Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,123 members, 7,852,814 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 06:19 AM

Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. (38162 Views)

Sanwo-Olu Inspects Progress Of Work At The Stations Along The Red Line Rail / Goodluck Jonathan In Mali To Check Progress Of Mali's Return To Democracy / National Assembly Members In US To See Progress Of Work On Super Tucano Aircraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Reference(m): 3:25pm On Aug 01, 2019
MurderX:

This will prevent the possibility of shipping via the Niger to the east. No matter the dredging, this bridge will prevent bigger ships from getting to the east through the Niger.

The River Niger will never be open to blue water vessels if that is what you are thinking. Most tropical rivers are not due to the topography and geology that makes them prone to silting. The bridge decks are however high enough to take most white water crafts. I hope to use it in a couple of years for logistics if I can overcome some serious administrative hurdles. Hopefully rhe bridge will be done by then.

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by stankezzy: 3:26pm On Aug 01, 2019
Afamed:

Most of you don't deserve reply most times. From nothing like second Niger bridge, now it's Buhari is blocking the bridge so vessels and ships can't pass. Who has done this to you people for God sake?
all of una plans have failed God pass u and your Buhari ,u can never hold a jew down because we are Gods people , we will always find a way , plans to frustrate onitsha wharf or mini harbor will never happen, with God we will always defeat una
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by winterfell007(m): 3:31pm On Aug 01, 2019
obailala:
I understand PPP plan for the bridge has been cancelled and the contract renegotiated. The FG now funds it fully; Fashola even made mention of this in his ministerial screening when taking questions just this Monday.

No. The project is actively funded and managed by the NSIA through the Excess Crude Account (ECA) which is apparently under their management.
, the Federal Ministry of Works is only a partner and supervisor since they partly funded the project by paying up their counterpart funding
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by nextstep(m): 3:33pm On Aug 01, 2019
bigpicture001:

Longer bridges abroad dont hv this much pillers....bad engineering!

Build for the local conditions. Do you know how much that river swells in rainy season.
If they use fewer pillars and the bridge fails, people will come back here complaining about bad engineering.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Reference(m): 3:39pm On Aug 01, 2019
Mynd44:

Yes. If it was financing, your idea would be easier and save a whole lot of time, energy and resources but it cant happen

Who said so. A bridge is the cheapest structure that can be built across a body of water particularly one that is moving. What he is asking is for an abutment which is like the toy version of a dam. Across a moving body of water and against sedimentary loads it will need ten times the amount of bulk as a bridge to theoreticaaly keep still or ten times the number of piles to prevent it topling over. Then you consider maritime traffic.

What they build is a typical third world bridge, piers and decks only, cheap, fast and safe for their sorry arses. Then they charge you a world class bill and take home the bacon because al you know is kilishi or roundabout. I bet all the real design work on that bridge is in the foundations. The rest of it has sat in Julius Bergers design offices since 1973 waiting for the next project. What I am seeing looks exactly like the Murtala Mohammed bridge in Ajaokuta, Kogi state.

Well, beggars cannot be choosers.

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by winterfell007(m): 3:40pm On Aug 01, 2019
Godoverevery:

stop acting delude...... **construction started 2014**isn't that 5yrs after been a presidentd more you try to defend Gej over the bridge d more it sounds irritating honestly.

What's the fuss about the actual time the construction work started? The most important thing is that they adequately took care of the funding arrangement to ensure that project doesn't suffer any setback financially.
Even if Gej won his election, construction work would have been still ongoing until the end of his tenure in 2019. Buhari came and met an on-going project still in the works and continued from there. As we know, the project is still taking Buhari five years and... To complete. So biggie!! I ain't holding brief for anyone mind you
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by OmoManU: 3:43pm On Aug 01, 2019
yemmight:
Later some IPOB bigots will say there is nothing like 2nd bridge construction in the east.
Buhari the best thing to NIGERIA since bread and butter. Muhammadu Buhari the night mere of some bad Igbo people

