Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,857 members, 7,841,227 topics. Date: Monday, 27 May 2024 at 02:33 AM

What Is Intelligence? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Intelligence? (4324 Views)

Synagogue Building Was Attacked By US - Russian Intelligence / The Possibility Of Natural Intelligence. / Anti-tithers Are Playing On The Intelligence Of Nigerian Churches (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 5:48pm On Oct 21, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

why am I thinking of Pythagoras & Heraclitus now

See your dirty mind. Stop thinking about her sexual bits and bring your mind back to the subject of this thread.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by UyiIredia(m): 10:34am On Oct 22, 2010
Pastor AIO:

See your dirty mind. Stop thinking about her sexual bits and bring your mind back to the subject of this thread.

u misinterpreted my post >>> Heraclitus was a male philosopher who made the famous quote

"There is nothing permanent except change."
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 10:37am On Oct 22, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

u misinterpreted my post >>> Heraclitus was a male philosopher who made the famous quote

lol!

Yes, Ta Panta Rhei. You're still at it. Can't you get your mind off her pants. panta rhei ko, pata re e ni.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 11:39am On Oct 22, 2010
vescucci:

Er, you're not ranting. I wish there was an excuse for you to open a thread.

It's very interesting but at the time I was writing that post, or maybe the day after, the Conservative government released their budget and planned spending cuts. That made the points in my post very topical. Check this out:

Spending review: banks appear to have wriggled off the hook
Government accused of 'going soft' on banks with a charge that would raise no more than £2.5bn from the industry

The day after George Osborne announced swingeing cuts to public services and welfare benefits, the government was expected to announce payback time for Britain's banks – blamed by many for the country's parlous economic state.

But despite unveiling details of a levy on bank balance sheets, the government was yesterday accused of "going soft" on the banks with a charge that would raise no more than £2.5bn from the industry.

The plan for the levy outlined by City minister Mark Hoban yesterday did not appear to match Osborne's promise on Wednesday to extract "the maximum sustainable tax revenues from financial services".

Instead, the plan bears the hallmark of a summer of intense lobbying by the industry, prosperous again after being bailed out by the taxpayer two years ago, and which has succeeded in winning important concessions from the government.

Analysts even predicted[b] banks might pay less tax [/b]than originally expected as the government would need to adjust the levy to ensure it did not raise more than the £2.5bn targeted by the Treasury.

The Treasury spent the summer consulting on a levy that would consist of a charge of 0.04% of a bank's total balance sheet in the first year rising to 0.07% to recoup the targeted £2.5bn by 2013-14.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2010/oct/22/spending-review-banks-off-hook?intcmp=239

The people who caused the mess in the first place are not going to pay for it but rather it is the poor that will pay for it.

Welfare cuts cast doubt on Coalition's claim of fairness

George Osborne imposed a further £7bn cut in the welfare budget to blunt the axe falling on frontline services, but insisted that yesterday's government-wide spending review was "fair" as well as "tough".

Only £2.5bn of the welfare savings will come from the better-off, through withdrawing child benefit for top-rate taxpayers, with the rest found from restricting benefits for the poor and vulnerable groups.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/welfare-cuts-cast-doubt-on-coalitions-claim-of-fairness-2112311.html

The Treasury today slapped a £2.5bn-a-year levy on the banking industry but still left some of the major banks better off as a result of corporation tax cuts being implemented over the next four years.

As the electorate was hit by £81bn of cuts to public spending that will leave the poorest section of society worst off, City minister Mark Hoban issued legislation that made some concessions to the banks after a summer of intense lobbying by the industry. It could even result in some banks ending up paying less tax than before.

Unions were swift to attack the tax, dismissing it as "a pathetically small amount" to demand from the banks, and said the City would be "cracking open the champagne."

If there is a demonstration and it gets violent you'll probably find me on the frontline. This people are really having a laugh at our expense. Out of 81billion pounds cuts, they only pay 2.5 billion and the rest is paid by people who don't have 2 kobo to rub together.

Controversial tax boss Dave Hartnett agreed a deal to let Vodafone off a £6bn tax bill, it emerged yesterday.

In what was described as an 'unbelievable cave-in', the HMRC's permanent secretary for tax allowed the phone giant to avoid paying vast amounts of tax on profits racked up by a subsidiary based in a tax haven.
The disclosure comes after it emerged that Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs had undercharged 1.4million Britons a total of £2billion in tax and would be claiming it back.

Last week Mr Hartnett was forced by Chancellor George Osborne to issue a grovelling apology.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=514832&in_page_id=2#ixzz135AgJ8MK

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=514832&in_page_id=2

In in the same week all this happened it was discovered that one of the richest companies in England called Vodafone hadn't been paying it's taxes to the magnitude of 6.5 billion. 'Oh dear what a silly error, we'll let you off, but don't do it again'.
What is all this padi padi nonsense. That is a whole 8 percent of the 80billion they are looking for. One company. And it's not like the company cannot afford it. I wonder what will happen to me if I neglect to pay my taxes.

So please when we see people fighting for their rights in this western world leave them alone for me please. They are not mugus like 99.9999 per cent of 9jas. If it was nigeria we would probably be praying for the government and their oppressive cronies. A beg allow people wey get sense to apply dem sense.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 11:48am On Oct 22, 2010
vescucci:

And I forgot to ask, MyJoe. Your theories seem to suggest that there's no such thing like being more intelligent than another and if possible there's no way of measuring it or that one may merely be more intelligent than another in one type i.e. musically etc. Is this correct? Also do you think intelligence increases or decreases? Is it possible?

