Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,445 members, 7,812,344 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media (20121 Views)

Why Are Most Nigerian Lecturers So Wicked And Heartless? / Top 10 Courses Most Nigerian Students Were Forced To Study / Akwa Ibom Science College Where Students Are Raised In Squalour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by August21(m): 12:52pm On Aug 15, 2019
As Technology advances around the World, educators and administrators are striving to use and/or create the most digitally aligned curriculum available, ranging from e-books in place of print titles to fully interactive learning management systems.

RECOMMENDED FOR YOU: 5 THINGS EVERY STUDENT MUST DO TO BE SUCCESSFUL

Why? You make ask. The reason is not far-fetched, it is simply to provide students with the best possible chance of success in an almost entirely digital world.

However, research has established that the same technology that is meant to aid in future accomplishments ends up as a distraction for most students instead?

We all know what happens when technology, such as social media and other online applications supersedes a student’s desire to engage in skill-building activities?

From careful observation, below are five skills that are often lost or poorly developed as a result of ‘addiction’ to social media by students.

Communication Skills
Writing is a part of nearly every job, however small or large a part it may be. Today, though, one of the most common complaints received from employers is that MOST job candidates cannot write properly.

The cause of this has been traced to the use of shorthand during chats on facebook, twitter and Instagram by this generation. Because most of their communication is shorthand and text, the ability to communicate effectively is challenged,”

2. Interpersonal skills

Making eye contact, holding a conversation, deportment and maintaining one’s attention span are just as critical as being able to communicate in written form, but these, too, are often lost or diminished as a result of excessive use of social media by present day Nigerian students.

Today, students are more often concerned about what’s happening on social media than they are in human to human interaction.

3. Critical Thinking

Critical thinking means to think very deeply about one’s options before taking that final decision. What must I evaluate and in which context? How do I break a subject down for proper analysis? And finally, how did I come to my conclusion? These are all key steps in solving a problem and/or making a decision. Almost all employers know this, but for students who are engrossed in retweeting, posting, commenting and ‘liking’ different posts on social media, these concepts may be all but lost on them. Why? Technology is often wrought with immediate gratification. Click a button, and your answer appears. No need to evaluate or analyze. No need to think about one’s thinking process.

4. Problem-solving skills

Another skill students are losing in this present age is problem-solving skills. This skill is critical for success in any given job because to use it effectively, you should be able to use your imagination.

People with problem –solving skills are often deep analytical thinkers. When faced with challenges they often consider the potential resolutions to any problem, and how might they be able to reach said resolutions? This type of hypothetical inventiveness and subsequent scrutiny is a skill that can rarely be found inside of a screen. Rather, it requires the ability to mentally multitask and often maintain deep and sustained thought. This however is often fractured by the fast-paced and ever-changing world of social media.

5. Reflective skills

If a problem has been solved, or a decision made, reflecting on the process is also a key step.

It is therefore a key step that ensures proper routing for future thinking.

However, once due to the instantaneous nature of much of the technology coveted by students today, decisions and problems are here and gone in a moment. Technology moves on, and so do its users. Thus, learning to reflect on one’s behaviors is a skill rarely developed by many students.

READ ALSO: 4 THINGS EVERY PARENTS SHOULD DO IF THEIR KIDS DEVELOP INTEREST IN CODING

In a fast paced World like ours, stakeholders need to brainstorm on ways or strategies that can be deployed to make sure students focus on developing these skill sets again.

Therefore, a deliberate effort has to be made by all stakeholders to not only empower students with technological skills they need to excel in today’s World but to also design solutions that will ensure that students interact with applications that would mimic real-world interactions and not just screens.

Source: https://edufirst.ng/education/5-key-skills-most-nigerian-students-are-gradually-losing-due-to-social-media/

21 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Lionsbet: 4:02pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ok.

I will come back to the post OP.

But now a two-weeks old Techno Spark 3 is up for sale, with pack, receipt and charger.

Price is 30k.

No Hassle!

Location- Tanke, Ilorin

Fast buyer needed, no time to waste.

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by donvicky2007: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
That's what we get with the introduction of tech in this dispensation.