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by obailala(m): 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2019
winterfell007:

No. The project is actively funded and managed by the NSIA through the Excess Crude Account (ECA) which is apparently under their management.
, the Federal Ministry of Works is only a partner and supervisor since they partly funded the project by paying up their counterpart funding
Partly funded the project?.... The explanation Fashola gave during the screening was that there was difficulty getting the private investors for the project, so the project is currently fully funded by FG through the NSIA (whatever that is). Too many complicated grammar involved in all these...
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by deepwater(f): 3:44pm On Aug 01, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

Is this how bridges are constructed on expanded rivers and lagoons?

I have always wondered how third mainland bridge was built. Do the engineers have to sand-fill every now and then before they can complete it?

No, there is something called pilling and suction in shallow waters.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by ezeegolimited30(m): 3:45pm On Aug 01, 2019
Ipob terrorist group won't like this at all, I'm highly impressed that buhari is fast on it nd on enugu/anambra express way! Solid work on ground

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Reference(m): 3:48pm On Aug 01, 2019
nextstep:

Build for the local conditions. Do you know how much that river swells in rainy season.
If they use fewer pillars and the bridge fails, people will come back here complaining about bad engineering.

Clever by half. If the river 'swells' as you say then wouldn't it be reasonable just to span over it. Oga, the truth is that what you see is the cheapest form of construction. We just donot have the resources for more elaborate and eye catching engineering and infrastructure masterpieces. Not just bridges but airports, interchanges, multirise buildings, etc.

And when I say resources, I don't mean money, I mean know how from conception to project management, infrastructure financing, industry support. We simply donot have the capacity to think things and do things. Wr are like a baby which must eat banana flavoured puree for breakfast everyday wothout question since we donot know where the kitchen is. Do these multinational companies give us banana flavoured puree at the price of a three course breakfast.

Just go to Akwa Ibom and see what Julius Berger was 'forced' to do by folks who thought, 'hey must all bridges look alike....'

Side Note: If Akpabio could be made Minister of Works I thonk we will probably get better deals from these multinationals. The man knows quality.

3 Likes

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Nodogragra4me(m): 3:51pm On Aug 01, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

I have always wondered how third mainland bridge was built. Do the engineers have to sand-fill every now and then before they can complete it?

No
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by MyGeneration(m): 3:55pm On Aug 01, 2019
etrouble:
And they still hate Buhari. What your brother Goatluck could not do for 5.5 wated years, what your party PDP could not do for 16 miserable years, your enemy, the Fulani herdsman called Buhari is doing it. May God not make us beg our enemy for food. The money in imPatience Jonathan accounts can build this bridge.
shut up who are the they?

Or is afenifere an igbo organization?
Are the shittes igbos?

Mumu

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Femi316: 4:07pm On Aug 01, 2019
theenchanter:
The question is..... since they can sandfill the construction site for heavy trucks to move materials, why can't they just sandfill that very place and build the road on it without building the bridge?

Won't it save more than building the bridge? undecided
You no get ideal on construction work, so jes keep quiet.....?
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Cadec007(m): 4:30pm On Aug 01, 2019
bigpicture001:

Yes they can...by placing very many large pipes below the constructed road to allow for water flow
leemao... That's a river not a moat...
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by unikprince(m): 4:36pm On Aug 01, 2019
theenchanter:
The question is..... since they can sandfill the construction site for heavy trucks to move materials, why can't they just sandfill that very place and build the road on it without building the bridge?

Won't it save more than building the bridge? undecided
Have u thought about overflowing of the river and possible flooding?
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by nextstep(m): 4:44pm On Aug 01, 2019
Reference:

Clever by half. If the river 'swells' as you say then wouldn't it be reasonable just to span over it. Oga, the truth is that what you see is the cheapest form of construction. We just donot have the resources for more elaborate and eye catching engineering and infrastructure masterpieces. Not just bridges but airports, interchanges, multirise buildings, etc.