In other words, Is intelligence quantifiable?

I still think a basic definition is required from MyJoe rather than a list accounting all the different types of intelligence. What makes my ability to fart loudest not a demonstration of my superior intelligence? Or my ability to pee the highest up a wall? What we have so far is an account of various abilities that have been branded types of intelligence but we don't know what makes them intelligence while other abilities are not considered intelligence.

I am aware that he is only presenting the ideas of Howard Gardner and not his own, but I think Howard Gardner should be able to make basic definition of his terms, after all he is even an Harvard professor. We shouldn't let him get away with such sloppiness.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 11:57am On Oct 22, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

What Is Intelligence? >>> Uyi's definition

The ability to gather, retain & evolve information

I love the evolve information part. The ability to gather and retain information is similar to my definition.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by DeepSight(m): 12:42pm On Oct 22, 2010
Uyi Iredia:

My word! His wonderful play on words really went over ya head completely
Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 2:40pm On Oct 22, 2010
Pastor AIO:

There is absolutely no need to determine that canines are a different class from Equidae in order to tell that Dogs and Wolves are both canine, or rather that they have common traits. At least I don't think so.  When we generalize, yes, that general trait that we discover is distinct from other general traits.  But that fact is not necessary to the process of generalizing. 

On the other hand, language and words are used to distinguish things.  We name and term things to set them apart.  This might be what is causing the confusion.
Imagine it is possible to have someone whose IQ is very very close to zero, say, around 0.5 or 1. It is unlikely he would be able to tell a computer from a goat. Everything would just be the same. He would be unable to tell the colours. It would be hard to communicate with him since he would be unable to different sounds and signs even if his eardrums are physiologically intact. When someone sings very badly and don’t seem to realise it, it is usually said that such a person is tone-deaf. That is, he is unable to make distinctions in tones. The less intelligence there is, the more things tend to blur. The more intelligent someone is, the more discriminating one is. The more distinctions he makes. In every act of intelligence, whether it is related to solving puzzles, spotting similarities, putting together the right information, or recalling the right answer when asked who was the first governor-general of Nigeria, what you are doing is making fine distinctions. Or that’s what I think.

Making distinctions is inherent in the very process of making accurate generalisations. I do not see how that fact is not necessary to the process of generalizing since generalizing often simply comes down to grouping, sub-grouping and re-grouping.

Naming comes after distinction, so I don’t think it should cause confusion.

Pastor AIO:
Demonstrably?  Please demonstrate.
Lol. Come to my lab at 19.30 GMT.

Pastor AIO:
If due to genetics someone's muscles can generate the power to help them jump higher than others is that to be counted for as some form of intelligence?  I can accept that coordination, the ability to aim accurately etc can be considered a form of intelligence.
I have nothing to add to that^^^, since I, too, did not set out to create the impression that bending iron would amount to intelligence!

Pastor AIO:
I've read Daniel Goleman's book and while I liked the basic premise of there being multiple intelligences I think after making that great point the book degenerated to waffle.  It does not comprehensively account for intelligences and it does not even provide a succinct definition of Intelligence itself.  It doesn't even do so for Emotion either.
I, too, have many issues with Goleman’s book but it’s nothing to do with his failure to provide definitions. But I guess that’s because I don’t do definitionism much. If I had written the book I would probably also have eschewed definitions as conceived here since they can only cause distractions of their own and are unlikely to serve any use at all. I doubt I’d be able to come up with a definition for every single word I use even though I have an intuitive understanding of what they mean as do my interlocutors. What gives me concern are some of Goleman’s claims. I believe he sometimes went too far in making assertions. A social scientist ought to be more cautious and use more caveats in making claims on a matter in which actual field research is scanty. But the book opens a whole new way of looking at things. I guess the intelligent thing to do would be to proceed from there and make one’s own observations to know what is useful and what is not.

Pastor AIO:
The ability to acquire and retain information was my definition.  It wasn't a statement of absolute fact.  Like I said earlier it can be arbitrary but once the definition has been made then you must stick within it's parameters. 
What is the difference between acquiring information and making fine distinctions?  What is information?  Are the distinctions not information?  Orange is sweet.  Agbalumo is sweet.  Orange is sweet in a different way from agbalumo.  Is that not information?  If someone doesn't know there is a difference in the sweetness of agbalumo and orange is that person not uninformed. 
Spot on. The point, like I tried to make to nuclearboy, is that you cannot pick a single chip of the whole, and try to use that to define intelligence. (1) Information – or being able to get and use it, (2) vocabulary, (3) arithmetic, (4) puzzles, or (5) memory are just chips of intelligence. That would be narrowing it down too much.

There is a lot of information. To get the right information you need to be able to make fine distinctions. It is my view that that applies to your ability to make good music, solve puzzles, get out of a maze, balance an account book, design a functional MMU, fly an aeroplane, critique a movie, make a good painting, and cook a really great bowl of groundnut soup.

I note you have made the observation that there is some arbitrariness involved in definitions even if one has to stick to one, a view I share. Well, I guess that is why, even though we all have an intuitive understanding of what intelligence is and use it in our conversations everyday, no one has come up with a single universally accepted definition.

Pastor AIO:
The two have different life experiences and I might deem one's life experience as more pertinent to getting me through the jungle alive then the other's.
Right. Like I have already acknowledged, that example was grossly inadequate to the point I sought to make. But it’s possible to bring it to the level of intelligence. Among Central African pigmies or traditional Navajos you will find individuals skilled with the flute and those skilled at hunting and others skilled at carving.

