Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,654 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:24 PM

AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr (2957 Views)

Aka Udofia Offers $20,000 Per Goal Scored By Eagles Against Cameroon / Governor Udom Visits Super Eagles, Promises $10,000 Per Goal Against Cameroon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by IykeBazz(m): 7:48am On Jul 08, 2019
As Nigerians keep asking why coach, Gernot Rohr, is hesitant to start Samuel Chukwueze in matches, especially in Saturday’s match when the Eagles were trailing Cameroon 1-2, the German handler came up with a defence after his wards subdued Cameroon at the Alexandria Stadium in Egypt.

Responding to questions at the post match conference on why he did not introduce the Villarreal player in place of Moses Simon when the Eagles were trailing 1-2, Rohr said it was for tactical reasons.

He argued that Moses Simon, who plies his football trade with Levante of Spain, was a better defensive player who could keep the foraging Cameroonians like Oyongo in check from doing any damage.

According to Rohr, “when you have some offensive players like the left-back from Cameroon (Oyongo), who comes forward all the time, and you have a strong like Chukwueze who is not good defensively, then you need a player like Moses Simon who plays more defensively in his club”.

“That was why I started Moses Simon to stabilise the team and bring in Chukwueze at the right time, 60 minutes of the game,” Rohr said, however, adding that “I don’t believe it changed the result but it helped us to score the two goals and win”.

The Super Eagles are staying back in Alexandria to do a post mortem of their journey so far before proceeding to Cairo Monday where they will take on surprise qualifiers, Bafana Bafana of South Africa who shocked host Egypt by a solitary goal before their mammoth supporters who thronged the Cairo International Stadium to cheer them.

Source https://www.vanguardngr.com/2019/07/afcon-why-i-introduced-chukwueze-late-against-cameroon-rohr/amp/
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by holllandis: 8:41am On Jul 08, 2019
Stupid man should keep quiet and focus on south Africa the xenophobes

4 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by happybee: 8:56am On Jul 08, 2019
The coach should just play Simon in musa's position in the next match, simon is good no doubt.
But i think the coach is playing him out of position.
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by lilfreezy: 9:11am On Jul 08, 2019
Very stupid coach and a very stupid explanation. grin
Since chukwueze came in for Simon, did he see the Cameroonian left back overlap? Chukwueze pegged him back as the defender was only concerned about dealing with his trickery. Simon does not do the basic thing needed from a winger which is to take-on your man and cut in for a shot or an assist , instead oga wants to be doing aimless crossings and shooting with his weaker left foot.

As for the coach, he should be dynamic like Antonio Conte. If he knows he wants to utilize Simon's defensive abilities then he should shift to three at the back and play simon in the Victor moses position. with that, our right flank will be deadly with both chukwueze and Simon attacking the opposition wingback

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by lilfreezy: 9:27am On Jul 08, 2019
holllandis:
Stupid man should keep quiet and focus on south Africa the xenophobes

More like Xenophobia vs Tribalism in quarter finals. Battle of bastards. grin

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by forgiveness: 11:04am On Jul 08, 2019
lilfreezy:
Very stupid coach and a very stupid explanation. grin
Since chukwueze came in for Simon, did he see the Cameroonian left back overlap? Chukwueze pegged him back as the defender was only concerned about dealing with his trickery. Simon does not do the basic thing needed from a winger which is to take-on your man and cut in for a shot or an assist , instead oga wants to be doing aimless crossings and shooting with his weaker left foot.

As for the coach, he should be dynamic like Antonio Conte. If he knows he wants to utilize Simon's defensive abilities then he should shift to three at the back and play simon in the Victor moses position. with that, our right flank will be deadly with both chukwueze and Simon attacking the opposition wingback

That statement shows you watched the back of your TV.

1 Like

Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by chidi1: 12:12pm On Jul 08, 2019
I have watched with interest as people vigorously clamor for the inclusion of onyekuru and chukwueze to the starting line up of the Super eagles. In as much as I am not a coach, and don't claim to be one, I see some reasoning to Rohrs logic.

Onyekuru is a left wing player, primarily a number 11. Who is he going to replace? Musa? If you remove Musa from that attacking line up, Ighalo would be useless. From my observation, Musa is our most potent selfless attacking threat. Definately needed for a South African team that like to play open football, thereby leaving openings for Musa to run into. Yes, Rohr missed an opportunity to test Onyekuru at the dud third match against Madagascar. However, that opportunity is gone. Onyekuru would most reasonably be brought in as a replacement for Musa after the game has already been won with a good margin, not when we are still chasing the game.

