Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,035 members, 7,863,704 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 12:40 AM

Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! (1052 Views)

How We Rigged Fayose Into Office – Ekiti PDP Secretary / PDP Jittery Over Six Arrested INEC Staff In Abia / Apc Jittery Over The Achievement Of The Army And Government - Aljazeera (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by wales(m): 6:23am On Oct 18, 2010
There were indications on Sunday that the Peoples Democratic Party in the South-West had gone into panic mode over the declaration of the Action Congress of Nigeria candidate, Dr. Kayode Fayemi, as the governor of Ekiti State.

Investigations by THE PUNCH on Sunday showed that the PDP feared that if the crises in its Ogun, Oyo and Osun state chapters persisted, its might lose more governorship positions in the zone.

It was gathered that to avert losses in the 2011 governorship poll, the PDP leadeship had mandated its members in the zone to ensure that all factional crises were resolved, so that its aggrieved members would not defect to opposition parties.

In the 2007 governorship elections, the PDP won five states in the South-West —Ogun, Oyo, Ondo, Ekiti and Osun. It has, however, lost two—Ekiti and Ondo States following judgments of the Court of Appeal on petitions filed by the ACN and the Labour Party.

Investigations further revealed that the first in the series of meetings aimed at resolving the crises , which mostly arose from disagreements over the choice of PDP governorship candidates, took place in Osogbo, the Osun State on Sunday.

The meeting was attended by all the governorship candidates of the party in the state, except Mr. Femi Fani-Kayode.

Sources told one of correspondents that the meeting which began at 1pm and ended at 5.30pm on Sunday was inconclusive. It was consequently adjourned to October 31.

Our correspondents learnt that although the PDP had been making moves to reconcile the warring factions in Osun State, Sunday’s meeting was urgently convened, after the Court of Appeal ruled that Mr. Segun Oni of the PDP was not the validly elected governor of Ekiti State.

“The Osun’s case is considered the most precarious because efforts to resolve the crisis over the governorship ticket of the party did not bear fruits as opposing camps refused to yield ground. With the development in Ekiti, it is feared that aggrieved members may defect to the Action Congress of Nigeria,” said a PDP chieftain, who pleaded anonymity.

He added that some of the governorship aspirants in the state had alleged that the prominent members of the party had concluded plans to adopt the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Appropriation, Chief Iyiola Omisore, as the governorship candidate of the party in the state.

It was gathered that during the Sunday meeting at the private residence of Governor Olagunsoye Oyinlola in Osogbo, other aspirants said that the party’s leadership had not provided a level playing ground for them.

Investigations also showed that the aspirants warned that a lack of internal democracy would have negative consequences on the party in the 2011 elections

“Leaders of the party are worried that in 2007, when the party was united, the ACN won seats in the state House of Assembly. Now that the party is enmeshed in a crisis, you can imagine what will happen,” the party chieftain said.

When contacted on the telephone, the Chief Press Secretary to Oyinlola, Mr. Kayode Oladeji, said that the Osun PDP was not jittery over the 2011 elections and the petition filed by the ACN governorship candidate in the 2007 governorship election, Mr. Rauf Aregbesola.

THE PUNCH also gathered that the party was concerned about the crisis in Ogun State where some aspirants, whose chances of winning the PDP’s tickets were slim, had started approaching the ACN.

The state PDP is divided into two factions with one headed by the Minister of Commerce, Jibril Martins-Kuye and the other led by Governor Gbenga Daniel.

While Daniel’s group prefers the former chairman of Gateway Holdings, Alhaji Gboyega Isiaka as the party’s governorship candidate, the other group is rooting for the former military administrator of Ekiti State, Gen. Adetunji Olurin (retd.).

THE PUNCH gathered that both factions would meet this week to find ways to resolve their differences.

Commenting on the crisis, the Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Mr. Tunji Egbetokun, warned that the disgreements could affect the party’s chances in next year’s elections.

Egbetokun said “With the kind of politics we are playing today, freedom of movement to political parties is not so rigid. So you cannot be sure that people will not move out of a party once there is no internal democracy and once their interest is not fairly and justly protected.

“As for me and my members of my group, we believe the PDP still remain the part to beat in Ogun State and we are not contemplating leaving the party. But we would like to call on the National Executive of the PDP to wade in by ensuring that the state’s executives are harmonised in the interest of the party in the state.”

But the Director of Publicity for PDP in the state, Mr. Deji Kaleaiye, told one of our correspondents that the party was one.