Pastor AIO:

In other words, Is intelligence quantifiable?
I suggest you read the post I wrote in response to that post of vesc's that you quoted.

Pastor AIO:
I still think a basic definition is required from MyJoe rather than a list accounting all the different types of intelligence.  What makes my ability to fart loudest not a demonstration of my superior intelligence?  Or my ability to pee the highest up a wall?  What we have so far is an account of various abilities that have been branded types of intelligence but we don't know what makes them intelligence while other abilities are not considered intelligence. 

I am aware that he is only presenting the ideas of Howard Gardner and not his own, but I think Howard Gardner should be able to make basic definition of his terms, after all he is even an Harvard professor.  We shouldn't let him get away with such sloppiness.
No, sir. I am not only presenting the idea of Gardner on this thread. Here: I have stated clearly in this thread that the theory of eight intelligences was made up by Gardner. Some social scientists accept them. Others don't. I don't consider either group right or wrong. I accept them based on personal observations I have made. I stated four intelligences in order to make my point. I later stated the other four after vescucci asked for them. What I am presenting here are basically my views of what I find useful and what I don't. I believe that defining intelligence narrowly to include those who can handle big textbooks and maybe do mathematics is not very helpful. That many labelled unintelligent may not actually be unintelligent. That is my point. Thank you.

I began by clearly stating, in highlight, a definition of intelligence in my first post. Post # 1. I have also stated it in this post, and perhaps others. That is my working definition of intelligence which is, needless to say, not perfect. And what makes an act intelligent and another unintelligent is amply contained in my posts. You believe Gardner should have provided a definition? Aight.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 3:01pm On Oct 22, 2010
@vescucci
Yes, they have since been added to by some learned psychologists. I personally find these eight useful, while not discounting other theories. And yes, there is risk of over-simplications and over-generalisations. For example, when we say logical-mathematical is about aptitude towards abstract reasoning and solving mathematical problems, you will find someone who is a mathematical genius but can’t do much abstract reasoning that is not figure-related. The reverse is quite evident. The intelligences can and often also overlap. Bear in mind the intelligences don’t occur in isolation in people. But all these do not detract from the clear distinctions which can be made in our effort to understand intelligence. I believe the theory is, thus, useful. But like I said, I don’t consider it perfect.

When considering degree of usefulness, you need to bear at the back of your mind, again, that these geniuses don’t usually occur in isolation in people. We often simply excel at one. The case of prodigies and autistic savants helps to make the case for multiple intelligences here. A prodigy excels at one while being just about average in most of the others. An autistic savant excels at one while being far below average at the others, particularly the intrapersonal and interpersonal. Jeremy Bentham was a prodigy and that spanned the verbal-linguistic, the logical-mathematical, and the musical, so he is a well-known genius. Mozart had it for the musical and was just normal in other respects.

Now, I know many will conclude that Henry Louis Gates is more intelligent than Michael Jackson, or that Shakespeare was more intelligent than Pablo Picasso, or that Pliny the Elder was more intelligent than Sundiata Keita, Alexander the Great or Ewuare N’Ogidigan. I don’t share that view. But that’s the point I have been trying to make.

I think emotional intelligence (call it common sense, call it sabi, call it presence of mind, call it finesse, call it flair, call it poise, call self-possession, call it what you will) is probably the important of the intelligences since it concerns, among other things, degree of mastery over the deadly emotions of anger, fear and envy, and may largely determine how successful you become in the ordinary business of life. Having got that out of the way, would I go on to advocate a hierarchy? In a rash moment, I might pick some as being more important than the others if everyone human being were born with a single one to the exclusion of others and one would then have to pick in terms of relevance to survival. But since that is not usually the case, except for the autistic savant, no. Kinesthetic intelligence would be useful to a hunter, so would it to a dancer and choreographer, an athlete and even a running shoes designer. You may want to ask a question or two more, but I’m out of hia. Gotta pay some attention to a matter right here.

I believe I have answered PastorAIO’s query about differences and I can’t think of anything to add to what Deep Sight has written.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 3:21pm On Oct 22, 2010
MyJoe:

I began by clearly stating, in highlight, a definition of intelligence in my first post. Post # 1. I have also stated it in this post, and perhaps others. That is my working definition of intelligence which is, needless to say, not perfect. And what makes an act intelligent and another unintelligent is amply contained in my posts. You believe Gardner should have provided a definition? Aight.

Sorry my bad! You did provide a definition. I kinda lost track. And my bone of contention was that the ability to generalize was just as important and you said to generalize you need to make distinctions still. I don't feel that is true but I've still got to work out how to construct an argument to demonstrate why I don't agree that generalizing falls under making distinctions.

I'll be back.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:45pm On Oct 22, 2010
Which one of those pictures are we taught was made by an Intelligent Creator?

[img width=500 height=500]http://www.answersingenesis.org/assets/images/media/cartoons/after-eden/20020204.gif[/img]
Re: What Is Intelligence? by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:57pm On Oct 22, 2010
God has quite a few interesting things to say about those who put an inordinate emphasis upon worldly knowledge and lack the wisdom to use it properly.

"For God's [holy] wrath and indignation are revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who in their wickedness repress and hinder the truth and make it inoperative. [19] For that which is known about God is evident to them and made plain in their inner consciousness, because God [Himself] has shown it to them. [20] For ever since the creation of the world His invisible nature and attributes, that is, His eternal power and divinity, have been made intelligible and clearly discernible in and through the things that have been made (His handiworks). So [men] are without excuse [altogether without any defense or justification], [21] Because when they knew and recognized Him as God, they did not honour and glorify Him as God or give Him thanks. But instead they became futile and godless in their thinking [with vain imaginings, foolish reasoning, and silly speculations] and their senseless minds were darkened. [22] Claiming to be wise, they became fools [professing to be smart, they made simpletons of themselves]". Romans 1:18-29 (Parallel Bible, KJV/Amplified).

