Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,741 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:08 PM

Should I Pay For This Apartment? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Should I Pay For This Apartment? (1607 Views)

It's A Man That Will Pay For It. Stop Exposing It - Mum Scolds Daughter (Video) / Bayo Adedeji, Wakanow CEO: I Pay My Chef N100k But Caught Him Stealing From Me / Children Surprise Their Dad With The Car He Sold To Pay For Their Mom’s Treatmen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Nobody: 10:11am On Jul 31, 2019
I need your advice, please.
We have been given up till the end of August to move out of my present house because it has been sold.
So, we got to a house which is a four flats of two bedroom apartment each.
However, the house was not well used by previous occupants. The soak away is full, the light has been disconnected, and it needs some plumbing repairs.
The landlady asked us to pay something so she can do the repairs and make the apartment ready.
The rent is 200k annually. Agent/Agreement 80k.
I thought of paying 100k first for her to do the repairs with a written note where we, the landlady and agent will sign an agreement before we balance her. Am I right?
Note: it is my first time of renting a house, please enlighten me.
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by TheMainMan: 10:16am On Jul 31, 2019
Just try and get another house... sincerely it is not worth all those stress

8 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by coolcharm(m): 10:21am On Jul 31, 2019
How can agent fee and agreement be 80k for a rent of 200k?

6 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by choice17(m): 10:22am On Jul 31, 2019
Nawa oo
Soak away full, light disconnected and plumbing repairs, all in one house

I don't understand why you still want to stay in such apartment, with all the issues you listed above

9 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Nobody: 11:09am On Jul 31, 2019
TheMainMan:
Just try and get another house... sincerely it is not worth all those stress
Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 31, 2019
coolcharm:
How can agent fee and agreement be 80k for a rent of 200k?
50k each for agent and agreement
But we told them we'll pay 40k each

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 31, 2019
choice17:
Nawa oo
Soak away full, light disconnected and plumbing repairs, all in one house

I don't understand why you still want to stay in such apartment, with all the issues you listed above

She wants to evacuate the soak away and fix the light. That's why I asked if it is worth it. Do other landlords do this?
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Bluehill1051: 11:37am On Jul 31, 2019
It's very risky but sometimes it's worth it if you are getting at a discount. For instance if other houses in that environment cost let's say 250k for same space.
I rented my first apartment in Uyo uncompleted!
Bit here in Lagos o, too many wolves and beasts everywhere, I wouldn't want to face the risk except I have personal relationship with the agent, landlady or caretaker and if I have no other option

5 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by boldx(m): 12:10pm On Jul 31, 2019
Please run away from that house. Once a house has soak away issues, just avoid it. I once lived in 2 different houses about 10kkm apart so they were not close to each other. The soak away was full, it was evacuated and within 2 days, it was full again, simply because underground water was flowing into it.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by LewsTherin: 1:20pm On Jul 31, 2019
cheenway:

50k each for agent and agreement
But we told them we'll pay 40k each

You are already being scammed. Agency and Legal is 10 percent each. Where did the 50k (later negotiated) come from?

If at all you want to.stay there, let the Landlady agree to allow you make the reapirs and deduct the cost from your rent. If you give her that money, little or nothimg will be done and you will still have to make the reapirs yourself. This time, you can not ask for it to be deducted because she will claim she has made the reapirs already and whatever was added/done by you is your business.

The light issues, does that include uncleared PHCN bills? That's another red flag. Unpaid bills guarantee that you either end up paying them or you live without PHCN.

Either the Landlady or the agents know or sense you are new at this and they want to clean you out.

No. I wouldn't take this place. I foresee a host of problems while you stay there if you are already being played like this.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by prettyangel10(f): 1:20pm On Jul 31, 2019
Please don't take the house. The Agent is looking for how to get money, the landlord/landlady too is looking for money to clean the mess. But I can assure you that you may live to regret taking such apartment.

It happened to me too, I ended up spending extra cash i didn't budget for. Shine your eyes.

4 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by boldx(m): 1:29pm On Jul 31, 2019
LewsTherin:

You are already being scammed. Agency and Legal is 10 percent each. Where did the 50k (later negotiated) come from?

If at all you want to.stay there, let the Landlady agree to allow you make the reapirs and deduct the cost from your rent. If you give her that money, little or nothimg will be done and you will still have to make the reapirs yourself. This time, you can not ask for it to be deducted because she will claim she has made the reapirs already and whatever was added/done by you is your business.

