Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,028 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:31 PM

Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy (4172 Views)

Jonathan Showed No Political Will In Fight Against Boko Haram – US Envoy / Electing Buhari As President, Disaster For Africa – ex US Envoy / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by AloyEmeka5: 8:14pm On Oct 21, 2010
[size=14pt]Nigeria has largest student population in US – Envoy[/size]
By Agency Reporter
Thursday, 21 Oct 2010

Embassy in Nigeria, Mr. James McAnulty, has said that more than 6,500 Nigerian students are currently enrolled in various schools in his country, the News Agency of Nigeria reports.

Speaking at the annual College and Career Fair, organised by the US Mission in Nigeria, on Wednesday, in Abuja, McAnulty said Nigeria had the highest number of foreign students in the US.

He said the statistics of Nigerian students studying in the U.S. had continued to rise over the years, with the hope that it would continue to rise.

The envoy said, “Nigeria has recently become the country with the largest number of students who attend universities and high schools in the US.

“This is a great achievement because it is a testimony to the hard work of Nigerian students.

“Nigerian students bring their ideas and values to their community in the university, and are able to interact with students, not only from the U.S. but from other parts of the world.

“We think that the diversity is very important in our educational system; it helps people to understand other cultures.

McAnulty also noted that out of the 83 Nigerian students who gained admission into the current academic session, 67 students were awarded $2.5m on partial and full scholarships.

He said the scholarships were given to students who displayed some level of leadership and academic skills, and who proved beyond doubt that they needed the assistance.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010212585179
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by EzeUche0(m): 8:16pm On Oct 21, 2010
I am currently one of them!  cheesy

And let us not forget the Nigerian children who were raised in the U.S. They make up a large number of the black student population.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by Nobody: 8:17pm On Oct 21, 2010
Are Nigerians born here and those Nigerian immigrants with american citizenship  counted as Nigerians?

Cuz if so, then that number should be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy higher than 6,700.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by asha80(m): 8:30pm On Oct 21, 2010
So nigerians have a higher student population that indians and chinese?Rubbish
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by EzeUche0(m): 8:35pm On Oct 21, 2010
asha 80:

So nigerians have a higher student population that indians and chinese?Rubbish

You never know. Nigerians love coming to the U.S.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by LouisThoru(f): 8:36pm On Oct 21, 2010
how is this news?
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by EzeUche0(m): 8:37pm On Oct 21, 2010
LouisThoru:

how is this news?

If that is you in that pic. . . Lord have mercy on me! shocked
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by LouisThoru(f): 8:39pm On Oct 21, 2010
^^^

Yeah realy. May the almighty have mercy on you. You have said the right prayers.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by EzeUche0(m): 8:53pm On Oct 21, 2010
LouisThoru:

^^^

Yeah realy. May the almighty have mercy on you. You have said the right prayers.

Chineke me! shocked

Is that really you?
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by LouisThoru(f): 9:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
now someone is deaf.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by EzeUche0(m): 9:00pm On Oct 21, 2010
LouisThoru:

now someone is deaf.

More like blind. . . tongue
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by Nobody: 9:44pm On Oct 21, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Are Nigerians born here and those Nigerian immigrants with american citizenship  counted as Nigerians?

Cuz if so, then that number should be wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy higher than 6,700.

NO
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by GAR3TH(m): 10:11pm On Oct 21, 2010
other fact : Nigerians are one of the highest educated immigrant group in America. bachelors, masters, and P.H.D. smiley
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by Gayigaskia(m): 10:24pm On Oct 21, 2010
What ? I think this envoy forgot about those monkey Indians. I went to University here in the US and i hope a lot more people will agree with me that much.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by jumobi1(m): 10:37pm On Oct 21, 2010
In my school there are at least 20 immigrants and about 200 non-immigrant Nigerians/
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by PhysicsMHD(m): 11:01pm On Oct 21, 2010
There are far more Indian and Chinese international (foreign) students in U.S. universities than international Nigerian students in U.S. universities from my experience.

It's very likely that he was conflating the Nigerian Americans with Nigerians.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 21, 2010
PhysicsMHD:

There are far more Indian and Chinese international (foreign) students in U.S. universities than international Nigerian students in U.S. universities from my experience.

Even if, the numbers would be 3x the ones he presented.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by henry101(m): 3:12am On Oct 22, 2010
PhysicsMHD:

Not all are chinese and indians.
I think they are grouped together because they all look same.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by PhysicsMHD(m): 3:23am On Oct 22, 2010
Yes there are Koreans, yes there are Pakistanis, etc,

But I was talking about actual Chinese and Indians, whose names give them away easily. There are many more of them that are internationals (not American), especially in the undergraduate and graduate science courses across all fields than there are Nigerians, also especially in the engineering and medical areas also even in courses like law and dentistry, this Envoy needs to do his homework: Nigeria's population ~ 140 million, Chinese (not even including Taiwan) > 1.3 billion, India >1.1 billion. Yet all three have international students rushing to the U.S. to study. Do the math.

As for how he arrived at his extremely small figures, I don't know, but the reason I think he might have conflated Nigerian Americans with Nigerians is because he said "largest number of students who attend universities and high schools in the US," when not very many Nigerian international students attend high school in the U.S. (but maybe the ones he's counting haven't obtained their U.S. citizenship yet , but are planning to). Anyhow, the numbers are indeed too small.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by Obiagu1(m): 3:32am On Oct 22, 2010
This is not true, Chinese are too numerous at several Universities.
Re: Nigeria Has Largest Student Population In Us – Envoy by henry101(m): 3:41am On Oct 22, 2010
PhysicsMHD:

Yes there are Koreans, yes there are Pakistanis, etc,

But I was talking about actual Chinese and Indians, whose names give them away easily. There are many more of them that are internationals (not American), especially in the undergraduate and graduate science courses across all fields than there are Nigerians, also especially in the engineering and medical areas also even in courses like law and dentistry, this Envoy needs to do his homework: Nigeria's population ~ 140 million, Chinese (not even including Taiwan) > 1.3 billion, India >1.1 billion. Yet all three have international students rushing to the U.S. to study. Do the math.

As for how he arrived at his extremely small figures, I don't know, but the reason I think he might have conflated Nigerian Americans with Nigerians is because he said "largest number of students who attend universities and high schools in the US," when not very many Nigerian international students attend high school in the U.S. (but maybe the ones he's counting haven't obtained their U.S. citizenship yet , but are planning to). Anyhow, the numbers are indeed too small.

Their names too are so simi;lar.

Some vietnamese share same name with chinese but they will claim not to be chinese.
But true chinese got a decent population in us colleges.

(1) (Reply)

5 REASONS YOU SHOULD VOTE NUHU RIBADU / Abia Inaugurates Committee For Ubani Market / Another Nurse Who Had Contact With Patrick Sawyer Dies in Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.