The deification of knowledge--otherwise known as Gnosticism--is blasted by the Apostle Paul in the following verses:

"O Timothy, guard and keep the deposit entrusted [to you]! Turn away from the irreverent babble and godless chatter, with the vain and empty and worldly phrases, and the subtleties and the contradictions in what is falsely called knowledge and spiritual illumination" 1 Tim. 6:20 (Parallel Bible, KJV/Amplified).

"For I want you to know how great is my solicitude for you [how severe an inward struggle I am engaged in for you] and for those [believers] at Laodicea, and for all who [like yourselves] have never seen my face and known me personally. [2] [For my concern is] that their hearts may be braced (comforted, cheered, and encouraged) as they are knit together in love, that they may come to have all the abounding wealth and blessings of assured conviction of understanding, and that they may become progressively more intimately acquainted with and may know more definitely and accurately and thoroughly that mystic secret of God, [which is] Christ (the Anointed One). [3] In Him all the treasures of [divine] wisdom (comprehensive insight into the ways and purposes of God) and [all the riches of spiritual] knowledge and enlightenment are stored up and lie hidden. [4] I say this in order that no one may mislead and delude you by plausible and persuasive and attractive arguments and beguiling speech" Col. 2:1-4 (Parallel Bible, KJV/Amplified)

"See to it that no one carries you off as spoil or makes you yourselves captive by his so-called philosophy and intellectualism and vain deceit (idle fancies and plain nonsense), following human tradition (men's ideas of the material rather than the spiritual world), just crude notions following the rudimentary and elemental teachings of the universe and disregarding [the teachings of] Christ (the Messiah). [9] For in Him the whole fullness of Deity (the Godhead) continues to dwell in bodily form [giving complete expression of the divine nature]" Col. 2:8-9 (Parallel Bible/KJV/Amplified).
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 4:21pm On Oct 22, 2010
Oh noooooooo!! Mr Olaadegbu please spare us. Don't you have enough of your own threads.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:41pm On Oct 22, 2010
Re: What Is Intelligence? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:04am On Oct 23, 2010
Re: What Is Intelligence? by vescucci(m): 1:10pm On Oct 23, 2010
Pastor, thanks a ton for that expose earlier. Really compressed stuff.

MyJoe. Lol, you're right. I'd ask more questions but I fully understand what you're saying. I like that you and Uyi said intelligences are highly merged. As for DeepSight's question about who's more intelligent between Shakespeare and Einstein or some other duo (I think Uyi presented some of his own) my belief is this: yes, there must be a more cumulatively intelligent person as long as we want to keep on using the word 'intelligent' but we may never agree on what intelligence is or a way of evaluating it, so will probably never know or agree who is more intelligent.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by NegroNtns(m): 4:09pm On Oct 23, 2010
@POST,

Intelligence is the individual's ability to process (understand, recall, reflect, envision, store and dispose) situational issues.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by InesQor(m): 2:59am On Oct 26, 2010
Intelligent thread smiley
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 11:24am On Oct 27, 2010
MyJoe:

Making distinctions is inherent in the very process of making accurate generalisations. I do not see how that fact is not necessary to the process of generalizing since generalizing often simply comes down to grouping, sub-grouping and re-grouping.

Let me make an attempt to explain my point. Imagine a guy with in a limited world living a limited life experience. He meets someone one else. That person offers him a job, he accepts, the person then gives him a slap and puts him to work. At the end of the week his manager comes to him with his pay check, gives him a slap, and hands him his wages. He goes home and his wife welcomes him with a kiss, gives him a slap and they head off to beg together. The next day they go to visit his parents. When they arrive him mum, his dad, his brother and his sister each give him a slap as they welcome him with open arms.

He then goes on a walk and meets a stranger. Instantly he expects a slap from the stranger. His tendency to expect a slap from every where he goes does not depend on his ability to make distinctions. He doesn't need to group the world in to those who slap and those who do not. Everyone slaps as far as he is concerned. He has generalized every meeting into a slap reception.

I hope that conveys my point.

Lol. Come to my lab at 19.30 GMT.
I was there. They said you were stuck in traffic and I waited and waited yet you didn't show up. Next time I'll charge you per hour for my time.

Spot on. The point, like I tried to make to nuclearboy, is that you cannot pick a single chip of the whole, and try to use that to define intelligence. (1) Information – or being able to get and use it, (2) vocabulary, (3) arithmetic, (4) puzzles, or (5) memory are just chips of intelligence. That would be narrowing it down too much.
Well you can. As long as you accept that it is arbitrary and the definition you use works to help you make your point or further your argument within the context of a particular issue.
Just don't expect your definition to be universally accepted within every context by everyone.

MyJoe:

No, sir. I am not only presenting the idea of Gardner on this thread. Here: I have stated clearly in this thread that the theory of eight intelligences was made up by Gardner. Some social scientists accept them. Others don't. I don't consider either group right or wrong. I accept them based on personal observations I have made. I stated four intelligences in order to make my point. I later stated the other four after vescucci asked for them. What I am presenting here are basically my views of what I find useful and what I don't. I believe that defining intelligence narrowly to include those who can handle big textbooks and maybe do mathematics is not very helpful. That many labelled unintelligent may not actually be unintelligent. That is my point. Thank you.

