Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,145 members, 7,815,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:44 AM

What Is Your Earliest Memory? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Your Earliest Memory? (13043 Views)

Nl Family Section Scandals And Oopsies. . . . . Memory Lane. / What Fond Memory Do You Have Of Your Dad? / Happy Mothers Day: Share The Funniest Memory Of Your Mum (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Nobody: 11:15am On Jul 08, 2019
The day my younger sister was born. I was 5 then. My mum had assured me that I was gonna have a younger brother as the result of her scan had revealed that she was carrying a male child. Immediately I heard she gave birth to a girl, I started crying uncontrollably. She jokingly asked me if she should throw her daughter away and I said no.

I also remember one day when I was still in primary school (Not sure how old I was or what class I was in at the time or if it happened before or after the birth of my younger sister). I pooped on my body. I remember the cleaners washed my uniform and I was the only kid in class wearing a singlet. I remember walking home in my singlet with my uniform in hand(My mum told me this happened almost everyday and my teachers told her to pray seriously for me.I think this was the last time it happened).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 11:56am On Jul 08, 2019
Hipsofagoddess:

That research is wrong. I clearly have some memories from my preschool days and my first day in nursery school. I was 2 years during preschool, 3 in nursery.
It is not wrong. The research indicated 'most people', not 'all people'.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 11:58am On Jul 08, 2019
raptex:
The day my younger sister was born. I was 5 then. My mum had assured me that I was gonna have a younger brother as the result of her scan had revealed that she was carrying a male child. Immediately I heard she gave birth to a girl, I started crying uncontrollably. She jokingly asked me if she should throw her daughter away and I said no.

I also remember one day when I was still in primary school (Not sure how old I was or what class I was in at the time or if it happened before or after the birth of my younger sister). I pooped on my body. I remember the cleaners washed my uniform and I was the only kid in class wearing a singlet. I remember walking home in my singlet with my uniform in hand(My mum told ms this happened almost everyday and my teachers told her to pray seriously for me.I think this was the last time it happened).
LMAO cheesy
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by phajeemy: 11:59am On Jul 08, 2019
Well, I don't know how old I was, but I could remember a scene I caused. My aunt touched me with a cassava stem(stick). It barely touched my body, then, I don't know, got a weird feeling and started crying, went to my mum to report that I was beaten by my aunt.
Next I knew, my mother and my aunt's mother, who happens to be my grandmother got into a heated exchange, it was a big fight as a result of my crying which I believed my mum overreacted to, I don't know what later transpired or the contents of their outbursts.
But I remember walking in on my mother later that night and hell, momma was crying. I felt very guilty, though I don't understand d feeling then but as I grow, I came to realise it as guilt.
And in fairness to my mum, I was an only child then cos my mother had stillbirths before me and after I was born, so, I understand her overreaction. Woman had her fair share of going through the agony of losing children, not once, but 4 times.
I did not understand any of it then but it happens to be my earliest memory as I grew
That event shaped my understanding and made me realise the environment around me and when I try to looked deeper, I realise everything was blank before that event.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 12:02pm On Jul 08, 2019
nnamdiosu:

Yea ishi. Mine is even earlier....like 1.5 or 2. Can't recall exactly but I'll show you why.
In my house, we siblings gave ourselves about 2.2 years gap. But we normally just say 3 years in between.

Now, I recall events that happened clearly before my younger sister was given birth too. I recall my very first day at school, days before I even started school and so on.
Everyone I told normally laughed at said it was a lie. Even my mom. As she was laughing when I told her, I told her the particular incident that occurred before she gave birth to my sister and on the day she gave birth to my sister. You need to see the way her smiles vanished slowly from her face. smiley smiley

What I didn't even tell her was some events that occurred even earlier than that.,so she won't freak out smiley smiley

When I was done, she just said, this boy u try o. Lol.

