Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,865 members, 7,810,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:13 AM

Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering (40896 Views)

Biochemistry Vs Chemical Engineering / What Can I Do With Industrial Chemistry. / "Ababio" Chemistry Textbook - Osei Yaw Ababio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by jpphilips(m): 8:39am On Oct 22, 2010
[b]It is quite disheartening that there is a wide gap between the labor market and the Academic environment. I think that was the essence of Industrial training but even at that, i don't think it is enough and the kind of lies teachers feed their students to make them passionate about their courses are alarming.
first ask yourself, what does a chemical Engr do and what does an industrial chemist do?

A chem engr is basically a process Administrator while an industrial chemist is a QA/QC (Quality assurance and control) administrator both of them are two different jobs but share somethings in common. if you want me to be honest, for the sectors i am familiar with (manufacturing,oil and gas etc) a chemical engr earns more than the ICH guy any day anytime.

Now let me paint a life scenario.

If you are employed as an Industrial chemist, your work is in the LAB, your duty is to be taking samples from a manufacturing plant for instance, analyzing them and send it to the chemical Engr. the kind of tests you will be running are tests you will be thought in your second year called analytical chemistry (so don't you ever fail that course you career depends on it).
for the fact that you report to the CHEM guy makes him your boss, his job as a process man is to study the feasibility of the reaction processes you are running and ensure that production is not compromised while the ICH guy is his floor man that runs around the plant.
then you hear him saying stuffs like change power source to achieve this, ,create an adiabatic state for so so so thing, , maintain teperature for so sos o thing etc.the production plan is not with QA/QC but the chem. guy.
bottom line he designs or manages an already designed manufacturing process to ensure production while his ICH lab guy gives him results of the progress so far.
now, in Nigeria some roles swap, they may not be able to afford a chem Engr then they use an ICH guy as the process man but the chem guy does not usually do the analytical jobs.

In oil and gas the Chem Engrs are still the process guys designs and manages oil production strategies, operations like well enhancing,well shut in, programmatic s,designs, etc they are all there but the ICH guys in oil and gas are mostly at the terminals (depending on the operation of the coy) where they test and treat oil before they are sold. that notwithstanding, there are lots of operations in oil and gas where the both can fit in. some use both of them together, operations like Drilling mud engineering, well dynamics,waste management,effluent management,NDT, corrosion control, pipelines (pigging debris analysis) etc.

Most times in manufacture/production, the chem guy does procurement and they make extra box depending on the company. it just depends on the structure you meet with your employer.

don't be deceived with those self employment bullshit, at that level, it is only the capital that matters, your teachers are just giving you gist for you to develop interest, anybody can be anything with the right capital.

furthermore, the process aspect of Chem Engineering has been inculcated into the pure chemistry curriculum in most Naija universities. so if i were you i will find a UNI that does Pure and industrial chemistry as combined honors just like Mechanical and Production as combined honors
that will make you a better competitor with the CHEM guy because you know both process and analytical while he dusts you with Engineering drawing. in that case, a smart employer can give you his job. truth be told, in Naija there are no systems to design except to manage the existing ones.The big design jobs are subcontracted abroad while we do the simple ones in most cases.

Perception wise, the Engr is always more reputable in fact, in the oil and gas where Engineering firms abound there are positions that they hardly give to scientists especially when they have an Engr in that field. but u know Naija it all depends on the coy and your contacts. it doesn't stand as a law but most times they observe it.

My candid advise go for CHEM Engine,if you have opportunity for PICH OK but please stay away from stereo chemistry and physical chemistry unless you want to Lecture. ( na only periodic table, metals and their compounds they know) though it hardly counts in Naija. a chemistry only graduate can get a job in a coy where he is trained to be doing Chem Engr. job or ICH job. it depends but i always prefer the PICH guys and chem guys to them.

though i still think the most lucrative engineering in Naija are

EEE  (my favorite) those guys know too much,so much technology
Mechanical ( equipment wizards, dey get job reach hospital self)
chem can come a par with Petroleum depending on the country, if you don't have oil Sorry for petroleum

sciences can come later
that's my opinion other sectors may have more need for scientists like geologists (seismic guys i like them),physics (NDT guys) and perhaps Economics etc but they cant do without their equipments (mechanical) and electronics.