And when I say resources, I don't mean money, I mean know how from conception to project management, infrastructure financing, industry support. We simply donot have the capacity to think things and do things. Wr are like a baby which must eat banana flavoured puree for breakfast everyday wothout question since we donot know where the kitchen is. Do these multinational companies give us banana flavoured puree at the price of a three course breakfast.

Just go to Akwa Ibom and see what Julius Berger was 'forced' to do by folks who thought, 'hey must all bridges look alike....'

Side Note: If Akpabio could be made Minister of Works I thonk we will probably get better deals from these multinationals. The man knows quality.

I agree with your post, and I like your explanation: basically we're using the cheapest method and don't have much imagination. It's the same with some of our "state of the art" hospitals that look like private bungalows.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Kennydoc(m): 5:01pm On Aug 01, 2019
FOLYKAZE:

Exactly what is going thru my mind. China builds bridges over seas for several miles length. Is this how they do it?
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Nobody: 5:04pm On Aug 01, 2019
9jatriot:
They have been some gains. The indices are looking up, things can and should get better though. You will have to agree that the spate of job losses has reduced.
The stock market has the worst indices since ages.
Our debts have hit the roof and is about shattering it.
The budget performances over the last four years have been the worst since 1999
The inflation is still in double digit
Our exchange rate has plummeted to 360
Unemployment is still at 23% and poverty index is the highest in the world. Are these the gains you're talking about? Eehn zombie?
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by 9jatriot(m): 5:09pm On Aug 01, 2019
Buckubuck:

The stock market has the worst indices since ages.
Our debts have hit the roof and is about shattering it.
The budget performances over the last four years have been the worst since 1999
The inflation is still in double digit
Our exchange rate has plummeted to 360
Unemployment is still at 23% and poverty index is the highest in the world. Are these the gains you're talking about? Eehn zombie?
What is it with the insult at the end?
Well, I am too busy to engage you especially as I know you will not have an argument but will resort to insults, something I know you are likely to defeat me in. I don't do insults at all.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Tamunotonye22(m): 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2019
etrouble:
And they still hate Buhari. What your brother Goatluck could not do for 5.5 wated years, what your party PDP could not do for 16 miserable years, your enemy, the Fulani herdsman called Buhari is doing it. May God not make us beg our enemy for food. The money in imPatience Jonathan accounts can build this bridge.

Finally you have shown the world how foolish you're, Good luck only had one tenure and built so many things in the north (almajiri whatever) and you're...
You're very foolish.
How long is that bridge to be precise?

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Nobody: 5:14pm On Aug 01, 2019
9jatriot:

What is it with the insult at the end?
Well, I am too busy to engage you especially as I know you will not have an argument but will resort to insults, something I know you are likely to defeat me in. I don't do insults at all.
If you want to do intelligent discourse then you shouldn't have gone the route of an apologist to a govt that lost 23m jobs and replaced it with 500k n-power. Or is that the job loss reduction you're talking abt?
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by winterfell007(m): 5:25pm On Aug 01, 2019
obailala:
Partly funded the project?.... The explanation Fashola gave during the screening was that there was difficulty getting the private investors for the project, so the project is currently fully funded by FG through the NSIA (whatever that is). Too many complicated grammar involved in all these...
Don't worry your head about Fashola's grammar. What should you know is that the financing arrangement has been concluded as far back as 2013. NSIA and JB Co-own the project. Are you aware JB is also partly funding the project. That's why I can bet that the Second Niger Bridge will be tolled as planned.

1 Like

Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by logizorla: 5:26pm On Aug 01, 2019
it's a wonderful work going on here, first hand info, we are seeing life not a kind of a paper work.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Kayrich(m): 5:34pm On Aug 01, 2019
Why are people talking like this. You will come again and say govt didn't do drainage for people who will raise settlement there. Sandfill a river and build a road on it... C'mon 3rd mainland bridge wasnt done that way.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Reference(m): 5:37pm On Aug 01, 2019
nextstep:

I agree with your post, and I like your explanation: basically we're using the cheapest method and don't have much imagination. It's the same with some of our "state of the art" hospitals that look like private bungalows.

