Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,910 members, 7,952,671 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 08:44 PM

Hepatitis B - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Hepatitis B (6214 Views)

Hepatitis B Awareness / Hepatitis-B Kills Faster Than AIDS / My Nanny Has Hepatitis B (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hepatitis B by 1k001(m): 11:44am On May 11, 2007
I recently just found out that Hepatitis B is endemic in Nigeria. Something like 15% of the population are living with the virus. You hear a lot about HIV (rightly so) but never hear anything about Hep B which is much more infectious than it. It is quite deadly but can be prevented via a vaccine, however it has no 'cure'. One would think that it would be given a lot more publicity considering the fact that a vaccine for it is available.
Re: Hepatitis B by Seun(m): 12:02pm On May 11, 2007
What are the effects of Hepatitis B on the 15% of Nigerians that have reportedly been infected by it?
Re: Hepatitis B by Okejazz(m): 4:42pm On May 11, 2007
To my understanding the hepatitis B virus isn't anything like HIV simply because:

a. For one, the body's immune system can hold off the Hep B virus longer than HIV i.e. one can be a carrier in the event one is infected with Hep B much longer than with infection with HIV.  

b. While Hep B affects the liver (and its related functions), the HIV attacks the body's own immune system (specific and eventually non-specific) leaving one open to all types of pathogens. You could die of AIDS (from HIV) due to infection from both foreign pathogens and normal flora (microorganisms on our body) while with hep B you can die probably from cirrhosis, cancer or hepatic encephalopathy.

c. In the worst case with hep B, surgery can be done (where 60% of a donor liver is transplanted, (problem, compatibility, so be ready to be on a list ). Most people seek family members and the liver regenerates completely in 8-10wks (donor and receiver). But in HIV , there is still NO CURE.  

At least, there is a vaccine for Hep B.

1 Like

Re: Hepatitis B by arikky(f): 5:58pm On May 11, 2007
i disagree with okeyjazz cos
1 there are may types of hepatitis A, B, C, F, G
But of the lot hepatitis B is the most common deadliest and best silent killer.
Hepatitis is a viral disease and it can also be ALCOHOL induced.
Hepatitis B like HIV can also be transmitted sexually esp among HOMOSEXUALS<gay>
also it can be transmitted thru blood transfusion needles n all dat
y do u think dat some countries insist on hepatitis vaccination
the only consolation is that it has a cure but that is if it has not done is damage
for more visit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hepatitis
Re: Hepatitis B by marco74(m): 6:35pm On May 11, 2007
hep b is never alcohol induced.its got through blood/other body fluids.no doubt alcohol its toxic to the liver itself and so expectedly the liver is more likely to be damaged in people with hep b and comorbid alcoholism.hep c is another one that's blood borne.my advice is try and get vaccinated cos its a simple way of preventing potentially serious diseases.
Re: Hepatitis B by Okejazz(m): 9:33pm On May 11, 2007
Shine shine bobo !!!
A virus that drinks (invigorated by) Star too? smiley

The pathophysiology of the hepatitis B virus (HBV) is totally different from chronic liver problems (alcoholic liver disease, more likely) attributed to years of alcohol abuse.

On the greater scheme of things, i’m more interested in this study and the sampling and demographics of this population size.
Re: Hepatitis B by arikky(f): 3:57pm On May 12, 2007
its suprising that a lot of pple still think that there is no relation ship btw hepatitis and alchohol.
wat pple dont know is that hepatitis is bothn viral and non viral and it can be either chronic or acute.
its jus that 80% of hepatitis is infections is by viral infections.
Re: Hepatitis B by arikky(f): 4:00pm On May 12, 2007
it is called hepatitis cos it mostly affects the liver \
hepatic means liver
so hepatitis means a condition or injury 2 the liver.
so does alcohol not injure ur liver
Re: Hepatitis B by marco74(m): 5:57pm On May 12, 2007
arikky,as u can c from the post it states "hepatitis b".its only one cause;a double stranded dna virus!!!!!!!true u can have alcoholic hepatitis and other infectoius agents causing hepatitis.so don't confuse issues?!!
Re: Hepatitis B by Nobody: 5:59pm On May 12, 2007
arikky:

its suprising that a lot of people still think that there is no relation ship between hepatitis and alchohol.
what people don't know is that hepatitis is bothn viral and non viral and it can be either chronic or acute.
its jus that 80% of hepatitis is infections is by viral infections.