But ironically, Administration decides the faith of the Engrs and scientists that you will never be told in a science class grin grin grin grin

hope this will help[/b]

3 Likes

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by lekside44(m): 10:35am On Oct 22, 2010
chemical engineering is an engineering course while applied chemistry is a science course
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by misterseed(m): 10:44am On Oct 22, 2010
Follow your heart please.You can do a PGD in Chem Eng if you choose und. chem first.Good grades matter.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by tolakolapo(f): 11:01pm On Feb 01, 2011
topsy1971:

For chemical engineering, emphases are placed on design and optimisation of processes in addition to the core chemistry courses. For example, the chemical engineer will have advantage over the industrial chemist when it comes to industrial applications which involves thermodynamics, design of unit operations etc. Besides this, there is no significant difference between them when there is need for their services.

Generally speaking, any of the two will do in a typical chemical/paint industry. Industrial chemist will be more handy in the quantitative and qualitative aspects of the mixing/formulation process, while the chem engr will be more helpful in energy saving and efficiency of the process.

agreed wit d above quoted, it depends on wt u feel comfortable wiv, bt in my own point of view, industrial chemistry is stil beta dan chem.eng, wel not sure abwt in nigeria bt places like UK n so on, ind. chemistry is beta. All i cld jus say is both of dem works togeda. lemme give an example, i work in a chemical company as a research & development chemist, currently a new project is been carrried out by d company whcih worths millions of pounds, i and one of my wrk colleague were given dis project to handle while d process, designs and operations was given to a chem. engineer to handle. so in any chemical company, both d ind. chemist n chem. eng wil stil always wrk in line with one another.

Say if there is any need for formulations changes or troubleshootin, an industrial chemist wil b gud for d job part n if der is need for process optimisation, a chem. eng wil b d guru here, so if we r talkin abwt countries outside nigeria, both of dem r lucrative so it all depends on u personally.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by LUCASC(m): 1:03am On Aug 08, 2013
High guys ind chem is my dream course where should i apply
and which company needs a chem graduate pls help.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by pipz(m): 4:09pm On Jun 12, 2015
Hi House,

Can i please, get a link to any lecturer preferably UNILAG from the Chemical Engineering Dept. to take private coaching classes in

1. Separation Processes & Multi-component Separation

2. Mass & Energy Balance calculations.

Please, the person can be a PHD student or possess an M. Eng & at least one year lecturing experience in this field and must also be lecturing currently.

Location. Island, Lagos.

Period is going to be for 20 days. maximum of 4 hrs per day.

Interested person can drop me a mail on adeola0072003@yahoo.com or send a msg here.

Fees: Negotiable.

thanks
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by darkhorizon: 6:03am On Aug 22, 2016
@jpphilips you are so full of shiit!!!
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by jessetom(m): 8:40am On Aug 22, 2016
Industrial Chemistry is just glorified pure chemistry that's trying to mimicking ChemE but unfortunately, it ain't good enough.

Industrial Chemistry and ChemE are not abi never the same. It is small scale vs large scale, basically. ChemE have a wider skill set (which the chemist lack) ; heat transfer, control engineering, thermodynamics, fluid mechanics, design, too much to mention. Chemical engineers can be employed as process chemist or be involved in process development stage which is a traditional industrial chemist job. Industrial chemist can never be process engineers. They lack the practical and theoretical knowledge of unit operations, Process dynamics and control amongst others. They can never obtain engineering jobs. While we(ChemE) can work as chemist.
I can be a flow assurance, pipeline engineer, Process engineer, product engineer, plant engineer, Process chemist, researchers(doing mostly chemist related jobs), corrosion engineer, environmental engineer, biochemical engineer, a Petroleum&natural gas and petrochemical engineer, Resvoir engineer, control engineer, sales and marketing, just to mention a few.

So I think this comparison is done by the unenlightened mind. And people who know nothing about the beautiful world of Chemical Engineering should put a sock in it.
There is a sharp line between engineering and science (Chemistry)
Chemical Engineering is the future!
Choose ChemE!!!
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by jpphilips(m): 1:02pm On Aug 22, 2016
darkhorizon:
@jpphilips you are so full of shiit!!!

I understand your frustrations.

2 Likes

Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by osjoshua(m): 5:05pm On May 28, 2017
Lucky4real28:
I am happy reading your posts cos i just gained admission into uniben to study industrial chemistry.

got 237 industrial chemistry in uniben with subject
combination of
English,
Chemistry,
Physics and
biology...
is the combination correct?
please it's urgent.. tnx in advance sir
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by osjoshua(m): 5:07pm On May 28, 2017
Chemical2:
@poster     Chemical Engineering was initially one of the 5 branches of chemistry but it grew so wide that there was the need for specialization. Hence it is a professional course.Deals with chemical principles indept most especially its application.Industrial chemistry is more of principles. Studied Industrial Chemistry @ UNIBEN and i can say it is a great course because it finds application in many areas which includes;materials(polymers),medicinal chemistry,phamaceutical chemistry.soil and food chemistry,electro-chemistry,environmental chemistry, Industrial chemists are grossly underutilized in Nigeria. I would say that a chemical engineer has greater prospect in the Nigerian scenario. I'm out.

