Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,419 members, 7,815,947 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:51 PM

What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer (11027 Views)

How My Nairaland Employer Ghosted Me (photos) / I Am Tired Of Being Ghosted By Recruiters: I Need A Job Badly / How I Lost A Potential Job Because Of My Denomination (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by H100: 6:44am On Jul 30, 2019
- Onegoodhead

Not seeing results? Feel like giving up?

Consider this - The last thing that grows on a tree is the fruit.

Post interview recruiter and HR ghosting is the RULE, not an exception. If you’ve followed up and haven’t heard anything after a week. the truth is ‘‘you didn’t get the job”.

Unfortunately, these stories reoccur often. Over 35% of job seekers say they were rejected from a gig by never actually getting any feedback at all, i have taken time to write and discuss a lot of these scenarios below

Steps to Take when Ghosted by a Potential Employer

1. Don’t take it personally! (I know it’s hard not to, but you have no idea what’s happening)

Whatever the issue – the negative thoughts only make the situation more solidified. If you work hard to have the right mindset, that this is the story you will tell when you overcome it – you will be able to put all that negative energy into good planning. Maybe they did just blow you off, but getting bitter about it won’t serve you! Move onto the next.

2. Make sure you have taken reasonable actions to follow up.
(If you haven’t gotten interviewed yet, use LinkedIn and any networking means to find out who the hiring manager is and contact that person via email, phone, or direct message. If you have, you know their contact info.)

3. Remember, if they didn’t select you, it’s “their” loss. (If you know thyself though)

4. Leave accurate, anonymous, critical feedback about your candidate Experience on their company page of Glassdoor.com and Indeed.com or anywhere available like Nairaland for Africans to enlighten hopefuls.

5. Be classy! Treat them the way you would want to be treated if you made a mistake. Be factual and don’t write angry. After enough negative feedback on their public review page, they may improve the candidate experience.

Read more: https://onegoodhead.com/recruiter-ghosting-potential-employer/

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by villagecraft: 7:18am On Jul 30, 2019
REALLY NICE WORK OP especially with the complete post via the link

But if you ghost me, I promise to cemetery you in my mind shaa.

4 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by naijadrivablog: 10:36am On Jul 30, 2019
Ghost me, I ancestor you.

4 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Oooops: 10:37am On Jul 30, 2019
Not in Nigeria. Nigeria employers are a joke.
I sent one a post interview email requesting for feedback as I haven’t gotten any info from them.
His reply? Get out of my mail box and never send me a message again.
Can you imagine?
I gently replied: Fvck you and your job too.
I rather stay self employed than work in that shithole where HR feels like god!

33 Likes 4 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by brushesz: 10:38am On Jul 30, 2019
Ok
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Sanromeo(m): 10:38am On Jul 30, 2019
When i don't get a response after making a move, I just conclude it's not my destiny to get get it and move on. That mindset has been working for me not to make me sad or bitter. I believe a better place of work has been destined for everyone. After one bump, Just continue to improve on your personal ability and keep your head straight.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Teewhy2: 10:40am On Jul 30, 2019
there is nothing to hold back against them as there are many other opportunities ahead, that place is not just one of it.
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 30, 2019
This happens a whole lot
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by ssogundele(m): 10:41am On Jul 30, 2019
If that happens, just dust yourself up and move on. Go fishing on others and before you know it you're on your way to the top!

3 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 30, 2019
I don't even give a fu*k reason be that I believe in my ability and my credentials speak for me,so if u ghost me another person will unghost me angry

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by ssogundele(m): 10:44am On Jul 30, 2019
Oooops:
I sent one a post interview email requesting for feedback as I haven’t gotten back from them.
You can imagine?
I rather stay self employed that work in that shithole where HR feels like god!

My brother I owned you 1 crate of Arctic region chilled bottles of Honourable beer! Let him go swallow his job!

4 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Nobody: 10:44am On Jul 30, 2019
naijadrivablog:
Ghost me, I Ancestor you.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Oooops: 10:48am On Jul 30, 2019
ssogundele:

My brother I owned you 1 crate of Arctic region chilled bottles of Honourable beer! Let him go swallow his job!
No lele... make I dey read the ingredient ahead!!!

4 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by akereconfi: 10:50am On Jul 30, 2019
90% of Nigerian employers feel like they are sitting on the throne next to God.

7 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Artistree: 10:53am On Jul 30, 2019
ssogundele:

I OWE you, owned.

2 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Jchi9876: 11:01am On Jul 30, 2019
What is "ghosted"?
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by snipesdam(m): 11:06am On Jul 30, 2019
Happened to me sometime in ABJ. After taking 9t trips through our dreadful roads. Made it to the last stage, spoke with MD and Director. 2 months later no feedback call the HR she told me it been put on hold.....

