Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,272 members, 7,829,598 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:21 AM

30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' (43993 Views)

30 Students Of Ambrose Alli University Took Exams, Graduated While Living Abroad / Borno Nursing School Suspended 30 Students For Not Welcoming Buhari / EFCC Storms LAUTECH, 30 Students Arrested So Far (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 9:04am On Aug 08, 2019
If u need financial assistance to pay off loan or for personal assistance..
we have the money to fund you,
We give fund ranging from 200k to 5m within 3hrs....we are PAGE MFB,check my signature for more detail..
NB. Is for salary earners only and resident in lagos and ibadan
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Charmingpet: 9:07am On Aug 08, 2019
Mightyhaiz:
How can all 30 students be takin pictures on the bridge? Moreover,what does it matter what they were doing on the bridge,..? Taking pictures on a bridge is now a taboo? Was there a signpost against taking pictures on the bridge?

This info is absolutely unnecessary,and a slap on the memory of the dead
aside that, how can they be taking selfie while it's raining at 11:45pm on the bridge. Oga VC this ur talk no follow, say the truth

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 9:12am On Aug 08, 2019
My brother is a student of this school

this is what he told me

1) The bridge was not built by the school: according to him..the students kept clamouring for a bridge but the authority didn't bulge.. cos of that some sect of students contributed to construct that makeshift bridge

2) The SUG kept asking the authorities to either upgrade the bridge or build another one as the said bridge was showing signs of fault but the sch authorities didn't just care

3)Students were coming back from night class as it's the exam period

4)More than 8 people died

5) Some were rescued alive but died due to poor emergency response and rubbish sch clinic

Hence, the students protested, destroyed some buildings and were sent home

This is a case of negligence from the school authorities... no students will take selfie in the middle of the night on a faulty bridge after it rained during their exam period

Nigeria is ffuccked

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Enyimbamercedes: 9:15am On Aug 08, 2019
adanny01:

The responsibility of a structural engineer is to predict forces on a structure. He is fully responsible for predicting dynamic and static loads on a bridge. He had no excuse not to estimate static loads on this bridge so he failed. The school needs to take responsibility or pick the scape goat who is the engineer not blame the victims. That's an insult to common sense.

I bet you, the Civil Engineering dept was never consulted on that structure let alone been designed by a qualified engr for that matter.

The VC knows that every responsibility will fall at his table so he is diverting attention from himself.

So maybe they would have included in his brief that the bridge would double as a selfie platform. His static design calculation may have been for maximum 10 people and not 30. Why over design? A bridge is a crossing and should ideally have constantly moving load and not what happened.

This isn’t to absolve the engineer but we have the benefit of hindsight to say he should have been able to predict but you can never predict human behavior. There is a Murphy’s law that states if they are many ways to do something and one way would lead to a disaster, some one will do it

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by adetes: 9:22am On Aug 08, 2019
Is this one a bridge
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nemesis909: 9:28am On Aug 08, 2019
The authorities did not maintain due diligence as regards Health and Safety concerning the failed bridge.

A structure such as that should have been subject of severe warnings during classes, using fliers and definitely with signposts either side of the bridge.

I do not doubt the use of the bridge as a platform for selfies - this present generation often display unbelievable traits that can baffle the most renowned psychologist.

However, the school management ought to be ashamed of itself for not championing Health and safety.

Many of the lecturers within the school must have gone to advanced nations at one point or the other.
What did they bring back to improve the standard of their work place?

Shame.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nemesis909: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:

So maybe they would have included in his brief that the bridge would double as a selfie platform. His static design calculation may have been for maximum 10 people and not 30. Why over design? A bridge is a crossing and should ideally have constantly moving load and not what happened.

This isn’t to absolve the engineer but we have the benefit of hindsight to say he should have been able to predict but you can never predict human behavior. There is a Murphy’s law that states if they are many ways to do something and one way would lead to a disaster, some one will do it

Please read my post.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 9:29am On Aug 08, 2019
Naijafull19:
1. Basically the bridge was bearing a load it was not designed to bear, hence the collapse.