combination of
English,
Chemistry,
Physics and
biology...
please it's urgent.. tnx Sir
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by jessetom(m): 10:28pm On May 28, 2017
First of all, engineering and sciences are very very different from each other.
Engineers apply scientific principles to design, model, synthesise, and develop processes and products that makes life easier.
Engineering training is very different from science training and it gives you this kind of intuition when you want to solve problems which is different from that of sciences. That's one thing we should be aware of.

There are two things involved in Industrial production.
The Product Design, and the Process Design. Industrial chemistry focuses on the Product design, the synthesis, how to make a lab scale or testube scale of some chemical, say A body was. How to develop it. And also how to improve it. They have negligible knowledge about the process design.

Chemical engineers (a.k.a Process Engineers) have considerable knowledge of product design but are more interested in the Process design. About the technology, equipment and process required to produce 55,000 tonnes of this body wash per hour, packaging it, and at times product sales and economics. Chemical engineers will design the plant, the reactors where the test tube reaction will take place in large scale. They will be concerned about heat and mass transfer, the various equipment, instruments and control elements needed to monitor the process. Where necessary, they will run simulation and all that. They are just engineers. And mind you, they have appreciable knowledge of physical and analytical chemistry, reaction mechanisms etc and in some cases, microbiology and biochemistry. They are more versatile...
N.B: All the above stated process knowledge is lacked by the Industrial chemist.

Chemical engineers have so many prospects. You can be at the leading edge of breakthrough research and development i First of all, engineering and sciences are very very different from each other.
Engineers apply scientific principles to design, model, synthesise, and develop processes and products that makes life easier.
Engineering training is very different from science training and it gives you this kind of intuition when you want to solve problems which is different from that of sciences. That's one thing we should be aware of.

There are two things involved in Industrial production.
The Product Design, and the Process Design. Industrial chemistry focuses on the Product design, the synthesis, how to make a lab scale or testube scale of some chemical, say A body was. How to develop it. And also how to improve it. They have negligible knowledge about the process design.

Chemical engineers (a.k.a Process Engineers) have considerable knowledge of product design but are more interested in the Process design. About the technology, equipment and process required to produce 55,000 tonnes of this body wash per hour, packaging it, and at times product sales and economics. Chemical engineers will design the plant, the reactors where the test tube reaction will take place in large scale. They will be concerned about heat and mass transfer, the various equipment, instruments and control elements needed to monitor the process. Where necessary, they will run simulation and all that. They are just engineers. And mind you, they have appreciable knowledge of physical and analytical chemistry, reaction mechanisms etc and in some cases, microbiology and biochemistry. They are more versatile...
N.B: All the above stated process knowledge is lacked by the Industrial chemist.

Chemical engineers have so many prospects. You can be at the leading edge of breakthrough research in so many fields; biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, biomedicals, so much more.
you can work in manufacturing, renewable energy, oil and gas, brewing, food and consumer products, metal, glass and other materials, nuclear, you can be a mechanical engineer in many fields, you can be an electrical engineer as a Process control engineer, you can be a sales and economics engineer since you have good idea of plant and process economics. You can also become a Process Safety Engineer as you have good knowledge of loss prevention and process safety. You can also be a petroleum engineer. You can be whatever you want!

I don't know about Industrial Chemistry, but I can tell you, Chemical engineers rock!
I'm a Chemical Engineering Undergraduate myself, 4th year and I'm enjoying every part of it!
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by Lucky4real28(m): 12:42pm On Jun 04, 2017
osjoshua:

combination of
English,
Chemistry,
Physics and
biology...
please it's urgent.. tnx in advance sir
No sir, the combination is wrong, industrial chemistry should be maths, English, physics and chemistry. Please consider changing to biochemistry of microbiology.
Re: Industrial Chemistry Vs Chemical Engineering by koljakust(m): 10:51pm On Dec 09, 2022
It is very important that you be careful when using chemicals if you resell or use such chemicals very often, it is very important that you know the chemical safety data sheets that should be with any such class of chemicals and they are widely distributed in the autumn and are sds online management !

(1) (2) (Reply)

I've Been Rusticated From The University In My Final Year. / Man Deported To Nigeria When Daughter Was 8, Shows Up At Her Graduation In U.S / Ambrose Alli University Students Protest At Police Station Against Harassments

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.