Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,154 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed (15836 Views)

6 Typical Reasons Why Your Transmission System May Not Last Long / 5 Signs That Indicates You Need Your Tyre Replaced / Types Of Smoke From Your Car Exhaust Pipe And What It Indicates (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by AutoJoshNG: 5:06am On Jul 31, 2019

There are a lot of people out there that give less attention to the transmission of their car. They fail to give their transmission the necessary care it needs until one major fault arises or when it finally packs up.

One of the routine maintenance of a car’s transmission that is most times overlooked by some people is knowing when to change the transmission oil. The transmission oil might be present in the car and even up to the prescribed level but may contain too much dirt or sludge that will cause the transmission misbehave.

We are about to list the signs your car is likely to give to indicate your transmission is dirty and requires to be flushed.

These are the 5 signs to tell you need to flush your transmission

1. Surging of the Vehicle:

When your vehicle’s transmission is polluted with a lot of dirt and contaminants, and needs a transmission flush, you may notice inexplicable surging of your vehicle. Because your car’s dirty transmission does not allow for adequate transmission fluid flow, your vehicle may tend to jump or surge forward and fall backwards for no good reason. This is caused by inconsistent flow of clean transmission fluid that is needed to ensure smooth operation of the gears and other moving parts inside the transmission bell housing.

2. Delay in Vehicle Movement:

Another sign that your vehicle may have contaminated transmission fluid is when the vehicle stalls for one or two seconds before moving after having been put in gear. If there are no other problems with the transmission, a transmission flush may help.

3. Grinding and strange noises from the transmission:

A transmission that is due for oil change may start making grinding or strange noises. This noise tends to be significant when the transmission is contaminated with dirt, grease and sludge. At this point, the transmission displays symptoms very similar to inadequate level of transmission fluid.

4. Sluggish response while shifting gears:

On a normal operating condition of the transmission, the transition from one gear to another is often smooth. When your transmission is not clean and contains much dirt or sludge, you’ll get sluggish response in the transmission.

This could mean your car will start changing gear more quickly or too late when you drive.

For manual transmission, you may find it hard to change gears at all.

5. Slipping gears:

The effect of dirty transmission can also result in slipping gears. Very low transmission fluid can also cause this. Contaminated fluids will cause lack of hydraulic power and could make gear slip.

When you start noticing any or all these signs in your car, it may mean that your transmission needs to be flushed. You will need to take your car to a professional to flush off the old fluid and replace with a new RECOMMENDED fluid.

Please, endeavour to use the Transmission fluid recommended by your car manufacturers. It will save you a whole lot of troubles.

Source: https://autojosh.com/5-signs-transmission-fluid-flush/

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by visijo(m): 6:52am On Jul 31, 2019
<b>When you are no longer in love with a guy , the sound of his snoring irritates you , but when you are still in love with him you will be tempted to record it and use as your ringtone�

11 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by shammahyaro(f): 6:52am On Jul 31, 2019
sadHu
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by femtex007(m): 6:53am On Jul 31, 2019
Well understood
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by jovialswag(m): 6:53am On Jul 31, 2019
The only transmission i know is that of Inspector General of Police tongue

22 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by anambraamaka: 6:54am On Jul 31, 2019
Thanks
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by LOVEGINO(m): 6:56am On Jul 31, 2019
2 got me. I need to flush oooo

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by G8Arthur(m): 6:57am On Jul 31, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

There are a lot of people out there that give less attention to the transmission of their car. They fail to give their transmission the necessary care it needs until one major fault arises or when it finally packs up.

One of the routine maintenance of a car’s transmission that is most times overlooked by some people is knowing when to change the transmission oil. The transmission oil might be present in the car and even up to the prescribed level but may contain too much dirt or sludge that will cause the transmission misbehave.

We are about to list the signs your car is likely to give to indicate your transmission is dirty and requires to be flushed.

When your vehicle’s transmission is polluted with a lot of dirt and contaminants, and needs a transmission flush, you may notice inexplicable surging of your vehicle. Because your car’s dirty transmission does not allow for adequate transmission fluid flow, your vehicle may tend to jump or surge forward and fall backwards for no good reason. This is caused by inconsistent flow of clean transmission fluid that is needed to ensure smooth operation of the gears and other moving parts inside the transmission bell housing.

Another sign that your vehicle may have contaminated transmission fluid is when the vehicle stalls for one or two seconds before moving after having been put in gear. If there are no other problems with the transmission, a transmission flush may help.

A transmission that is due for oil change may start making grinding or strange noises. This noise tends to be significant when the transmission is contaminated with dirt, grease and sludge. At this point, the transmission displays symptoms very similar to inadequate level of transmission fluid.

On a normal operating condition of the transmission, the transition from one gear to another is often smooth. When your transmission is not clean and contains much dirt or sludge, you’ll get sluggish response in the transmission.

This could mean your car will start changing gear more quickly or too late when you drive.

5. Slipping gears:

The effect of dirty transmission can also result in slipping gears. Very low transmission fluid can also cause this. Contaminated fluids will cause lack of hydraulic power and could make gear slip.