Alchohol only weakens the liver and makes it more susceptible to opportunistic infections like Hepatitis B. Alchohol does not cause the disease.
Re: Hepatitis B by 1k001(m): 6:21pm On May 12, 2007
Hepatis is latin for liver

Inflamation is usually denoted wit an -itis suffix. e.g gastritis; inflammation of the gastric mucosa, tenosynovitis; inflammation of the synovial sheath around a tendon , pancreatitis; inflammation of the pancreas.

Therefore it follows that hepatitis is inflammation of the liver.

This liver inflammation can be brought about by various things including viruses (ranging from A to G)

The particular virus in question is the hepatitis B virus. One can either be chronically infected or acutely infected.

The acute infection is short term i.e lasts less than six months. Has four stages:
- incubation period, as the name implies
- pre-icteric period, characterized by experience of fatigue, sickness, loss of apetite and nausea
- icteric phase, Jaundice (either a mild or severe form due to impaired liver function of converting bilirubin to bile)
- recovery, as the name implies

Chronic is long term, no cure is available. Can lead to fibrosis of liver tissue and then cirrhosis (note that alcohol can cause this as well). Can also lead to hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).
Some people with this form may not have any symptoms while others may have severe complications and die. Dependent upon their viral count

Why should there be more publicity for it? well because there's a vaccine available for it but no cure. People at high risk should be educated about it and vaccinated and vertical transmission prevented. Many people walk around Hep B +ve unaware of the risk they pose to themselves and others. Only when more people know their status will its spread be curbed. It costs more to manage and treat than it is to prevent, and i mean not just financially but emotionally as well.

Hep B facts

about 100 times more infective than HIV and 10 times more infective than Hep c

Virus can survive outside bod on dry surface for up to a week

9 out of 10 adults clear only experience an acute infection and manage to clear the virus.

In those unable to clear it, it progresses to chronic hepatitis.

Only 1 in 10 children clear the virus

9 out of 10 progress to chronic infection

Almost a million die each year from Hep B
Re: Hepatitis B by fashfisher(m): 12:38pm On May 15, 2007
i am on the vaccine presently should be taking the last dose on june 6 cos i found out of how dangerous it after a family friend died from it.
advice: go get yours
Re: Hepatitis B by spora(m): 5:11pm On May 15, 2007
Nice contributions. You guys are good. Well done!

What are the symptoms of Hepatitis generally?

Where can you have the vaccine? @ any hospt
Re: Hepatitis B by bebe2007(m): 12:10pm On Jun 06, 2007
Where in heaven's name will people in Naija get the vaccine? do you just go to any hospital and ask them for it? with the advent of fake drugs how possible is it not to get fake vaccine. If you have taken it in Naija before state where and how let others know. this place is a jungle i tell you. I can see it spreading everywhere, hygiene is the last thing on their minds here. People live and breath polluted air, drink dirty water, food you name it.

Was told the vaccine lasts for 3years is that true?
Re: Hepatitis B by modeM: 5:52pm On Jun 06, 2007
Lemme help out with the little research I have carried out on hep B.First up I tested positive to hep B surface antigen(HBsAg) and I was refused a job based on that.
1. Hep B is 100 times more infectious than HIV and it is transmitted through blood contacts or perinatal means i.e (birth related)

2.According to the Internet statistics 1 out of 3 people in the world will be exposed to the virus at one point in their life time.There are two stages of hep B,the acute and the chronic stage.90 percent of those who catch the virus as adults will only go through the acute stage and their bodies will become immuned to the virus,they do not transmit it n are not at the risk of liver cancer or cirrhosis.However 10 percent never develop immunity and become chronic carriers(i.e the virus becomes active over the years and gradually attacks the virus,3 percent out of this 10 percent end up with liver cancer or cirrhosis)

3. For people who got the virus as kids,they stand a 90 percent chance of becoming chronic carriers and ending up with liver cancer or cirrhosis later on in life.

4 In order to know ones status for Hepatitis B,the first routine test which is usually carried out is the HBsAG test( surface antigen test),a positive result indicates that their is an ongoing infection but it is not enough to say that the person has become a chronic carrier.Further tests needs to be carried out which includes the core antigen test and the E-antigen test.These are the only test that can tell the true situation of the hepatitis virus.But unfortunately,in Nigeria the core antigen and E-antigen testing facilities are not readily available.The core antigen and E-antigen tests are important because of the inconclusiveness of the surface antigen because it is very possible that a chronic carrier could reverse to a negative stage of surface antigen,so in order to be very sure one needs a surface antigen test and core antigen test done.