3 Likes

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Sweetamara2: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
[quote][/quote]f to
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Kay512: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
Social media has no effect on problem-solving skill.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by DesChyko: 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
Rabbash undecided

The world is moving onto harnessing the potentials of social media to jump to the next level and someone somewhere thinks it's causing problems. As insecure as Nigeria is, you think it's safer to be plowing the environs instead?
It would be ideal to differentiate 'abuse' from 'norm'. If one abuses social media, he/she will reap the negatives. Q.E.D.

Using myself as an example, run down my posts on every social media, I refrain from using short spellings of words. It's a choice.

Are your targets more interested in social media than paying attention to you? Then forge your messages/lessons to reach them on social media, just as you did here and we got the message you could have given us face to face.

Not trying to run down your message, but it could be better expressed.

Social media is the bomb.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by martineverest(m): 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
u failed to add writing,spelling, comprehension skills

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Samusu(m): 4:03pm On Aug 15, 2019
Wisdom
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by femi4: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
Spelling and Writing skills

6 Likes

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by olayemioshiyemi: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
Aiit
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
6 Pairs of fruits that should never be mixed because they can lead to Death

1. Orange and Carrot

2. Pineapple and Milk

3. Papaya and Lemon

4. Guava and Banana

5. Banana and Lemon

6. Orange and Milk

share to save a Life

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Kriptune: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
Dear seun, pls find a way to tackle these advertisers.
It's gradually making Nairaland lose its comment section taste

4 Likes

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by KubwaBoy: 4:04pm On Aug 15, 2019
6. Cooking skills.

But they have gained skills such as sex position skills, typing skills, and so on
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by toyinjimoh(m): 4:06pm On Aug 15, 2019
some are not even mature enough to be using phones especially young teenagers
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 15, 2019
Hmmmmm..

And we're learning newer skills in return
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by eben2marketer: 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2019
grin
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by wonder233: 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2019
He did... That was covered under "communication skills"
martineverest:
u failed to add writing,spelling, comprehension skills

2 Likes

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by franksunny(m): 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2019
Lionsbet:
Ok.

I will come back to the post OP.

But now a two-weeks old Techno Spark 3 is up for sale, with pack, receipt and charger.

Price is 30k.

No Hassle!

Location- Tanke, Ilorin

Fast buyer needed, no time to waste.

I know that one cannot browse, i need stone cold Nokia 33:10 for this up coming 5G network grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by DissTroy(m): 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2019
True. Communication skills especially. It's increasingly difficult to know real medical dyslexics from those who are self-induced. Young people especially can barely write and, consequently, speak articulately. And everyone just overlooks like it's normal. Many young people can barely write letters, articles or reply messages or posts in ways that are mentally-stimulating even on, I dare add, Nairaland.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by wonder233: 4:10pm On Aug 15, 2019
This is so true... I'm appalled seeing people trying to negate this post. It shows how sadly intellectual pursuit has sunken

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by OnimiB: 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
One fact remains, our government is nuturing policies that do not contribute to youth empowerment in this country. Bet9ja is a bad and deadly act. It has rendered many youths useless. I wonder why government cannot do something about it.
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by tolexy007(m): 4:13pm On Aug 15, 2019
LillyVal:
6 Pairs of fruits that should never be mixed because they can lead to Death

1. Orange and Carrot

2. Pineapple and Milk

3. Papaya and Lemon

4. Guava and Banana

5. Banana and Lemon

6. Orange and Milk

share to save a Life

shocked
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Isoduwa(m): 4:16pm On Aug 15, 2019
wonder233:
This is so true... I'm appalled seeing people trying to negate this post. It shows how sadly intellectual pursuit has sunken

After spending 9yrs in school here you are
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by sabenabeauty(f): 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2019
Nice.. people are also losing their creative skills!

You can as well be a part of the Creative Designs Online Training. I met my graphic designer here on NL and i can say I'm proud of him. He uses his smartphone to earn

You can see more https://www.nairaland.com/5357126/want-earn-10-15k-weekly-designing
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by ednut1(m): 4:17pm On Aug 15, 2019
you cant lose what you never had. shift
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by thebiggestgists(m): 4:18pm On Aug 15, 2019
greall12:

cheesy grin cheesy cheesy
I can see you like joking :-D:-D:-)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Branches Of Jamb Office To Get Your Change Of Institution/course Form / What Was The Bad Habit Your Roommate Had When In School? / Godfrey Okoye University Bans Artificial Eyelashes, Fingernails, Tight Fittings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.