Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,836 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:29 PM

Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria (16528 Views)

Goodbye Nigeria, Welcome Oduduwa Republic, - Femi Fani-kayode / Goodbye Nigeria, Welcome Oduduwa Republic, By Femi Fani-kayode / Photo!!! Is GEJ Saying Goodbye To Aso Rock? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by Rhea(f): 12:01pm On Oct 19, 2010
[size=20pt]ARGUMENT UPON ARGUMENT[/size] grin
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by OboBoco(f): 12:11pm On Oct 19, 2010
@ ILEKE-IDL

sorry for derailing your thread, was just wondering,

where are you from
asked because i saw
waiting for ezeuche to finish cooking me some edesi isip. on your profile.
just curious
atie nte ato ibibio or efik aye sin ami mbub de fi, ( hope you understand what i wrote. lol. )
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by OmoTier1(m): 12:12pm On Oct 19, 2010
smanuel:

You People?? How dare you I dont give f, K how long you have lived in the States, or how blue your passport is, how many ways you change your name, how well your accent has evolved, how many american kids you have, you are still Nigerian, denounce it all you want. At the end of the day, "Nigerian-American Immigrant" will precede your name or your parents name, either way, success or failure. Believe me, this is coming from a a person whose doesn't care a hoot about African and Nigeria in particular before I visited.  (You People) that you refer to have a very strong indomitable spirit that you can not begin to imagine. In the face of such hopelessness and plenty, people are still striving and surviving. In case you are wondering, I am half Nigerian and I visit that country 3 times a year and I love it, despite its challenges. Its my believe that (YOU PEOPLE) will make that nation better. Stay in the States, Nigerian-American Igbo Girl!  

SPOT ON THAT WAS JUST MY THOUGHT! What many often fail to remember is that even wth the so called blue or pink or red passports; whenever they are given a government form to fill ( online and/or paper) they would always ask to to tick or print in BOLD their orign and often times those forms remind them that they are FORIEGNERS i.e in the UK they would say BLACK: African origin, of British decent/British controled territory, or mixed race!
Change is happening in Nigeria and when say change, I mean positive change! How many of you saw the number of companies that attended the Power reform/Energy summit GEJ chaired couple of days ago? over 200 Eureopean, US and Local firms! And more encouraging part is that most states are beginning to domesticate local content which from a realiable report I have (compiled by an agency) is beginning to favour home grown in the construction industry!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by osifred(m): 12:22pm On Oct 19, 2010
as i read 2ru dis article sudden tear roll down ma cheeck tears of hope tears of patrotism tears of fear of a nigeria of ma dream.like garrick and adu i am one of d nigerians in disapora now more dan ever b4 i am commitment to building a nigeria of our dream a home where we wil nt be ashame to call our own.join my group on facebuk new nigeria international.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by fred4alabi(m): 12:26pm On Oct 19, 2010
@ all nairalanders. i enjoy reading on niraland always. i just wonder why some people just pick at the another like they knew each other before. I always find it interesting. My greatest regrets still lies in the quote of chief obafemi Awolowo in 1974 that "its better to be an illiterate than being half educated".

Majority of comments and feed back i read on nairaland is much sponsored by half-baked graduates and people who perhaps never was privileged to attend a private school of any sort. i just wonder how Nigerian have negative thoughts about everything, no bit of positivity in some of them and yet they want this county to be great. Great country emerges out of citizens with great minds.

Nigerians have people with great minds too but are greatly surrounded by people whom are products and frustrations and ready to frustrate everybody and everything.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 19, 2010
!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by Nobody: 1:05pm On Oct 19, 2010
[
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by omoabike: 1:44pm On Oct 19, 2010
Guys
It is been interesting for me reading through the comments on this topic. I am so happy to read what Kobojunkie has been saying and I think her comments should serve as good lesson for any would be immigrant arriving in the West (especially the United States).

I was lucky to live in the US for 2 years until two months ago on transfer from Nigeria. I was meant to stay for 5 years but due to business reason I had to leave before then. Even though I can say, based on my earnings that I would be classed middle class in the American society; I never got carried away by the unbridled consumerism.