I guess this gift manifested becos I was a brooding/reflective introvert when growing up. I reflect or reason out things. This sharpened my thinking/memory muscles to be able to stretch back behind the veil that covers children's memory at childhood.
This your memory muscles carry six packs o. I was feeling fly that I can remember stuff from when I was 2.5 years, now I know I'm a learner.

The strange thing is there is a memory gap between age 2.5 and age 5. A complete blank.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 12:04pm On Jul 08, 2019
phajeemy:
Well, I don't know how old I was, but I could remember a scene I caused. My aunt touched me with a cassava stem(stick). It barely touched my body, then, I don't know, got a weird feeling and started crying, went to my mum to report that I was beaten by my aunt.
Next I knew, my mother and my aunt's mother, who happens to be my grandmother got into a heated exchange, it was a big fight as a result of my crying which I believed my mum overreacted to, I don't know what later transpired or the contents of their outbursts.
But I remember walking in on my mother later that night and hell, momma was crying. I felt very guilty, though I don't understand d feeling then but as I grow, I came to realise it as guilt.
And in fairness to my mum, I was an only child then cos my mother had stillbirths before me and after I was born, so, I understand her overreaction. Woman had her fair share of going through the agony of losing children, not once, but 4 times.
Do you have other siblings now?
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 12:06pm On Jul 08, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
I remember...

Not sure of the sequence but here it goes.

I was born here. Govt Girls College Dala
Kano
https://maps.app./bnP5aLcqAPpPACU58

Mumu was a teacher (english/french) we always lived in a school quarters.

I remember following mum to work and playing in the girls hostel, I remember picking up sugar cubes on the floor in the girls hostel and placing them in my mouth, I remember the girls hostel, they were always fond of me cheesy, I remember when Aunty gracee came to visit with her daughter, she tied bags of water an put in the freezer and went to sell at the gate of the sch (that woman is a legend) I remember strangling a chick (for no reason) when we had a poultry in one of the rooms, I remember the honda 2500 generator that Uncle Joe would carry alone in between his legs from the garage to the end of the walkway (we hardly used it) I remember when mum was a student and I was not in sch, she would attend her lecture In BUK guess it was a defence or something, I would play outside near the 505 picking up sticks and flowers while she was in class (I guess I was a noisy chilld), I remember plucking and chewing red tomatoes straight from the garden, I remember we had a Russian neighbours, and robbers visited, shot the mum and her son, mum died, but son lived, remember dad took all of us to the BQ and held our mouths tight.

I remember being asked, what is the baby doing (my younger bro) I said baby is looking cheesy

I remember telling my nanny I was going out, picked up keys to the 505, opened the door, but was never able to turn the ignition angry (dad alway locked the steering and pulled the parking brakes really high)

I guess the earliest would be picking up the sugar cube on the floor, dusting it on my shirt and chewing grin

Thanks ishilove

Wait! I remember catching a turtle! Threw it like a rock, came back next minute and couldn't find it! Sneaky bast.ard!
You carry motor mata for head from belle.

I can see you have a sweet tooth cheesy
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Theflint1(m): 12:10pm On Jul 08, 2019
Hehehe
ThothHermes:
Yepa...

This can give someone lifelong PTSD cheesy
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by phajeemy: 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:

Do you have other siblings now?

Yeah, got four siblings who are growing wonderfully well. 3 brothers and a sister
I always imagined, that's 9 child-labours for the woman.

U know, I'm from some local place where they celebrate having a lot of kids, not a lot like u-know-who, that's if u understand what I mean.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by barag(f): 12:11pm On Jul 08, 2019
@ Ishilove I remember describing the house we lived in when I was just two to my mum. I can remember standing at the balcony and looking out through the railings at the road. That picture just never leaves my minds eye. Mum was surprised at my description and confirmed we did live in a house like that.

