Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,218 members, 7,829,360 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 05:01 AM

In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? (1888 Views)

Casual Workers Responsible For Fraud In Banks – NDIC, CIBN / 8 Categories Of Occupation People Do That Brings Forth Insult From The Society / Are Second Class Lower Graduates Still Relevant In Our Society? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? by tolutara: 3:11pm On Oct 14, 2010
People what is your take on this?

I believe that is not the government's responsibility to create jobs for its citizen but to create an environment ( this includes good roads, consistent power/electricity, tax benefits etc)which fosters job creation through its small, medium sized and large corporations.

The average Nigerian complains that the reason why they haven't found a job is because the government has no jobs .

please weigh in on this,
Re: In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? by AjanleKoko: 4:23pm On Oct 14, 2010
In most countries, even the highly capitalist ones like the US, government is always the highest employer of labour.
By the time you look at what the government needs to be doing, good roads, consistent power/electricity, tax benefits etc like you mentioned, you find that these government initiatives require people to do all those things. The scale of those projects are national, so you probably will find that government will create jobs directly and indirectly, ultimately. So, in a nutshell, it is their responsibility to create jobs.
Re: In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? by netotse(m): 4:29pm On Oct 14, 2010
tolutara:

People what is your take on this?

I believe that is not the government's responsibility to create jobs for its citizen but to create an environment ( this includes good roads, consistent power/electricity, tax benefits etc)which fosters job creation through its small, medium sized and large corporations.

The average Nigerian complains that the reason why they haven't found a job is because the government has no jobs .

please weigh in on this,

your statement implies you know precious little about nigeria. . .

a nigerian will tell you there are no jobs not government has no jobs. . .working in government is seen as a last resort, that's why the civil service and indeed other government bodies are populated with thirdrate brains. . .it isn't as simple as you're making it out to be.

P.S. i only recently got into the labour market so i know exactly what i'm saying.
Re: In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? by jaybee3(m): 4:33pm On Oct 14, 2010
AjanleKoko:

In most countries, even the highly capitalist ones like the US, government is always the highest employer of labour.
By the time you look at what the government needs to be doing, good roads, consistent power/electricity, tax benefits etc like you mentioned, you find that these government initiatives require people to do all those things. The scale of those projects are national, so you probably will find that government will create jobs directly and indirectly, ultimately. So, in a nutshell, it is their responsibility to create jobs.
Couldn't have put it together better cool

PS: Do you mentor people? This has something to do with smart/skilled thread of yours. If you don't then you should embrace that idea with open arms as it's a good way to give back.
Re: In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? by tolutara: 4:41pm On Oct 14, 2010
AjanleKoko:

The bolded above isn't true. Small business together makes up the largest Employer not the government. I agree with you per the government having indirectly impacts job creation. That was why i initially stated that the government need create an avenue for businesses to foster which will directly create jobs as well as invite foreign business to the country ( Which the Nigerian Government has failed woefully). But Government-created jobs make a very small percentage of the job market.
Re: In A Democratic Society, Government Is Not Responsible For Job Creation? by AjanleKoko: 8:24pm On Jun 18, 2011
jay bee:

Couldn't have put it together better cool

PS: Do you mentor people? This has something to do with smart/skilled thread of yours. If you don't then you should embrace that idea with open arms as it's a good way to give back.

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this.
Yeah I do, formally and informally. I'm part of a mentoring group sponsored by Christopher Kolade, called Mind The Gap. We work with youth corpers, try to provide guidance regarding career and life after school in general.

(1) (Reply)

Pwc Test Invitation. / Association Of Human Resources Practitioners Of Nigeria (ahrpnig) / 6 Signs That You've Made It To Middle Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.