One thing I have known about the US is that it is the place where you will see Capitalism in its worst and best forms. For the masses, the worst form of capitalism is in the blatant encouragement of consumerism with several adverts practically begging people to buy lots of things they do not need. In the process, they get shackled with debt they cannot pay back.

Before we arrived, I made my wife realize this, so we agree that we would make conscious effort to not get caught up in the “rat race” that the American society is for her numerous people.

I made sure my credit card and debit card in addition to my auto finance loans were from my company employees’ credit union which gave me highly favorable conditions. I made sure I bought only a fairly used car since I knew I would ship the car back to Nigeria after my official assignment and definitely would like to have paid the loan off.

The reason why I took up the credit card was to build up a credit history as what I found out was that having a good credit history has its benefits. However, before putting a purchase on the credit card I made sure I had the cash to pay for it and throughout my stay I was never late on my credit card payment.

As mine is a very young family, I was never tempted to go look for a bigger house to rent rather I made sure I stayed in an apartment which though more expensive is not as big as the apartment I lived in while in Nigeria. It was however in a good neighborhood and as such we were able to have a good quality of live.

What I have found out is that  lot of us Nigerians get carried away with the “effizzy” of life in the West that we lose our “heads” hence why most usually find themselves in the hole they are finance wise.

I have left the United States with my family for another African country on transfer without any regret. Without gainsaying, life is far better in the West but call me crazy or something worse, I am one of the people who still believe in the saying “There is no place like home”.

From day one, I know I would be ready to go back to Nigeria as soon as I am required to, so I never got into this I must stay in America by all means mentality. I must confess it was hard for my wife to see things that way though, I think she was carried away by the “our own people dey America “mentality of folks back home, so she wanted to stay back. My new job in Africa even pay better than the one in the US, and if you ask me I do not see why I have to continue to pay into an economy I have no stake in as soon as I am required to leave.

We need to face reality, life stopped being rosy for immigrants to the West after Sep 11 so why can’t we Nigerians try and face our own issues and do whatever we can to salvage our country?  All across Europe and United States the topic of interest is immigration (both legal and illegal) so there is indeed an issue to look at critically here. Leading politicians and business people are going about complaining that immigrants are taking advantage of the welfare systems in these countries and as such need to be checked. Though this is as a result of the recession, what it tells me is that more stringent measures are around the corner for immigrants.

My own little advice for those wanting to come back to Nigeria is this. They should not forget that the way things are done in Nigeria is different from the way they are done in the West so they must leave their[b]” I have lived in the US, London, Germany”[/b] mentality at the airport. To get the best from Nigerians (from your household workers to your colleagues and family member), you have to make sure you are not condescending or snobbish in any way.

I however understand that if Nigeria becomes the next Singapore some people would still prefer to live abroad so I will implore us not to begrudge those people their wishes. In the same vein, those who do not think there is any reason for them to move to Nigeria should not have issues with people moving back home.
Like they say, “Different strokes for different folks”

Y’all should have a great day
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by kulutempa: 1:52pm On Oct 19, 2010
While some of you guys are arguing and knocking down Naija, big institutional investors like Citigroup  have identified Nigeria as one of the top investment destinations in the world!

http://frontiermarkets.thomsonreuters.com/Pages/CitigroupAnalystPicksNigeriaasTopFrontierMarketin2010.aspx

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/markets/global-markets/Nigeria-most-attractive-frontier-market-Mark-Mobius/articleshow/5753065.cms

Nairalanders, you may not believe this but Nigeria right now is like India or Brazil 10-15 years ago.  It may not look like it but the trend is unstoppable simply because investment returns and growth potential in frontier markets like Nigeria are more than in the developed markets of Europe and America, even when you take account of the risk factor. In fact what some see as deep rooted problems in Nigeria such as poor infrastructure are actually tremendous investment opportunities because they represent a huge demand gap.  Some Nigerians in the diaspora have realised this and they are  now going back in full knowledge that their skills and exposure will likely command a premium and give them a competitive advantage back home.   If you add Western capital in the form of foreign direct investment in areas such as power and infrastructure into the mix, you don't need to have a Phd in economics to realise that the same ingredients of capital and know how, that propelled the economies of China and India forward, are beginning to come together in Nigeria.  The bottom line is that some people here will be kicking themselves in 10 years time for not taking advantage of opportunities that abound in Nigeria now but which brave pioneers and entrepreneurs are already taking advantage of.  Eyes are for seeing, ears are for listening.  Peace.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by Hauwa1: 2:53pm On Oct 19, 2010
i am not going anywhere. i'msettled already to my home, i'd love to marry here, have and raise my kids here , if posible move all my siblings here, bring mom and dad, go visit nig to buy some of my fav food eg igbin, tatashe etc.

