Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,228 members, 7,815,293 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:17 AM

Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? (14481 Views)

How I Decided To Learn Handiwork At 45. / Advice Me, I’m A Graduate, I’m Considering Learning An Handiwork / Business Or Building A House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by kelophili23: 11:51am On Aug 10, 2019
I'm 33yrs old married with 2 kids I'm a Carpenter and part time okada rider I don't see much carpentry work and I want to learn another handwork work to get me busy often and provide more for my family and plan for the future.

I also have #150k which my mind is telling me to start up a business with, but I don't know the kind of business I can do with that amount, but really I do believe in handwork pls guys I need your advice on the kind of other handwork I can learn or the kind of business I can start up with #150k thanks

I will be in comments section

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by healthserve(m): 12:19pm On Aug 10, 2019
Can you expand the business with the money or open another branch so you can get jobs from multiple sources. Won't be a bad idea if you have three carpentry workshops in different areas and coordinate the three together

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by kelophili23: 12:25pm On Aug 10, 2019
My carpentry work is Mobil I don't have a work shop I only work on buildings e. g roofing of houses

6 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by kelophili23: 12:27pm On Aug 10, 2019
healthserve:
Can you expand the business with the money or open another branch so you can get jobs from multiple sources. Won't be a bad idea if you have three carpentry workshops in different areas and coordinate the three together

My carpentry work is Mobil I don't have a work shop, I work on buildings e. g roofing of houses

4 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Kenoxman(m): 12:55pm On Aug 10, 2019
You already hav a handiwork, all u need do is to improve on what you already hav.
See, starting over to learn another handiwork might take longer tym, plus u already have a family u ar responsible for.
I suggest u improve on ur carpentry skill. My mind tells me u belong to the group of old school carpenters who make/repair local table, chairs,desk etc hence the name "carpenter"
See,capentery has taken a whole new face in this era to the extent carpenters hav now taken new names like furniture maker, cabinet maker, interior decorator, designer etc. Cos the name "carpenter" is archaic & some how local.
My point is that u should upgrade to the level of new generation "carpenters" who make beautiful sofa,office furniture, wardrobe, dinning set,name them.
The game has changed & u hav to change wit it or stay out of biz. Go improve urself,go with the trend & see urself at the top.
If you hav to become an apprentice to anyone,pls be humble and do So. In the long run u will look back at this day & be happy u did.
Improving on ur skill is far beta than learning a totally different skill.
All the best.

108 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by healthserve(m): 12:57pm On Aug 10, 2019
I want to recommend s change of work completely. You have a wife and kids and need something that can give you daily income while you can take up carpentry projects on project basis. Its a long thing to type here. You need financial mentorship. I can talk with you for free if you can find time to tie me down for two hours. But its on the condition you must take action. Many Nigerians like to gather and gather information wothiutntaking action which is why I hate counselling people and stopped it

3 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by kelophili23: 5:18pm On Aug 10, 2019
healthserve:
I want to recommend s change of work completely. You have a wife and kids and need something that can give you daily income while you can take up carpentry projects on project basis. Its a long thing to type here. You need financial mentorship. I can talk with you for free if you can find time to tie me down for two hours. But its on the condition you must take action. Many Nigerians like to gather and gather information wothiutntaking action which is why I hate coul
nselling people and stopped it
How can I contact you pls.
Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by kelophili23: 5:22pm On Aug 10, 2019
Kenoxman:
You already hav a handiwork, all u need do is to improve on what you already hav.
See, starting over to learn another handiwork might take longer tym, plus u already have a family u ar responsible for.
I suggest u improve on ur carpentry skill. My mind tells me u belong to the group of old school carpenters who make/repair local table, chairs,desk etc hence the name "carpenter"
See,capentery has taken a whole new face in this era to the extent carpenters hav now taken new names like furniture maker, cabinet maker, interior decorator, designer etc. Cos the name "carpenter" is archaic & some how local.
My point is that u should upgrade to the level of new generation "carpenters" who make beautiful sofa,office furniture, wardrobe, dinning set,name them.
The game has changed & u hav to change wit it or stay out of biz. Go improve urself,go with the trend & see urself at the top.
If you hav to become an apprentice to anyone,pls be humble and do So. In the long run u will look back at this day & be happy u did.
Improving on ur skill is far beta than learning a totally different skill.
All the best.
My carpentry work is Mobil I don't have a work shop, I work on buildings e. g roofing of houses
Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by healthserve(m): 5:44pm On Aug 10, 2019
kelophili23:
How can I contact you pls.

If you're in lag let's see. Your frame of mind isn't good for business. Don't start tet until.youbspeak to someone who can boost your spirit

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Kenoxman(m): 9:03pm On Aug 10, 2019
kelophili23:
Well then, I believe u hav a group u normally work with, that is, u share contracts among yourselves,that way u hav work to do on a regular. Or is it a case of ppl not building houses much in ur area? What about changing location where there is more opportunity ?
If u must learn another skill, then ur best bet shd be a skill that is related to building & not outside of it.
0n the other hand, if u consider biz, then let it be selling of building materials.
U shd consider capitalizing on the experience u hav gathered over the years,instead of acquiring new one.