He described the crisis in the state as “part of the elements of democracy.”

Investigation by our correspondent in Ibadan, Oyo State, showed that some members of a faction of the PDP opposed to Governor Adebayo Alao-Akala were considering contesting the 2011 general elections on the platform of other political parties in case the Chief Dejo Afolabi-led executive did not give them its tickets.

Two of such parties, reliably gathered, are the ACN and the Congress for Progressive Change.

A source in the ACN said in confidence on Sunday that a former governor of the state had, at a time, discussed the possibility of contesting the next governorship election on the ACN platform.

She also claimed that some National Assembly members from the state as well some of the members of the state House of Assembly currently at loggerheads with the leadership of the House have also reached out to the ACN.

A former governor of the state, Senator Rashidi Ladoja, had at a lecture by his associates to commemorate his birthday recently vowed to contest the forthcoming governorship election “with or without the PDP.”

The ACN National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, confirmed that some PDP members have been approaching the party for its tickets to contest the 2011 poll.

“They have not been coming as a group. They have been coming individually, ” Mohammed said.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20101018475251
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by wales(m): 6:24am On Oct 18, 2010
PDP, the days of rigging elections are over. In the coming elections, you will have to earn the vote of the people if you deserve it. So let the people decide, we pray for fair and free elections at all levels, amen in JESUS NAME
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 10:04am On Oct 18, 2010
Good. PDP cannot win fair elections in Yorubaland. And the sooner the PDP is kicked out of the southwest, the better the country will be.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Nobody: 10:10am On Oct 18, 2010
We will be better without the PDP. I doubt if the PDP can withstand the avalanche of political consciousness sweeping through the S'West. I hail the S'west
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 10:28am On Oct 18, 2010
jabbok:

We will be better without the PDP. I doubt if the PDP can withstand the avalanche of political consciousness sweeping through the S'West. I hail the S'west

Indeed . I made the same statement to fans of Jonathan on this forum when I explained to them why their messiah will not win in the SW region if elections are free and fair. The SW region is one of the most politically sophisticated in Nigeria . You cannot expect the men and women of the region to vote for a PDP President when the party has brought unbearable hardship, poverty and underdevelopment. Meanwhile , the only ACN Governor in the region (Fashola) is the best performer in the entire Nigeria !!! Oshiomhole is doing well also !!! It is a no brainer. Minus rigging, any decent ACN Presidential candidate will sweep the votes of the SW region because many now believe that the ACN is the Party of achiever while the PDP is a congregation of criminal vampires . PDP will also lose more States in the SW region if elections are free and fair .
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 10:49am On Oct 18, 2010
Gbawe:

Indeed . I made the same statement to fans of Jonathan on this forum when I explained to them why their messiah will not win in the SW region if elections are free and fair. The SW region is one of the most politically sophisticated in Nigeria . You cannot expect the men and women of the region to vote for a PDP President when the party has brought unbearable hardship, poverty and underdevelopment. Meanwhile , the only ACN Governor in the region (Fashola) is the best performer in the entire Nigeria !!! Oshiomhole is doing well also !!! It is a no brainer. Minus rigging, any decent ACN Presidential candidate will sweep the votes of the SW region because many now believe that the ACN is the Party of achiever while the PDP is a congregation of criminal vampires . PDP will also lose more States in the SW region if elections are free and fair .

It is really weird. I like Goodluck Jonathan over the alternatives. But I absolutely, positively hate the PDP and want to see it broken. The PDP is the biggest impediment to progress in Yorubaland, in my opinion. Yet for some reason, I like Goodluck. I guess in my mind I think that since he comes from a minority group, he cannot rock the boat too much. If it were a Hausaman or Fulani, I could never support him.

What is the common Yoruba sentiment on Jonathan? Am I out of touch here, thinking he is harmless and liking him?
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 11:39am On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

It is really weird. I like Goodluck Jonathan over the alternatives. But I absolutely, positively hate the PDP and want to see it broken. The PDP is the biggest impediment to progress in Yorubaland, in my opinion. Yet for some reason, I like Goodluck. I guess in my mind I think that since he comes from a minority group, he cannot rock the boat too much. If it were a Hausaman or Fulani, I could never support him.

What is the common Yoruba sentiment on Jonathan? Am I out of touch here, thinking he is harmless and liking him?