i just love it where i am.
SemperFi
God bless our troops.

to those going, Godspeed.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by djayxpro: 3:30pm On Oct 19, 2010
The guy dey come naija. Period! He has decided to look beyond problems. Free d guy! When he succeeds, who is going to flex(as in, enjoy) it? The masses. Just grab hold of dat tinge of hope, that speck of positivity. Do ur part! We are al disciples in the transformation process. Abeg! Na Lagos, Abuja or Port Harcourt International Airport im go land? Anywhere and anytime im land, holler at me, i get strategy, Au revoir avec affection pour mon pays, NAIJA!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by IgboGirl(f): 3:38pm On Oct 19, 2010
smanuel:

You People?? How dare you I dont give f, K how long you have lived in the States, or how blue your passport is, how many ways you change your name, how well your accent has evolved, how many american kids you have, you are still Nigerian, denounce it all you want. At the end of the day, "Nigerian-American Immigrant" will precede your name or your parents name, either way, success or failure. Believe me, this is coming from a a person whose doesn't care a hoot about African and Nigeria in particular before I visited.  (You People) that you refer to have a very strong indomitable spirit that you can not begin to imagine. In the face of such hopelessness and plenty, people are still striving and surviving. In case you are wondering, I am half Nigerian and I visit that country 3 times a year and I love it, despite its challenges. Its my believe that (YOU PEOPLE) will make that nation better. Stay in the States, Nigerian-American Igbo Girl!  

How dare me? LMFAO!!! If you don't give a f*#k then what the f*#k was your ranting all about?
Yes! I said "you people" meaning Nigerians living in Nigeria! What is your emotional rant all about? If you want Nigerians living abroad to come home then make Nigeria favorable for them. Fix Nigeria up and welcome them back home properly. Don't ask them to come home where they can't find a job or fight for jobs with those who's been living in Nigeria. If Nigerians in Nigeria can't even change Nigeria for the better while living there for how many years what makes them think those returning home can? Unless you people think Nigerians abroad are better equipped to develop Nigeria than Nigerians in Nigeria?
What is there to come back home to? Come back to kidnappings, bad roads, arm robberies, lack of electricity, lack of good healthcare, constant strikes by university professors and healthcare professionals due to govt refusing to pay them? When Nigeria is fixed and changed for the better trust me Nigerians abroad will not wait to be asked to return home.

You can be mixed with anything, half Nigeria half Chinese or whatever I could care less cos I don't see the relevance! If you visit 3 times a year, what contributions have you made so far? What schools, hospitals, roads etc have you helped to reconstruct? What jobs have you created? Why visit 3 times a year, why not just go and live there?

I can tell you though that while living abroad I have helped to reconstruct a school and sending necessary school supplies. My next project is healthcare and I will be here enjoying all the fabulous opportunities in America while causing a change in Nigeria. I don't need to return home and live in Nigeria to help make Nigeria better. I can do it from here and do it better than those living in Nigeria.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by smanuel: 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2010
IgboGirl:

How dare me? LMFAO!!! If you don't give a f*#k then what the f*#k was your ranting all about?
Yes! I said "you people" meaning Nigerians living in Nigeria! What is your emotional rant all about? If you want Nigerians living abroad to come home then make Nigeria favorable for them. Fix Nigeria up and welcome them back home properly. Don't ask them to come home where they can't find a job or fight for jobs with those who's been living in Nigeria. If Nigerians in Nigeria can't even change Nigeria for the better while living there for how many years what makes them think those returning home can? Unless you people think Nigerians abroad are better equipped to develop Nigeria than Nigerians in Nigeria?
What is there to come back home to? Come back to kidnappings, bad roads, arm robberies, lack of electricity, lack of good healthcare, constant strikes by university professors and healthcare professionals due to govt refusing to pay them? When Nigeria is fixed and changed for the better trust me Nigerians abroad will not wait to be asked to return home.

