Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,631 members, 7,809,358 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

What Is Faith? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is Faith? (4581 Views)

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria / Is Faith Incompatible With Reason? / Word Of Faith:what Is Faith? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 2:51am On Oct 20, 2010
The word faith might have broad meaning and a very wide perspective viewing from diffrent angle. I simply put it as the ability to have a conviction of the believe of the unseen be it supreme being or deity or otherwise.
While looking carefully its seems every individual has his capacity in the believe of unseen i.e level of faith but generally must individual with similar level of faith tends to converge at one point or the other.

It might be very simple for a christain to believe that jesus is God in human flesh whlie on the other hand is solving a rocket engine's equations
to others

Similarly while a muslim might find it smooth in accepting his set of believe a hindu might see it as brainless.
The atheist on the on the other hand " mr i got nothing to loose"  feels all the above as false and weird and equally feels everything must have a 'proof' quickly forgeting that so many of his concept are still in a 'theory state' and its goes on and on and on. . . . . . . . Least i forget the deist " always feels nobody should right " will wave with simplicity all organized religion" on the notion of percieved flaws in the dogmas.

So what is faith to you ? ?
Re: What Is Faith? by mazaje(m): 2:12pm On Oct 20, 2010
Religious faith is belief in things that aren't based on fact. . . . .
Re: What Is Faith? by JeSoul(f): 2:25pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino have you seen the movie "Book Of Eli"? May I strongly recommend you give it a watch if you'd like to gain some measure of understanding of what faith is (to many people at least) and about why people who choose have faith.

Also check out this thread:
A Treatise On Faith And The Word Of Faith
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-381608.0.html
Re: What Is Faith? by nuclearboy(m): 3:09pm On Oct 20, 2010
mazaje:

Atheist Faith is belief in things that aren't based on facts but that "evolving" science believes today. However, scientific "facts" change daily
Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 5:41pm On Oct 20, 2010
how can we be sure that those things are not facts in other level of energy or possible in the later feature may be science will be able to make inventions that that will make them visible. Eg i personally thought UFO's are mirage not until last month i was out in the night and my friend notice  two dumbell shape like object moving in a calculated cyclic motion for a while with a bright light like a car head light. I was stunt and that change alot in my perception of things i used to feel arent there, 
mazaje:

Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 6:09pm On Oct 20, 2010
What an intresting and amazing thread!
Will check out for the film when am less busy

JeSoul:

Rhino have you seen the movie "Book Of Eli"? May I strongly recommend you give it a watch if you'd like to gain some measure of understanding of what faith is (to many people at least) and about why people who choose have faith.

Re: What Is Faith? by Kay17: 8:11pm On Oct 20, 2010
It is thought to be an alternate path to Truth, powered by superstition.
Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 8:35pm On Oct 20, 2010
How do you mean?

Kay 17:

It is thought to be an alternate path to Truth, powered by superstition.
Re: What Is Faith? by JeSoul(f): 9:08pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

how can we be sure that those things are not facts in other level of energy or possible in the later feature may be science will be able to make inventions that that will make them visible. Eg[b] i personally thought UFO's are mirage not until last month i was out in the night and my friend notice two dumbell shape like object moving in a calculated cyclic motion for a while with a bright light like a car head light. I was stunt and that change alot in my perception of things i used to feel arent there,[/b]
Very interesting Rhino. Care to expound a bit on how your perceptions have changed?
Re: What Is Faith? by sexy74(m): 9:12pm On Oct 20, 2010
@ poster
Hebrews chapter 11 verse 1 ( eleven verse one) defined faiths as

substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
(The king james version)

what you have to know is that what one person uses to exercise faith might not be used by another person.

E.g someone that is broke and has no source of getting money for something he needs but one way or the other gets it miracously by exercising faith that he will get it but dont know how. To a wealthy man he might not see this as faith he might see it as laziness.

Going by hebrew 11 V 1 anything you hope and evidebce of that thing manisfesting or coming to reality is faith.

Thats why Jesus said if we have faith like a muster seed we can move mountains.

A muster seed is small but grows into a big three when planted you will never believe that it is that same small seed that brought forth the three.

You can exercise faith in little things and earn big results.
Wishing you the best in your faithful life.