Yes you are . Jonathan is far from "harmless". In fact , I consider him the most dangerous choice Nigerians can make . he is a total prevaricator who plays politics when he must lead. Pacifying criminals and recruiting the help of those who have ruined Nigeria is what Jonathan does best . Do you know that in Ogun State 9 lawmakers (doing the will of Gbenga Daniel) set a disgraceful and dangerous precedence for Nigeria by cowering 15 lawmakers to impeach the Speaker of the house who stood against the blatantly criminal 100 billion bond Gbenga Daniel wanted to float ? After the impeachment the 100 billion Naira bond was approved in less than 30 minutes by the new speaker shocked shocked shocked Pure gangster politics that totally disgraces Nigeria as a Banana republic !!!!!

Should Jonathan not have acted decisively to put these gangsters in their place[b] before others think they can act similarly without repercussion?[/b] Is it not the notion that strong punishment never follows political criminality that has led us to where we are today? To make matters worse , in the middle of that crisis Gbenga Daniel is insensitively announced as the campaign coordinator of Jonathan in the SW region !!!!! What an affront to the people of Ogun State !!!!! It is the same in Oyo and Osun State. Oyinlola and Alao Akala now feel they can do what they wan't as they are 'untouchables" as per their support for GEJ.

GEJ is bad news for the SW region and the people of the region themselves know this . Jonathan is just enjoying some sentimental support as the 'underdog' being challenged by the "callous, born to rule" North. If we do away with emotions and ethnic sentiments it becomes obvious that there are candidates who are far better than Jonathan even if they are from the North. We should vote without sentiments by looking at the actions and conducts , past and present, of the respective candidates instead of focusing alone on the notion that Jonathan must win so that the North does not gain power. Thinking like that is dangerous for our nation.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 11:51am On Oct 18, 2010
^-- Thanks for the insight.

Still, I can never support a Northerner for presidency. I want the Northern control of this country broken. Ideally I want Nigeria to be broken up and Yorubaland set free. If I cannot have this, I want a strongly federal government, with as much power devolved to states as possible. No northerner can ever support these goals, for fairly obvious reasons.

Also, is it so bad to have a relatively weak president like Goodluck, a guy separated from the Northern powerbase? The weaker the federal gov't is vis-a-vis the states, the better, imo.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Oct 18, 2010
Pdp smuggled itself into the south west but sooner or later,they would be swept out with BROOM.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by seunmsg(m): 12:23pm On Oct 18, 2010
Good bye to PDP in the south west.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 12:37pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

^-- Thanks for the insight.

Still, I can never support a Northerner for presidency. I want the Northern control of this country broken. Ideally I want Nigeria to be broken up and Yorubaland set free. If I cannot have this, I want a strongly federal government, with as much power devolved to states as possible. No northerner can ever support these goals, for fairly obvious reasons.

Also, is it so bad to have a relatively weak president like Goodluck, a guy separated from the Northern powerbase? The weaker the federal gov't is vis-a-vis the states, the better, imo.

This will not happen under Jonathan same as it did not happen under OBJ. Jonathan has the support of far too many folks who benefit from how Nigeria currently is for him to ever be an agent of progressive change. The same can be said , to varying extents, for OBJ and Yar Adua's leadership of Nigeria. In general it will be hard to move Nigeria forward if you have to act against the interest of your benefactors who happen to be the folks who benefit from nigeria remaining as it is.  My brother , let us be honest with ourselves. OBJ , as far as I know , is not a Northerner yet he never moved us closer to what you and many of us desire in 8 years as a democratic President in testimony to the fact that insincere leadership is not the preserve of the North alone !!!! OBJ actually spent money fooling us with an insincere SNC (soveriegn National conference) where Nigerian could "talk about what ails them" including more autonomy for regions. All the time his intention , according to many, was to use the SNC to seek legal approval for his third term bid !!! What I am saying , in essence , is that we need a sincere President. Soyinka has withdrawn as a negotiator in the ND post-amnesty talks because he is disturbed by a lack of sincerity from those involved . We don't need to be rocket scientists to know he means the Government of Jonathan is insincere .