You can be mixed with anything, half Nigeria half Chinese or whatever I could care less cos I don't see the relevance! If you visit 3 times a year, what contributions have you made so far? What schools, hospitals, roads etc have you helped to reconstruct? What jobs have you created? Why visit 3 times a year, why not just go and live there?

I can tell you though that while living abroad I have helped to reconstruct a school and sending necessary school supplies. My next project is healthcare and I will be here enjoying all the fabulous opportunities in America while causing a change in Nigeria. I don't need to return home and live in Nigeria to help make Nigeria better. I can do it from here and do it better than those living in Nigeria.

B.S
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by morpheus24: 5:12pm On Oct 19, 2010
I have been reading through all the posts on this thread and they are very informative despite the usually people who like to derail the real subject matter at hand. My suggestions based on my personal experience is

1. Strategize_[/b]Nigeria has many challenges and uncertainties you will face when you return home. _ to mitigate this, you need to do your homework very well when returning in terms of what these challenges you will be facing. It really depends on your emotional and intellectual ability to manage your surroundings.

2. [b]Adjust to your surroundings[/b]_if you are returning to start up a new venture be aware of  the 'attitude' nigerians have in terms of how they will percieve you when you return. You will be a target because you have not adjusted to the way things are done. Unlearn, re- learn or incorporate wh

3. [b]Solve problems instead of dwellling on them[/b]_You need to focus and stay away from people who only know how to complain and state problems without coming up with any solutions to these issues.

4.[b] Set timetables and a progression chart
_You will need to establish a timetable for how far you are progressing on your stated goals

5.[b] Establish an exit strategy[/b]_If you come to the conclusion that things are not working out as planned and you have used up al other alternatives then it is best to abandon and exit the market.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by IgboGirl(f): 5:24pm On Oct 19, 2010
smanuel:

B.S

That's all you could come up with? You had so much to say before but now questions have been directed at you you call it BS? LOOL You amuse me!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by smanuel: 6:38pm On Oct 19, 2010
IgboGirl:

That's all you could come up with? You had so much to say before but now questions have been directed at you you call it BS? LOOL You amuse me!

@Igbogirl There is a flaw in intelligence. Most intelligent people dont know when to stop, and thats because they are usually right even when they are wrong and in NL you see them a lot. I do not have time to waste on back and forth. Sorry dear.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by ladej(m): 6:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
Rhea:

[size=20pt]ARGUMENT UPON ARGUMENT[/size] grin
you can say that again. whilst some are arguing others are actually working
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 6:52pm On Oct 19, 2010
Oh hell no,I visit but I am not living in that wreck of a country,Nigeria? Oh no,where when you point out to people the right way to do things and they think you are snobbish,pls, I am comfortable here,as my own boss, I can vacation in Naija when I want.Those few going back cannot survive in the US,they will roast like hens when they hit Lagos grin grin grin.Losers.

Americans see green not color,many Africans live well here,even better than the native blacks,those who use their naija sense will not get caught up in the debt cycle.Nigeria cannot change from the ground up, it has to start from the leaders downward.They will all get swallowed up by the corrupt system.Good luck.

Dont hate because you can succeed in the land of opportunity,your mates are doing it,you are just sorry excuses.

Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by smanuel: 7:00pm On Oct 19, 2010
kabukabu50:

Oh hell no,I visit but I am not living in that wreck of a country,Nigeria? Oh no,where when you point out to people the right way to do things and they think you are snobbish,pls, I am comfortable here,as my own boss, I can vacation in Naija when I want.Those few going back cannot survive in the US,they will roast like hens when they hit Lagos grin grin grin.Losers.

Americans see green not color,many Africans live well here,even better than the native blacks,those who use their naija sense will not get caught up in the debt cycle.Nigeria cannot change from the ground up, it has to start from the leaders downward.They will all get swallowed up by the corrupt system.Good luck.

Dont hate because you can succeed in the land of opportunity,your mates are doing it,you are just sorry excuses.