We are yet to translate education and the truckloads of degree certificates churned out each year into what I call 'professional culture' where we think, eat and sleep the nuts and bolts of the courses we read. Education is supposed to enhance man and his environment not just a means to a meal ticket.

While the only thing we can question about the project is the cost, very few are able to question the competence because it is 'way over our heads' and these expatriates know this so they donot give us value for money. River Niger is the River Thames or the Mississippi of Nigeria and the Onitsha crossing is the busiest section. It should have a landmark crossing, one that makes a statement, one that generates tourist dollars, one that you can put on the cover of a 'Come Visit Nigeria', one that countless movies would be staged on... honestly we.... are just third world.... angry

We are just struggling to survive and haven't started living... it is all so uninspiring but at least we are grateful it is being done. But spare a thought for the fact that the three most picturesque bridges, the Ikoyi-Lekki link, the Abak gorge bridge in Akwa Ibom and the Kofar Mata triple interchange in Kano were built by state governments and somewhat in record time without a hint of noise.

Does it not show that States can actually perform better than the Federal government if given the impetus by a restructuring drive of this country that puts resources and the means of resource drive in their hands and makes them compete amongst themselves... is it not the great Fashola that built the beautiful partial cable stayed bridge in Lagos that is presiding over this concrete monstrosity....

Something is wrong in this country. And I tell you what....LIBERTY. When people can take independent decisions they are more creative, more productive and more competitive. The decisions Fashola took in Lagos he cannot do in Abuja. His performances now are an averaging out of his support groupings and directives from above which puts him in a position far below his competencies. This is the tragedy of Nigeria.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by ThatFairGuy: 6:04pm On Aug 01, 2019
And i hope you still remember SOIL STRUCTURE are not always the same. Besides, they are competent enough to know what is required of the construction. You can't teach them their work.
bigpicture001:

Longer bridges abroad dont hv this much pillers....bad engineering!
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by mechanics(m): 8:13pm On Aug 01, 2019
Mynd44:

They can't as it will lead to flooding of the communities along the banks. You can block the path of water

And if you notice, they aren't blocking the entire path of the river, just a section. When they want to build the other part, they will open the one they blocked.
you are right.
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Dave0116(m): 8:58pm On Aug 01, 2019
EXOUSIAng:

Why do you always have to find something negative to say, the lekki road constructed by LCC is it not better, what of the ikoyi bridge, am sure i ply that road much more than you do and we are not complaining, stop being a bitter pill. ... Why didnt your Goodluck finish it..... Even when the government is doing something good you still force a bad out of it...
you are just a wicked being, you need help
"your Goodluck" Why do you guys find it difficult to be constructive in your argument without introducing tribal war For the records I don't support the east, west or north am among the few Nigerians with functional brains who believe Nigeria holds more potentials if we can unite and do the right thing together than being divided and we all become worst than Somalia..... As for your comment, you can't compare ikoyi to Niger bridge sir, that's the busiest route into SE, putting a tow there will constitute crazy traffic which will cripple economic activities immersely, those of us who ply that route will understand.

Good you acknowledged their Good luck started it. grin
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Dave0116(m): 8:59pm On Aug 01, 2019
Studyinchina200:
Stay woke ,stay woke. Now am having insomnia
one day one day e go better
Re: Construction Progress Of 2nd Niger Bridge. by Dave0116(m): 9:00pm On Aug 01, 2019
ridbell01:
your hero ought to have done that also
be a hero... Give a name tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Ogun To Suspend Lockdown Free Days On Friday / We Can’t Give You A New Constitution, Senate Tells Nigerians / Proposed National Conference: A Case For Kwara State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.