Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,849 members, 7,817,515 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike (15184 Views)

Jonathan Gives Conditions To Join APC - Daily Independent / Ekweremadu: IPOB Gives Conditions To Forgive Igbo Politicians / Kaduna Government Gives Conditions For El-Zakzaky To Travel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Pamatips: 6:49am On Jul 24, 2019
KINDLY SHARE THIS STORY
National power grid.

’Femi Asu

The Ministry of Power, Works and Housing has said an increase in electricity tariff can only be justified by widespread provision of meters and improved service delivery to customers.

The ministry said this in a new document called ‘Power Sector Policy Directives and Timelines,’ which was obtained by our correspondent on Tuesday.

It directed the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission to clearly convey the need for tariff review consistent with provisions of Section 76 of the Electric Power Sector Reform Act 2005, and abide by the requirement for periodic major and minor reviews and processing of valid claims for deficits in tariff as provided for in the rules for tariff regulation.

The document, which was dated June 2019, said, “Government policy recognises that the current consumer tariff must rise to cover all costs of gas, transmission and distribution. This is necessary for distribution companies to raise capital, and for the industry to be self-sustaining without government financial support.

“But this can only be justified after meters are more widely installed and services improve so that consumers pay for what they consume and not for the inefficiencies of operators. In the meantime, NERC (Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission) should enforce regulatory processes already in place for operators to make claims for verified deficits in their tariff.”

According to the ministry, there is substantial circumstantial evidence that higher electricity tariffs may result in reduced collection by distribution companies because of low meter penetration and poor service.

It, therefore, directed NERC to set and enforce targets for Discos and meter asset providers to roll out meters.

Another immediate task for the commission is to encourage and facilitate willing-buyer willing-seller transactions with Competition Transition Charge compensation, where applicable, to the distribution company for a defined period.

The commission was asked to withdraw existing orders against willing-buyer willing-seller transactions like the recent Cummins and Viathan (PIPP LVI Disco) orders but compel compliance with a clearly defined and easy-to-apply CTC Regulation.

The ministry directed NERC to issue an order, within four weeks, to explicitly permit all customers supplied at 132kV and 330kV to contract as an ‘eligible customer’ for their power, directly with a generation company, and for their transmission requirements directly with the Transmission Company of Nigeria.

It said the commission should “license mini-grid applicants expeditiously, according to the timelines stated in the regulation, especially where consumers and developers have agreed terms; and license eligible customer applicants expeditiously, starting within two weeks, with the four that applied in July 2018 and were still operating without permits.

NERC was asked to set and enforce targets for Discos to apply the Franchising Regulation to contract capable investors, agents and partners of the Discos to expand and operate, as franchisees, 33kV and 11kV feeders and areas “that consumer petitions confirm are underserved or for which collection losses do not meet set licence targets.”

source: https://punchng.com/power-ministry-gives-conditions-for-electricity-tariff-hike/

2 Likes

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by SojiCash(m): 6:57am On Jul 24, 2019
Increase in Tariffs and yet no Stable Electricity third week now no light � in my area If your price per month is more that what I pay for MTN lumos . Come and remove your meter and pole

FTC FIRST OF ITS KIND IN YEARS
Our Helper will locate us today

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by lummy5000(m): 6:58am On Jul 24, 2019
F
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by joegigs(m): 6:58am On Jul 24, 2019
Make I dey pay double for my candles
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by sureboykris(m): 6:58am On Jul 24, 2019
Depressing country....same stories over the years

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by gregyboy(m): 6:58am On Jul 24, 2019
C
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by yomalex(m): 6:59am On Jul 24, 2019
Okay
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Amuocha: 6:59am On Jul 24, 2019
No provide power min 18hours for 24months and then propose 1% increase in KWH

1 Like

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by lomprico(m): 6:59am On Jul 24, 2019
undecided
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by barackodam: 7:01am On Jul 24, 2019
this is surprising. whoever expected this?

I support them in this instance
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Nobody: 7:01am On Jul 24, 2019
Honestly, what's written up there is beyond my knowledge.