Did somebody see the RENT in the car? or is it just me. Who is the loser now, loser. Dont worry I will come visit in FDC or county if your lucky, when it happens. Mr. I am my own boss!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by IgboGirl(f): 7:38pm On Oct 19, 2010
smanuel:

@Igbogirl There is a flaw in intelligence. Most intelligent people dont know when to stop, and thats because they are usually right even when they are wrong and in NL you see them a lot. I do not have time to waste on back and forth. Sorry dear.

How convinient!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by morpheus24: 9:41pm On Oct 19, 2010
smanuel:

Did somebody see the RENT in the car? or is it just me. Who is the loser now, loser. Dont worry I will come visit in FDC or county if your lucky, when it happens. Mr. I am my own boss!

You don catch am bros, The guy go stand infron of motto wey no be im own.HAHAHAHAHA!!!(AMERICAN DREAM!!!). keep dreamin kabukabu50
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by LouisThoru(f): 9:49pm On Oct 19, 2010
hackney:

I'd rather be racially discriminated  by someone that looks different than be slaughtered by
someone that looks like me.

Fortunately, in the west if you show proficiency in any skill, the racial lines seem to fade.
(also if you are a success in general; actually then they even want to marry you).

However in nigeria if you like have 1st class in alien future technology, the employer will just
employ his illiterate nephew in th job and off to the village you pop.

Maybe in 2000 yrs time nigeria in general will have acquired the right mindset.
By then a generation of people who all know what the fuxck other nations are doing would have emerged.

Monkeys

Only baboons think this way.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by mrofficial(m): 10:24pm On Oct 19, 2010
LouisThoru:

Don't be surprised. He's one.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by cap28: 11:11pm On Oct 19, 2010
Hackney said:
I'd rather be racially discriminated  by someone that looks different than be slaughtered by
someone that looks like me.

Fortunately, in the west if you show proficiency in any skill, the racial lines seem to fade.
(also if you are a success in general; actually then they even want to marry you).

However in nigeria if you like have 1st class in alien future technology, the employer will just
employ his illiterate nephew in th job and off to the village you pop.

Maybe in 2000 yrs time nigeria in general will have acquired the right mindset.
By then a generation of people who all know what the fuxck other nations are doing would have emerged.

Monkeys

Hackney you are an embarrassment to the black race, i wish you could be a fly on the wall and hear what white people REALLY think about black people. 

If there is anyone who is a monkey its you, you are a self hating monkey, why dont you hang out in Essex on a friday night and attempt to speak to a white girl and see what those white boys will do to your sorry a.s.s, s.tupid failure.

You sit in grim dilapidated hackney chatting s.hit about people who have had the courage to go home and make a change and you think because you are growing fat on mcdonalds and kfc you've achieved something, let me tell you something if not for the rule of law black people in britain would be toast, beleive me now that the recession is kicking in and more whites are loosing their jobs things will begin to change for blacks in this country, so you better wake up from your fantasy world.[quote][/quote]
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by sage(m): 11:42pm On Oct 19, 2010
cap28:

Hackney you are an embarrassment to the black race, i wish you could be a fly on the wall and hear what white people REALLY think about black people. 

If there is anyone who is a monkey its you, you are a self hating monkey, why dont you hang out in Essex on a friday night and attempt to speak to a white girl and see what those white boys will do to your sorry a.s.s, s.tupid failure.

You sit in grim dilapidated hackney chatting s.hit about people who have had the courage to go home and make a change and you think because you are growing fat on mcdonalds and kfc you've achieved something, let me tell you something if not for the rule of law black people in britain would be toast, beleive me now that the recession is kicking in and more whites are loosing their jobs things will begin to change for blacks in this country, so you better wake up from your fantasy world.

silly piece of poo guy still whigning like a naughty woman.

You are not the same "race" as anybody on here

your "race is that of perpertuatly silly cry-baby bitches

what a naughty woman this guy

is
stop trying to tie anybody to your misrey
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by kabukabu50(m): 11:53pm On Oct 19, 2010
LouisThoru:

A visa reject telling others how to live their lives grin grin grin, hurry up and recharge now,they might cut off your phone in a bit.

Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by sage(m): 11:56pm On Oct 19, 2010
this stupid idiotic okoko should stop coming on here to connect anybody to himself. Nobody here is connected to you

Go back to Nigeria, bitches like you are not welcome anywhere

maybe if a rampaging guy picks up a matchete and hacks you to pieces in an ethnic riot in Nigeria you would quit bitching

i hate bitches

pls dont even bother replying to this. I dontr want to ever hear from bitches like you in my lifetime

and pls stop telling anybody he is a disgrace to your "race"

nobody on Nairaland is your "race"

your race is a group of imbeciles stuck on stupidity
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by cap28: 1:06am On Oct 20, 2010
sage:

silly piece of poo guy still whigning like a naughty woman.

You are not the same "race" as anybody on here

your "race is that of perpertuatly silly cry-baby bitches

what a naughty woman this guy

is
stop trying to tie anybody to your misrey
Yawn!!!! are you still hurting after the last bit.ch slap i gave you on here?

why do you keep stalking me, i dont like engaging in arguments with people with learning difficulties, why are you so hell bent on being disgraced by me time and time again.

okay i will say this very slowly lurch, so that you might just understand me this time - crawl back into your cubicle in the natural history museum where you and the rest of your neanderthal family are on display AND STOP STALKING ME.

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by coshman: 1:47am On Oct 20, 2010
I must say I am one of the few people who have seen it all both in Europe and in Nigeria and conclude that I still prefer to be resident in Nigeria even after years of sojourn abroad.

I manage to read all the post before my reply anyway and conclude that while majority see Europe or even the Americas as heaven, a handful see Nigeria especially as heaven as well. Opinions differ and I believe as a wise people on NL, you do not have to force your opinion on others. The man in question has decided to leave the US after 22 years. What one earth makes some of you think that he is leaving because he is jobless? Common, let us be realistic here. There must be something more than lack of job taking this man out of the US. I must add that he has managed to allay the fear of both Nigeria and for himself by fellow Nigerians especially those in the Diaspora before leaving the States. At his age, if he tells you he is leaving to contribute his quota to Nigeria, believe him. After all, he is not begging any of us to lend him money for his flight ticket.

For those Nigerians abroad at the moment especially those full of praise for their respective host countries, it is not all you read about Nigeria that is true. Just a few days ago(Saturday to be precise) I about someone who also left Europe (UK to be precise) for Nigeria and he is making it big time in the hospitality industry in spite of the many challenges people enumerate here about the country – Nigeria. It is different strokes for different folks.

I completed my degrees (first to third) in the UK and have lectured in some universities across Europe but on a tour of Nigeria few years ago, I was contacted by one of the owners of a private University in Nigeria to teach a module in Engineering for a fee. I opt to take the same module for free and only when I am on vacation, but I later realised the school calendar does not fit into my schedule. The bottom line is that I decided to give the offer a trial for free while I was in Nigeria. I was equipped with my lecture notes and just had chats with the students and went away. I discover from the question I was asked same day by those students that there are so many things missing or the students are yet to know and the passion to return to pour out my mind on the same course was burning deep in me by the day. I realised I was teaching those that already know most of what I was teaching in Europe as such I do not have much challenge out there, but I needed a new challenge. I had to leave Europe for Nigeria a year after that visit to take up the position on a full time basis. I must say that I am not after the money but the passion to educate men and women who are full of life but with less exposure. This I can say is my own way of contributing to the educational sector in Nigeria. It must not all be about politics before one can lend a hand. In the few months that I have started to teach these students, I saw changes and that gladdens my heart daily. I can confidently say here that I do NOT for once miss Europe. I settled in fine and the power problem people complain about does not move me because I know this is a phase in the life of the development of this country. If you want to remain in Europe or the US then fine, but do not ever say it is better off where you are. It is like a 2 sided coin, it depends on what or how you see it. Sooner or later most of you will be tired of you places of abode if not now then in some years to come. I have said and written worst things about Nigeria before now. Finally, I am being paid handsomely here and I have all I need at least for now.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by ruguojiegu: 3:37am On Oct 20, 2010
Talented "passive" RuneScape Gold regen Now, I'm not talking passive as in the 40 MP5 you have on that trinket or even the 50 percent continued regeneration you get from Meditation. What I'm referring to isn't actually passive regen at all; it's the WOW Gold regen you get from certain talents which activate based on what spells you cast. For disc priests, it's the talent Rapture; for holy, it's Holy Concentration. I say they're passive because whether you try to or not, you'll probably benefit from Buy WOW Gold by healing any old way. (You'd have to consciously try not to use them, honestly.) Anyway, even though the regen from this talent will be there no matter what you do, if you understand them and in turn, utilize them more intelligently, you'll see better RS Gold . shocked
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by buzugee(m): 3:47am On Oct 20, 2010
the problem with a lot of you guys is very numerous

