Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,074 members, 7,814,724 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:19 PM

Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ (2442 Views)

Nigeria Will Be Africa's First Global Superpower - Report / The Next Gold Rush May Happen In Ebonyi State, Nigeria- Igbodefender.com / Nigeria To Take Bertie Ahern As Their New Economic Adviser (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by Pharoh: 7:22pm On Oct 22, 2010
Some things ar easier said than done.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by Sagamite(m): 7:28pm On Oct 22, 2010
SA Lady:

For what its worth, i really hope 9jer's development occurs a lot quicker than anticipated, for SA to get a good challenge locally. That way whatever political party that will be running the SA governmet will be exposed and learn to be more competitive than maintain the status quo.

We all know that when one is at the top, alone, it doesnt really show their agility and the real stuff they are made off' until somebody comes to smack them down.

For me this would be a great thing indeed' SA needs to move forward and past this never ending racial war, and maybe begin a healthy and sensible war on economic development with other African nations.

I am obviously not being naive to the fact that real competition and the yardstick is outside the continent. I just think its about time this continent starts talking growth on its own terms.

Call me a dreamer but I am tired of being part of a continent that just cant help itself for ish!

Thank you.

Absolutely ffing brilliant post. This is my vision as well.

But some moronic Nigerians are jealous and would be hoping SA backslides with their village amala thinking, so as to continue claiming Giant of Africa from a moronic development level.

There is enough space for 2 to even 4 African superpowers. I want to be able to shuttle across Africa and see black nations doing well for themselves, not lacking behind because of moronic leaders and inferiority complex that only whites can do it.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by Ibime(m): 7:58pm On Oct 22, 2010
Foreigners always tell us we are next to blow. . its been happening for the last 50 years. . these foreigners know nothing about the internal dynamics or corruption in Nigeria. We should be chasing MDG's which we have failed to keep up with, instead of chasing GDP growth which only profits the top end political rent seekers who quickly repatriate all our money abroad.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by UyiIredia(m): 8:00pm On Oct 22, 2010
@ topic >>> not impressed >>> till i witness the emancipation of the common man in Nigeria
>>> then this 'gold rush' will be commonsensical

>>> Uyi
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by Sagamite(m): 8:37pm On Oct 22, 2010
Ibime:

Foreigners always tell us we are next to blow. . its been happening for the last 50 years. . these foreigners know nothing about the internal dynamics or corruption in Nigeria. We should be chasing MDG's which we have failed to keep up with, instead of chasing GDP growth which only profits the top end political rent seekers who quickly repatriate all our money abroad.

Absolutely on point.

But the Amos Adamus and the Cecilia Ibrus want to chop till they bust and leave the masses in poverty, personal under-development, brain nutrient deficient and ignorance. Which leads to us having some fools that will come on NL with their messed up brain that we should not jail the likes and Ibori, it is witch hunting.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by tpia5: 8:54pm On Oct 22, 2010
**still wondering why this topic made the news**
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by SALady(f): 2:10am On Oct 23, 2010
Ibime:

^^^Without patronizing I guess its because we cant wait for you guys to get your house in order. And trust me, most foreigners are aware of how your administration is pulling you down. We may not know of all your internal intricacies, but hey we also have a shaky government here with very little if any pool of future leadership. Now that's a scary place to be.

To be honest SA cant do it on its own, the multinationals will milk it for its economic boom for as long as it lasts. This may be far fetched, but I dont think we are well enchored economically to last generations. We cant always count on china's partnership since it only makes sense for them to continue this partnership for as long as it benefits them.

To be honest we are still alone and we dont have much of a safety net in the hands of china.

Just my two shilling, we all need a Messiah. grin grin grin

m out guys, later then.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by Avenir(m): 4:58am On Oct 23, 2010
LouisThoru:

Nigerians who live abroad doesnt want any good thing to happen in Nigeria, they criticise and argue blindly on every issue that bothers on development. Why? If IMF says Nigeria's economy is the fastest growing in Africa, they are the first to say it is a lie, but when any bad thing happen abroad, they are the first to wish it happen in Nigeria. Why cant they just leave Nigeria and Nigerians alone to bear the sufferings by themselves?

Morons [/i]should not have a right to talk on NairaLand.
Sagamite:

Thank you.

Absolutely ffing brilliant post. This is my vision as well.

But some [i]moronic Nigerians
are jealous and would be hoping SA backslides with their village amala thinking, so as to continue claiming Giant of Africa from a moronic development level.

There is enough space for 2 to even 4 African superpowers. I want to be able to shuttle across Africa and see black nations doing well for themselves, not lacking behind because of moronic leaders and inferiority complex that only whites can do it.

I don't think you guys need to call people names just because they don't agree with your point of view. That is akin to playing God and Mr know-all. The great western economies that we always compare to Nigeria are built on robust debates and tolerance for contrary opinions. Those nations do not peddle superiority complex. While not discounting the crucial role of leadership, the change we seek ought to start with ourselves by tolerating contrary opinion, convincing others to adopt our point of view and not bullying them.

That said, It is my opinion that Nigeria will not necessarily become Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ without a deliberate change in social, political and business culture. I think we will remain exactly as we are, a country with potential, for another 50 years if we don’t make the required changes.

A people make a nation. Leadership is a reflection of the people. Individually I think we need to stop celebrating those who acquire wealth in a questionable manner even if they are our relatives. In business, we need to put more thought about keeping our words and refrain from promising what we cannot deliver. We need to stop putting square pegs in round holes just because we come from the same village. We need to speak out against mediocrity and celebrate genuine achievements  irrespective of the tribe of the office holder. And finally we need to stop giving Nigeria bad publicity through ungracious and unbalanced web comments because it is the people and not the leadership that suffers the consequence. We should think about it, China, India and Brazil are very similar to Nigeria in Social demographics. How come we don’t hear the citizens castigating their countries despite the obvious short comings? Not saying we should not castigate Nigeria. Nigeria obviously needs a lot of castigation. We should give more thought to it and do it in a constructive manner.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by jaygetta(m): 9:14am On Oct 23, 2010
Although my heart bleeds for it's growth and stability, I doubt that this generation (and, if we're not careful, the next) wont be in this same, if not worse,predicament than the present one. Nigeria is so inherently corrupt its unbelievable. Its the number one bane to any type of economic development anywhere in the world. From the top to the bottom, everyone is unrepentantly corrupt. The people are so perversed, its unbelievable. Bribes have been accepted as a normal part of life. I've seen at least two instances where it took recent immigrants a little while after getting here from Nigeria to get used to the fact that bribes were not a way of life here and that they had to live their lives according to the Laws and orders of the land. Until Nigeria gets rid of its corrupt mentality, then, Sorry, Nigeria is stuck in the same place for a little bit more. Besides, if South Africa is the country Nigeria is aiming to be as economically powerful as in the next 30 years, then I dare say, there's no hope for that country.
Re: Goldman’s Mboweni - Nigeria To Be Africa’s New Economic ‘gold Rush’ by houvest: 9:41am On Oct 23, 2010
This should have happened like 35 years ago. I pray it does not make another news in 35 years time on NL.

tpia@:

**still wondering why this topic made the news**

(1) (2) (Reply)

Ume Ezeoke Sept 8 1935- August 2 2011 / Governor Orji, Son, On War Path- Like Father Like Wayward Son Chinedu / Hurray!!! Radio Biafra Will Resume Broadcast Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.