We left that house before I was two and half. My dad believes somebody must have described the house to me for me to give such a vivid detail of that part of the house but nobody did.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by bigfrancis21: 12:15pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:
Except for very few exceptional folks like my pal Oweniwe, we don't bring memories from our past lives into the present one (although they sometimes surface from time to time. That partly explains 'deja vú')

Babies also don't retain memories, and research has indicated that most people's earliest memories only go back to about age 3-1/2. Sigmund Freud coined the term “childhood amnesia” to describe this loss of memory from the infant years. (I borrowed this from Google grin). We have a few rare exceptions like I mentioned earlier. These rare few remember back to the very first moment they opened their eyes after being expelled from the comforting warmth of their mother's womb.

I agree with the aforementioned research submission on the beginning of most people's memories because mine goes thus-

I am sitting down, holding my older sister's hand. I am wearing a white sleeveless blouse and an itty bitty, slightly faded flower blue skirt(in retrospect it must have belonged to my older sister and that explains why the colour was fading).The skirt is really short and I have to sit down with my legs tightly closed (thank God pedophilia wasn't as rampant as it is now).

I and my sister are sitting down on a low bench, in a courtyard facing a brown painted bungalow with a verandah. Flowerless green plants are in front of the bungalow. There is an old man wearing a white, knee length babariga and white trousers sitting in the verandah. Before him is a bowl of eba and ogbono soup which he is eating with such relish. I stare, fascinated at the man's Adam apple as it bobs up each time a ball of eba goes down.

My sister leans over and whispers in my ear "Ishi, don't look at him o. There is ant in his soup. He is eating eba, ant and soup."

I am horrified. I gasp in disgust and avert my eyes.

Decades later, my sister has no memory of this event but after I described the house and the courtyard to my mum, she recognised it as the very first house we lived in when we first moved to Lagos (I was 8 months old at the time). She remembered the old man. He was our neighbour. She also recalled threatening to beat the bejesus out of my sister if she ever let me out of her sight, which is why big sis was my shadow. It also explains why she was holding my hand tightly in that memory of long ago when I was 2 and a half years old, watching my neighbor swallow huge balls of eba and supposedly ant tainted ogbono soup.

And THIS, folks, is my earliest memory! cheesy Everything that happened to me prior to this is a total blank.

What's yours?

My earliest predates this lifetime actually, reasons why I was born, planning for this life etc. Somehow the memories never left me (partial veil of forgetfulness) and have guided me up until this point. I pretty much know how my current life would pan out till the end and my life up until now has panned out exactly the way I was shown.

My earliest in this particular lifetime would be during my 1 year old birthday. I remember standing in front of my cake and seeing so many people in front of me which scared me so much that I started crying and ran away from the cake stand as fast as my legs could carry me. This was happening outside (in Port Harcourt) in front of the flat where we lived then and it was around evening getting dark. I ran behind the building then my father walked up to me where I was, smiling he opened up his arms and beckoned on me to come unto him, which I did. It was very calming and he carried me back to my stand.

3 Likes

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 12:37pm On Jul 08, 2019
bigfrancis21:

My earliest predates this lifetime actually, reasons why I was born, planning for this life etc. Somehow the memories never left me (partial veil of forgetfulness) and have guided me up until this point. I pretty much know how my current life would pan out till the end and my life up until now has panned out exactly the way I was shown.

My earliest in this particular lifetime would be during my 1 year old birthday. I remember standing in front of my cake and seeing so many people in front of me which scared me so much that I started crying and ran away from the cake stand as fast as my legs could carry me. This was happening outside (in Port Harcourt) in front of the flat where we lived then and it was around evening getting dark. I ran behind the building then my father walked up to me where I was, smiling he opened up his arms and beckoned on me to come unto him, which I did. It was very calming and he carried me back to my stand.

Can I PM you?
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by thecultivateur(m): 12:39pm On Jul 08, 2019
I remember when I was like 3 or 4yrs old, there was this nursery & primary school that I was registered in, owned by foreigners. A day came in which we were taken to a music & dance theater in the school, we the boys were taught how to dance along with our fellow female pupils (sometimes even with our female teachers!) while the pianist was playing the piano for us. It's actually part of the school's system of education. Boy! I felt so shy each time I was ask to dance wit a girl. You know na, childhood innocence. Lol!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 12:44pm On Jul 08, 2019
barag:
@ Ishilove I remember describing the house we lived in when I was just two to my mum. I can remember standing at the balcony and looking out through the railings at the road. That picture just never leaves my minds eye. Mum was surprised at my description and confirmed we did live in a house like that.

