Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,510 members, 7,816,233 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:06 AM

Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari (10679 Views)

Tinubu: New Minimum Wage Will Be Fair, Implementable / Presiential Primary: APC Will Be Fair To All Aspirants - Ramatu Tijani Aliyu / 'I Will Continue To Be Fair, Equitable In Federal Appointments' - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by mysidechick(f): 5:25pm On Jul 07, 2019
Nigeria officially joined the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA) as President Muhammadu Buhari signed the Agreement Sunday in Niamey at the opening of the African Union (AU) Summit.

He told the Summit that Nigeria will build on the event by proceeding expeditiously with the ratification of the AfCFTA.

‘‘Nigeria wishes to emphasize that free trade must also be fair trade.

‘‘As African leaders, our attention should now focus on implementing the AfCFTA in a way that develops our economies and creates jobs for our young, dynamic and hardworking population.

‘‘I wish to assure you, that Nigeria shall sustain its strong leadership role in Africa, in the implementation of the AfCFTA. We shall also continue to engage, constructively with all African countries to build the Africa that we want,’’ President Buhari said.

Read Also: Buhari vows punishment for murderous herdsmen, terrorists
The Nigerian leader also congratulated Ghana on being selected to host the Secretariat of the AfCFTA.

President Buhari stated further: ‘‘I have just had the honour of signing the agreement establishing the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA), on behalf of my country, the Federal Republic of Nigeria.

‘‘This is coming over a year since the AfCFTA Agreement was opened for signature in Kigali, Rwanda, at the 10th Extraordinary Summit of the African Union, on 21st March 2018.

‘‘In fact, you will recall that the treaty establishing the African Economic Community was signed in Abuja in 1991.

‘‘We fully understand the potential of the AfCFTA to transform trade in Africa and contribute towards solving some of the continent’s challenges, whether security, economic or corruption.

‘‘But it is also clear to us that for AfCFTA to succeed, we need the full support and buy-in of our private sector and civil society stakeholders and the public in general.

‘‘It is against this background that we embarked on an extensive nationwide consultation and sensitization programme of our domestic stakeholders on the AfCFTA.

‘‘Our consultations and assessments reaffirmed that the AfCFTA can be a platform for African manufacturers of goods and providers of service to construct regional value chains for made in Africa goods and services.

‘‘It was also obvious that we have a lot of work to do to prepare our nation to achieve our vision for intra-African trade which is the free movement of ‘made in Africa goods’ ”.

‘‘Some of the critical challenges that we identified will require our collective action as a Union and we will be presenting them for consideration at the appropriate AfCFTA fora.

‘‘Examples are tackling injurious trade practices by third parties and attracting the investment we need to grow local manufacturing and service capacities.’’ he said

President Buhari noted that Nigeria’s signing of the AfCFTA and its Operational Launch at the 12th Extraordinary Summit was an additional major step. forward on the AU’s Agenda 2063.

With Nigeria and Benin Republic signing the Agreement at the Summit, 54 out of 55 African countries have signed the world’s largest free trade area deal, encompassing 55 countries and 1.2 billion people.

Eritrea is the only African country yet to sign the agreement.

A total of 26 African countries have deposited instruments of ratification, with Gabon being the latest after depositing her instrument of ratification during the Extraordinary Summit.

The AfCFTA Agreement entered into force on May 30, 2019 thirty days after having received the twenty-second instrument of ratification on 29 April, 2019 in conformity with legal provision.

Read more here https://thickmatch.com/free-trade-must-fair-trade-says-buhari/

6 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by ImpregnaTor(m): 5:41pm On Jul 07, 2019
does this man even Know the meaning of fair, or what the free trade is all about...

the only three words that bubu knows is: change, next level and Ruga; even the change and next level I'm not even sure he knows their meanings, if not I'm sure we won't be where we ar today.

i just pity the gullible nigerians that voted this cow master that cannot even lead his 50 gay cows to the stream to take us to the next level.

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by TriggahMan(m): 5:41pm On Jul 07, 2019
At least one can buy stuffs from other part if Africa with less restrictions and tariffs

6 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by chudez0147(m): 5:41pm On Jul 07, 2019
Amen
God bless my president

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Donreiy: 5:42pm On Jul 07, 2019
Hi
Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by akposking(m): 5:42pm On Jul 07, 2019
What is the S.I unit for buhari? Someone said is failure..... Kpa.. Kpai chai who slap me ,,., Dss on the rampage here o..

3 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by markwill3444: 5:42pm On Jul 07, 2019
Buhari has finally killed us. Massive dumping in Nigeria by China and India

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by okirewaju(f): 5:43pm On Jul 07, 2019
Don't get it

Click on my signature and buy data
Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by obembet(f): 5:44pm On Jul 07, 2019
Not like Ruga
Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Ibrahimmrfish(m): 5:45pm On Jul 07, 2019
this is a very bad decision,there is nothing preventing France or any other European countries to build a factory in other countries and flood our market with their products.This is the final nail at our already soon to be dead manufacturing sector.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Abfinest007(m): 5:46pm On Jul 07, 2019
finally he signed it.from next year on watch as buhari will complain on how the trade has affected Nigeria

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by seunfly: 5:46pm On Jul 07, 2019
Ok
Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by opribo(m): 5:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
Ask him to define a free trade zone first of all. Aboki na aboki..