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by RuddyFusion(m): 8:11am On Apr 24, 2021
Both if you can

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by yesloaded: 8:12am On Apr 24, 2021
Although this thread is old but combining both won't be bad idea

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Crimrburster: 8:12am On Apr 24, 2021
Both

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Enudapan: 8:13am On Apr 24, 2021
Nah eh! No qualms
This is so unsophisticated

You said you are a carpenter
That's already a good handwork
If you can brand or repacked it well,

kelophili23:

Now they above is the problem
I think you don't get enough job cause you don't have a fixed location or office,
Y not search for a suitable site (like maybe near upcoming residential areas or near a timber market) just areas where carpenters are easily hired, and set up a workshop with the little you have
Just try to make it sophisticated, even if it means printing a complementary card cos Carpentry works is not like plumbing work, which can be largely Mobile .
My opinion shaa

5 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by BigDawsNet: 8:14am On Apr 24, 2021
smiley Just learn hand work
Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by blinking001(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2021
Business. What business can 150k start sef? Wahala

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Coldie(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2021
2019 thread... For real when the person who needs the advice would have moved on with his life

9 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by iampeterben(m): 8:14am On Apr 24, 2021
kelophili23:
I'm 33yrs old married with 2 kids I'm a Carpenter and part time okada rider I don't see much carpentry work and I want to learn another handwork work to get me busy often and provide more for my family and plan for the future.

I also have #150k which my mind is telling me to start up a business with, but I don't know the kind of business I can do with that amount, but really I do believe in handwork pls guys I need your advice on the kind of other handwork I can learn or the kind of business I can start up with #150k thanks

POS business can be cool add up extra 50k and you are good to go.

2 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Nobody: 8:14am On Apr 24, 2021
kelophili23:

Hmmm

Do you want to hear the truth? You are your own enemy. And if care is not taking, you will starve to death, and suffer your children. Obviously, you have a good "handiwork". Listen, I tested a carpenter with a job recently. My normal self always buy materials so I do not hear stories, but I wanted to go into a partnership with this guy on something else. So, I deliberately gave him money for materials to test his integrity. He over billed me, and I overlooked it. He felt I did not know the cost of materials. And I counted the whole amount neatly for him. He got the money, and start giving me excuses for not doing my job after spending my money, and he didnt buy the materials. I just kept smiling inside. He dribbled me for good 4 weeks. And when he came with materials, he came with inferior. He wrote 2" by 2" wood in his estimates and came with 2" by 1". He wrote a strong and expensive wood which I know and can identify, but came with an inferior. I said nothing and I was watching him. Of course I was still discussing the business with him. Then, he started giving me other excuses. And then, I ran out of patience, and I asked him if I should call someone else, he said I was free to do it. Later, i told myself that I would not be the one to chase him, but he would chase himself. Of course, I endured, and one day he shouted at me on the phone and told me to go and call another person. That was when I rang my contact and I arrested him. I calculated all the amount he has cheated me, and I got all back neatly. Then, I told him the huge opportunity which he lost. His father (very old man) was there at the police station when I told him, and the old man cried bitterly. That was how I left him alone.

Oga, the opportunities are there for you. You are riding okada cos you want easy money. And riding okada is not easy too, so you will still complain. You have a good source of income. Treat your customers well, and things will be fine. But almost all artisans are their own wahala. The way you make your bed is how you will sleep on it.

If you like, listen....if you like....keep jumping from one profession or job to another. You know the number of people you have disappointed and cheated to the extent people do not patronize you or refer anyone to you again. I know because this is how all of you always end up.

Change your ways and see how things will change; else, your children will curse you when they are big, and say it to your face how useless you are.

Goodluck!

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Afonjashapmouth: 8:16am On Apr 24, 2021
My Token

Carpentry is lucrative if you can explore the world of social media in as much as your finishing is bam and you don't stop at just the normal Naija local carpentry level. However brother look into little things that are not happening around you and invest into it or sponsor your woman on that if she is reliable. E.g Phone accessories is always lucrative anywhere, anytime no matter the numbers of sellers. That should boost your finance while you wait on a breakthrough in your handwork.

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by doggedfighter(f): 8:16am On Apr 24, 2021
Don't learn anything new. Improve on carpentry and furniture work. Carpenters are much sought after.

Network more and advertise yourself more.

Add building materials business on the side like someone suggested.
Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Ekejoestar(m): 8:16am On Apr 24, 2021
Do the two

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by stanliwise(m): 8:16am On Apr 24, 2021
kelophili23:

Business sense is a skill of it own. You have to know that.
In other words everything we do can be seen as a skill or the other. So basically now the question is whether to learn business skill together with your handwork.
I don’t need to answer that question, business sense would sell your skill and bring out the value in it.

CEO are skilled men with business sense. Staffs are people with just skills

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by emmanuel596(m): 8:17am On Apr 24, 2021
Business
Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Heavy8m: 8:17am On Apr 24, 2021
You don't need more than 1 kid. But I guess you will have 3 more children

2 Likes

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Dymaco(m): 8:18am On Apr 24, 2021
Don't learn new skills rather improve on the one you already have. I will advise you to learn modern carpentry. These modern carpenters are making a kill in making or refurbishing old furniture, wall shelf, tables, chairs etc.

Instead of finding new skills, use that money and effort and learn about how to repair or make household furniture. All these people telling you to pm, don't pay them penny.

Poor scammers full nairaland. What I mean by poor scammers is that some can dent their name with scam for #1000 eg issa Isaac

1 Like

Re: Business Or Handiwork What Should I Do? by Nobody: 8:19am On Apr 24, 2021
You will still run business on your handiwork na

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Was Last ICAN November Diet? / What Certifications Should I Enrol For As A Fresh Chemical Engineering Grad / What Was Your Childhood Ambition And Which Work Are You Doing Now? (Pic)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.