We left that house before I was two and half. My dad believes somebody must have described the house to me for me to give such a vivid detail of that part of the house but nobody did.
Same way the image i described in my OP has never left my head. That is the only memory I have of my early childhood. The next one is of me in KG 1, and I am telling my class teacher that my name is Benson. Even my first ever school report card has Benson on it. When my mum saw 'Benson' she ran to my school to go and rectify the error grin
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2019
obowunmi:
My father raping my mother in front of me.
I hope this isn't true.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Probz(m): 1:27pm On Jul 08, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Our Francis was a baby boy.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:

It is not wrong. The research indicated 'most people', not 'all people'.

Oh my bad, didn't see the most.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ryan03(f): 1:57pm On Jul 08, 2019
I kind of had a lonely childhood, i remember going to nursery school, was given food which they kept in my bag. I forgot to eat, Nobody checked my bag when i got home, the following day the food was spoilt and Smelling badly. I was blamed for it

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by catwalq(f): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ryan03:
I kind of had a lonely childhood, i remember going to nursery school, was given food which they kept in my bag. I forgot to eat, Nobody checked my bag when i got home, the following day the food was spoilt and Smelling badly. I was blamed for it

Awwwn... Come lemme hug you
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ryan03(f): 2:53pm On Jul 08, 2019
catwalq:

Awwwn... Come lemme hug you
Lol, thanks. I Dont know if being lonely was a good or bad thing but i learnt to stay alone till date. I Dont feel bothered if i'm in a crowded room and Nobody talks to me, it feels normal
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by catwalq(f): 2:56pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ryan03:
Lol, thanks. I Dont know if being lonely was a good or bad thing but i learnt to stay alone till date. I Dont feel bothered if i'm in a crowded room and Nobody talks to me, it feels normal

Being alone is normal to me too. Its just other people who complain, on top my own lonely fa...

2 Likes

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by barag(f): 3:16pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:

Same way the image i described in my OP has never left my head. That is the only memory I have of my early childhood. The next one is of me in KG 1, and I am telling my class teacher that my name is Benson. Even my first ever school report card has Benson on it. When my mum saw 'Benson' she ran to my school to go and rectify the error grin
Lol @ Benson how come your class teacher didn't ask why a girl was being called Benson?
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by nnamdiosu(m): 4:31pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:

This your memory muscles carry six packs o. I was feeling fly that I can remember stuff from when I was 2.5 years, now I know I'm a learner.

The strange thing is there is a memory gap between age 2.5 and age 5. A complete blank.

lol@ 6 packs

well, i dont think that memory gap happens to everyone o. like me, no way.
also, another thing ive noticed, or a theory that ive developed is this,
children born in this era (camera, videos etc) might be able to remember things even more than us.

because they would have trigger memories to remind them of past memories when they see a picture or video. e.g, if i could see a picture of an event that happened when i was born, i could remember some things that i had forgotten or if i see a favorite toy or furniture, it could 'trigger' a pleasant memory in the past. But we didn't have all this in the past so.......
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 4:47pm On Jul 08, 2019
barag:

Lol @ Benson how come your class teacher didn't ask why a girl was being called Benson?
Heh. I meant surname. I liked the name 'Blessing', so I told my teacher that my name is Ishi Blessing, but my speech was not clear so it must have sounded like 'Benson' to her. Thus, the first term had my report card showing 'Ishi Benson' grin grin grin
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by barag(f): 4:56pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:

Heh. I meant surname. I liked the name 'Blessing', so I told my teacher that my name is Ishi Blessing, but my speech was not clear so it must have sounded like 'Benson' to her. Thus, the first term had my report card showing 'Ishi Benson' grin grin grin

