Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,092 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! (34416 Views)

Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA / Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by lucabrasi(m): 1:27pm On Apr 09, 2009
presido1:

At the same time u wrote the quote below.
Then u asked what next.

Why not tell us your annoyance.
i am simply echoing the part of ynot's comment that i agreed with,which is that apart from being a tourist attraction and an archaeological find bla bla bla [b]assuming for the sake of argument[/b]this is different from agreeing with it,i dont!

my only annoyance is the delusions of grandeur being exhibited,one naija proverb says if you dream of winning a large amount of money in your dream,when you wake up,dont just sit down and expect the money to miraculously come to you,this is what is happening here,because of some erroneous find by some obscure professor in a university that isnt even in the top 50 universities in the uk,a university whose research quality is 0.7 out of a total mark of 7.0,is that a pass or fail for researches??and its been posted as some form of trophy justifying ethnic superiority, obviously because it reinforces some people's ethnic superiority,they are not bothered that the university scoring a poor or dismal failure in research on the university rankings isnt an indictment on any research findings, the man is suddenly"world renowed expert" grin grin
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 8:24pm On Apr 09, 2009
lucabrasi:

i am simply echoing the part of ynot's comment that i agreed with,which is that apart from being a tourist attraction and an archaeological find bla bla bla [b]assuming for the sake of argument[/b]this is different from agreeing with it,i dont!

my only annoyance is the delusions of grandeur being exhibited,one naija proverb says if you dream of winning a large amount of money in your dream,when you wake up,dont just sit down and expect the money to miraculously come to you,this is what is happening here,because of some erroneous find by some obscure professor in a university that isnt even in the top 50 universities in the uk,a university whose research quality is 0.7 out of a total mark of 7.0,is that a pass or fail for researches??and its been posted as some form of trophy justifying ethnic superiority, obviously because it reinforces some people's ethnic superiority,they are not bothered that the university scoring a poor or dismal failure in research on the university rankings isnt an indictment on any research findings, the man is suddenly"world renowed expert" grin grin

1. Ok, well done for using The Times Good university guide (you do know that you can't rely on those league tables? And the research was done before the 2008 Good university guide)

2. The fact that you think someone posting a topic about pyramids built by Igbo people "ethnic superiority", shows that it is not Igbo people, but you that does not see the Igbo as equally Nigerian. Your tone also reveals intense resentment and jealousy about Igbo people. And no, I do not beleive that Igbo people (a nation of over 30 million) can be collectively "superior" to anyone else. Funny thing is that you do. . . . . . . .
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 8:29pm On Apr 09, 2009
Hardballer:

i think i should point out at this time that those are just stacks of mud each one larger than the last . . . lol but the shape can be said to be a pyramid , could people live inside of those ?

You should have known that the reason why it was made with "stacks of mud" is because those were the only building in abundance in a dense rain forest. The reason why a stacks of mud is important is because the shape (pyramid) culturally links to places outside of Igboland (Egypt) without them actually seeing the pyramids of Giza.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by lucabrasi(m): 12:05am On Apr 10, 2009
ezeagu:

1. Ok, well done for using The Times Good university guide (you do know that you can't rely on those league tables? And the research was done before the 2008 Good university guide)

2. The fact that you think someone posting a topic about pyramids built by Igbo people "ethnic superiority", shows that it is not Igbo people, but you that does not see the Igbo as equally Nigerian. Your tone also reveals intense resentment and jealousy about Igbo people. And no, I do not beleive that Igbo people (a nation of over 30 million) can be collectively "superior" to anyone else. Funny thing is that you do. . . . . . . .
what other league fo we have that is on point reliable in knowing these things?secondly i scholled in the uk so as far as university ratings are concerned i know for a fact that the times guide is as good a guide as any you can use.

1.same way the poster cant rely on a random professor just because he is white and teaching in a british university, going by your assertion,the professor wasnt there when these things were built as well,so how sure are we really that he is accurate in his findings?see the logic or illogical conclusions in your assertions?
2 i dont think igbos or any tribe for that matter are superior to the other,that is the whole point of my comments,but if you care to check the fellow(romeo the biafran revolutionaire)who took me up on my comments and all his past comments and contributions on issues such as these,you will get a clear picture of both his mind set,and that of his revolutionaires/compatriots about other tribes in nigeria, its always the same thing,ibos are descendant of the jews,they are from egypt,they are the best educated,invented this and that e.t.cdont worry he knows what im talking about,its not his first time.