5 Vaccines have been developed to protect those that ave not caught the virus yet,the vaccines are taken 3 times over a period of 6months,and it is readily available in LUTH and some other health centres costs about 1800 naira per jab.Another interesting thing to note is when you're vaccinated your body becomes positive to the surface antigen test for a while then reverts to a negative state.(A piece of advice if you're going into a company that discriminates,u might want to wait till your medicals is over before u take the jab so dey wont stupidly assume you're an hep carrier)

6. For those who end up being chronic carriers all hope aint lost,Inter-feron has shown promising results and recently it is being combined with lamuvidine(i hope my spelling is right).It doesnt cure hepatitis but it delays the progress,and the results are getting more encopuraging over the years.Other drugs are currently being developed.

7 My piece of advice,to avoid the unneccessary trauma,discrimination among employers and all that crap we face ere in Nigeria spare a few thousands while you're still negative and protect yourself and your loved ones.Really Hepatitis B is becoming a scourge in sub-saharan Africa and it is amazing how such can be swept under the carpet and not given huge media attention like HIV.

8 Please note,I am not a medical expert,everything I have posted here is from discussions with my medical friends and some research I carried out on my own.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hepatitis B by Elesh(m): 10:04pm On Jun 29, 2007
Hello,
Hepatitis B is an inflammation of the liver caused by HBV.It can be prevented by HBV vaccine. It can however lead to liver cancer on the long run in untreated cases.Drug treatment is available -Interferon, lamivudine
Check my blog for more- docportal..com
Re: Hepatitis B by Orosunnuku(m): 11:46pm On Jun 29, 2007
Good job Guys, we need more info on this.
I wasn't fully aware of its deadliness untill it killed someone close to me recently.
Re: Hepatitis B by benedo(m): 12:33pm On Oct 25, 2007
Guys,

Please for the complete cure and treatment of this ailment, go and find out about this drug Liv 52, its supposedto be a highly effective hepatic stimulant used in curing hepatitis , liver ailments

Benedo
Re: Hepatitis B by MissC1: 8:36pm On Jun 18, 2012
smileyOMG ur guyz hav done a good job. I av been longing to meet a post lyk dis. Am planning to get married soon bt my man is Hapetitis B nd I av been vaccinated. Infact am confused. Pls Am all ears to dis post,more xplanation pls
Re: Hepatitis B by chrispher1234: 1:10pm On May 02, 2015
(MUST READ: HOW I GOT CURED FROM HEPATITIS B)
I am from Imo state, I want to testify of how i got cured from hepatitis b, I got diagnosed of hepatitis b in 2013 I have visited several hospitals and herbalists but all to no avail, my world was gradually coming to an end until i saw a post in a health forum about a herbal spell caster from Ewu Edo state who casts herbal spells to cure all kind of deadly diseases including Hepatitis B, ALS, MND, Epilepsy, Leukemia, Asthma, Cancer, Ghonorhea etc, at first i doubted if it was real but decided to give it a try, when i contact this herbal spell caster via his email, he prepared a herbal spell portion and sent it to me via transport service, when i received this herbal spell portion, he gave me step by step instructions on how to use it, when i applied it as instructed, i was cured of this deadly disease within 3days, I am now fee from Hepatitis B. All thanks to Dr Aziza. Contact this great herbal spell caster via his email azizahealingtemple@gmail.com for cure to any kind of diseases. Goodluck
Re: Hepatitis B by trinityhealth: 8:56pm On Oct 12, 2016
A new drug has been developed and has been used effectively in the treatment of viral Hepatitis. It is known as Hepantivir. It is a herbal extract, it is safe and very effective. Trinity Health Care Limited, Idinmu, Lagos has used this medication effectively for the treatment of chronic hepatitis with very amazing outcome.
If you know, you have been diagnosed of hepatitis, you may wish to contact Trinity Health Care at idinmu, Lagos. Or call the care representative on +2349031652000, +2348028791004. You can also send an email to info@trinityhealthstores.com.

Please remember, hepatitis can be fatal. So get tested, if you are negative then get vaccinated but if you are infected already get treated early cos early detection is the key to curing it
Re: Hepatitis B by snosoar: 10:15pm On Nov 08, 2017
We can supply black seed and original honey, the concoction from both can cure just any other disease including all viral diseases of course, evidences abound about the invincibility of black seed, and we will be providing them subsequently.

We know the formulations, dosages, and therapies of black seed for viral diseases and liver restoration.

