to a variety of reasons, intellectual curiosity including.

Again, you lack a basic appreciation of historical inquiry. I blame it on the dumbing down culture that currently permeates our existence.

Perhaps we should also close down all the history departments in all our schools and universities, and pack up studying history altogether. Afterall, what's the point in knowing what happened to us in the past?

By the way, I'm not sure how artefacts photographed in 1935 by explorers become ''myth'' in your universe, but then again, some people do insist on remaining dumbed down, despite all attempts at rescue.

I don't usually insult people on public forum but since you asked for it, here it comes. First, my user id is Ynot not Yknot. You are either retarded, stupid or both. Idiots like you are the reason the world is so <bleep> up the way it is today. I'm an arse because i didn't buy the bullshit you're forcing down my throat? and you call that history? oh please, if you don't know the definition of history, ask and i will educate you.

So we built a pyramid, we should start a parade huh? What are you going to gain by informing us about a freaking pyramid? Fool, other nations are busy advancing in technology to improve their agricultural yield to feed the hungry and you are here telling us about damn pyramids. Infact, screw you and your pyramids.

Yeah, go ahead, beat yourself on the chest like a monkey that you obviously are. You want me to believe you are now intelligent because you saw a link that someone else posted online and believed the story? Right, am the ignorant one. Fool.

Next you will come up with a link that showed how your family members worked tirelessly to build the Empire State Building.

Last word: forget about the pyramids claim. You're never going to go anywhere with that at least not with real historians. We've already accepted that the whites screwed mother Africa. Use your time to develop something that can be useful to mankind and if you really want to teach history, find something interesting, useful and that can be proven not to mention believable.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Jen33(m): 10:58am On May 19, 2007
I won't bother responding to you two dolts separately. I'll just be brief.

Your inferiority complex blinds you to what is in fact an easily verifiable archaeological discovery made and photographed by the British in 1935.

http://csweb.bournemouth.ac.uk/africanlegacy/culture.htm

http://csweb.bournemouth.ac.uk/africanlegacy/index.htm

Now, Unless you are implying:

1) That the photographs are fake, or doctored by the archaeological team of Bournemouth University, or

2) That the archaeological team at Bournemouth University are a bunch of frauds and dreamers with nothing better to do than provide fake photographs to tickle Africans and themselves;

3) That the British officials who photographed the artefacts in 1935 were mischievious
     foreigners who erected the thousand year-old artefact themselves, perhaps by engaging
     in time travel;

4) And you can provide conclusive proof of any of the above;

Failing which I suggest you both shut your traps, rid yourselves of your advanced inferiority complex, and seek redemption for your gross insults upon the African heritage.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Jen33(m): 11:16am On May 19, 2007
Some people have asked really DUMB questions here such as ''well we built the pyramids, so what''?

But the English man doesn't say, ''well we built Stonehenge, so what?''

Instead he researches Stonehenge, researches what inspired the people to construct it, makes documentaries and movies about it, invites scholars from across the world to attend seminars on it, to decipher its meaning, its import, and then he converts the site into a world class tourist center filled with tour guides, information leaflets, souvenirs and facilities for guests, and makes a ton while creating employment for his people.

Our resident inferiorized, ignorant, colonised Nigerian blockheads on the other hand would simply shrug their shoulders with the words, ''we built the Nsude pyramids. So what?''

And go about their business.

After insulting the person(s) bringing it to their attention.

End of story. Finish.

THE DIFFERENCE, as they say, IS CLEAR.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Ynot(m): 7:29pm On May 19, 2007
My friend don't dish it out if you can't take it. I can see you've got nothing better to do with your time other than look for fictitious links you called history. Its ironic how the same people you claimed brainwashed me are the only source of your imaginary pyramids. How pathetic is that?

I'm really tired of your insolent comments. Seems like you simply can't make use of that jello you called brain.

So why don't your just do us all a favor and call yourself an idiot.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Jen33(m): 9:05pm On May 19, 2007
My friend don't dish it out if you can't take it. I can see you've got nothing better to do with your time other than look for fictitious links you called history.