Oops, I hope say I no vex you. I also agree that intelligence is not limited to that tested in IQ tests. So I agree with your point.
However I think another bone of contention is that of natural inclination. I believe that the different intelligences result as a matter of inclination. Not just inclination but natural inclination. ie I believe people are born with certain inclinations. Some are drawn to music and their intelligence will be applied to that and will develop in that direction. Some others are drawn to understanding their fellow human beings and thus become more intelligent at persuasion and at reading a crowd which is a skill many demagogues, and salesmen even, need to develop. etc etc.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 3:08pm On Oct 28, 2010
Intelligence can also be defined as the ability to consider options. The key words being the ability to make considerations and the possibility of options.

I would like to draw our attention to a previous thread at this point. This other thread approaches the matter from a totally different angle.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-294887.0.html
Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 2:40pm On Oct 29, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Let me make an attempt to explain my point.  Imagine a guy with in a limited world living a limited life experience.  He meets someone one else.  That person offers him a job, he accepts, the person then gives him a slap and puts him to work.  At the end of the week his manager comes to him with his pay check, gives him a slap, and hands him his wages.  He goes home and his wife welcomes him with a kiss, gives him a slap and they head off to beg together.  The next day they go to visit his parents.  When they arrive him mum, his dad, his brother and his sister each give him a slap as they welcome him with open arms. 

He then goes on a walk and meets a stranger.  Instantly he expects a slap from the stranger.  His tendency to expect a slap from every where he goes does not depend on his ability to make distinctions.  He doesn't need to group the world in to those who slap and those who do not.  Everyone slaps as far as he is concerned.  He has generalized every meeting into a slap reception. 

I hope that conveys my point.
Lol.
Just having a hard time conveying it to real life.

Pastor AIO:
I was there.  They said you were stuck in traffic and I waited and waited yet you didn't show up.  Next time I'll charge you per hour for my time.
No problem. As you would say, all you will need to do is have your people send an invoice to my people.

Pastor AIO:
  Well you can.  As long as you accept that it is arbitrary and the definition you use works to help you make your point or further your argument within the context of a particular issue. 
Just don't expect your definition to be universally accepted within every context by everyone.
That is fine.

Pastor AIO:
Oops, I hope say I no vex you.  I also agree that intelligence is not limited to that tested in IQ tests.  So I agree with your point. 
However I think another bone of contention is that of natural inclination.  I believe that the different intelligences result as a matter of inclination.  Not just inclination but natural inclination.  ie I believe people are born with certain inclinations.  Some are drawn to music and their intelligence will be applied to that and will develop in that direction.  Some others are drawn to understanding their fellow human beings and thus become more intelligent at persuasion and at reading a crowd which is a skill many demagogues, and salesmen even, need to develop.  etc etc.
"Intelligence", "inclination", even "skill". There is a line dividing them. How thick exactly I doubt we will ever fully know. I do have my observations which I compare with what the experts say, though. I have read psychologists who say Gardner's eight intelligences are just nothing but skills! Having been actively interested in this matter for close to two decades,  I have enough reasons of my own to strongly disagree with them, but it's their view and they too make good arguments.

Here is Gardner himself:

Some people read text relatively quickly, but struggle with diagrams and
tables. Others find it easy to read tables of numbers and enjoy working with
information organised diagramatically, but get bogged down in long
passages of text. Indeed, it has been argued that that there are seven or
eight different kinds of ‘intelligence’ and that these affect the way we study

And here is something I came across when I took a class on theories of learning. It's written by Andrew Northedge, a learning theory expert:

However, there is a disagreement about how useful it is to make distinctions
between learning styles and about which distinctions are most meaningful
and practical. New classification schemes and new versions of old schemes
continue to emerge. . . .

Whether some of these schemes are more ‘correct’ than others is not
necessarily important. You can simply make use of them to stimulate
thinking about your learning preferences. Try them out and borrow
whatever ideas seem useful.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 7:48pm On Oct 29, 2010
MyJoe:
[b]
"Intelligence", "inclination", even "skill". There is a line dividing them. [/b]How thick exactly I doubt we will ever fully know. I do have my observations which I compare with what the experts say, though. I have read psychologists who say Gardner's eight intelligences are just nothing but skills! Having been actively interested in this matter for close to two decades,  I have enough reasons of my own to strongly disagree with them, but it's their view and they too make good arguments.

Ooooo . . . I wouldn't say that they dividing line was that fine. Here are the 3 definitions of the terms as I see them.

Intelligence: The ability to make distinctions (I would add and to make generalizations).

Inclination: A tendency towards. It can be used to term a bias for one thing over another.

Skill: An ability of any sort. So obviously Intelligence is a skill as it is an ability to make fine distinctions. However it does not apply to other abilities such as the ability to pee very high up a wall.

We all have intelligence but, as I said before, what marks one man's intelligence apart from another's is the sphere of life to which he applies the intelligence. Each of us is inclined to one sphere of life more than another.

I do believe that people have different ways of assimilating and apprehending information too. Gardner is right that some are more visual while others are better at learning of text.

Another trait that I've noticed, especially with myself is that people have different rates of learning. I am a slow learner. Often the students who pick things up quickly are considered the smarter pupils however I would disagree. It takes a while for things to sink in with me, but I absorb it very deeply. After a few weeks I'll know the ins and outs of the subject better than the fast learner. I also find that fast learners just swallow what they are taught hook line and sinker. The reason I learn so slowly is probably because I'm analyzing and constantly questioning the information.
I am therefore more likely to find flaws in the subject that the better pupils missed. Or maybe it's just because I'm a cynical recalcitrant who doesn't trust authority or being spoon fed any information.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:05pm On Nov 01, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Oh noooooooo!! Mr Olaadegbu please spare us. Don't you have enough of your own threads.