The light issues, does that include uncleared PHCN bills? That's another red flag. Unpaid bills guarantee that you either end up paying them or you live without PHCN.

Either the Landlady or the agents know or sense you are new at this and they want to clean you out.

No. I wouldn't take this place. I foresee a host of problems while you stay there if you are already being played like this.

That's absolutely correct. You are about to be scammed.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by chii8(f): 4:19pm On Jul 31, 2019
Madame run away oooo,rent a house with every needed things in place, you can evaluate before giving any agent money
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by project4OO: 5:58pm On Jul 31, 2019
LewsTherin:

If you stand on this ground, you won't get any apartment in Lagos Mainland and other parts of Lagos where rents are below 400k.

She's not being scammed.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by project4OO: 6:07pm On Jul 31, 2019
cheenway:

She wants to evacuate the soak away and fix the light. That's why I asked if it is worth it. Do other landlords do this?

Let's make a quick guess. You're trying to get a 2 bedroom apartment precisely in Akute/Ajuwon axis (near Ojodu Berger)??

If the above is true, please increase your budget or reduce the number of rooms from 2 to 1. You cannot get any decent 2-bed apartment in that axis @N200,000. It is IMPOSSIBLE. Best you can get is a highly problematic and dilapidated structure.

As per the agency/agreement fee, you're not being scammed.
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by LewsTherin: 6:31pm On Jul 31, 2019
project4OO:

If you stand on this ground, you won't get any apartment in Lagos Mainland and other parts of Lagos where rents are below 400k.

She's not being scammed.

The issue is not the rent value. The issue is the other fees attached that do not follow regular practice. Or are you saying agency and legal fees are now arbitrarily set?

If she is being asked to pay more due because she is being charged for more than one year, that is a different thing. But to fix a random price because there are "two agents"? No. That is being scammed.
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by tabithababy(f): 6:48pm On Jul 31, 2019
Op, one chance is calling you cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Nobody: 7:40pm On Jul 31, 2019
project4OO:

Let's make a quick guess. You're trying to get a 2 bedroom apartment precisely in Akute/Ajuwon axis (near Ojodu Berger)??

If the above is true, please increase your budget or reduce the number of rooms from 2 to 1. You cannot get any decent 2-bed apartment in that axis @N200,000. It is IMPOSSIBLE. Best you can get is highly problematic and dilapidated structures.

As per the agency/agreement fee, you're not being scammed.

You're right about the location. But saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a good place with 200k, I have seen many. The challenge I have is that I have only up to 15th if August to leave this present place, that's why I'm kinda in a hurry
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by project4OO: 8:03pm On Jul 31, 2019
LewsTherin:

The issue is not the rent value. The issue is the other fees attached that do not follow regular practice. Or are you saying agency and legal fees are now arbitrarily set?

If she is being asked to pay more due because she is being charged for more than one year, that is a different thing. But to fix a random price because there are "two agents"? No. That is being scammed.

I understand your view but how do you define a non-negotiable and regular practice by all agents and landlords in a locality/community?
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by project4OO: 8:07pm On Jul 31, 2019
cheenway:

You're right about the location. But saying it's IMPOSSIBLE to get a good place with 200k, I have seen many. The challenge I have is that I have only up to 15th if August to leave this present place, that's why I'm kinda in a hurry

Oh well, I would advise you search further. 2 weeks is enough to get an alternative.
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by LewsTherin: 8:13pm On Jul 31, 2019
project4OO:

I understand your view but how do you define a non-negotiable and regular practice by all agents and landlords in a locality/community?

You mean in Akute/Ajuwon axis, Agency and Legal fees are arbitrary? Based on the client's power of negotiation? Damn!
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Mizwisdom(f): 8:52pm On Jul 31, 2019
Pay for it, it's ok
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by Nigga44: 8:57pm On Jul 31, 2019
Poster I understand that you're quite in a hurry to get a new place, but I believe two weeks is a lot of time to get a better apartment than the one you described in your post. I took me less than one week to check out more than 30 apartments before finally deciding on one. All it takes is effort and dedication. Besides, I strongly doubt that your current landlord would throw you out if you exceed the 2 weeks ultimatum so long that he's sees your making effort to get a new place.