All in all , I believe Northerners exist who will move Nigeria closer to where she needs to go far better than Jonathan can. It is even obvious right now !!! Who are the prominent Nigerians who support Ribadu and Buhari ? Who do we then see behind Jonathan ? That should speaks volumes to you. If all the progressive Nigerians , who want precisely what you wan't and have fought for it , can support the likes of Ribadu does that not show that they believe that a Northerner can move us forward better than GEJ?
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 12:51pm On Oct 18, 2010
Gbawe:

This will not happen under Jonathan . He has the support of far too many folks who benefit from how Nigeria currently is for him to ever be an agent of progressive change. My brother , let us be honest with ourselves. OBJ , as far as I know , is not a Northerner yet he never moved us closer to what you and many of us desire in 8 years as a democratic President!!!! Instead he spent tonnes of money fooling us with an insincere SNC (soveriegn National conference) where Nigerian could "talk about what ails them" including more autonomy for regions. All the time his intention , according to many, was to use the SNC to seek legal approval for his third term bid !!! What I am saying , in essence , is that we need a sincere President. Soyinka has withdrawn as a negotiator in the ND post-amnesty talks because he is disturbed by a lack of sincerity from those involved . We don't need to be rocket scientists to know he means the Government of Jonathan is insincere .

All in all , I believe Northerners exist who will move Nigeria closer to where she needs to go far better than Jonathan can. It is even obvious right now !!! Who are the prominent Nigerians who support Ribadu and Buhari ? Who do we then see behind Jonathan ? That should speaks volumes to you. If all the progressive Nigerians , who want precisely what you wan't and have fought for it , can support the likes of Ribadu does that not show that they believe that a Northerner can move us forward better than GEJ?

Why on earth do you believe any northerner wants this? If I'm a Northerner, I'd want as strongly central a gov't as possible. Look, let's keep it real here, their part of the country is poor as hell. They don't want federalism, and they don't want progress. Progress means strength for Yorubaland to break its current bondage and separate by force. What incentive does a Hausa or Fulani man have for democracy and federalism? Again, if I were Hausa or Fulani, I would be against those things. They can only hurt the North. If I'm a Northerner, I'd want to leech the resources of the delta until that runs dry, and use those resources to enrich my own people, build up a "Nigerian army" (that is primarily Hausa), etc.

Nuhu Ribadu talks a good game. But I highly doubt he is going to support policies that will weaken the strength of his home region. At the very least I know that Goodluck comes from a small ethnic group and does not have a significant power base.

Buhari!? That man seeks nothing good for us. Ribadu I might be convinced; there is a 10% chance I could be grudgingly convinced to accept him. But Buhari? He is loyal only to his people and has no love for mine. I can never support an old-school military Fulani like him. Not a chance.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 12:55pm On Oct 18, 2010
Don't get me wrong BTW. I strongly dislike OBJ (though my father likes him.) I don't trust any politician, to be honest. But I at least want politicians who will not make things worse, and put their Northern cronies more strongly in power. At the very least, I need a guy whose interests align with mine. A southerner voting for a northerner is like a a pack of wolves voting a bear as their leader. The wolf and the bear are natural enemies, their interests do not align in any way, shape or form. I can make common cause with the Igbo, Middle-belt, Edo, etc, but never with the Northerners.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 1:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

Why on earth do you believe any northerner wants this? If I'm a Northerner, I'd want as strongly central a gov't as possible. Look, let's keep it real here, their part of the country is poor as hell. They don't want federalism, and they don't want progress. Progress means strength for Yorubaland to break its current bondage and separate by force. What incentive does a Hausa or Fulani man have for democracy and federalism? Again, if I were Hausa or Fulani, I would be against those things. They can only hurt the North. If I'm a Northerner, I'd want to leech the resources of the delta until that runs dry, and use those resources to enrich my own people, build up a "Nigerian army" (that is primarily Hausa), etc.

Nuhu Ribadu talks a good game. But I highly doubt he is going to support policies that will weaken the strength of his home region. At the very least I know that Goodluck comes from a small ethnic group and does not have a significant power base.

Buhari!? That man seeks nothing good for us. Ribadu I might be convinced; there is a 10% chance I could be grudgingly convinced to accept him. But Buhari? He is loyal only to his people and has no love for mine. I can never support an old-school military Fulani like him. Not a chance.

I must say that I find your honesty refreshing . Too many lie here in their blind support for certain candidates . At least you do not lie about GEJ's "superhuman" abilities when all Nigerians see is a politician who is more of the same . I am glad you may still consider Ribadu. If he gets the ACN ticket you might actually be pleasantly surprised by the number of undoubted progressives , from all regions of Nigeria , who support him. It is not coincidence that one man enjoys the support of the undisputed good guys while those who have destroyed Nigeria are behind Jonathan and IBB.