Re: What Is Faith? by e36991: 9:21pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

how can we be sure that those things are not facts in other level of energy or possible in the later feature may be science will be able to make inventions that that will make them visible.

Eg i personally thought UFO's are mirage not until last month i was out in the night and my friend notice two dumbell shape like object moving in a calculated cyclic motion for a while with a bright light like a car head light.

I was stunt and that change alot in my perception of things i used to feel arent there, 

JeSoul:

Very interesting Rhino. Care to expound a bit on how your perceptions have changed?

@^^^

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-476627.0.html

The strange light appeared to glow as it swept through the night sky, to the alarm of local residents

Another photo from a different angle which shows a wide trail behind the object as it zips through the sky

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-476627.0.html
Re: What Is Faith? by mazaje(m): 9:49pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

how can we be sure that those things are not facts in other level of energy or possible in the later feature may be science will be able to make inventions that that will make them visible. Eg i personally thought UFO's are mirage not until last month i was out in the night and my friend notice  two dumbell shape like object moving in a calculated cyclic motion for a while with a bright light like a car head light. I was stunt and that change alot in my perception of things i used to feel arent there, 

What things are you talking about?. . . .As for the UFO thingy that could be anything, so why speculate wildly since it could be anything. . . .
Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 10:07pm On Oct 20, 2010
^^ mazaje! A mun gafara da wannan karambani. . . . .sai a hankali.
Re: What Is Faith? by mazaje(m): 10:20pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

Maza maza maza. . . . .Hmmmm sai a hankali, ya harkoki?. . . . .Da fatan kana lafiya. . . .
Re: What Is Faith? by e36991: 10:30pm On Oct 20, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

mazaje:

Maza maza maza. . . . .Hmmmm sai a hankali, ya harkoki?. . . . .Da fatan kana lafiya. . . .

@ ^^^

Hausa? 

. . . but why the slagging and abuse
Re: What Is Faith? by aletheia(m): 3:02am On Oct 21, 2010
. . .faith is believing God. And it is based on evidence.

JeSoul:

^^^Great thread! How come it ended so abruptly? O where art thou, Viaro?
Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 4:01am On Oct 21, 2010
Verrrrry wrong! We just exchange pleasentry
cos we share values and we are e-brothers. So i suggest you re-read, re-understand and re-reply. . . .or go and re-learn hasua cos you are far below average.

e36991:

@ ^^^

Hausa? 

. . . but why the slagging and abuse
. .
Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 4:08am On Oct 21, 2010
Please Can faith and evidence be in thesame passage? I thought thats why its called faith? Then how can we varify faith within time frame and a known proceedure like Hiv screening?

aletheia:

. . .faith is believing God. And it is based on evidence.

Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 4:35am On Oct 21, 2010
My bad how can i miss this.
It makes me understand that simply because i dont believe in something doesnt mean its not real and my free will and ability to make good or bad decision, selection will definately speak against me if am caught up in this line. Spritually

. . . But scientifically i still cant figure out how an aerodynamic object of that size can be self propell and what if there is an alien threat? Are those objects manned or they are some mini drones or intellignt ariel vehicles? What if they are secret spy planes or objects or black magic, voodoo, witch craft? Thise questions keep on popping in on my mind daily. . .

Venire dentro.

JeSoul:

Re: What Is Faith? by e36991: 7:48am On Oct 21, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

Verrrrry wrong! We just exchange pleasentry

cos we share values and we are e-brothers.

So i suggest you re-read, re-understand and re-reply . . .

or go and re-learn hasua cos you are far below average.

@Rhino.3dm

It wasnt me. I tried honestly . . .

Blame it on http://www.stars21.com/translator/hausa_to_english.html
Re: What Is Faith? by Rhino3dm: 11:51am On Oct 21, 2010
Lol! capito.

e36991:

@Rhino.3dm

It wasnt me. I tried honestly . . .

Blame it on http://www.stars21.com/translator/hausa_to_english.html

Re: What Is Faith? by UyiIredia(m): 1:15pm On Oct 21, 2010
Faith = Belief
Re: What Is Faith? by JeSoul(f): 2:57pm On Oct 21, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

My bad how can i miss this.
It makes me understand that simply because i dont believe in something doesnt mean its not real and my free will and ability to make good or bad decision, selection will definately speak against me if am caught up in this line. Spritually
Interesting. I like a lot. In prodding you some more . . . have you come to any kind of determination on how you will make these 'decisions' from here on? I mean how will you go about sifting wheat from chaff, what to believe or not as plausible or not?

