Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,140 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media (20138 Views)

Why Are Most Nigerian Lecturers So Wicked And Heartless? / Top 10 Courses Most Nigerian Students Were Forced To Study / Akwa Ibom Science College Where Students Are Raised In Squalour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Mosco100(m): 12:23am On Aug 16, 2019
Copycat
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Lionsbet: 2:18am On Aug 16, 2019
mayweather145:
for the 1gb ram or 2gb ?

2GB

Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by DesChyko: 6:54am On Aug 16, 2019
Weathered:

50 million people at Secondary and University places of learning? That's nearly the population of South Africa! Did you rip that figure out of your ass?

Whether we abuse social media or not, we all have seen the devastating effects of it, from fake news being spawned and unable to regulate. It affects everyone whether the abusers or not.

Loss of feeling of connection and intetraction. We can go on and on.

And the benefits, online sales? Interconnectivity? Network marketing?

Are these worth all the obfuscation of life?

I say social media is the harbinger of moral decline in the 21st century.

Nigeria had an estimated population of 180 million. About 62% of that population (112 million) are aged 25 or younger, which is the age of scholars. So if I estimate that half of that number are old enough to use social media, do you still think I got that out of my ass?
While I agree that the negatives are slightly detrimental to the whims of human emotions, I do not agree Nigerians have been running a major loss since its advent.
Fake news had always been around. I mean, look back to your growing up years and try to remember all the myths you heard growing up which your elders believed but you are now wiser to know it's a total sham. It spreads faster now, real. But it always originates from a human mind.
Let's look at the realities here: Nigeria is a very insecure and impoverished state.
How would we manage to tap into the very scarce sources of living that the leaders continually hoard for themselves barring the new ways of earning a living being made available by the media? Look at how many people are making gain off it.
How would we even stay alive long enough to achieve a purpose in this very dangerous place to live without it? We get information on deadly happenings easily so we can rule such regions off our maps. We easily get information on how to secure our earnings from those who have been victims. We even maintain social attachments via video calls and chats to avoid making treacherous journies that can end one's life either due to bad roads or human weaknesses.
Maybe it does affect how we look into one another's eyes, but it surely helps one survive to even be available to look into one's eyes in the first place
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by Weathered: 10:39am On Aug 16, 2019
DesChyko:

Nigeria had an estimated population of 180 million. About 62% of that population (112 million) are aged 25 or younger, which is the age of scholars. So if I estimate that half of that number are old enough to use social media, do you still think I got that out of my ass?
While I agree that the negatives are slightly detrimental to the whims of human emotions, I do not agree Nigerians have been running a major loss since its advent.
Fake news had always been around. I mean, look back to your growing up years and try to remember all the myths you heard growing up which your elders believed but you are now wiser to know it's a total sham. It spreads faster now, real. But it always originates from a human mind.
Let's look at the realities here: Nigeria is a very insecure and impoverished state.
How would we manage to tap into the very scarce sources of living that the leaders continually hoard for themselves barring the new ways of earning a living being made available by the media? Look at how many people are making gain off it.
How would we even stay alive long enough to achieve a purpose in this very dangerous place to live without it? We get information on deadly happenings easily so we can rule such regions off our maps. We easily get information on how to secure our earnings from those who have been victims. We even maintain social attachments via video calls and chats to avoid making treacherous journies that can end one's life either due to bad roads or human weaknesses.
Maybe it does affect how we look into one another's eyes, but it surely helps one survive to even be available to look into one's eyes in the first place
you're prolly right in many apsect. I agree fake news has always been around but travel slowly with very limited reach. Social media on the other hand can set up so many dangerous instances of fake news so much so that even Facebook and WhatsApp have put machinery to stem this tide.

Then the loss of privacy social media has introduced to everyone. While it is expedient information is readily available, social media has empowered the conveyor of fake news without giving them any responsibility to take charge of what they say or air.

Nairaland is one instance where people hide under the thick curtains of anonymity to say about anything.

And yes, we have a large young population but majority seems to be out of school. I think Nigeria has me of the highest children out of school rates in the world even by African standards.

You will be shocked what the NUC and post-primary school board have as record for students registered in both government and private schools.
Re: 5 Key Skills Most Nigerian Students Are Gradually Losing Due To Social Media by AlphaDavid: 5:55pm On Sep 20, 2019
mayweather145:
for the 1gb ram or 2gb ?

2gb

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Apologizes To Students, Parents Over Prolonged ASUU Strike / "Has Snake Swallowed Our JAMB Results?" - Candidates Ask JAMB / Top-up My Hnd To A Bsc In One Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.