as for resentment,hell naw i have no time for that,and i also have a life so i wont start giving myself high bp over some infantille delusions of grandeur exhibited by a minute number of people as a feel good factor
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 12, 2009
redsun i'm interested in your peoples oral history, please imortalize it here.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ONODUGO(m): 12:35pm On Jul 18, 2009
As one of the true son of the famous Nsude,the Clan head of Oshie, the custodian community where the world fourth largest ancient pyramids the great Nsude pyramid were located, I stand to shed more light on the might and fact surrounding the pyramid situated in Uto hill( Uto is Nsude deity of the ancient time) in Ugwu uto Village- Nsude in Udi LGA -Enugu state South Eastern Nigeria, Nsude is the backbone and the elder brother of EKE community the second son of Oshie Anugwu the anscentral father of the famous Eze Onyeama n'Eke(King Onyeama of Eke) the greatest King ever lived east of the Niger besides King Jaja of OPOBO, Okwuluoha Agbaja(Eze Onyeama n'Eke) welded his enormous power from his Nsude brothers who shielded and protected him through out his reign as King of the East of the Niger, Nsude is notted for their sheer bravado and warrior whom defeat all their enemies especially those that stand against their Okwuluoha Agbaja.

Therefor I welcome all well meaning inquiries from scholars, Archaeologist , educationists, e.t.c who want to have first class and indept information's regarding the above subject as I stand to shed more light on the matter.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 5:51pm On Jul 18, 2009
ONODUGO:

As one of the true son of the famous Nsude,the Clan head of Oshie, the custodian community where the world fourth largest ancient pyramids the great Nsude pyramid were located, I stand to shed more light on the might and fact surrounding the pyramid situated in Uto hill( Uto is Nsude deity of the ancient time) in Ugwu uto Village- Nsude in Udi LGA -Enugu state South Eastern Nigeria, Nsude is the backbone and the elder brother of EKE community the second son of Oshie Anugwu the anscentral father of the famous Eze Onyeama n'Eke(King Onyeama of Eke) the greatest King ever lived east of the Niger besides King Jaja of OPOBO, Okwuluoha Agbaja(Eze Onyeama n'Eke) welded his enormous power from his Nsude brothers who shielded and protected him through out his reign as King of the East of the Niger, Nsude is notted for their sheer bravado and warrior whom defeat all their enemies especially those that stand against their Okwuluoha Agbaja.

Therefor I welcome all well meaning inquiries from scholars, Archaeologist , educationists, e.t.c who want to have first class and indept information's regarding the above subject as I stand to shed more light on the matter.

Okay, thanks for the information, but if you don't mind I have some questions I hope you would please answer for me if you can, they are the following:

Do the pyramids still exist? When were they built? Why were they built? Who were they built by? What was used to build them?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ONODUGO(m): 4:25pm On Jul 19, 2009
The location of the pyramids were sacred, devoted and dedicated to a deity called Uto Nsude in Ugwu (hill) Uto village, one among the ten villages that made up of the (My) town called Nsude. The pyramid still exist till date, Its important to note that Nsude were noted for their victorious wars with their enemies of which other neighbouring town do hire them to fight for them when the needs occurs and in such cases ultimate victory is assured. The pyramids and its environ also serve meeting points when sensitive issue were to be discussed due to is location and obscurity during the reign of Eze Okwuluogha (EZE ONYE AMA NEKE) of Eke.

In Udi LGA Enugu State, the most popular clan is OSHIE Clan(Oshie Aniugwu), Osie Clan consist of the children of Agbaja i.e Oshe grand parent, Oshie married to NNUDE and they both had seven children altogether namely:,Nsude the worrior,as first son, followed by Eke from where the legend EZE ONYE AMA NEKE(Chief Onyeama n’Eke ) comes from, others were Nneke(the only daughter of Oshie)followed by Udi, Abia, Amaokwe (its not clear what made some part of AMaokwe to be excluded from among oshie clan up till today) then the last son of oshie being OBOIMA is partly recognize as a son of Oshie due to various reason as I was informed,
1., It was said that OBIOMA the last son of Oshie eat Udele(Vulture) which was and is still forbidden in many communities world over till date, hence they were called OBIOMA NWAOSHIE OLI UDENE(Obioma the son of Oshie that eat Vulture) and this very offence resulted into many factor responsible for not according them ( Obioma)the rightly recognitions and place as true son of Oshie, which in turn was a result of my town Nsude doing intermarriage with Obioma as non relative.
Oshie communities except Obioma do not intermarry, for they are descended from one man; Intermarriage is totally forbidden between the people of Nsude, Eke, Amaokwe, Abia, and Udi.