There nothing like working for yourself

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by gazmann(m): 11:46am On Jul 30, 2019
H100:
- Onegoodhead

Not seeing results? Feel like giving up?

Consider this - The last thing that grows on a tree is the fruit.

Post interview recruiter and HR ghosting is the RULE, not an exception. If you’ve followed up and haven’t heard anything after a week. the truth is ‘‘you didn’t get the job”.

Unfortunately, these stories reoccur often. Over 35% of job seekers say they were rejected from a gig by never actually getting any feedback at all, i have taken time to write and discuss a lot of these scenarios below

Steps to Take when Ghosted by a Potential Employer

1. Don’t take it personally! (I know it’s hard not to, but you have no idea what’s happening)

Whatever the issue – the negative thoughts only make the situation more solidified. If you work hard to have the right mindset, that this is the story you will tell when you overcome it – you will be able to put all that negative energy into good planning. Maybe they did just blow you off, but getting bitter about it won’t serve you! Move onto the next.

2. Make sure you have taken reasonable actions to follow up.
(If you haven’t gotten interviewed yet, use LinkedIn and any networking means to find out who the hiring manager is and contact that person via email, phone, or direct message. If you have, you know their contact info.)

3. Remember, if they didn’t select you, it’s “their” loss. (If you know thyself though)

4. Leave accurate, anonymous, critical feedback about your candidate Experience on their company page of Glassdoor.com and Indeed.com or anywhere available like Nairaland for Africans to enlighten hopefuls.

5. Be classy! Treat them the way you would want to be treated if you made a mistake. Be factual and don’t write angry. After enough negative feedback on their public review page, they may improve the candidate experience.

Read more: https://onegoodhead.com/recruiter-ghosting-potential-employer/

Lazy Nigerian youths one like for the magnificent topic
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by ejemamaka: 11:46am On Jul 30, 2019
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by olempe(m): 11:47am On Jul 30, 2019
snipesdam:
Happened to me sometime in ABJ. After taking 9t trips through our dreadful roads. Made it to the last stage, spoke with MD and Director. 2 months later no feedback call the HR she told me it been put on hold.....

There nothing like working for yourself
Awww cry cry

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by sterlingD(m): 12:02pm On Jul 30, 2019
Oooops:
I sent one a post interview email requesting for feedback as I haven’t gotten any info from them.
Can you imagine?
I rather stay self employed than work in that shithole where HR feels like god!
The Bold make LWKMD

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Psoul(m): 12:20pm On Jul 30, 2019
My God has bn so kind to me from day 1. I have never looked for a job even for one day. I left secondary school. I was recommended for a job. I got it. Worked and studied. Taking care of my educational needs was made a bit easier for me. Was even training two of my siblings in school the same time.
Got graduated, I never looked for any job. Have worked with 4 good firms all through recommendations. Though I had to pass all the rigors of interviews which I came out well. I never left any of the firms without bn well celebrated. Now I have my own team of employees.

May God help all job seekers.

7 Likes

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by joe4christ(m): 2:32pm On Jul 30, 2019
Psoul:
My God has bn so kind to me from day 1. I have never looked for a job even for one day. I left secondary school. I was recommended for a job. I got it. Worked and studied. Taking care of my educational needs was made a bit easier for me. Was even training two of my siblings in school the same time.
Got graduated, I never looked for any job. Have worked with 4 good firms all through recommendations. Though I had to pass all the rigors of interviews which I came out well. I never left any of the firms without bn well celebrated. Now I have my own team of employees.

May God help all job seekers.

I wish your blessing could rub on me. I have Bsc in Business Administration. I need a Job bro!

1 Like

Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by naturefellow(m): 3:38pm On Jul 30, 2019
villagecraft:
REALLY NICE WORK OP especially with the complete post via the link
seconded
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Psoul(m): 5:12pm On Jul 30, 2019
joe4christ:

I wish your blessing could rub on me. I have Bsc in Business Administration. I need a Job bro!

Where do u reside?
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by joe4christ(m): 5:28pm On Jul 30, 2019
Psoul:

Where do u reside?

I reside in Minna. Niger State... But I don't mind relocating if it requires such!
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by Psoul(m): 8:20am On Jul 31, 2019
joe4christ:

I reside in Minna. Niger State... But I don't mind relocating if it requires such!

Send a message to my inbox, let's see what we can do.
Re: What To Do When You Get Ghosted By A Potential Employer by joe4christ(m): 6:13pm On Jul 31, 2019
Psoul:

Send a message to my inbox, let's see what we can do.

Alright Boss. Doing that right away!

(1) (Reply)

Npower: Payment Is Not Tribalistic Nor Selective / Apply For The Montaigne Place Fresh Graduate Jobs Recruitment (7 Positions) / How To Apply For Graduate Trainee Recruitment At Ericsson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.