Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,036 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:20 AM

Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (40977 Views)

Biochemistry Vs Chemical Engineering / What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. / "Ababio" Chemistry Textbook - Osei Yaw Ababio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Sirpc(m): 10:41pm On Oct 16, 2010
Pls frnds, between industrial chemistry and chemical engineering which one is better based on employment opportunity and which one is more suited in manufacturing of chemical products such as paint, soap, cosmetics and many more chemical products. Thanks for kind reply.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by MutantX(f): 11:14pm On Oct 16, 2010
ich
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Richiez(m): 9:56am On Oct 17, 2010
Both are not the same. A chemical engineer is a professional who designs the machines used and ensures that there is 'safety' in the processes involved. He is like a mechanical engineer who has sound knowlege in chemistry. An ind. Chemist knows better the best way to combine chemicals to produce marketable products. A chemical engineer can work in any firm where an industrial chemist can work, but an industrial chemist might not be able to work in some firms where a chemical engineer is needed.

1 Like

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Sirpc(m): 10:43am On Oct 17, 2010
@Richiez, tanks 4 ur useful contribution. But can a chem. Engr. Produce industrial products at al because a frnd was telling dat chem. Engrs. can only work in oil industry and dat they can not be self employed in d sense dat they can't open and run a chem. product producing mini industry without inviting an ind. Chemist.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 12:19pm On Oct 17, 2010
Good question, Pls Google up yr answer
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 12:20pm On Oct 17, 2010
I meant google up yr question
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Sirpc(m): 10:15pm On Oct 17, 2010
Any more ideal, pls.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Stamford007(m): 6:58am On Oct 18, 2010
i just got admitted 4 ind.chemistry,pls what's re d careers under ich nd can i later do masters in pharmaceutical or chemical engineering
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by NkemPeter: 1:34pm On Oct 18, 2010
Both courses are good and can almost each swap the other in job roles. The most important thing for you now is to obtain good grades in school and secure a job after graduation. Once you start working, you would find out that your interests might change to something completely different from chemicals or machines. I have both chemists and chemical engineers in my employ and assignment of job roles is based mainly on experience and not necessarily which course you studied at school. I hope you find my little advice candid enough
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by mystikal(m): 2:18pm On Oct 18, 2010
Either course, at the end of the day, if you are planning to study further, you would have had the very basic foundation, and a proper foundation at that. Goodluck
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Thespecialone(m): 2:22pm On Oct 18, 2010
I studied chem engr and I can tell you that you will have more options in Chemical engr, ultimately ensure you get good grades in school as a poster rightly pointed.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by allboyz(m): 2:37pm On Oct 18, 2010
Ind Chem i must say!
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by PurestBoy(m): 3:27pm On Oct 18, 2010
Industrial Chemistry is more important because this is what I studied and has a vast application than Chem Eng.

1 Like

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by chuqudy(m): 3:29pm On Oct 18, 2010
I am an industrial Chemist. The challenges are that most chemical engineers are taking up the works of industrial chemists while industrial chemist would hardly pick up a chemical engineer work. If you watch most job adverts, chemical engineers are more favoured. But the good news is that an industrial chemist can easily be self employed than a chemical engineer.

1 Like

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Lucky4real28(m): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2010
I am happy reading your posts cos i just gained admission into uniben to study industrial chemistry.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Lucky4real28(m): 3:53pm On Oct 18, 2010
I am happy reading your posts cos i just gained admission into uniben to study industrial chemistry.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by fransois2(m): 7:27pm On Oct 18, 2010
I'm an Industrial Chemist, the two are interwoven, while Chem Eng. is more engineering oriented, Ind. Chem focuses on application of chemistry in the industries and economic benefits and Good news is an Ind. Chemist can swap and do master in Chem Eng. Ind. Chm. considers pilot reactions before it goes into production on a large scale.
While making your decision on which one you should choose you need to think about your personal ability and again Nigeria is another big factor o.
Good Luck.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by JimmyBoy1: 7:47pm On Oct 18, 2010
Folks, and dont know much about Industrial Chemistry or Chemical Engineering, but I am worried that line of discussion has been about Jobs and careers.

I am a Finance/Investment Professional, but I sincerely believe that the future of this country lies with you Science guys, the country needs inventors, we need a direct linkage between the school laboratories and the Market place.

A single invention will make you guys Multi millionaires without ever writting a CV, and when we have many guys like you, then we will have a ountry that does almost everything by herself.

Please focus on this direction and you wont regret.

I sincerely wish you success.

1 Like

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Stamford007(m): 8:22pm On Oct 18, 2010
Am loving dis keep them coming guyz,after my bsc ind chm i wil surely further nd get master in chm eng.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Olaye: 10:59pm On Oct 18, 2010
@Poster

I have the opportunity to have been in Yr 1 in Chemistry and changed to Chemical Engineering later.

First, both courses are not the same in the course of study, while Ind Chem dwells on the science of chemicals (by this I mean the theories, calculation of moles,etc) and the industrial applications and tests; Chem Engr deals more with Processes and Systems used in manufacturing and processing.
If you are not interested in application of mathematics to engineering then leave out Chem Engr

In Nigeria, there is hardly much to do in terms of design of Chemical Engineering processes, most have already done and we only follow it, so it is difficult to do a personal business. Because of this, there are many Chem Engrs doing other things although the vacancies favour Chem Engr. This is because Chem Engrs can do well as petroleum engrs, drilling engrs, contract engrs, facilities engrs, etc

If you want to look for an engr job, then Chem Engr is your best bet but if you want to do your own chemical business, then Ind Chem is it.