If it's "Mercy Aigbe slays in cleavage bearing dress" I can comprehend that undecided

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by helinues: 7:02am On Jul 24, 2019
Our noble Minister of Darkness Aka Mr rocket science has spoken

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Kendumazy(m): 7:03am On Jul 24, 2019
Nice conditions. Give prepaid to every houses. Then, increase your tarrif and everyone will be damn sure that he or she is paying according to his or her usage but increase the tarrif without allotting prepaid, the bills will get crazier.

Quality UK 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade men's shirts available for sale. Check my signature below for link to see more details.

3 Likes

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Kreamie(m): 7:03am On Jul 24, 2019
Not again
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by mkpologwu(m): 7:03am On Jul 24, 2019
Too much talk on solution, zero implementation!!

1 Like

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Walehelt(m): 7:03am On Jul 24, 2019
Shey na like this e go dey be?
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Ayoswit(f): 7:04am On Jul 24, 2019
undecided
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by englishmart(m): 7:04am On Jul 24, 2019
most non citizens of USA hate Trump. Most reasonable Nigerians dislike this adminstration

4 Likes

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by princemillla(m): 7:05am On Jul 24, 2019
electricity bill in Nigeria is a day light robbery.
In my area now, they won't even bother to read our meters befor they dash us 13k every month.

We've requested for prepaid meters but it fell on their deaf Herr.

4 Likes

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Hookupbase(m): 7:05am On Jul 24, 2019
Nonsense for here the Nonsense nepa do it one day ON one Day Off the One day OFF is 24hour the One day ON is 6,6hours On and Off.. After my Spiritual enemy nepa is the Next people I hate in my Life..
Back to business check my Signature for full details I have 2 Buildings for sell one in Olomore Abeokuta for 8M, Another in Water Resources Warri Delta State for 35M, WhatsApp or Call me on 09024822913 for serious buyer..
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by Tundeobama(m): 7:06am On Jul 24, 2019
You need a personal tutor British council certified for international English test exams IELTS, TOEFL and GRE General training or academic training.whatapps or Call 07₩031375607₩ 08120784316.
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by wizardus: 7:06am On Jul 24, 2019
Too much talk less implementation

Police confirm 8 dead in an underground water tank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dd5Etwldjz4
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by kullozone(m): 7:07am On Jul 24, 2019
Noel1:
Honestly, what's written up there is beyond my knowledge.

If it's "Mercy Aigbe slays in cleavage bearing dress" I can comprehend that undecided

Broda, what you're doing isnor good at all.

Mercy na olosho shasmiley
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by aolawale025: 7:07am On Jul 24, 2019
Tariff increase?? God help the people
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by lonelydora: 7:09am On Jul 24, 2019
Power sector is the most useless sector in Nigeria. With a the gas flaring in different oil locations still we can't find a way to harness them into energy for generation of power.

We don't see light and yet they want to hike tariffs.

These guys don't just want to see the citizens happy.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by maskid(m): 7:09am On Jul 24, 2019
SojiCash:
Increase in Tariffs and yet no Stable Electricity third week now no light � in my area If your price per month is more that what I pay for MTN lumos . Come and remove your meter and pole

FTC FIRST OF ITS KIND IN YEARS
Our Helper will locate us today

Whats all this rubbish are u guys this jobless? Must you comment with alphabet before typing. Smh

1 Like

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by ifyalways(f): 7:10am On Jul 24, 2019
helinues:
Our noble Minister of Darkness Aka Mr rocket science has spoken
Hahaha

Fash don hear am. Things are easier said than done. No more mouth making, rather hes full of excuses.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by anibi9674: 7:10am On Jul 24, 2019
Ik
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by SojiCash(m): 7:10am On Jul 24, 2019
maskid:

Whats all this rubbish are u guys this jobless? Must you comment with alphabet before typing. Smh

Which rubbish your papa dey do oloshi
Re: Power Ministry Gives Conditions For Electricity Tariff Hike by helinues: 7:11am On Jul 24, 2019
ifyalways:

Hahaha

Fash don hear am. Things are easier said than done. No more mouth making, rather hes full of excuses.

They don't have the will Ni jare.. Dem no dey visits abroad?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Senate Slams N10m Fine On Police For Killing UNIPORT Undergraduate / INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu Sued Over Asset Declaration / President Buhari Canvasses Suspension Of Blanket Visa Ban By UAE

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.