The most notable high priest who serve Uto deity, Chief OKWESILIEZE 1 who was born on November 12th 1902 reliably told us that the reason behind the construction of the pyramids were as a result of frequent wars been engaged by Nsudians of the olden days, the Uto hill otherwise known as Udi hill being the highest hill was chosen to erect the pyramids which serves as surveillance platform for the warriors and that at the southern part of the pyramids were two entrance gates though not notable due to camouflage nature of the entrance to avoid unlawful entry by unauthorized person/s.

Its therefore, not true to the best of my knowledge that ''The Nsude pyramids was built in the year in 1935, the date suggested was rather the date the Europeans discovered the great pyramid during one of their exploration mission in Nsude, The exploration mission started in 1891,The white Brithish man named LUKE Walter whom we referred to (Luke nwa owerri) who did geographical survey and explorations for solid mineral in various places in Nsude including the UTO HILL.

Why i refute the assertion that the pyramid was built in 1935 was because the High priests whom i know very well told us that his father were among those that supervised the Constance repair and beatifications of the pyramid with local materials made of Red Ulo( Red starchy mud), Nsi Efi(Feces from cow) and Obara(A Local dye tapped from tree) and that his father was not born when the said pyramid was constructed.

The commander of Nsude warrior through out the reign of Chief Onyeama n’Eke is UTO a strong man from the Ugwu (hill)village named after the warrior Uto which subsequently bear its name till date as Uwgu Uto VILLAGE, during one of the most fearful war with Chief Onyeama n’Eke `s enemy.before he died in the battle among the promises made to him (Uto) was that the Uto hill will be consecrated and serve as his memorial place, he was buried there and up till today a week long ceremony were set aside to worship and commemorate his bravado by all of Oshie sons and daughter called NKWA DAY which is one of the greatest Nsude feast and festival ever recorded and best of all kind of festival in Enugu state till date. The mode of dressing during the Nkwa festive were likened to the one been worn by soldiers in battle, with total olden days military fatigues of all type, heavy noise commoted item like a mass of metal gong about 600 pieces sweed or tied together around the waist to generate heavy noise as it clashed spontaneously, these method adopted made our enemies to cower in fright coppled with 25mm x 3ft Dane gun used in those wars added to the famous Okpo Na Ani(Ground Granade) made with local Charcoal Gun Powder and palm kanel fronds.

These feast is cerebrated on Uka Afor market day on the beginning /middle of November every two years, you need to witness this festival to understand what am talking about, if you happen to be in Ogbete, New/Old market or infact every other motor parks Enugu State be least assured that you will never get a bus to other destination other than the ones going to Nsude for the Nkwa festival.

Onyeama was born around 1870s, the youngest of the ten children of Özö Omulu Onwusi,from EKE town in Udi LGA Enugu State Nigeria.

Chief Onodugo based in Europe
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Thor(m): 4:36pm On Jul 19, 2009
No wonder they are falling apart grin grin grin
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ONODUGO(m): 5:30pm On Jul 19, 2009
Mr.Thor I hardly understand what you mean by your statement, am afraid if you are from Nija, talkless of being an Igbo man
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 8:48pm On Jul 19, 2009
Thank you Onodugo for answering my questions, we might as well consider the Nsude pyramids as not only a Nigerian heritage site, but an Igbo heritage site.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by redsun(m): 9:09pm On Jul 19, 2009
(redsun i'm interested in your peoples oral history, please imortalize it here)

Honestly,it is quite a long story.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ONODUGO(m): 9:23pm On Jul 19, 2009
I will on my next topic enlighten our citizen more on the legendary reign of Eze Onye Ama Neke Uwusi( Okwulu Oha Agbaja)Chief Onye Ama Neke, the paramount Igbo traditional Chief from Agbaja, the father of both Delibe Onye Ama, Mr. Justice Charles Dadi Umeha Onyeama, of the Court of Justice in the Hague Netherlands.the first Nigerian judge to the World Court of Justice , Chief Justice Byron Onyeama,and Alhaji Suleiman Onyeama
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by redsun(m): 9:32pm On Jul 19, 2009
Nna, the pyramid really shows that our people were not as stupid as oyinbo made them out to be,leafs cladded,semi naked dusty africans without any concept of ingenious architecture and engineering
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 10:05pm On Jul 19, 2009
redsun:

Nna, the pyramid really shows that our people were not as stupid as oyinbo made them out to be,leafs cladded,semi naked dust africans without any concept of ingenious architecture and engineering

What's wrong with being semi-naked in a baking hot country?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by redsun(m): 10:13pm On Jul 19, 2009
Semi naked is not a problem but they put it in such a way like africans lack the concept of clothing.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 9:29am On Jul 22, 2009
redsun:

Semi naked is not a problem but they put it in such a way like africans lack the concept of clothing.