1, your aspirations are so low hence you do not think outside the box. you just want to get plugged in to an established set-up and then function within the confines of that set-up. so long as you have enough to eat. does not matter whether your humanity is valued or not. tis all about the stomach with you all. a wise man once said, ill rather die on my feet than live on my knee. thats the mindset of a lot of you guys. you will rather live on your knee than die on your feet. this same nigeria you guys hate so much, i know tonnes of nigerians (tonnes) who do not have any kind of connections but are making it solidly. if any of you is on facebook i will show you nigerians living the good life in nigeria. nigerians who travel to london every month. nigeria is not bad, its the people in it who are un-productive. this is a nation of 150 million people. go abroad and pick up a useable skill. the problem with a lot of you also is that you do silly courses and then wonder why you are unemployed. nigeria is a blue-collar country. nigeria is not the financial capital of the world. not even a lil bit. tis not a financial hub. pick up a skill like motorcycle repair, shoe-making, etc etc. someone who picks up a skill like this abroad will be proficient enough to fix like 10 bikes a day in naija. lets say you charge like 10 grand each depending on the damage. this is 100,000 naira a day (tax free). if you are a hardworker and you work everyday (from your backyard), that is 36,500,000 naira in a year. in 10 years you have 365 million naira. this is 3.65 million dollars. there are no trade regulations in nigeria to stop you from profiting like crazy. i know a woman who owns a store catering to weddings. she makes millions of dollars a year. a woman owns her own store for sewing clothes (she was on CNN) ( she makes like 10 million dollars a year). she makes a boatload of money. etc etc. all these people live in lekki and drive range rovers. they are not connected to big men who gave them jobs. just ordinary people. my point being that, believe it or not, you can have a better life in nigeria than in america or britain if you applied yourself (and you dont need any connections either ). i have lived in america and britain and quite frankly ? i fail to see the utopia in these places that a lot of you shout about so this brings me to the conclusion that alot of you have that poverty mentality where you grew up poor in naija and now anything is better than what you experienced . does not matter how empty your life is abroad but so long as you can buy orange juice and chocolate from jewel, life is greattttttttttt. community cohesiveness is zero. this is destroying to the soul, especially if you have lived in naija before.

2, it is ok to be a parasite but please be incognito about it. someone built their country up and you run there to benefit from their sweat. nothing wrong with it but  their is nothing more preposterous than a parasite who sings the praises of his host.
Re: Goodbye America, Welcome Nigeria by Kobojunkie: 4:20am On Oct 20, 2010
morpheus24:

I have been reading through all the posts on this thread and they are very informative despite the usually people who like to derail the real subject matter at hand. My suggestions based on my personal experience is

1. Strategize_[/b]Nigeria has many challenges and uncertainties you will face when you return home. _ to mitigate this, you need to do your homework very well when returning in terms of what these challenges you will be facing. It really depends on your emotional and intellectual ability to manage your surroundings.

2. [b]Adjust to your surroundings[/b]_if you are returning to start up a new venture be aware of  the 'attitude' nigerians have in terms of how they will percieve you when you return. You will be a target because you have not adjusted to the way things are done. Unlearn, re- learn or incorporate wh

3. [b]Solve problems instead of dwellling on them[/b]_You need to focus and stay away from people who only know how to complain and state problems without coming up with any solutions to these issues.

4.[b] Set timetables and a progression chart
_You will need to establish a timetable for how far you are progressing on your stated goals

5.[b] Establish an exit strategy[/b]_If you come to the conclusion that things are not working out as planned and you have used up al other alternatives then it is best to abandon and exit the market.

Very good advice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Ayo Oke Appointed As DG of National Intelligence Agency / PDP Challenges Opposition To Present Both Buhari And Atiku Against Jonathan. / Ambode Reopens Mile 12 Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.