5 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Dwin046(m): 5:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
GoTV:
sad I don't know why we Christians refuse Ruga settlements in the south in order to restore peace. We complain about the destruction of our farms by herdsmen and alleged killings yet we reject Ruga settlements meant to isolate Fulani herdsmen nationwide. What do we Christians really want? Don't we want peace in this country
Are you speaking or spitting...

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Nobody: 5:48pm On Jul 07, 2019
markwill3444:
Buhari has finally killed us. Massive dumping in Nigeria by China and India
Did he signed free trade with China or India? Or you don't know how free trades work?

7 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Rootprof(m): 5:49pm On Jul 07, 2019
GoTV:
sad I don't know why we Christians refuse Ruga settlements in the south in order to restore peace. We complain about the destruction of our farms by herdsmen and alleged killings yet we reject Ruga settlements meant to isolate Fulani herdsmen nationwide. What do we Christians really want? Don't we want peace in this country
We know what you mean by *WE* Abeg shift make we see road,seems your mumu never do.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by nototribalist: 5:51pm On Jul 07, 2019
Mumuu President that doesn't know what he signed

Brainless fooll

5 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Jobac: 5:53pm On Jul 07, 2019
I just hope that Chinese will not take advantage of this trade pact and destroy our locally produced items. We really need to be watchful.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by obaseyi2001: 5:55pm On Jul 07, 2019
Awesome Move in the right direction.
I only hope France and Co will not sabotage this African movement by coniving with some Afrian states thereby disguising their goods in order to avoid tariffs accross African borders..

We sha dey look am as e dey go... shocked

5 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Sanjomi4real(m): 5:55pm On Jul 07, 2019
WATCH PREMIUM DSTV CHANNEL'S LIVE FREE AND IPTVON UR ANDROID PHONE, TV BOX, TABLETS, IPHONE* ETC

WATCH all premium Dstv channel's live free on ur, TV set, android TV box, android phone, Android tablets, laptops. Etc all super sport channel's, all African magic, mnet,nageowild, CNN,nageowild etc 
IPTV CHANNEL
BEINSPORT 1-12
SKYSPORTS 
EUROSPORT
WWW CHANNEL
E

contact me to configured urs. we meet 1 on 1 if ure in Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Arkmanbuddy(m): 5:56pm On Jul 07, 2019
I just pray and hope Nigeria will not be a dump site for all goods from African countries. Fair trade is when we have a viable manufacturing sector with all the factors that enhance it in place.

2 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by obaseyi2001: 5:57pm On Jul 07, 2019
nototribalist:
Mumuu President that doesn't know what he signed

Brainless fooll

I beg to disagree with you coz i dont think you know it either

2 Likes

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Jobac: 5:57pm On Jul 07, 2019
Ibrahimmrfish:
this is a very bad decision,there is nothing preventing France or any other European countries to build a factory in other countries and flood our market with their products.This is the final nail at our already soon to be dead manufacturing sector.
If this should happen, that means we are in soup. I want to believe that Baba Buhari wouldn't have signed it if it will affect our local products.

1 Like

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Jobac: 5:58pm On Jul 07, 2019
Arkmanbuddy:
I just pray and hope Nigeria will not be a dump site for all goods from African countries. Fair trade is when we have a viable manufacturing sector with all the factors that enhance it in place.
I hope so too; custom and immigration need to do a lot to help Nigeria businessmen in this area.

1 Like

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by mujiboy(m): 6:00pm On Jul 07, 2019
TriggahMan:
At least one can buy stuffs from other part if Africa with less restrictions and tariffs

What do we Africans Produce that you’d Like to buy?

1 Like

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Urchman200: 6:04pm On Jul 07, 2019
Does Buhari understand the meaning of free trade?because the only thing he understands is fulanis and Ruga settlement,signing free trade is just hypocritical when u are thinking Ruga for ur country.
Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by Rolings: 6:05pm On Jul 07, 2019
ImpregnaTor:
does this man even Know the meaning of fair, or what the free trade is all about...

the only three words that bubu knows is: change, next level and Ruga; even the change and next level I'm not even sure he knows their meanings, if not I'm sure we won't be where we ar today.

i just pity the gullible nigerians that voted this cow master that cannot even lead his 50 gay cows to the stream to take us to the next level.

Change - when he decided to study afcfta very well and consult stakeholders before signing Nigeria up for it
Next Level - signing the afcfta and is going to make sure Nigeria leverage on it and being the biggest economy in Africa stands to gain most from arcfta

Gullibility is relative, to me you are the gullible one who believes that Cameroonian Server President is the one to improve your miserable life
You are entitled to your opinions

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Free Trade Must Be Fair Trade, Says Buhari by TriggahMan(m): 6:05pm On Jul 07, 2019
mujiboy:

What do we Africans Produce that you’d Like to buy?

Guy travel and see for yourself..

You dey here dey ask me.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Difference Between Law And Policy? / Wikileak's Revelation On Fuel Subsidy & Gej Corrupt Practices / Bomb Factory Found In Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.