Look around for a better apartment where you'll be comfortable. Things to look out for in your search includes :
Phcn payment by previous occupant
Security(ask around if armed robbery is prevalent)
Closeness to your work place
Proximity to a market
Availability of electricity(check if the area has 33kva)
Availability of water
Plumbing work done
Does landlord live in the building? (avoid)
etc

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by mabea: 9:23pm On Jul 31, 2019
LewsTherin:

You mean in Akute/Ajuwon axis, Agency and Legal fees are arbitrary? Based on the client's power of negotiation? Damn!
I dont know where u live but that's the common practise in lagos mainland
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by project4OO: 9:29pm On Jul 31, 2019
LewsTherin:

Yes, based on my experience in that axis and some places I've been to on the mainland (including Ikeja, Berger, Ojodu, Ogba, Isheri, Magodo, Ketu and Omole).

A typical small office space of N400k in Ogba for example attracts additional N100-120k (40k each as agreement and agency fees and 20k caution fee)
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by realtalk19: 3:42am On Aug 01, 2019
cheenway:
I need your advice, please.
We have been given up till the end of August to move out of my present house because it has been sold.
So, we got to a house which is a four flats of two bedroom apartment each.
However, the house was not well used by previous occupants. The soak away is full, the light has been disconnected, and it needs some plumbing repairs.
The landlady asked us to pay something so she can do the repairs and make the apartment ready.
The rent is 200k annually. Agent/Agreement 80k.
I thought of paying 100k first for her to do the repairs with a written note where we, the landlady and agent will sign an agreement before we balance her. Am I right?
Note: it is my first time of renting a house, please enlighten me.

I wuld advice you search further. the disconnected light could be as a result of accumulated unpaid bills which u Wil not be told till u move in and in that case you wil be stucked and your money non refundable.

full soak away I'd not a good sign because that and plumbing works ought to have been done before a new tenant moves in.

once you drop money ,you wil be stucked and will have to endure the inconveniences later on.

please look further because that house is a ticking financial bomb waiting to explode on your head if you don't dodge it.

don't pay any agent till u are sure and satisfied with the accommodation and it's resources. always confirm NEPA bill so u will not end up paying outstanding debts.

availability of water(borehole) in the compound is very important and necessary.

1 Like

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by LewsTherin: 7:15am On Aug 01, 2019
mabea:
I dont know where u live but that's the common practise in lagos mainland

I don't get it. You are the 2nd person making that phrase.

Well I stay on the mainland. Agency 10 percent, legal 10 percent. My office, agency 10 percent, legal 10 percent. Every property I have rented or let out has been the same. Agency 10 percent, legal 10 percent.

At worse, they will say agency and legal are calculated for 2 years even though I am renting for 1 year. It has never been arbitrary.

So let me turn the tables around grin I don't know where you guys live, but in the Lagos I live, agency and legal are 10 percent each and anyone who says different I simply call a scam. cool cool

2 Likes

Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by nadesh(f): 7:31am On Aug 01, 2019
LewsTherin:

Well I stay on the mainland. Agency 10 percent, legal 10 percent. My office, agency 10 percent, legal 10 percent. Every property I have rented or let out has been the same. Agency 10 percent, legal 10 percent.

At worse, they will say agency and legal are calculated for 2 years even though I am renting for 1 year. It has never been arbitrary.

So let me turn the tables around grin I don't know where you guys live, but in the Lagos I live, agency and legal are 10 percent each and anyone qho teys different I simply call a scam. cool cool
When the rent is small, agency and legsl is doubled.
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by project4OO: 7:35am On Aug 01, 2019
nadesh:

When the rent is small, agency and legsl is doubled.

Same thing we have been trying to explain. No agent in Lagos will accept agency fee of N10k on a N100,000/annum apartment. Agents only remember 10% when rent is high, e.g. N600k, N1m, etc.
Re: Should I Pay For This Apartment? by mabea: 7:37am On Aug 01, 2019
LewsTherin:

So let me turn the tables around grin I don't know where you guys live, but in the Lagos I live, agency and legal are 10 percent each and anyone qho teys different I simply call a scam. cool cool
Good for you.

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Mature Woman To Marry / Why Are Short Woman/man Always Aggressive...? / Are Parties(aso-ebi) Being Abused?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.