Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,223 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:45 AM

Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live (19464 Views)

Good City To Live In Brazil / 2012 World Most Liveable Cities:lagos Ranks 3rd Worst Most Liveable City On List / Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live –report (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by bilms(m): 10:23am On Aug 16, 2012
Lagos, world’s 3rd worst city to live...............mirror.

Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial nerve center, is the third worst city to live in the world, a new report carried out by The Economist Intelligence Unit has revealed. According to the report on Liveability, which assesses locations around the world that provide the best or the worst living conditions, Lagos placed 138th out of the 140 cities surveyed.

Dhaka, the capital of Bangladesh, is the overall worst city while Port Moresby in Papua New Guinea came second in the chart of the worst cities to live in the world.

Abidjan in Côte d’Ivoire placed 131st; Tehran, Iran came 132; Douala, Cameroon is the 133rd; Tripoli, Libya placed 134th; Karachi, Pakistan came 135th; Algiers, Algeria is 136th while Harare in Zimbabwe placed 137th in the category of the worst cities in the world.

Ironically, Africa was given prime place in the category of worst cities to live as six out of 10 worst cities are on the continent. According to the survey, Melbourne, Australia tops the list of the best cities to live in, while Vienna, Austria, is the second best city.

Three Canadian cities Vancouver, Toronto, and Calgary – are third, fourth and fifth best cities to live in. Again, Adelaide and Sydney, both Australian cities placed sixth and seventh liveable places in the world.

Helsinki, Finland is eighth; Perth, Australia and Auckland, New Zealand are the ninth and 10th best places to live.

No African cities feature among the best 10 cities to live in the world. Every city in the survey is assigned a rating of relative comfort for over 30 qualitative and quantitative factors across five broad categories: stability; healthcare; culture and environment; education; and infrastructure.

Each factor in a city is rated as acceptable, tolerable, uncomfortable, undesirable or intolerable. In terms of stability, Lagos scores 25 per cent; 33.3 per cent in healthcare, 52.3 per cent in culture and environment and 48.2 per cent in infrastructure.

In the survey, Lagos has overall rating of 39.0 per cent. The ideal is 100

In the healthcare category, availability of private healthcare, quality of private healthcare, availability of public healthcare, quality of public healthcare and availability of over-the counter drugs were used as the criteria.

In culture and environment category, the following: humidity/temperature rating, discomfort of climate to travelers, level of corruption, social or religious restrictions, level of censorship, sporting availability, cultural availability, food and drink, consumer goods and services are used as the indices.

In the survey, availability of private education, quality of private education and public education are used in the education category.

In infrastructure where Lagos was scored 48.2 rating, indices such as quality of road network, quality of public transport, quality of international links, availability of good quality housing, quality of energy provision, quality of water provision, and quality of telecommunications were used.

“Conflict is responsible for many of the lowest scores. This is not only because stability indicators have the highest single scores, but also because factors defining stability spread to have an adverse effect on other categories. For example, the threat of armed conflict will not just cause disruption in its own right, it will also damage infrastructure, overburden hospitals, and undermine the availability of goods, services and recreational activities. Africa (North and Sub-Saharan) and Asia account for all 13 cities, with violence, whether through crime, civil insurgency, terrorism or war, playing a strong role,” the report stated.......
http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/48647.html

DO YOU AGREE?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Chanchit: 11:24am On Aug 16, 2012
They are crazy... Thats how they sit down in their bedroom, typing rubbish... If they like make them put us for 200..

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Stallion77(f): 12:14pm On Aug 16, 2012
Rubbish!

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by bilms(m): 3:13pm On Aug 16, 2012
lol...

just agree or disagree

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 16, 2012
bilms:
http://nationalmirroronline.net/news/48647.html

DO YOU AGREE?
Common worst city? We couldn't even take first?

6 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by SamMilla1(m): 3:43pm On Aug 16, 2012
Lagos is a dirty city. It annoys me when people compare any city in west and east Africa with Europe, US, UK, Aussies or even Asia. A village in Eastern Germany is more liveable than Lagos. Even in Nigeria here, in terms of liveable cities, i will rate Enugu ahead of Lagos any day. Lagos is just one massive over-rated European car dustbin.