Oh, I understand.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Horus(m): 9:58pm On Aug 22, 2009
[flash=450,350]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geR5Kxo0MJA[/flash]

Ancient Egyptian language and Igbo
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by NiggNogg(m): 2:11pm On Aug 23, 2009
There is evidence that the ancestors of the Igbo people and most of their neighbors were the proto-Kwa group, which came from the African Great Lakes and Mountains of the Moon of East and Central Africa and settled at the old Sahara grasslands. It was the desertification of the Sahara that forced some of the Kwa people to migrate farther south to the north of the Niger Benue confluence and founded Nok!
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by KB1(m): 5:06pm On Aug 23, 2009
cheesy LOL at folks getting excited over stacks of mud. I'm sorry, but this is nothing to get excited about; it'll be different if these things actually had livable hollow interiors or something, but no, they're just stacks of mud. I'm not impressed.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by THEAMAKA(f): 5:48pm On Aug 23, 2009
wow! people are always finding a way to connect every african and say that this person stole this or this person came from that person.

STRAIGHT UP, EVERYONE CAME FROM WHAT IS NOW SOUTHERN ETHIOPIA AND NORTHERN KENYA.
WE ARE ALL FROM THOSE SAME PEOPLE SO WE ARE ALL CONNECTED.

WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS, SO? NEITHER DO MOST OF THEM IDENTIFY WITH THEMSELVES AS AFRICANS.
PLEASE DONT GET YOUR PANTIES BUNCHED UP.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 6:53pm On Aug 23, 2009
KB1:

cheesy LOL at folks getting excited over stacks of mud. I'm sorry, but this is nothing to get excited about; it'll be different if these things actually had livable hollow interiors or something, but no,  they're just stacks of mud. I'm not impressed.

What are the Pyramids of Giza? . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . stack's of rocks "with hollow interiors".

THE AMAKA:

WHO GIVES A DAMN ABOUT THE ANCIENT EGYPTIANS, SO? NEITHER DO MOST OF THEM IDENTIFY WITH THEMSELVES AS AFRICANS.

I didn't know the Ancient Egyptians still exist, but that's not the point, what's with all the capitals? Did you post that ^^^ in the right thread?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by NiggNogg(m): 8:08pm On Aug 23, 2009
Comparing the antiquities of the Igbo people and ancient Egyptians is unfortunately like comparing plastic with gold  sad sad

5,000 years ago, Africa did not exist in name and the naming of the continents is a fairly new event. They would have thought of themselves as Egyptians!
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by THEAMAKA(f): 8:15pm On Aug 23, 2009
hmmmm very intelligent statement.
are you igbo?
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 8:22pm On Aug 23, 2009
NiggNogg:

Comparing the antiquities of the Igbo people and ancient Egyptians is unfortunately like comparing plastic with gold  sad sad

Do you mean in meaning of the antiquities or do you mean in shiny and sparkly stuff used to make them?

Because they had those:

The meaning of antiquities is much more important than the material's used in making them. A piece of plank might be molded to represent the solar system, whereas a golden palace may just be that. . . . .
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by NiggNogg(m): 10:09pm On Aug 23, 2009
I still do not think you can compare the two!
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 12:42pm On Aug 24, 2009
NiggNogg:

I still do not think you can compare the two!

Well a lot of wealthy foreigners who would shell out a couple of thousand $/£ would:

LOT 119

MASQUE, AFIKPO IGBO, NIGERIA
[
AN AFIKPO IGBO MASK, NIGERIA

]

8,000—12,000 EUR
Lot Sold.  Hammer Price with Buyer's Premium:  10,000 EUR

READ CONDITION REPORT
EMAIL THIS LOT TO A FRIEND

CONVERT CURRENCY
KEY TO LOT SYMBOLS

MEASUREMENTS

measurements
haut. 62 cm

alternate measurements
24 1/2 in

DESCRIPTION

composé d'une succession de formes géométriques, le visage en cône marqué par une nervure médiane dentelée projetée en haut relief et par les yeux en fentes s'étirant sur sa largeur. Il est surmonté d'une haute palette ajourée de motifs triangulaires. Très belle et épaisse patine croûteuse, avec rehauts de pigments rouges, jaunes et blancs.