Oh I see now.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Pricelessangel0(f): 8:08pm On Jul 08, 2019
I Can't remember much but there was this particular incident, it was a saturday morning, we didnt go to school and my dad travelled, my mom took us to the shop. my sister was just recovering from sickness then, we were playing and my mom kept warning us about rough play, we didnt listen. My sister suddenly pushed and i pushed her back, not knowing there was a nail head potruding from the table, she started crying and i tried helping her out but i couldnt, my guilty face must haue attracted my mom, she came outside and shouted, tried removing, no way, my 6ta cry attracted attention of neary people, they came and tried, no way, someone later rushed to the nearest hospital to call the matron, she later removed it, took my 6ta to the hospital and treated her. but till now the scar is still there, anytime she bare her back, the memories will surface. i was around 5 then. and no my mom did not beat me because people warned her not to.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by bigfrancis21: 9:10pm On Jul 08, 2019
Ishilove:

Can I PM you?

Sure you can.
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by bigfrancis21: 9:12pm On Jul 08, 2019
Probz:

Our Francis was a baby boy.

grin grin Sir Obi was once a boy. cheesy

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by ayotukanmi(f): 9:35pm On Jul 08, 2019
My easiest memory must have been when my step sisters came to visit us during the holidays. They didn't live with us, they lived with my grand parents and he visited them every weekend. We lived in a two bedroom apartment which had no toilet, Very suprising to me now but that was the norm then.
Their and then there was this not so light bush which was in the mountains which served as toilet and a dumping ground for the whole street community. So Mum instructed them to go pour away our refuse there but asked me not to follow them so we wouldn't be distracted but as a smart girl I was then, I sneaked and followed them.
Lo and behold we got into the our toilet and dumping ground and saw a pig who had a very new piglets, One of my sisters then said, Pigs who have just given birth always eat people oh grin. That's how this pig made noise like it would come after us, since we didn't want to be eaten we ran for our dear lives, need to say. I ran with all my Dear strength but my sisters were ahead of me lipsrsealed, as were about to out of the mountain sister Ayo, who's my immediate elder Sister fell and rolled down the mountain angry. So much injuries on her body. We went home with me tailing behind with so much fear cos of my disobedience. Dad was very Livid, oh his previous daughter of course we received no pampering I especially cos i was asked not to go. As I was about explaining the whole story. Dad thundered in his voice, "Get inside and don't be silly"....
For some reason I didn't forget that phrase which always triggered this whole memory..

I also remember my first day at school, Was in Nursery 1. This memory would be earlier than the previous
As I was going to the ladies, that was what we called it then. The sound of my cover shoe cheesy followed me everywhere kokokoka grin
My mum was asked not to wear the shoe for me the next day though.

There are a few more memories like Dads' swearing in Ceremony as a counsellor. The 'akanko' we wore that day lol.
Every Christmas spent at the village and the serious search for Water we did yearly there...

Memories... wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Ishilove: 9:37pm On Jul 08, 2019
bigfrancis21:

Sure you can.
Mail sent
Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jul 08, 2019
kayo80:

Don't mind them. Even scientists say we can recall memories from around 3.5 years old, and anything farther than that would be a puzzle. But these guys are mentioning 2 years old...one girl here even said she has memories from when she was some months old. Are they aliens? It is either they are lying for attention, or they have been told the story of that incidence so many times that they think they actually have a memory of it. You know the brain can't tell the difference between what is real and what is imagined.
i go with that, their parents actually told them the story, because me, i no remember when i was 5 gan talk less of 2.

1 Like

Re: What Is Your Earliest Memory? by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:34pm On Jul 08, 2019
dancok:
i go with that, their parents actually told them the story, because me, i no remember when i was 5 gan talk less of 2.

Danny Baba.... Ur case is different cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How I spent My Xmas. / How Can One Stop A Loved One's Drug Addiction? / Do Babies Need Drugs Before They Start Teething? Mothers Pls Help!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.