Your sentiments about the North is understandable but you must understand that the region is changing. The region is now witnessing the emergence of a young class of detribalised leaders who are fed up of being regarded as a parasitic leech on Nigeria's flesh. We should recognise the emergence of these men and women and support their effort so that the North too may change for the better. EL-Rufai and Ribadu actually come to mind as two Northerners who have spoken consistently against the entrenched retrogressive system in the North. I would expect either of the two to understand that the North must begin to act differently if it is to make progress. There are Northerners who understand that "tough love" is what the region needs most . More autonomy for all regions means that the North will have no choice but to shun intellectual indolence and an over-dependence on federal allocation if it is to make progress.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by otokx(m): 2:41pm On Oct 18, 2010
The WEST is being liberated.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 2:51pm On Oct 18, 2010
Gbawe:

I must say that I find your honesty refreshing . Too many lie here in their blind support for certain candidates . At least you do not lie about GEJ's "superhuman" abilities when all Nigerians see is a politician who is more of the same . I am glad you may still consider Ribadu. If he gets the ACN ticket you might actually be pleasantly surprised by the number of undoubted progressives , from all regions of Nigeria , who support him. It is not coincidence that one man enjoys the support of the undisputed good guys while those who have destroyed Nigeria are behind Jonathan and IBB.

Your sentiments about the North is understandable but you must understand that the region is changing. The region is now witnessing the emergence of a young class of detribalised leaders who are fed up of being regarded as a parasitic leech on Nigeria's flesh. We should recognise the emergence of these men and women and support their effort so that the North too may change for the better. EL-Rufai and Ribadu actually come to mind as two Northerners who have spoken consistently against the entrenched retrogressive system in the North. I would expect either of the two to understand that the North must begin to act differently if it is to make progress. There are Northerners who understand that "tough love" is what the region needs most . More autonomy for all regions means that the North will have no choice but to shun intellectual indolence and an over-dependence on federal allocation if it is to make progress.

There is nothing wrong with being tribalised. I don't understand why this is such a pejorative amongst Nigerians. It isn't as if Nigeria has been a country for 1000s of years or something. It was 20 or 30 different nations smushed together by the British. I am a Yoruba tribalist, and seek what is best for my people, yet somehow this is supposed to be bad. Yet when an IRA terrorist blows up a building somewhere in the UK in support of the Irish people, somehow he is looked as a hero, Irish-Americans in New England celebrate, etc. How come nobody is calling out these Irish, French, Polish, etc guys as tribalists? Why is it only Black Africans who get labeled tribalist? There is absolutely nothing wrong with loving your own people.

I have no beef with a guy who loves his people, Hausa, Fulani, Igbo, whatever, it is entirely natural. But if the interests of your own people do not align with mine, I cannot support you.

These Northern progressives talk a good game. But as I've said earlier, talk is cheap. Let them go contest for governorship in their own lands and reform those places first. If they are able to do that successfully, then I might consider supporting them nationally. But to be honest, I do not trust Northerners at all. Talk is very cheap. And once they get in power, their perspectives might change.

I'm not inclined to trust another person's talk. Only thing I'll trust is that their incentives align with mine. GEJ, if he rocks the boat too much he is toast. So we know if he gets in power, he cannot screw things up too badly. Buhari? If you vote for him and he gets into power, your descendants will curse your name 1000 years from now.

Trusting northerners to lead you is like carrying a scorpion on your back. The question is not if it will strike, but only a question of when.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Nobody: 3:25pm On Oct 18, 2010
Dapobear you are so right anyother day buhari would have been a great candidate but even from his campaign strategy you can see he still thinks oldschool i cannot see him carrying the southern part and the christian minorities along in his kingdom he comes across as being too tribalised.I believe he can only take us backwards.
as too nuhu ribadu talk is cheap,its not only about catching the bad guys we also need a visionary as well as transformational leader.when he gets into power as you said his perspective might change.we cannot afford that.

Right now despite the fact that GEJ is not going to meet any high expectations if he wins he is still the best man.
For the states to grow a more liberalised centre is needed besides we need to change the face of politics in Nigeria it does not always have to be either a yoruba or hausa or igbo man doing his thing let a minority from the oil producing region come to power lets see what he can do for his region.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 3:39pm On Oct 18, 2010
andromida:

Dapobear you are so right anyother day buhari would have been a great candidate but even from his campaign strategy you can see he still thinks oldschool i cannot see him carrying the southern part and the christian minorities along in his kingdom he comes across as being too tribalised.I believe he can only take us backwards.
as too nuhu ribadu talk is cheap,its not only about catching the bad guys we also need a visionary as well as transformational leader.when he gets into power as you said his perspective might change.we cannot afford that.