Ohhh nooo!

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0004/0004_01.asp

Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 1:01pm On Nov 03, 2010
Pastor AIO:

Ooooo . . . I wouldn't say that they dividing line was that fine.  Here are the 3 definitions of the terms as I see them.

Intelligence:  The ability to make distinctions (I would add and to make generalizations). 

Inclination:  A tendency towards.  It can be used to term a bias for one thing over another.

Skill:  An ability of any sort.  So obviously Intelligence is a skill as it is an ability to make fine distinctions.  However it does not apply to other abilities such as the ability to pee very high up a wall. 
I like the above delineation.

Pastor AIO:

We all have intelligence but, as I said before, what marks one man's intelligence apart from another's is the sphere of life to which he applies the intelligence.  Each of us is inclined to one sphere of life more than another. 

If I understand you correctly, what marks Ade Bakare’s intelligence apart from Barth Nnaji’s is that one decided to apply his intelligence – which is amoebic till given form by inclination - to clothes designing while the other applied his to robotics engineering. In other words, if Michael Dell had as a kid decided to apply all his intelligence to golf he could have ended up a Tiger Woods or something in that region.

To help explain why that point of view does not work for me, here’s what got me interested in this subject. I have this friend who is very intelligent. But everyone that knows him well just don’t like him much because they find him a bit obnoxious. The thinking ones among them wonder how so much intelligence and dumbness can cohabit in the same mind. When he was a kid, his mother used to tell him his mind was “upside down”. He would keep quite when you expect him to speak. He would greet when he shouldn’t. Just when he is expected to stand up he would remain seated. He has very very few friends. Even his family members are not very friendly with him even though he is someone you will describe as a nice person. He would never hurt anyone and is one of those few human beings genuinely capable of putting another’s interest ahead of his, yet few people want to really get close to him. Needless to say he is poor at getting the attention of the fairer sex. He has no other close friend – I guess it takes only someone like me who knows, or have a fair idea of what his ”problem” is to be friends with him. By the way, he is not autistic. He’s a regular guy, it’s when you deal with him extensively you will realise how poor he is at small the things you don’t learn from books.

He has improved his relationship with people over the years but he has not changed fundemantally. Having studied him closely I can tell he has improved by going with precedents. That is, if he stands up today, he stands up when faced with same circumstances in five years time. You can guess the limits of going by precedents since situations are often different and thus demand some ability to make distinctions. So while he has improved his interpersonal skills and can relate fairly well in the circumstances he has some familiarity with, he has not improved his emotional intelligence.

He was quite happy with himself but by the time he was in his thirties he had realised he has a fundamental problem relating with people. He realised that his difficulty getting girls was due to a fundamental problem. He began to try to change himself. But you know what? Yes, you guessed it – he can’t! He can’t because he takes the approach intelligent people take to solving problems – the informational approach. He would go online and read articles on “how to relate with people” or something. But these don’t work because there is an inborn ability that he lacks and can’t learn.

I do not find it quite plausible to talk of applying an amoeboid intelligence to a sphere of life to arrive at one’s functional intelligence when considering this guy and many other things. I already mentioned the case of prodigies and autistic savants in an earlier post. This is why experts don't consider theirs to be merely a case of focusing your "entire intelligence" on a single thing. Could the biology genius Darwin have become a music genius like Mozart if someone had talked him into music at a young age? There are people who spend all their life being taught something. They then go to school and get a PhD in it, only to later discover something they just love to do and can do without any effort and so they keep their certificates at some bottom drawer. I find it hard to conclude, for instance, that my friend chose to apply his intelligence in academics rather than in intrapersonal skills. That is quite obviously not the case. What I can see is that he had this intelligence and lacked that one in the first place. He grew up in the same place as other people, including his siblings who cope well in social situations. That is, he had the same opportunity to master the skill of applying his intelligence to social situations as any Average Joe or Plain Jane had. Yet, what he finds monumentally difficult, most people do without making any effort. That applies to other intelligences.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 1:10pm On Nov 03, 2010
@OLAADEGBU
Someone murdered God? shocked
I don't like to scream "blasphemy", but some of the things you people say!
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 1:51pm On Nov 03, 2010
MyJoe:

If I understand you correctly, what marks Ade Bakare’s intelligence apart from Barth Nnaji’s is that one decided to apply his intelligence – which is amoebic till given form by inclination - to clothes designing while the other applied his to robotics engineering. In other words, if Michael Dell had as a kid [size=15pt]decided[/size] to apply all his intelligence to golf he could have ended up a Tiger Woods or something in that region.

You would have understood me correctly if rather than say 'decided to apply his intelligence' you had said 'was inclined to applied his intelligence'. This inclination that I'm talking about is not something that you decide. It is a natural inclination. Ie you were born with it. Some people from their childhood find themselves drawn naturally and irresistably to sounds. They grow up to be good at organising sounds which enables them to become good musicians.

Others are drawn to patterns and colours. Due to this inclination when their intelligence is brought to bear on it they find that they develop into great visual artists, maybe even clothes designers.

Others are naturally inclined to abstractions. Their intelligence is brought to bear on abstract ideas and they might find that they develop into great mathematicians or philosophers.

Michael Dell cannot DECIDE to apply his intelligence to golf if he is not naturally inclined to golf.