16 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 3:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Laptop number 41. A new recruit of f d f
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Maxymilliano(m): 3:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
I beg to disagree with this.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by miteolu(m): 3:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sam Milla: Lagos is a dirty city

Na u dirty Lagos u beta go back to where u belong with your belongings

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by chucky234(m): 3:47pm On Aug 16, 2012
Agreed
LWKMD

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by emilyone(f): 3:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
how can my mega city be a dirty city
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by collins123(m): 3:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
Dirty, but we nigerians love dirty moneysmiley

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Super1759: 3:48pm On Aug 16, 2012
I don't know why I just hate that garbage city called LAGOS
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by alumnidoggz(m): 3:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
Sam Milla: Lagos is a dirty city
mr sam,where b ur state of origin?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by nekaa(f): 3:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
Like seriously?......
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by SamMilla1(m): 3:49pm On Aug 16, 2012
miteolu:

Na u dirty Lagos u beta go back to where u belong with your belongings

Apparently, you have never traveled outside Africa.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by gudnex22(m): 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
Before nko what do u expect? I AGREE!!! Hahahahahaa
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by galaxy4rep(m): 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
Enugu is d best city in nigeria!

7 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by DonHummer(m): 3:50pm On Aug 16, 2012
One man food is anoda man poison...
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by NaijaSwagger: 3:51pm On Aug 16, 2012
useless city lagos

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Afam4eva(m): 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
I think some years back Lagos did a little bit better. That means that Fashola has not been paying attention to the most important variables.

A similar report was carried out by the same group in 2010 and Lagos did fairly better https://www.nairaland.com/397594/lagos-rated-fifth-worst-city
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 16, 2012
It really is. Lord is miss Accra.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Super1759: 3:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
Just as mad people value rags and can't do without it. Lagosians value the mad zone called lagos...tufiakwa
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by pembisco(m): 3:53pm On Aug 16, 2012
Mek we hear word abeg! Jealousy ko kee wuna aswear,they there dey hate our lagos 4 nija,hypocrite! Infct mek u kal d city d worst place in d world,we lykam nd appreciatam dt way,Nonsence!

1 Like

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Dawdy(m): 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
Man proposes, God disposes.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Thayay(m): 3:54pm On Aug 16, 2012
I thought lagos should be 1st 4rm d back:/
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by 193: 3:56pm On Aug 16, 2012
I agree with dis post

Lagos is some smelly city 2 live
And even d people who live in it, d lagosians have this smell
dey carry about when dey talk,touch or even walk past you

D drainages are terrible, d air isn't breath-able, d smell
Heat, fumes, people everywhere like roaches

Lord av mercy and yet u hear some people sayin Lagos is d ish
Smh# I prefer my village with no lite 2 lagos with 247 lite

Eko nor be only one stup1d baje
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Ournaija: 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
How many cities in Nigeria are recognized internationally?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Smartjeezy(m): 3:57pm On Aug 16, 2012
Super1759: I don't know why I just hate that garbage city called LAGOS
i think u reside in ajegunle?come to my house in ikoyi and see things.
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 16, 2012
The assessment is not been fair if cities like karachi,libya, pakistan Algeria are rated above lag then its not being fair
Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by denitro(m): 4:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
Chanchit: They are crazy... Thats how they sit down in their bedroom, typing rubbish... If they like make them put us for 200..

They are not, Seriously! I have visited some of the cities mentioned. they are right.
We all have to stop thinking we are at the center of the universe.
Lagos is a terrible place to live.. I know that and acknowledge it...

7 Likes

Re: Lagos, World’s 3rd Worst City To Live by Super1759: 4:00pm On Aug 16, 2012
Smart jeezy:
i think u reside in ajegunle?come to my house in ikoyi and see things.
make I come your house? You go borrow me your babe for 2hours? Abeg

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerians In Argentina And Other Unusual Places / Three Clerics Die In Road Accident In Ekiti / 30-Year-Old Graduate Killed In Accident Caused By Security Men In Enugu. Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.