2. Which makes sense....though when the folk were designing the bridge, they should have taken into account possibility of higher load ie..buildiing it with adequate planning for any eventualities.

Modified

I advise anyone quoting me to insult me to read my points slowly, especially point number 2. Thank you very much.

You can also criticise me without personal insults. I think I have made my point without insults. Thank you again

Finally...here is what the VC said...

Which validates my two points...that a heavy sudden load caused the collapse, and that in building the bridge they should have taken that into account..the possibility of a heavy load.

Modified 2

Anyone who quotes me to insult me or curse me will be reported to the mods. I did not insult anyone, and I expect that as an adult you can make your point sans abuse.

You're obviously not an engineer. Continue crying to the mods, and also, be ready for more insultsgrin

That vice chancellor would have been relieved of his appointment and subjected to disciplinary action, in civilised societies. He would also have several lawsuits hanging around his neck too, ideally.

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by stankezzy: 9:35am On Aug 08, 2019
Naijafull19:
1. Basically the bridge was bearing a load it was not designed to bear, hence the collapse.

2. Which makes sense....though when the folk were designing the bridge, they should have taken into account possibility of higher load ie..buildiing it with adequate planning for any eventualities.

Modified

I advise anyone quoting me to insult me to read my points slowly, especially point number 2. Thank you very much.

You can also criticise me without personal insults. I think I have made my point without insults. Thank you again

Which validates my two points...that a heavy sudden load caused the collapse, and that in building the bridge they should have taken that into account..the possibility of a heavy load.

Modified 2

Anyone who quotes me to insult me or curse me will be reported to the mods. I did not insult anyone, and I expect that as an adult you can make your point sans abuse.
why can't I quote u or insult u , na u get this forum abi u pass everybody here way people de insult anyhow

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Nobody: 9:46am On Aug 08, 2019
adanny01:

The responsibility of a structural engineer is to predict forces on a structure. He is fully responsible for predicting dynamic and static loads on a bridge. He had no excuse not to estimate static loads on this bridge so he failed. The school needs to take responsibility or pick the scape goat who is the engineer not blame the victims. That's an insult to common sense.

I bet you, the Civil Engineering dept was never consulted on that structure let alone been designed by a qualified engr for that matter.

The VC knows that every responsibility will fall at his table so he is diverting attention from himself.

You are right about that. The contractor isn't probably qualified and has no consultants in his company.
I see a contractor being given a job in Abu, he does everything by himself. He's the engineer and q.s

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by success1smyn(m): 9:52am On Aug 08, 2019
femi4:
What's the definition of a bridge

ore that type of bridge in a public place is a death trap, a university for that matter.
Chrysz:
because it's not built for standing to take selfie.

and you think students will be talking selfies at that time (11:45pm), after a flood and during exam period? My friend if you believe that then you must be buhari's brother.

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Lugianostar(m): 9:57am On Aug 08, 2019
Always having a no reason to kajoring with people lives!!!

You have no reason whatsoever to say anything at this point in time that people are mourning for their dear ones you killed with your innovationless brains!

We don't take responsibility in Nigeria but always want to come up with flimzy excuses

Tietiary institutions are not lagoon or mortuary where you won't expect crowd coming up for a group pixel or selfie. Every moment of an undergraduates count and for you to have a notable memories of them, you need pictures and that was what does girls were doing.

Blood suckers leaders everywhere!!!