Right now despite the fact that GEJ is not going to meet any high expectations if he wins he is still the best man.[/b]For the states to grow a more liberalised centre is needed besides we need to change the face of politics in Nigeria it does not always have to be either a yoruba or hausa or igbo man doing his thing let a minority from the oil producing region come to power lets see what he can do for his region.

He is not. We simply need to start looking at issues from the perspective of [b]what Nigeria needs the most at this point in time
!!! Nigeria is going nowhere until corruption is tamed . Nothing works in Nigeria because of corruption. Corruption derailed the NIPP scheme . Instead of the nation gaining Megawatts of power OBJ and his cronies got grotesquely rich. It will be the same under GEJ. Good initiatives will be cynically hijacked by his many, many corrupt cronies. Corruption is simply our biggest headache and the greatest impediment to our development. Jonathan will never fight corruption. That much is obvious with the sham Halliburton trial that is designed to play to the gallery rather than indict the real bribe-takers to include some former heads of State. When the most corrupt and vile men in Nigeria (like Anenih) are behind Jonathan what progress can any Nigerian realistically expect from his Government?
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by TewMuch: 4:05pm On Oct 18, 2010
Brilliant thread *Subscribing* DapoBear is simply very intelligent and I like his intellectual discussion with Gbawe. Please beware of the Junkie, don't let her come turn this thread into a daft thread.This is way ahead of her level of intelligence.Carry go my guys, I gbadun you proper.P.S this is about Yoruba States so the IGBO/Yoruba internet warriors should respect themselves.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 4:27pm On Oct 18, 2010
Gbawe:

He is not. We simply need to start looking at issues from the perspective of what Nigeria needs the most at this point in time !!! Nigeria is going nowhere until corruption is tamed . Nothing works in Nigeria because of corruption. Corruption derailed the NIPP scheme . Instead of the nation gaining Megawatts of power OBJ and his cronies got grotesquely rich. It will be the same under GEJ. Good initiatives will be cynically hijacked by his many, many corrupt cronies. Corruption is simply our biggest headache and the greatest impediment to our development. Jonathan will never fight corruption. That much is obvious with the sham Halliburton trial that is designed to play to the gallery rather than indict the real bribe-takers to include some former heads of State. When the most corrupt and vile men in Nigeria (like Anenih) are behind Jonathan what progress can any Nigerian realistically expect from his Government?

Fine, Jonathan sucks and is likely to be corrupt. But at least he will be a weak president, and not a strong one. And thus he cannot be too greedy.

Buhari or any of these Sharia "dip the Koran into the Atlantic" Hausa-Fulani imperialist types, not a chance in hell I'm supporting them. A guy like Buhari might not chop much money, but he will chop off some heads, tighten the control of the federal gov't over the states, and generally make life unpleasant. No power project is EVER going to happen in Southwest Nigeria if a northerner is in power. Why on earth will they help build Yorubaland? We all know what will happen the very second Yorubaland becomes strong, we'll separate from Nigeria. You are being very naive if you think any of these Northerners want to help us.

Realistically, if we want electric power and other services in Yorubaland, we'll have to build it ourselves. And I have no problem doing this. I just don't want some fearful Northerner sabotaging it, the name of their game is to slow down any progress in Nigeria (especially SW Nigeria) lest we become too advanced. If a weakling like GEJ gets into power, we will have a lot more freedom and leeway to assert our independence from the Nigerian federal gov't. Try this with Buhari and blood will be spilled.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by seanet02: 4:47pm On Oct 18, 2010
They must be pushed out of south west at all cost, All northern dominated parties since independent have been synonymous with poverty and election manipulation. We are tired of Poverty in south west.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 11:01pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

Fine, Jonathan sucks and is likely to be corrupt. But at least he will be a weak president, and not a strong one. And thus he cannot be too greedy.

Buhari or any of these Sharia "dip the Koran into the Atlantic" Hausa-Fulani imperialist types, not a chance in hell I'm supporting them. A guy like Buhari might not chop much money, but he will chop off some heads, tighten the control of the federal gov't over the states, and generally make life unpleasant. No power project is EVER going to happen in Southwest Nigeria if a northerner is in power. Why on earth will they help build Yorubaland? We all know what will happen the very second Yorubaland becomes strong, we'll separate from Nigeria. You are being very naive if you think any of these Northerners want to help us.