Each human being is born individually with a unique set of inclinations. Some people are marked by the fact that they have no inclination towards something whatsoever while most other people have a little bit. For example you friend might not be very good at reading people or reading social situations because he has no inclination for it. Most people have some inclination for it. However a very few of us are extremely drawn to it and are fascinated by other people and by society in general. These few that are extremely drawn to it may end up becoming psychologists or sociologists when they apply their intelligence to their inclinations. Or on the other hand they may become great con men, pastors, or demagogues. The rest of us know just about enough to steer our way through society.
Your friend it seems is simply not drawn to what makes people tick. And in fact this would not be a problem for him until he gets to a certain age and his hormones start to clamour and he needs some female attention. Then he finds that he does not have the skills to get it. If he were to be honest he would admit that he really couldn't be bothered with the ceremony of getting laid but would just rather cut to the chase with a girl. It kind of reminds me of the movie - A Beautiful Mind, about a mathematician that went mad. He had a problem with the fairer sex and there was a scene where he says to a girl at the bar something like 'how do we get past this stage and on to the part that I'm really interested in', or words to that effect.
That is a far cry from a certain kind of guy that loves the banter of talking to women. He loves to hear their irrationalities, he loves the way women think, he enjoys the chase, he actually loves it when a woman makes him wait, when she plays games etc. He loves the game not just the end score.

I hope this makes my point.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 2:34pm On Nov 03, 2010
Pastor AIO:

You would have understood me correctly if rather than say 'decided to apply his intelligence'  you had said 'was inclined to applied his intelligence'.  This inclination that I'm talking about is not something that you decide.  It is a natural inclination.  Ie you were born with it.  Some people from their childhood find themselves drawn naturally and irresistably to sounds.  They grow up to be good at organising sounds which enables them to become good musicians. 
I understood what you meant – I guess “decided” was not the right word to use. Inclination is something that takes place at the subconscious level.

I get your point, but this still doesn't find earth with me:
Pastor AIO:
Your friend it seems is simply not drawn to what makes people tick.

Not drawn to what makes people tick, even if he has a strong desire to be accepted and treated normally? You will recall his “problem” does not end with greeting people. He would place something down when he ought to hang it up, prompting the next person to wonder if he has any sense at all. He would then feel bad at himself for not knowing he should have hung it up. That is why wanting to cut the chase is insufficient to explain it. There is a pattern of being clueless while thinking he was doing things as they should.

Of course, I’m not rejecting the idea of inclination, even though I don’t think it is of much relevance when we talk of the kind of intelligence my intelligent friend lacks. I believe inclination attunes with intelligence in most people. But that is not always the case since you can find someone who had an inclination for sports, did not do well in it and later found his place in acting. There are kids with inclination to do sports who can't hold the bat properly after trying for years but they draw excellently. A lady I know had to be begged by her friends to stop being a "writer", (her childhood love) and do something else everyone could see she was really good at as her published works would not stop getting horrible reviews.

Intelligence or inclination? But I guess yours is a way of seeing it.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 3:32pm On Nov 03, 2010
MyJoe:

Not drawn to what makes people tick, even if he has a strong desire to be accepted and treated normally? You will recall his “problem” does not end with greeting people. He would place something down when he ought to hang it up, prompting the next person to wonder if he has any sense at all. He would then feel bad at himself for not knowing he should have hung it up. That is why wanting to cut the chase is insufficient to explain it. There is a pattern of being clueless while thinking he was doing things as they should.

Your friend needs Deliverance!! cheesy

MyJoe:

Of course, I’m not rejecting the idea of inclination, even though I don’t think it is of much relevance when we talk of the kind of intelligence my intelligent friend lacks. I believe inclination attunes with intelligence in most people. [b]But that is not always the case since you can find someone who had an inclination for sports, did not do well in it and later found his place in acting. [/b]There are kids with inclination to do sports who can't hold the bat properly after trying for years but they draw excellently. A lady I know had to be begged by her friends to stop being a "writer", (her childhood love) and do something else everyone could see she was really good at as her published works would not stop getting horrible reviews.

That's a Good point. Let me go and think about that.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:29am On Nov 04, 2010
MyJoe:

@OLAADEGBU
Someone murdered God? shocked
I don't like to scream "blasphemy", but some of the things you people say!

I hope you saw the exclamation to that question in the cartoon posted in post #86.

Did anybody say scream?  Check it out in the link below:

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/5021/5021_01.asp

Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 11:37am On Nov 07, 2010
MyJoe:

Of course, I’m not rejecting the idea of inclination, even though I don’t think it is of much relevance when we talk of the kind of intelligence my intelligent friend lacks. I believe inclination attunes with intelligence in most people. But that is not always the case since you can find someone who had an inclination for sports, did not do well in it and later found his place in acting. There are kids with inclination to do sports who can't hold the bat properly after trying for years but they draw excellently. A lady I know had to be begged by her friends to stop being a "writer", (her childhood love) and do something else everyone could see she was really good at as her published works would not stop getting horrible reviews.

Intelligence or inclination? But I guess yours is a way of seeing it.

I think that I have found why our opinions are different.  Not everything we do is due to[b] natural inclination[/b].  In fact natural inclination plays a minimal part in most people's psychology and behaviour.  A bigger part is played by Contrivances.  Most people are 99% contrivance and 1% Natural Inclination, according to a poll conducted by the Jagbajantis Research Survey. 

