Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,207 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:00 AM

FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation (30533 Views)

Nancy Pelosi, Charles Schumer Kneel To Honor George Floyd / "Racist" Throwback Video: Obama, Clintons, Schumer, Democrats "Hate Immigrants" / U.S. Senator, War Hero And "Maverick", John Mccain Dies At 81 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by TechPlace24(m): 2:20pm On Jul 19, 2019
FaceApp, the chart-topping Russian-made which allows users to see how they will look as they age, found itself in the eye of a political storm in the U.S. on Wednesday, with one senator urging an FBI investigation into its “national security and privacy risks”.

In a report by AFP has it that a celebrity favourite, the app deploys artificial intelligence to modify users’ photos, adding wrinkles or subtracting years from their faces.

But, on Wednesday, U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer sounded the alarm over FaceApp’s Russian developer, calling for the FBI and the consumer protection agency FTC to “look into the national security and privacy risks” connected to the application.

“FaceApp’s location in Russia raises questions regarding how and when the company provides access to the data of U.S. citizens to third parties, including potentially foreign governments,” the New York senator said in a letter to the FBI.

“It would be deeply troubling if the sensitive personal information of US citizens was provided to a hostile foreign power actively engaged in cyber hostilities against the United States,” he added.

Currently the most downloaded free app on Google Play with more than 100 million users, FaceApp was launched two years ago and went viral after its latest editing tool, an aging filter, sparked a flood of celebrity selfies.

The developers are based in the Skolkovo high-tech hub near Moscow, often called Russia’s Silicon Valley, and its roots have stirred concern also within the US Democratic Party.

The party’s National Committee has warned campaigners in the primaries ahead of the 2020 presidential election to “delete the app immediately,” the Washington Post said.

The party is particularly sensitive to any possibility of surveillance involving Moscow after some Democratic officials were targeted by Russian hackers during the 2016 presidential election campaign.

Fears of cyber-espionage have flared in recent years, with US authorities worried about foreign governments having access to and potentially misusing personal data belonging to millions of Americans.

In May a Chinese mobile gaming company that bought top gay dating app Grindr said it would sell it by June 2020 following pressure from US authorities.

U.S. officials reportedly feared that people with American security clearances who use Grindr could be blackmailed if China’s government demanded user data from Beijing-based Kunlun Tech.

With millions of users in the US, FaceApp’s Russian backers have not responded to Schumer’s letter.

But its CEO told the Washington Post that Russian authorities did not have any access to any user data.

Yaroslav Goncharov also told the newspaper that most photos are deleted from its servers within 48 hours and said the app did not use the pictures for any other purpose.

FaceApp is no stranger to controversy. Soon after its launch, a ‘hot’ filter that automatically lightened faces sparked accusations of racism.

The same year, FaceApp’s developers were forced to remove a feature that allowed users to change their ethnicity, prompting some to liken the practice to ‘digital blackface’.

But the controversies have done little to dim the app’s allure among selfie-lovers and celebrities including music superstar Drake, rapper Cardi B and NBA champion Steph Curry.

Read More At; http://www.techplace24.com/2019/07/19/united-states-senator-calls-for-investigation-into-faceapp/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by TechPlace24(m): 2:20pm On Jul 19, 2019

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by healthserve(m): 2:21pm On Jul 19, 2019
Very good move

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Flyingngel(m): 4:03pm On Jul 19, 2019
Anything relating to Russia shld be look at a hundred times.

70 Likes 5 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Charleys: 4:05pm On Jul 19, 2019
Ha
Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by salbis(m): 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2019
Nigerians no get time to read or understand the privacy policy for all these apps na to click/check dey go. We too dey do follow follow for this country.

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by 2019elections: 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2019
Please read, a true life story.

A man had three beautiful girlfriends but didn't know which one to marry. As a test, he gave them N2,000,000 each to see how they will spend it.

The first girlfriend went to get a complete makeover. She came back and said. Here I am "I spent the money so I could look good to you cos I love you so much".

The second went shopping. Bought iPhone X-max, iPad, and other luxuries for the boyfriend. She came back and said " I bought you all these gifts cos I love you".

The third collected the money and invested . Afterwards, the money doubled and he returned to the boyfriend. He gave him back his money and said " I invested the money. Here is the capital, the interest has been invested for our future. I did all cos I love you ".

The boyfriend thought for so long how they've spent their money. At last, he decided to marry the one with the biggest breast.

138 Likes 9 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Nobody: 4:09pm On Jul 19, 2019
healthserve:
Very good move

1 Like 1 Share

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by opalu: 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2019
Ok
Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by bamasite(m): 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2019
y

1 Like

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by KmniAutos(m): 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2019
USA are not serious... Cos they are not the owner ...who track us pass google or facebook

Anyways check signature below

83 Likes 3 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by ugochukwufrenzy: 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2019
overrated app.

4 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Nobody: 4:10pm On Jul 19, 2019
Vibrant lawmakers who see reasons where most people dont, it would shock you our docile ones earn more than them..

11 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by OWNwithEASE: 4:11pm On Jul 19, 2019
___
Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by crackhouse(m): 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2019
Hmm.
Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Nerro042: 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2019
So if it was a US owned app it would be OK right.... This is hypocrisy

49 Likes 2 Shares

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by shogsman(m): 4:12pm On Jul 19, 2019
Took them a while this time around.
Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Nigga44: 4:13pm On Jul 19, 2019
Because it's not American app they want to use their almighty media and fear mongering to kill it. undecided

ffuck America angry

I'm getting this app.

43 Likes 1 Share

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Fuckyoumod: 4:13pm On Jul 19, 2019
I don't understand why anything from Russia can never be pure.

Spying.
Hacking.
Violation of peoples privacy.
One security Risk or the other.

The worst of it all is AK47 Assault Riffle.

Nothing Good ever comes from Russia.

Spits........

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by dfrost: 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
cheesy grin

Big brother don vex.

3 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Famocious(m): 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
I don delete the app from my phone self undecided

4 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Kentuforchrist(m): 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
planB54344:
kwantinu

3 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by mknigeriagreat: 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
Thank God for senators like this not the ones here that will just be pushing bills that doesn't benefit anyone. The way people were just dumping their pictures on that app I was scared for their future what they can use those pictures to do. And they also have access to your phone media.

Abeg buy this clean white leather seat peugeot 407 this weekend for a giveaway price ASAP. Click my signature and check my profile.

IT is very easy to maintain and fuel efficient.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
I rather keep my old age looks a mystery to me.
Now the Russians have your identities for a minute fun

6 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by jayextra(m): 4:14pm On Jul 19, 2019
While nigerians are here doing Old age challenge grin

5 Likes

Re: FaceApp: U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer Calls For Investigation by tyup(m): 4:15pm On Jul 19, 2019
I still wonder why US has not nuked Russia yet

the so called inventors of meaningless stuffs Mavrodi comes to mind sad

4 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Robot Co-Hosts Census Ceremony Alongside South African President (Photos) / Hunter Biden Helped Finance A US Military Bioweapons Research Program In Ukraine / Hillary Clinton To Change Her Twitter Bio After Chimamanda Adichie's Criticism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.