Chukwueze has great attacking potential but is very poor defensively. This actually caused him some trouble with Amuneke during his under 17 days. Though I am not a coach, it makes sense to use players that can attack and defend well on the wings(Simon and Kalu) as starters. Please bear in mind that Awaziem is currently playing in an ad hoc position,hence he may need help defensively in that position. It also makes sense to bring Chukwueze into the foray in the second half when the opposing defenders are tired and more prone to mistakes.

In summary, Rohr has his deficiencies. However, we have to be pragmatic when criticizing him on his team selection. He is only working with what he has.

7 Likes

Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by holllandis: 12:46pm On Jul 08, 2019
Onyekuru needs to play this match
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by Arsenalholic(m): 1:00pm On Jul 08, 2019
I have said the same thing. I have always suspected this was why he likes Moses Simon -- the dude tracks back and is a workaholic.

This coach is more defensively minded than attack minded. And that's why there should be a clear-cut pattern when it comes to appointing coaches.

The Dutch play total football and when we have hired their coaches they have made Nigeria really enjoyable to watch. In modern day football, we should be looking at appointing coaches from either Spain, Holland or Brazil -- because they are more likely to adopt the kind of pass-and-move wingplay that made Nigeria a threat and a darling team to watch in the early 90s.

Spain for instance, can never have anything to do with a José Mourinho, because they know he won't play then kind of football they favor.

Out Football body still need more work, even though Mr. Amaju is trying.
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by lilfreezy: 2:12pm On Jul 08, 2019
Arsenalholic:
I have said the same thing. I have always suspected this was why he likes Moses Simon -- the dude tracks back and is a workaholic.

This coach is more defensively minded than attack minded. And that's why there should be a clear-cut pattern when it comes to appointing coaches.

The Dutch play total football and when we have hired their coaches they have made Nigeria really enjoyable to watch. In modern day football, we should be looking at appointing coaches from either Spain, Holland or Brazil -- because they are more likely to adopt the kind of pass-and-move wingplay that made Nigeria a threat and a darling team to watch in the early 90s.

Spain for instance, can never have anything to do with a José Mourinho, because they know he won't play then kind of football they favor.

Out Football body still need more work, even though Mr. Amaju is trying.

I see you are also trying to justify why Simon is starting ahead. I asked a Chelsea fan who was also in support of the idea that if sarri was benching their star man hazard in favor of Pedro who tracks back to help in defense, will he also maintain the same energy. Of course he said no.

When a wingback sees an overzealous attacker like hazard, he will limit pushing forward to attack, we see these things in the EPL.
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by Arsenalholic(m): 2:48pm On Jul 08, 2019
lilfreezy:

I see you are also trying to justify why Simon is starting ahead. I asked a Chelsea fan who was also in support of the idea that if sarri was benching their star man hazard in favor of Pedro who tracks back to help in defense, will he also maintain the same energy. Of course he said no.

When a wingback sees an overzealous attacker like hazard, he will limit pushing forward to attack, we see these things in the EPL.
The remaining paragraphs should tell you that I am not in support of this move. Plus I have been clamoring for the inclusion of Chukwueze from the off.
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by holllandis: 8:01pm On Jul 08, 2019
lilfreezy:

More like Xenophobia vs Tribalism in quarter finals. Battle of bastards. grin

Who is tribalistic?
Balogun the only tribalist is a shot 1
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by chucs: 8:37pm On Jul 08, 2019
I dont even blame this man atall. I can only blame the greedy and corrupt souls in the glass house whom out of their selfishness, appointed this pensioner to manage the super eagles. Of all the coaches in this world why appoint Rohr? We have been lucky all these while but soon enough,we will run outa luck.
Re: AFCON: Why I Introduced Chukwueze Late Against Cameroon – Rohr by Ekpekus(m): 8:59pm On Jul 08, 2019
Coach use your brain for the QF.. I nor wan see pipo for that starting eleven.. angry

(1) (Reply)

Super Eagles Starting XI Against Iceland “will Surprise You” (PHOTOS) / Surprise:adebayor 2007 Bbc Footballer Of The Year / Predict 5 Correct Scores For Free To Win #5,000,000 Simply Predict The Outcomes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.