When you start noticing any or all these signs in your car, it may mean that your transmission needs to be flushed. You will need to take your car to a professional to flush off the old fluid and replace with a new RECOMMENDED fluid.

Please, endeavour to use the Transmission fluid recommended by your car manufacturers. It will save you a whole lot of troubles.

Autojosh this sounds like manual geared cars to me . Those this apply to automatic gear system a well?

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by hisgrace090: 6:57am On Jul 31, 2019
Informative!

If you give car timely maintenance it lasting becomes special.
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by chinavs9ja(m): 6:59am On Jul 31, 2019
Okay sir

I am a website designer...check my signature
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by AutoJoshNG: 7:05am On Jul 31, 2019
G8Arthur:

Autojosh this sounds like manual geared cars to me . Those this apply to automatic gear system a well?

Yes it does. An automatic transmission will give out all these signs.
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by kolafolabi(m): 7:05am On Jul 31, 2019
Good job autojoshng! How often should gear oil be changed?

5 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by RDPMAN: 7:14am On Jul 31, 2019
Okay
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by Dottore: 7:17am On Jul 31, 2019
Ok
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by Namzy(m): 7:18am On Jul 31, 2019
And if you are not so lucky, and your worn transmission fluid contains debris that is maintaining the required friction, flushing said transmission will lead to transmission failure

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by patikh123(m): 7:20am On Jul 31, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

5. Slipping gears:

thanks Bro.
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by tellwisdom: 7:20am On Jul 31, 2019
And when fluid doesn’t flow through into the transmission gear, the green drive light on the dashboard begins to blink while driving.

That automatically means your solenoid is packed with dirts.

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by SoNature(m): 7:23am On Jul 31, 2019
OP, 5 signs that indicates is wrong English.

Please correct it to 5 Signs that Indicate

There's something called CONCORD in English.

I was told many people didn't do it in school though.

Thank you

4 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by Nanagom: 7:28am On Jul 31, 2019
What about when the D light keeps flashing
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by skukimania(f): 7:38am On Jul 31, 2019
jovialswag:
The only transmission i know is that of Inspector General of Police tongue

Honestly, anytime I hear or see the word 'transmission' written somewhere, that's where my mind goes to. smiley

4 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by FIRDAUS3(m): 7:39am On Jul 31, 2019
What about transmission, transformation , transition, transmission undecided
Kudos to my IG then!
Master of Transliteration cool

2 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by okewumi: 7:39am On Jul 31, 2019
Thumbs up Autojosh for this info.

I observed my Nissan (Auto) was not responding/sluggish when the gear was selecting from 3 to 4. My mechanic recommended to change the gear oil and and flush the dirt out. I was surprised when we smell the oil and the odour was terrible. We replaced the transmission oil and the car is back to normal. I will make sure l change the oil every 6months and see to avoid reoccurrence

Manual car. In my Hyundai Accent, l observed when you are on gear 5 at top speed, the gear rolled back to 4. Thank God l inspected the oil, that was when l observed it was dirty and low. Since l flushed it, the car back to normal.

Op, thank you once again to share this info. It will surely help nairalanders.

4 Likes

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by Meteng: 7:42am On Jul 31, 2019
visijo:
<b>When you are no longer in love with a guy , the sound of his snoring irritates you , but when you are still in love with him you will be tempted to record it and use as your ringtone�
smh
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by MyMouth(m): 7:54am On Jul 31, 2019
My sister has been using her Corolla 2003 for years now without changing the transmission oil, but so far there has been no issues. I think the oil came with the car. Pls, Is it ok to use the oil for that long?

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 31, 2019
SoNature:
OP, 5 signs that indicates is wrong English.

Please correct it to 5 Signs that Indicate

There's something called CONCORD in English.

I was told many people didn't do in school though.

Thank you

You don’t have to be disrespectful when you correct someone .

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by stancydg: 8:17am On Jul 31, 2019
Please, if the throttle doesn't respond after a few minutes in drive gear, or when raised in park mode, what could be the cause. I need a response urgently please. Thanks.

NB:The car drives when it's freshly started and then the throttle refuses to respond while driving. If you turn off the engine and restart, it picks up again.
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by Neot77(m): 8:31am On Jul 31, 2019
ops good morning, what is the transmission oil to use for Toyota Camry 2009 gear.
Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by kingreign(m): 8:31am On Jul 31, 2019
AutoJoshNG:

5. Slipping gears:

all these talks coming from someone who's not technically inclined when it comes to automotive repairs. You don't flush any transmission, if you do, the dirt's, debris and shavings will get into the VB and important valves and passages and block them, and the transmission will finally die on you. You do drain and refill. undecided

1 Like

Re: 5 Signs That Indicates Your Transmission Needs To Be Flushed by SoNature(m): 8:35am On Jul 31, 2019
Bluetooth2:

You don’t have to be disrespectful when you correct someone .

I had to look at my text again to check where I "disrespected" the OP.

It's either you live on the moon or elsewhere in the world for you not to know that the system of education in Nigeria is in ruins

(1) (2) (Reply)

Check For Stolen Vehicles On This Site By Nigerian Police Force / Driving With Or Without Shoes / thread closed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.