Fictitious links? Are you insane? There's nothing fictitious about a link to a recognised UK university archaeology and conservation department. Especially one that's been known to excavate sites in West Africa for decades.

The only thing ''fictitious'' here is that excuse for a brain you've got tucked in your skull,

Its ironic how the same people you claimed brainwashed me are the only source of your imaginary pyramids. How pathetic is that?

Imaginary pyramids? I bet you haven't even read the links I posted. If you doubt that these structures existed, why not conduct an enquiry by visiting the location to see if the ruins are there or not?

Why would Dr Patrick Darling of Bournemouth University, known as one of Britain's foremost conservation archaeologists, and his team present photos of an ''imaginary pyramid'' on their university website - one that details their admirable excavation and exploration of several other artefacts and ruins, including the Kano Walls, the Old Oyo ruins, the Eredo Earthworks (Africa's largest man made structure) in Ijebu Ode, and the Benin Rampart?

Why would this esteemed professional and his team of dedicated archaeologists produce photos of an ''imaginary pyramid''?

What makes you imagine that this university archaeogical team that's explored and excavated virtually every ancient site in West Africa for 20 odd years will produce an ''imaginary pyramid'', which can easily be verified as such, and jeopardise their entire academic, and professional credibility

To what end?

Bros, you must have rocks for brains.

Do a google on Dr Patrick Darling and educate yourself, you cocky illiterate.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Ynot(m): 12:12pm On May 21, 2007
You just can't let this go, can you? I would say you are one of the dumbest idiots i've ever met. Of course you know that already, don't you?

Imaginary pyramids? I bet you haven't even read the links I posted. If you doubt that these structures existed, why not conduct an enquiry by visiting the location to see if the ruins are there or not?

I believe part of the job description of an archaeologist is to document their work. Unfortunately, your "esteemed professional and his team of dedicated archaeologists" forgot to tell us how tall or even the size of your "photographed" pyramids. Anyone can build a sand castle and call it a pyramid. Infact, give me some mud and i will build you one, tonight!!!.

But the English man doesn't say, ''well we built Stonehenge, so what?''

Instead he researches Stonehenge, researches what inspired the people to construct it,
makes documentaries and movies about it, invites scholars from across the world to attend seminars on it, to decipher
its meaning, its import, and then he converts the site into a world class tourist center filled with tour guides,
information leaflets, souvenirs and facilities for guests, and makes a ton while creating employment for his people.

The Stonehenge you stupidly mentioned was added to world heritage site for one reason and one reason only - It was unique. There is nothing remotely unique about your imaginary pyramid. Trust me, no one in their right mind will pay you to see that. We already have a recognized one in Egypt known for its magnificent architectural brilliancy. If you tell me with evidentiary support of course, that black Pharaohs engineered that, maybe just maybe i will believe you. Don't worry if and when you come up with something unique, i promise to pay Oliver de Coque to praise it to high heavens in his next album.

Why would this esteemed professional and his team of dedicated archaeologists produce photos of an ''imaginary pyramid''?

Oh you don't know? Of course they are trying to make you happy (without proper documentation i might add) so you can jump up and down as you are now doing, making fool of yourself thinking you've done something so wonderful. Just so you know, you are beginning to sound like Emeagwari in disguise.

I told you earlier to forget about this. Tell us something interesting like how your father/grandfather fought during the biafran war. I'm sure that will be interesting unless he was a coward as you turned out to be.

Well, this is it for me. If you still insist your dead fathers built mount everest, i wish you nothing but good luck in your quest. Next time, unless you have something you can honestly prove, keep it to yourself. Thank you.

Do a google on Dr Patrick Darling and educate yourself, you cocky illiterate.

Cocky? oh what the hell, maybe a Lil. illiterate? NO, i don't think so.

Dancing Igbo Egedege Music With My Russian Girlfriend / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / Wicked Widowhood Practices That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69