We can supply black seed at #4000/kg and original honey at #2000/litre.
Re: Hepatitis B by snosoar: 9:01pm On Nov 09, 2017
Here comes a review of black seed as promised in the journal article below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kdFw4fAiNzerv4sJZsY7jlCrAgJYjJMk/view?usp=drivesdk
Re: Hepatitis B by snosoar: 11:43am On Nov 10, 2017
In fact, black seed based therapies are effective on their own, and should as well be used with HIGHLY ACTIVE ANTIRETROVIRAL THERAPY (Orthodox medicine best response so far to viral diseases) to increase their effectiveness, and they do not counter-react with them, all these three claims were proved in the journal article below

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxu9_zwkjzk_R2dPak5wTXJQWEk/view?usp=drivesdk

Most importantly, this combo of black seed with HAART serves to ameliorate one of their (HAART) side effects, which is inflammation of the liver, a nauseating side effect especially in the case of hepatitis viruses considering the fact that their presence causes inflammation that can degenerate to cancer, and why should inflammation be pardoned to be the side effect of removing them.

The thesis below shows black seed's coming to make sense of the situation.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZmReANMYHmr_NnBSvF60EkOZqVt9CPe1/view?usp=drivesdk

For further consultations on the therapies of black seed for curing hepatitis viruses, HIV, and others:

Contact us on:
08133531930 (WhatsApp inclusive)
snoworlddocs@gmail.com
Re: Hepatitis B by Nobody: 1:51pm On Nov 10, 2017
just collected my result today from luth...thank God its negative. i wld go get my vacine soon
Re: Hepatitis B by snosoar: 7:30pm On Nov 15, 2017
Black Seed oil is not as effective as the whole seed

Case Report:
An email from Europe by a HIV+ female (Case M) on Dec 27 indicates that Black Seed oil was used as a mono-therapy for 13 weeks (from Sep to Dec 20th). She wrote: "As you can see after 3 months of the oil of Nigella Sativa, the results were not as good as Arons. Next week we intend to do a ARN (viral load count) and lipid profile again. All the best." M (name, email and actual lab results were withheld per her request).

She indicated she used from 30 ml to 50 ml daily (about 2 or 3h tablespoons of the black seed oil). From a cost analysis alone, the oil was more expensive ($200 to $300 per month) than the black seed powder capsules Aron used that cost less than $30 a month. More over the results were not as good. For example, the CD4 count declined about 20% during this period and there was a small increase in her viral load*. However the oil had some benefits - the HDL cholesterol increased, total lipids decreased, CD8 decreased and triglycerides decreased. *New information added from a second email received around Jan 12th, 2015

This is a single case report and we should not draw general conclusions from one report. Based on results indicated in this email, it could be that the non-oily part (the black pigments) of the black seed (black cumin) is where most of the therapeutic value exists. In the original Nigeria test case, it was the whole black seed powder, not the oil that led to a cure of HIV in a 6-month period.

Source:
www.keephopealive.org

For further consultations on getting black seed, original honey, and their herbal remedies,

Contact us on:
08133531930 (WhatsApp inclusive)
snoworlddocs@gmail.com
Re: Hepatitis B by Orubebe01: 11:29pm On Apr 04, 2018
fashfisher:
i am on the vaccine presently should be taking the last dose on june 6 cos i found out of how dangerous it after a family friend died from it.
how much does the vaccine cost
Re: Hepatitis B by snosoar: 11:35pm On Apr 23, 2018
SNOSeeds

SNOSeeds is a one-stop Nigerian resort for evidence-based natural / alternative medicine. We both counsel on and sell health products, especially with the backbone of black seed (Nigella sativa).

Look us up on Facebook and like our page for natural health gems.

https://www.facebook.com/SNOSeeds
Re: Hepatitis B by Nobody: 2:06pm On Jul 17, 2018
fashfisher:

Hello bro. I need to talk with you on this.
Re: Hepatitis B by trinityhealth: 6:31pm On Sep 29, 2018
Trinity Healthcare Foundation is a Non-profit Organisation in Lagos, Nigeria and member of the World Hepatitis Alliance. As part of our commitment to end Hepatitis B and C in Nigeria, we offer Hepatitis B and C screening and vaccination at very subsidized rates for Corporate organizations, Associations, groups and communities. Do you wish to screen and vaccinated all members of your organisation against the deadly Hepatitis viruses then call us on +2348028791004 or visit us at #10 Afolabi Leshi Street, Illupeju, Lagos, Nigeria. You can send us an email at info@trinityhealthcarefoundation.org. Our Screening services goes for NGN1,000 per participant while Hepatitis B Vaccination goes for NGN2,000 per dose. Free Lectures/Symposium are also available. Hepatitis is deadly...Act Now

(1) (Reply)

MUST SEE; 5 Ways To Prevent Pregnancy Without Using Condom / COVID-19 Update For July 12 2021 In Nigeria / "SEX" Top 10 Tips For Stronger ERECTIONS That Last Longer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.