Realistically, if we want electric power and other services in Yorubaland, we'll have to build it ourselves. And I have no problem doing this. I just don't want some fearful Northerner sabotaging it, the name of their game is to slow down any progress in Nigeria (especially SW Nigeria) lest we become too advanced. If a weakling like GEJ gets into power, we will have a lot more freedom and leeway to assert our independence from the Nigerian federal gov't. Try this with Buhari and blood will be spilled.

My brother , this is where we are intrinsically different ideologically. The North may have led us the longest since our post independence history but the ruling class who , in collusion with the Government of the day, have consistently decimated Nigeria have come from every corner of our nation !! This is the truth even if some of us want to see our ethnic group as virtuous and saintly. OBJ is a Yoruba man. He led us for 8 years as a democratic President yet he damaged the SW region far more than anyone else in recent history with how he supported a scheme to ensure that Yoruba States were placed in the very worst hands possible !!!!! If a Yoruba man can do this to his own region is it not time we begin to inspect all Nigerians on their individual merit rather than see things through an ethnic prism always? Jonathan is already showing that he will follow OBJ's formula i.e entrust Yoruba States into the hands of misruling brigands who can help him actualise an inordinate ambition. If you actually love the SW region you will see that we will be worse off under GEJ.

All what you want to happen in the SW region will not happen if Jonathan's corrupt cronies remain in power. The ACN Presidential candidate , for many reasons, is the one the SW region must support automatically.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by vangogh: 11:09pm On Oct 18, 2010
I concur that PDP is inherently bad. However, what is even more disturbing is the attitude of the electorates. Regardless of which party is voted in if left unchecked will behave exactly like PDP.   Absolute power corrupts is the phrase that comes to mind.

People tout Fashola as an example of what to expect from AC. The truth is that Fashola is an exception to the norm -a rare occurrence in Nigerian polity. AC was in control of SW in 1999-2003, and I cannot point to the any outstanding governor from AC during that time span; though not woefully bad as the current crop of PDP thugs.
The key to good governance is not in the party, but in the checks and balances put up by the electorates.  AC, PDP, ANPP,  AGPP, MyParty, YourParty are all prone to corruption if left unchecked.

Pertaining to the impeachment of the speaker of  Ogun State, I did not hear any outcry from any quarter both to the impeachment, and the subsequent passage of the  bonds Bill.
So if you were OGD, wont you continue to perpetuate similar stunts knowing fully well that there won't be any outcry?

As per Jonathan,  I like Jonathan as a person, but I have to admit that he lacks the basic requisite of a good leader.  His utterances in the last few weeks have in no doubt exposed his deficiency.

Of all the candidates  that I have read, Ribadu by far outshines all of them put together in terms of leadership qualities. Unfortunately, he is from the North which Southerners have now grown to associate with ineptitude. If I were to vote today, I'll cast my vote for Ribadu in a heart-beat, and it'll be a pleasure to do so.

Regardless of which party wins, Nigerians across all the geo-zones must demand accountability from its elected officers, not to do so is a recipe for disaster.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by vangogh: 11:20pm On Oct 18, 2010
DapoBear:

Ribadu does not have to weaken a region to strengthens the other. Have you considered that it would be a winner for all if Ribadu strengthens all regions without sacrificing any? I
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Gbawe: 11:36pm On Oct 18, 2010
vangogh:

Ribadu does not have to weaken a region to strengthens the other. Have you considered that it would be a winner for all if Ribadu strengthens all regions without sacrificing any? I

Indeed . A good Nigerian leader , with an exposed global perspective, will seek to lead well for all Nigerians. It amazes me how  , when some of our leaders gain serious international acclaim as visionary thinkers and achievers , we still prefer to see them as feudal and tribalistic leaders because of how some of us can never move beyond ethnicity . If Ribadu is the typical Northern Mullah bigot what on earth was he doing trying to win over the American congress , when he dialogued with them, by arguing Nigeria's corner?
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by DapoBear(m): 3:25am On Oct 19, 2010
Gbawe:

Indeed . A good Nigerian leader , with an exposed global perspective, will seek to lead well for all Nigerians. It amazes me how  , when some of our leaders gain serious international acclaim as visionary thinkers and achievers , we still prefer to see them as feudal and tribalistic leaders because of how some of us can never move beyond ethnicity . If Ribadu is the typical Northern Mullah bigot what on earth was he doing trying to win over the American congress , when he dialogued with them, by arguing Nigeria's corner?