Big time flop talking.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Shittabay4nija(m): 9:57am On Aug 08, 2019
The university claims is a complete assumption How can educated people be deceiving the general public that the bridge is design for less people than what is carrying .
I must tell you that the bridge was never design for .
This has become a usual occurrence in Nigeria that we do things anyhow .
A citadel of learning doing project without engaging the required professional .
As an experience persons in the construction industry I expected the Bauchi state chapter of NSE to make a brief statement on the university claims .
We have Outrightly refuse educational guidance and we allow ignorants to give us direction .
This is the perception of the statement from the university.
We need to stand putting things right cos an error of today can affect us indirectly tomorrow.

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by advocatebaba(m): 10:03am On Aug 08, 2019
Naijafull19:

Modified

Modified 2

This person dey fear ooo. Abi u go get diabetes if them insult u

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by africanusvu(m): 10:23am On Aug 08, 2019
nellynonso:
I pray for you not to die like them and when your news is posted like theirs, we’ll blame your ghost too for your death. You don’t talk ill of a dead person, it’s called respect for the dead so you don’t die like them. Be wise. Don’t blame good people for their death!
.bros.Bleep death.who is afraid of death.what we ar botherd is not for the dead but we speak so we the living can learn bf we die.my coments ar based on that of the vc.let he take responsibility of my coments.OP claimed more than fifteen died.then how many survive.add fifteen dead to the maany that survive and see if the vc is lying.that tiny monkey bridge is too small for even ur fofteen static load
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by litaninja(m): 11:02am On Aug 08, 2019
My brother, How do students, who have had that bridge for years, suddenly decide, 30 at a time, to take selfies, at midnight, after a downpour?
Pray tell...

Naijafull19:

Modified

Modified 2

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Rajosh(m): 11:18am On Aug 08, 2019
KahlDrogo:
If indeed the VC said that, then he must be a bit dumb.
A bit dumb?
he's very very dumb to think we'll buy this lie.

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Rajosh(m): 11:21am On Aug 08, 2019
the dummy has mouth to talk. The parents should charge the school to court.

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Antichristus: 11:28am On Aug 08, 2019
This is a Nigerian University vice chancellor spewing absolute rubbish. tongue

3 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Ebere2020(m): 11:34am On Aug 08, 2019
The bridge collapsed at 11:45 in the night. Who takes pictures at that time or is that a mistake?
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by adanny01(m): 11:44am On Aug 08, 2019
Enyimbamercedes:

Why 10? Is 10 the maximum number of people the bridge platform can contain? How did you arrive at 10? As long as there is space to accommodate 50 people, the bridge should have designed to carry 50.

3rd mainland brigde should have collapse by now if what you are saying was applied to its design. A bridge is primarily designed for live loads aka dynamic loads, with the hold ups on 3rd mainland taking the entire bridge, the designer could not have predicted static load of hold up cars among the dead load of the bridge. But the bridge is standing strong. Ask yourself why its still standing?

If you look at that collapse bridge what do you see?

I will tell you what i see.

I see a combination of 2 things that caused the failure and both were not estimated to happen at the same time.

1. Number of people on the bridge
2. The force of the flood current

The bridge would not have collapsed if there was no such current and people on top of it at the same time. On a good day, with no such current, the brigde would not have collapse with that many people on it. The bridge collapsed towards the downstream, it means the water assisted in pushing the bridge till it collapsed. A steel structure like this is expected to sway but recover, recovery is impossible with such current if not calculated in design.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Jesutofunmi85: 11:51am On Aug 08, 2019
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]Big lie, how will they be taking selfie on a bridge in the middle of the night in the bush for that matter. Pls do the needed and stop looking for excuse for your ignorance that claimed the lives of innocent souls.
tundemania:
The Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi, has denied it is searching for missing students after the collapse of a bridge in the school reportedly claimed the lives of four students.

A metallic bridge linking the hostels and lecture halls collapsed at about 11.45pm on Monday following a downpour which caused flooding in the school. Seven students were reportedly injured, with some missing.

But ATBU Vice-Chancellor, Muhammad Abdullazeez, who conventional Bauchi official head Bala Mohammed, who rewarded him a concern outing on Wednesday, held they shortly establish out that three students died.

