Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,338 members, 7,860,841 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 05:11 PM

Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access (22952 Views)

Works Minister, Umahi Makes Night-Time visit To Third Mainland Bridge, Lagos / Nigeria Overtakes Congo, Worst In Global Electricity Access / What Nigerian Night Time Satellite Images Tell Us About Development (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by hottathanfire(m): 7:30am On Jul 10, 2019
They didn't even consider communities where generators had formed a committee to supply light to the society....

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by emerged01(m): 7:32am On Jul 10, 2019
Robnectar:
nah only lag dem dey use generator abi grin
We no dey talk about I-pass-my-neigbhour.
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by obailala(m): 7:32am On Jul 10, 2019
Foolishmasses:
As much as I appreciate the technological prowess used in carrying out this light/darkness research, I believe it's not even up to 70% accurate because generators /inverters etc made up to 50% of what they came up with at night.
How exactly is the research not accurate? The results given are real time live data, how could that be wrong?

Access to electricity, not access to public electricity!

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Raxxye(m): 7:33am On Jul 10, 2019
Interesting
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by deepwater(f): 7:35am On Jul 10, 2019
Rapidpolystyren:
how many gas flaring points do you have per company

How far?
U don take delivery from Ottawa Express?
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Nobody: 7:37am On Jul 10, 2019
Africa is still a DARK continent.

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by 989900: 7:40am On Jul 10, 2019
obailala:
How exactly is the research not accurate? The results given are real time live data, how could that be wrong?

Access to electricity, not access to public electricity!

Please leave them dolts alone! tongue

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Jabioro: 7:41am On Jul 10, 2019
In Nigeria they can never get 40% accurate..how can you use night for such.....in the night my I better pass neighbor must be at work illuminate my surroundings..what figure are going to give to that
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 10, 2019
deepwater:
The light seen from southern Nigeria is nothing but gas flaring

Fly into the Niger Delta Area from 8pm downwards you will see how that region is literally on fire

Please elaborate, i want to learn
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by dannywest: 7:45am On Jul 10, 2019
You wont get readings from people using prepaid grin
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by deavicky(m): 7:46am On Jul 10, 2019
Na so!!!!!! Where dey get light take reach boarders like that.
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Robnectar(m): 7:47am On Jul 10, 2019
emerged01:
We no dey talk about I-pass-my-neigbhour.
industrial generator abi... grin
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Nobody: 7:47am On Jul 10, 2019
MobilityExpress:
Nigeria na generator lights dey show, not national power supply. Chai, who do Africa this curse, who we offend, see as everywhere black like charcoal. African governments leaders are so incompetent. The only thing they are very good at is how to steal money and be forming big gods to disease ridden slay mamas with borehole between their legs angry

See America at night below, see difference my God, yet this African people go dey form religion. Winch people grin
When we happily elect an 80 something year old semiliterate grand-pa as our leader how do we expect to progress beyond ruga?
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by deavicky(m): 7:49am On Jul 10, 2019
hottathanfire:
Yẹ̀yẹ researchers with stupid job... Any research that will not contribute to the electricity generation is not welcomed here.
You wan see the darkest part of Africa come dey do mapping, instead of you to go to okokomaiko
I'm thinking is 82 percent.
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Nobody: 7:52am On Jul 10, 2019
3rdavefarms:
Africa is black

Black people live in Africa, so Africa like it Black
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by emerged01(m): 7:53am On Jul 10, 2019
Robnectar:
industrial generator abi... grin
Yes o! That can carry a whole local governmentgrin
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by obailala(m): 7:54am On Jul 10, 2019
989900:

Please leave them dolts alone! tongue
The matter tire me. Several people on this thread keep saying generator generator, and you begin to wonder whether people dont know the meaning of 'access'.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Robnectar(m): 7:55am On Jul 10, 2019
emerged01:

Yes o! That can carry a whole local governmentgrin
and all dis production factory grin
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by obailala(m): 7:57am On Jul 10, 2019
Jabioro:
In Nigeria they can never get 40% accurate..how can you use night for such.....in the night my I better pass neighbor must be at work illuminate my surroundings..what figure are going to give to that
In that case, your 'I beta pass neighbour' already gives you access to electricity.