Well, let's see. I'm an AC man myself. If they choose him and present him properly, I'll support him. But like I said, I do not trust northerners at all. Why is he not contesting in the north to fix that region? It is like a man with a filthy home telling me he wants to clean up the entire neighborhood. Ribadu needs to clean up his home first before he tries to clean up all of Nigeria.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by Akanbiedu(m): 8:03am On Oct 19, 2010
Dapobear,

I personally want a weak central and stronger state government just like you. But I find it difficult to blame the northerners for the stronger central because a southerner created the stronger central. We were operating regional government in Nigeria, go and find out who brought us under unitary system. You need to cool down on your anti-north sentiments.
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by patani(m): 8:47am On Oct 19, 2010
DapoBear:

You are the best gbawe, You have said my total mind, The only thing favoring GEJ is sentiment, Nigeriansss, We are the most sentimental country I have ever seen. No wonder we are the most religous and the best nation who know how to kill and steal in the name of God, I beleive we should look at what people have to offer and remove our mind from where they come from, I will not be suprised if GEJ perform woefully, He has said he is not promising Nigerian development, But he will try, He said this categorically in 1 of his campeign speech, He is not the right person for that seat. If southerners are bent on making the next president, People like donald Duke who ha svision for the coutry should be presented and not a chicken hearthed fellow like GEJ,
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by patani(m): 8:50am On Oct 19, 2010
Gbawe:

Yes you are . Jonathan is far from "harmless". In fact , I consider him the most dangerous choice Nigerians can make . he is a total prevaricator who plays politics when he must lead. Pacifying criminals and recruiting the help of those who have ruined Nigeria is what Jonathan does best . Do you know that in Ogun State 9 lawmakers (doing the will of Gbenga Daniel) set a disgraceful and dangerous precedence for Nigeria by cowering 15 lawmakers to impeach the Speaker of the house who stood against the blatantly criminal 100 billion bond Gbenga Daniel wanted to float ? After the impeachment the 100 billion Naira bond was approved in less than 30 minutes by the new speaker shocked shocked shocked Pure gangster politics that totally disgraces Nigeria as a Banana republic !!!!!

Should Jonathan not have acted decisively to put these gangsters in their place[b] before others think they can act similarly without repercussion?[/b] Is it not the notion that strong punishment never follows political criminality that has led us to where we are today? To make matters worse , in the middle of that crisis Gbenga Daniel is insensitively announced as the campaign coordinator of Jonathan in the SW region !!!!! What an affront to the people of Ogun State !!!!! It is the same in Oyo and Osun State. Oyinlola and Alao Akala now feel they can do what they wan't as they are 'untouchables" as per their support for GEJ.

GEJ is bad news for the SW region and the people of the region themselves know this . Jonathan is just enjoying some sentimental support as the 'underdog' being challenged by the "callous, born to rule" North. If we do away with emotions and ethnic sentiments it becomes obvious that there are candidates who are far better than Jonathan even if they are from the North. We should vote without sentiments by looking at the actions and conducts , past and present, of the respective candidates instead of focusing alone on the notion that Jonathan must win so that the North does not gain power. Thinking like that is dangerous for our nation.

You are the best gbawe, You have said my total mind, The only thing favoring GEJ is sentiment, Nigeriansss, We are the most sentimental country I have ever seen. No wonder we are the most religous and the best nation who know how to kill and steal in the name of God, I beleive we should look at what people have to offer and remove our mind from where they come from, I will not be suprised if GEJ perform woefully, He has said he is not promising Nigerian development, But he will try, He said this categorically in 1 of his campeign speech, He is not the right person for that seat. If southerners are bent on making the next president, People like donald Duke who ha svision for the coutry should be presented and not a chicken hearthed fellow like GEJ,
Re: Ekiti: Pdp Jittery Over S’west ! by patani(m): 8:57am On Oct 19, 2010
DapoBear:

Well, let's see. I'm an AC man myself. If they choose him and present him properly, I'll support him. But like I said, I do not trust northerners at all. Why is he not contesting in the north to fix that region? It is like a man with a filthy home telling me he wants to clean up the entire neighborhood. Ribadu needs to clean up his home first before he tries to clean up all of Nigeria.

Dapobear, How do you want him to clean up North, Please expanciate,

He is the best choice at leat for nw

(1) (Reply)

Bloomberg- Nigerian Senate Approves $31.7 Billion Budget, 17% Bigger Than Before / Why Rochas Okorocha Will Step Down / What Is Your Expectation of G E J Presidency 2011 - 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 147
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.