He said, “The management felt that it was necessary to construct a metal bridge for between 10 and 15 people at a time. It was not meant for static loads but for dynamic loads, that means, you don’t stand on it, you just pass.

The reports we received from some of the students were that when the rain had stopped and the students were about crossing, they found the scene excellent for them to take selfies.

So they started from two and before you could realise it, there were more than 30 students on the bridge standing, and that bridge was not meant for people to stand.

Some of the students could not pass and had to also stand, and the bridge suddenly collapsed and that was how we lost three students. As of today we don’t have any student missing.

Based on our records, no student is missing for now. Three students –two from Kogi State and one from Benue State – were confirmed dead. Two females and a male and they were all from the department of business education and management studies.

Abdullazeez said they had set up a committee to investigate the incident.

He thanked the state government and the security agencies for their intervention.

The governor commiserated with the families of the deceased, the school authorities and students over the incident.

Mohammed said the visit was to assess the areas that required urgent attention, pledging that the state government would fix the collapsed bridge.

Source; https://maniagist.com/2019/08/08/30-students-were-on-bridge-taking-selfies-abtu-vice-chancellor/

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Smartwave: 12:18pm On Aug 08, 2019
success1smyn:
Why on earth will a bridge on school campus not be able to hold 30 students at a time?
foot path bridge. On a foot path not a motorable. Okada don't even pass there at all.

Nigeria youths are just stupid and wrongly civilized.

Students without focus, nothing in there brain,
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by koyyess: 12:24pm On Aug 08, 2019
Darkseid:
30 students were taking selfies around 11pm, make this old men take softly dey lie na.

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by success1smyn(m): 12:33pm On Aug 08, 2019
Smartwave:
foot path bridge. On a foot path not a motorable. Okada don't even pass there at all.

Nigeria youths are just stupid and wrongly civilized.

Students without focus, nothing in there brain,
you mean you believe they were actually taken selfies at 11:45pm? Just after flood? And during exam period?

2 Likes

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by blackboy(m): 12:53pm On Aug 08, 2019
ILLICITblood:
My brother is a student of this school

this is what he told me

1) The bridge was not built by the school: according to him..the students kept clamouring for a bridge but the authority didn't bulge.. cos of that some sect of students contributed to construct that makeshift bridge

2) The SUG kept asking the authorities to either upgrade the bridge or build another one as the said bridge was showing signs of fault but the sch authorities didn't just care

3)Students were coming back from night class as it's the exam period

4)More than 8 people died

5) Some were rescued alive but died due to poor emergency response and rubbish sch clinic

Hence, the students protested, destroyed some buildings and were sent home

This is a case of negligence from the school authorities... no students will take selfie in the middle of the night on a faulty bridge after it rained during their exam period

Nigeria is ffuccked
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Coolgent(m): 1:56pm On Aug 08, 2019
Stupid VC!

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by Coolgent(m): 1:58pm On Aug 08, 2019
Ayotemide:
Who takes pictures at midnight, in a flood on a bridge?!

This is disrespect to the dead; this man has no business being the VC anymore. What a monumental biological waste.
Dont mind him,
He should be ashame of lying to helpless souls, anyway karma is a bitch

1 Like

Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by ubcandid(m): 2:14pm On Aug 08, 2019
unite4real:

Read the bolded over and over. Am I the only one that couldn't understand it?

Thought I was alone on that too.
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by bizzibodi(m): 2:51pm On Aug 08, 2019
Who build a bridge with pan & hollow metals?
Re: 30 Students Were On Bridge Taking Selfies 'ABTU Vice Chancellor' by babalonimi: 3:31pm On Aug 08, 2019
This VC s a fantastic failure.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Question Paper Of A School In Abuja For Primary Four Pupils / Reasons Why First Class Students Never Become First Class People In Life / Tallest University In Nigeria To Unveil In Anambra State(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.