Ind Chem is not only about mixing chemicals, you can be involve in the supply of such.

You can be satisfied in life if you do what you will be comfortable with (Not like been a successful Ind Chem and wishing later you were an Engr)

Let God guide you
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Chemical2(m): 11:10pm On Oct 18, 2010
@poster     Chemical Engineering was initially one of the 5 branches of chemistry but it grew so wide that there was the need for specialization. Hence it is a professional course.Deals with chemical principles indept most especially its application.Industrial chemistry is more of principles. Studied Industrial Chemistry @ UNIBEN and i can say it is a great course because it finds application in many areas which includes;materials(polymers),medicinal chemistry,phamaceutical chemistry.soil and food chemistry,electro-chemistry,environmental chemistry, Industrial chemists are grossly underutilized in Nigeria. I would say that a chemical engineer has greater prospect in the Nigerian scenario. I'm out.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by safetyman1: 1:52am On Oct 19, 2010
I think as one contributor said, you may be better off with a degree in Chem Engr than with Industrial Chemistry. But I think for International jobs, it really might not matter as an Industrial Chemist can work as a process /Chem Engr provided he has the required work exp. I take my myself as a case study, I graduated with a degree in Industrial Chemistry from UNILAG and in the last five years, I have worked as a process Engr (for ConocoPhillips UK) and as a process safety Engr (traditional terrain for Chem Engr) and I'm a member of IChemE. In my career life, I have always found my Chemistry background to be very useful and it sometimes gives one an edge over Chem Engrs. So it really depends on where you want your career to go. You must always remember that courses like Chemistry, Physics e.t.c are central science courses and with them you are really very flexible (i.e you can move into any area you want). I guess with your Industrial Chemistry degree, you might want to (in future) think of specializing because even as a Chem Engr these days specialization is very important. I hope this helps.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by JoeGaruba: 4:48am On Oct 19, 2010
I think Mechanical Engineering is the best option. However, you asked about Industrial chemistry or Chem Engrg. I'm inclined to say Chem Engrg. gives you a wider variety of choices of potential job choices. Mainly because it has more application to process/ process engineering. There is no industry, industrial/chemical/ especially petroleum/mechanical that does not follow a process.

Most importantly, many posters have said it. Get your grades up and the sky is the limit. It might be important to find people who are both and see if their work life is something you will like. Some courses sound gengen but the workload may not be right for you. Be sure you get a personality match. Ask many bankers or engineers who are bankers now, some of them may have a job they hate.

Good luck
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by chimoolla: 10:54am On Oct 19, 2010
@poster i would advice you follow your dreams! Ind chem is more versatile than chem engr reason being the former is a chemist and later an engr. As an industrial chemist your tutored chemical processes and designs. Just how a physicist is more valuable to decerning employers than an elect elect engr so also is a chem/engr. Bottom like get good grades, Gone are the days when prefixes to names matter!
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Lucky4real28(m): 3:55pm On Oct 19, 2010
Thanks to everyone that posted something.i also think its about your result and wat u know personally cos a first class holder in industrial chem is better than a second class holder in chem eng and the vice versa.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Sirpc(m): 5:11pm On Oct 19, 2010
Good ideals.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by sleekch1c(f): 9:02pm On Oct 19, 2010
ooohhh industrial chemistry is the koko, am a chemist too grin grin grin grin
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by sammiy: 11:48am On Oct 20, 2010
wao its really encouraging reading your post cos ijst gained admission into futminna to study chem.eng
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by 2sd(m): 5:38pm On Oct 20, 2010
You guys make me laugh. You guys are talking abt which one is better [size=8pt][size=8pt]btw ind. chem & chem Engn.[/size][/size] 4getting abt Nigerian factor, your choice of course of study only matters if u will actually be able to get a job at all after graduation. my brother things have gotten so worse to the extent that it is almost impossible to get a job. my advice is that jst pass through a tertiary institution and pursue a goal to succeed in life no matter your course of study. I am perfectly sure your dreams at the beginning of your study will definitely be different from what you will find out when you are in job market. i can only wish you best of luck.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Nobody: 6:51pm On Oct 20, 2010
What about those that are studing pure chemistry?
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by jiandang99: 3:19am On Oct 21, 2010
Efflorescence is really, really RuneScape Gold, and

it's going to get really, really nerfed. Right now I see about 3,500/second healing while on a "bed of

healing flora," and you know that's not going to last. A few random comments concerning 5-man healing in

the beta: Tanks have gotten out of the habit of WOW Gold healers'

mana bars. Due to intellect's becoming the stat of choice for every healing class, you'll be rocking a

significantly larger mana pool than you do now. As with health, this means you'll spend a lot more

RS Gold "wounded" (aka lower mana levels) than topped off. At

40 percent of my mana pool, I was still good for several pulls before drinking with a good

Buy WOW Gold, although my main may not be hugely representative, as she

has several heroic ICC-25 pieces. sad
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by topsy1971: 9:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
For chemical engineering, emphases are placed on design and optimisation of processes in addition to the core chemistry courses. For example, the chemical engineer will have advantage over the industrial chemist when it comes to industrial applications which involves thermodynamics, design of unit operations etc. Besides this, there is no significant difference between them when there is need for their services.

Generally speaking, any of the two will do in a typical chemical/paint industry. Industrial chemist will be more handy in the quantitative and qualitative aspects of the mixing/formulation process, while the chem engr will be more helpful in energy saving and efficiency of the process.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Prof. Ransford Gyampo Cries In Class Over Sex For Grades Accusation By BBC / Photo Of Overcrowded Lecture Hall In UNN / I've Been Rusticated From The University In My Final Year.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.