Maybe people on this thread need to check their dictionaries to understand the meaning of the word 'access'

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 10, 2019
Jabioro:

The result may not be absolute - but its still relatively relevant given that Nigeria is not d only country in Africa with heavy generator use.
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Earthkumy(m): 8:01am On Jul 10, 2019
MobilityExpress:
Nigeria na generator lights dey show, not national power supply. Chai, who do Africa this curse, who we offend, see as everywhere black like charcoal. African governments leaders are so incompetent. The only thing they are very good at is how to steal money and be forming big gods to disease ridden slay mamas with borehole between their legs angry

See America at night below, see difference my God, yet this African people go dey form religion. Winch people grin

America is most religious Nation in the world, is in their constitution "in God we trust"

Stop fooling yourself, Nigeria just started religion which year self

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Academicwizman(m): 8:02am On Jul 10, 2019
Foolishmasses:
As much as I appreciate the technological prowess used in carrying out this light/darkness research, I believe it's not even up to 70% accurate because generators /inverters etc made up to 50% of what they came up with at night. A closer look at the night vision map portray the developing nations especially Southern and Nothern Africa with the Central countries begging for life.

All in all, this context cannot change in the next 50 years when the world is fast moving and one country still electing a man who prefer cows to human development.

No one curse Africa, we are our greatest undoing.

The research may be plausible. They said electricity. They didn't say either hydro, solar, wind or generator-generated electricity.

4 Likes

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Academicwizman(m): 8:04am On Jul 10, 2019
hottathanfire:
They didn't even consider communities where generators had formed a committee to supply light to the society....

They are not talking about the source of the electricity (whether hydro, generator or otherwise). What generator generates is also electricity.

3 Likes

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Abudu2000(m): 8:04am On Jul 10, 2019
And yes the stupid oyibo will still be running to our fake pastors like tb joshua for deliverance again knowing fully well the pastors can't even help their country let alone the world
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Jeezuzpick(m): 8:07am On Jul 10, 2019
Do these bozos know how much of Naija's night lights are powered by GENERATORS?

Keep researching, geniuses!
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by splendour7(m): 8:10am On Jul 10, 2019
this research is false! go to cameroon there is 24hrs electric supply,un-interrupt...even at night you can travel the whole place without turning your motor headlight...
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by vixpal: 8:12am On Jul 10, 2019
The research is accurate, it is access to electricity not access to public electricity

2 Likes

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by vixpal: 8:14am On Jul 10, 2019
Those that believe that the world is flat... You can now see that it is spherical
Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by crafteck(m): 8:14am On Jul 10, 2019
Hisss, wey everyone get I better pass my neighbour

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by MobilityExpress: 8:15am On Jul 10, 2019
Earthkumy:

America is most religious Nation in the world, is in their constitution "in God we trust"

Stop fooling yourself, Nigeria just started religion which year self

Paganism is a religion. Our ancestors have been worshipping idols and doing voodoo and juju even before the Americans found the bible or the Arabs found the Quran. Stop deceiving yourself like we didn't have religion before the bible and Quran came to us. We have always been the religious type

1 Like

Re: Researchers Use Night-time Satellite Images To Map African Electricity Access by Nobody: 8:17am On Jul 10, 2019
deepwater:
The light seen from southern Nigeria is nothing but gas flaring

Fly into the Niger Delta Area from 8pm downwards you will see how that region is literally on fire

The one in Saudi Arabia is light while the one in Southern Nigeria is Gas flare.

GOON!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Sold His Personal Property To Send His Chilren To School / Ben Bruce Replies Charly Boy, Insists ‘Atiku Is An Option’ / Father Emmanuel Obimma, Ebube Muonso Endorses Peter Obi For President (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.