Joking aside, I can't say the percentage but most people are driven by Contrivances and Ulterior motives more than are driven by their Natural Inclinations.  Luckily their intelligence applied in the contrived way is enough to see them through though it's all rather mediocre. 
Your friend has little natural interest in social mores, what to do and what not to do in social situations (what's wrong with placing a jacket on a chair rather than hanging it up unless it's just not done in a certain social circle).  He has now tried to contrive an interest in order to get on better with others.  Note he does this not because he is actually interested in society, but maybe because it is affecting his professional life and he needs to pay his bills, plus he needs sex and so has to learn to talk to women.  His interest in learning social mores is contrived, not natural.

And as for your friend the writer, that is a common situation too.  Is she a woman that is naturally drawn to language?  For example, I know that I love language, especially english.  I love to hear good poetry, I love well written songs, I am fascinated by people who have an interesting way of talking, maybe it's their turn of phrase or their vocabulary, even accents, I find it delightful the ways different people talk.  I often try to capture this in my writings.  I believe to be a good writer you have to LOVE the language you are writing in.  It's grammar, it's syntax, the ways the vowels sounds (phonetics), it's rhythm, it's history (literature) etc. 
However someone can be drawn to become a writer not necessarily because of a deep love of language, but rather because 'Daddy was a famous writer and I want to follow in his footsteps'.  Or 'my girlfriend left me and ran off with a writer, so I'm going to prove that I'm better than the guy she ran off with, I'll become a better writer'. 
We cannot underestimate the power of contrivance on our actions and our lives. 
Some will pursue their contrived course of action to the very bitter end in spite of bad reviews and the advice of friends.  Some through contrivance might even master their craft and get some recognition yet it will be done with a strain. 
A big cause of contrivance is Social status.  Often you'll find that those we are real masters of their craft have little concern for social status when it comes to their craft.
I can think of 2 anecdotes.  One, I think was about Leonard Bernstein who was rehearsing an orchestra once and after rehearsals he mentioned that he was going that evening to watch Louis Armstrong at a Jazz club. One of the members of the orchestra was puzzled, " . . but maestro, what interest could you possibly have in that degenerate music"?  To which Bernstein answered, "For a start they keep time a lot better than you lot ever can". 

Then another anecdote is about Charlie Parker (Bird) the Jazz saxophonist.  He was walking with some friends past a bar and they heard a boogie woogie pianist playing inside.  "Man, it would be amazing to play with that guy", bird remarked.  The others were shocked.  Bird was this amazing bebop musician but they couldn't hear what bird was hearing in the boogie woogie pianist.  Bird was probably just appreciating the guys unique feel/rhythm on the piano, and recognised it as something special, while everyone else could only hear the fact that he was playing boogiewoogie.

I would imagine that someone like shakespeare or wordsworth would be similarly fascinated by inarticulate attempts of a child that is learning to speak.  They might hear qualities in it that most people wouldn't. 

To conclude, the source of mediocrity in human endeavour is due to applying our intelligence in a contrived manner, while excellence rides on the back of Natural inclination.  Though many can rise above mediocrity by dint of sheer doggedness sometimes, even though it might not get to the level of Excellence.
Re: What Is Intelligence? by MyJoe: 4:40pm On Nov 09, 2010
^^^ That is an A-grade write-up. I agree with almost everything in it. But it hardly, I think, addresses the question of whether intelligence is an amorphous phenomenon given form by inclination. Most of our actions are indeed driven by contrivance. My friend was indeed contriving because he realised he needed to in order to advance and to "fit in". But for the reasons I have already advanced, I believe he was struggling because he lacked a certain intelligence not because he lacked a certain inclination. An important thing to remember is that inclinations are far from static - intelligences are fairly constant. And I don't think inclinations are always stronger than desire, assuming we can always separate the two. Besides, is there a particular reason contrivance cannot give form to intelligence if intelligence were amorphous?
Re: What Is Intelligence? by PastorAIO: 5:25pm On Nov 09, 2010
The point that I'm trying to make is that the various intelligences are just arbitrary constructs that Gardner has come up with and they are not distinct identifiable entities/functions in their own right (with perhaps an organ each).  If they were then Gardner would have to demonstrate which part of the brain (or organ) is in charge of which intelligence and demonstrate that that part of the brain is attenuated in the person that lacks that particular intelligence. 

On the other hand I'm saying that Intelligence is simply the ability to receive and process information regardless of what the information is.  That some people excel in one area of endeavour while others excel in other areas is due, not to have different distinct types of intelligence but rather due to having different inclinations.  There are as many different inclinations, or combinations of inclinations, as there are, were, and will be human beings.  To catalogue them all Gardnerian style will leave us with an endless list of intelligences.  (I might yet regret I said this cos I do think there is a way of cataloguing, not only intelligence, but information and the entirety of phenomenal existence.  But that is another story.  That system as little to do with Gardner's in any case.)

You are right that Inclination is not static.  A six year old boy has no interest in girls.  He positively can't stand them.  7 years later something starts to stir and he starts to find them  . . . hmmm, yummy . . . .

I'm not quite sure what you mean by inclinations being stronger than desire.  Please expand on that.

I do accept that Intelligence can be applied to contrivance.  In fact when I was thinking about my previous post I also thought of the possibility of great musicians like Duke Ellington who said that the reason he decided to play piano was because he realised that whenever someone sat down to play a piano there was always a pretty girl at the end of the piano staring at the player with adoring eyes.
However I think that though the initial attraction to an activity may be due to ulterior motive eventually the person has to discover that there is in fact a natural inclination for the thing otherwise his efforts would not bare fruit. 

I do believe that contrivance can sharpen your intelligence for a certain activity however what it cannot do is bring it to a degree of Excellence.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

My Problem With Atheist / If Lucifer Sinned, Why Can't We? / Church Of Satan Gives You Joy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.