CATALOGUE NOTE
Selon Ottenberg (in Paudrat, Kerchache, Stephan, 1988 : 550), les Afikpo ne conservaient que peu d'effigies – contrairement aux Igbo du nord - pour se concentrer sur la création de l'ensemble "masque-costume-danse", qui était leur préoccupation majeure.
Ce type de masque sortait principalement lors de la mascarade Okumkpa – suite de parodies satiriques et de chansons entrecoupées de danses - en présence de centaines de participants (cf. Joubert in R.M.N., 1997 : 286).

http://www.sothebys.com/app/live/lot/LotDetail.jsp?lot_id=159502532

And that's just an ordinary wooden mask . . . . . .
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Thor(m): 1:18pm On Aug 24, 2009
Look at the amount of treasures and the wealth of monuments that survive in Egypt!

Mention a few wooden masks! It is nothing in comparison to ancient Egyptian artifacts. If you have never traveled around Egypt and seen the valley of the kings, Karnak temple and the other great sites you can not begin to understand.

I am not saying that there are no Igbo treasures of any worth, just that they pale into insignificance when compared to that of Ancient Egypt!
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 1:38pm On Aug 24, 2009
Thor:

I am not saying that there are no Igbo treasures of any worth, just that they pale into insignificance when compared to that of Ancient Egypt!

What make Igbo artifacts insignificant to Egyptian ones? Bearing in mind that there has been insignificant archaeological excavating in Igboland, and the most prized ornament's by chance were stubbled upon by farmers.
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Thor(m): 2:21pm On Aug 24, 2009
ezeagu:

What make Igbo artifacts insignificant to Egyptian ones? Bearing in mind that there has been insignificant archaeological excavating in Igboland, and the most prized ornament's by chance were stubbled upon by farmers.

I think you only have to look at what exists to see! I don't for one minute believe that we are going to find a load of long lost Igbo palaces and temples or anywhere near the amount of artifacts that have been found in Egypt.

It is not a competition, just the reality!
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by ezeagu(m): 3:29pm On Aug 24, 2009
Thor:

I think you only have to look at what exists to see! I don't for one minute believe that we are going to find a load of long lost Igbo palaces and temples or anywhere near the amount of artifacts that have been found in Egypt.

It is not a competition, just the reality!

Well are you aware of the long lost artifacts that were found around 40 years ago? I'm glad you know its not a competition because I don't know who thought it was, you guys were trying to tell me that ancient egyptian artifacts make Igbo artifacts insignificant, and I asked you why, and you said indirectly it's because of the way it looks. Bear in mind I have already countered this statement by showing a simple mask that has sold for ten thousand Euro's, compare that to an egyptian mask that's more than a thousand years older than it:

Egyptian Sarcophagus 700-300BC

A very large Ancient Egyptian polychrome painted half sarcophagus lid, dating to approximately 600 B.C. and mounted in a modern frame.

The piece is of typical construction, with flat cedar wood back providing support, on top of which lies the fabric and plaster layer known as cartonnage, which was used by the ancient Egyptians for decorating funerary art.

The depiction is thus that of the deceased, who is shown with heavily idealized features.  The face is well modeled with fleshy, gently smiling lips, small nose, elegant eyebrows and bronze inlaid eyes, themselves inlaid with white and black glass representing the sclera and pupils.  The deceased is depicted mummiform, wearing the striated tripartite wig, the front of which pushes the ears forward, and an elaborate ornamental collar, decorated with fly, lotus flower, rosette and cross-hatch motif.  A stylized scarab beetle adorns the top of the head, its wings spread outward in protection.

Height, including modern frame: 48 inches.

Height of sarcophagus: 33 inches.

Depth from nose to back of sarcophagus: 7 inches.

Condition: Restoration to the right lower wig and approximately a third of the ornamental collar.

Provenance: Ex. Illinois private collection, acquired 1980's.

$13,500.00

http://www.artancient.com/sarcophagussale-p-131.html

That's 9,500 in Euro's, then why is the much older egyptian mask much cheaper than the Igbo mask if Igbo artifacts are insignificant to Egyptian ones? I could go on with examples.

Here are more Egyptian artifacts for sale:

http://www.artancient.com/egyptian-artifacts-sale-c-1_5.html
Re: Ancient Igbos Built Pyramids! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Aug 24, 2009

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Dancing Igbo Egedege Music With My Russian Girlfriend / Wicked Widowhood Practices That Must Be Abolished In Nigeria / Somali Food!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.