And the tail-end of your quote "selection will definately speak against me if am caught up in this line", once again, please care to explain a bit more?

. . . But scientifically i still cant figure out how an aerodynamic object of that size can be self propell and what if there is an alien threat? Are those objects manned or they are some mini drones or intellignt ariel vehicles? What if they are secret spy planes or objects or black magic, voodoo, witch craft? Thise questions keep on popping in on my mind daily. . .

Venire dentro.

All valid questions I think. And I also think beyond getting solid answers to them, more important is to ask those questions in the first place.
Re: What Is Faith? by Mudley313: 3:01pm On Oct 21, 2010
[center][/center]
Re: What Is Faith? by Kay17: 3:27pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^ spot on! Faith is never a reliable way to the truth. If it was, it would converge with reason.
Re: What Is Faith? by aletheia(m): 3:48pm On Oct 21, 2010
Rhino.3dm:

Please Can faith and evidence be in thesame passage? I thought thats why its called faith? Then how can we varify faith within time frame and a known proceedure like Hiv screening?

The popular misconception of faith is that it like a blind leap in the dark. It is not. God provides enough evidence for us to believe Him, but believing Him subsequently requires that we step out or move forward in obedience to His precepts.
A simple way that I can put it is this: You believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, why?. . . based on the prior evidence before you. Based on the belief that the sun will rise, you subsequently make plans for tomorrow.

When you read the bible, you realize that the appeal to people to believe was often based on an appeal to the evidence before them.

John 10:37-38. If I do not the works of my Father, believe me not. But if I do, though ye believe not me, believe the works: that ye may know, and believe, that the Father is in me, and I in him.

Acts 26:26 For the king knoweth of these things, before whom also I speak freely: for I am persuaded that none of these things are hidden from him; for this thing was not done in a corner.

In your search for truth, you might want to consider reading the stories of Frank Morison and Josh McDowell; two former sceptics/atheists who considered the evidence and decided to believe.
Re: What Is Faith? by JeSoul(f): 4:33pm On Oct 21, 2010
aletheia:

A simple way that I can put it is this: You believe that the sun will rise tomorrow, why?. . . based on the prior evidence before you. Based on the belief that the sun will rise, you subsequently make plans for tomorrow.

Aletheia how body? smiley

I like the above, and is sort of where I was heading with Rhino. His beliefs on things "impossible" in the present and future have changed based on a singular experience (or should we now say "prior evidence"?). He will subsequently approach such matters with a different mindset. This is not altogether different from the christian I would submit.
Re: What Is Faith? by UyiIredia(m): 4:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
LCD of Science & Faith >>> Philosophy (QEI)
Re: What Is Faith? by aletheia(m): 4:50pm On Oct 21, 2010
JeSoul:

Aletheia how body? smiley
I dey kampe. Thanks. smiley
Re: What Is Faith? by UyiIredia(m): 4:59pm On Oct 21, 2010
Kay 17:

^^ spot on! Faith is never a reliable way to the truth.*1 If it was, it would converge with reason.*2

*1 >>> a (dogmatic) a priori

*2 >>> As a matter of fact it does converge with reason >>> the nemesis of this statement is how a negative stereotype is being spread >>> like a viral meme >>> Faith is congruent to Stupidity (i.e a lack of intelligence) >>> reason has an element of faith (belief) ipso facto and faith has an element of reason (one's intellect)

>>> Furthermore, they are both a means of inquiry into nature
Re: What Is Faith? by UyiIredia(m): 5:05pm On Oct 21, 2010
"Authority demands faith and prepares man for reason. Reason leads him on to knowledge and understanding."
- St. Augustine

>>> a inexorable reminder of schools (churches nevertheless) >>> read more here
Re: What Is Faith? by Peoplesman: 5:09pm On Oct 21, 2010
Faith , simply is 'believing on the word of a person' e.g Believing on the Word of God.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Synagogue Tragedy: The Obituary Of God Or The Obituary Of Common Sense? / This Church Banner Is Strange / Famous American Actor SYLVESTER STALLONE Has Surrender His Life To Jesus Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.