Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,771 members, 7,831,478 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:24 PM

Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? (6459 Views)

SEE How Some African Countries Will Soon Get Electricity from Floating Ships-PIX / Why Aeroplanes Are Painted White? / The MV Blue Marlin: The Ship That Ships Other Ships (Amazing pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by TorukMakto: 10:37pm On Aug 18, 2019
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by feemi: 11:26pm On Aug 18, 2019
Lead oxide coating.

Combats corrosion.
Sea water is very corrosive.

22 Likes

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by wenekamma: 12:58am On Aug 19, 2019
To protect from rusts

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by starbuck(f): 2:58am On Aug 19, 2019
I don't know but let me join my colleagues up � and tell you same grin grin

To prevent it from rusting

23 Likes

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Josonas: 4:06am On Aug 19, 2019
To protect from Rust

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 5:04am On Aug 19, 2019
Mami water hate anything red, so they don't go near ship painted with red.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by DAutoDiagnosis: 5:24am On Aug 19, 2019
To prevent rust

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Babaalata: 5:26am On Aug 19, 2019
For visibility and to appease mami water. Red is the favourite colour of mami water..

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by sheggsliveth: 6:15am On Aug 19, 2019
Babaalata:
For visibility and to appease mami water. Red is the favourite colour of mami water..

Shark and killer whale� not to eat it, they also understand that RED is dangerous

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by sparog(m): 6:40am On Aug 19, 2019
I believe the paint is to prevent rusting and it also serve as an antifouling process to impede the growth of aquatic microorganisms on the hull of the ship which slows down the movement of the ship

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by projecttopics2: 7:01am On Aug 19, 2019
Good one
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by DesChyko: 7:05am On Aug 19, 2019
To protect it from rusting.

Learnt about that in one of Clive Cussler's books.
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Mrevildoer(m): 7:13am On Aug 19, 2019
Make e no rust angry

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by jubrilcastle(m): 7:23am On Aug 19, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
Beauty plus brain. But hope you are not one of the mami
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by mytime24(f): 7:47am On Aug 19, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
Talking frm experience lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by larryking540: 8:02am On Aug 19, 2019
Josonas:
To protect from Rust
so black color doesn't prevent rusting
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by yinkeys(m): 8:53am On Aug 19, 2019
He refunded me
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Joystark(f): 9:58am On Aug 19, 2019
I'm not sure, but I read somewhere that way back when, copper paints used to be red. And the bottom of ship's were covered with copper paints.

I'm guessing the color kind of stuck?
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Les: 10:16am On Aug 19, 2019
It rusting from stop to.

Thank me later cheesy
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by tobby20: 10:25am On Aug 19, 2019
sheggsliveth:

Shark and killer whale� not to eat it, they also understand that RED is dangerous
Bro who told you whale kills

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by JOHNSONSOLAFUNMI(m): 10:41am On Aug 19, 2019
Not anymore OP, time has changed

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by sheggsliveth: 11:09am On Aug 19, 2019
tobby20:

Bro who told you whale kills

I read about killer whale ..I think whale has about 19 types while the killer whales seems to be more beautiful
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Came4amod: 11:15am On Aug 19, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:

Hmmmm mami water spokes person .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Mandyoluchi(m): 12:34pm On Aug 19, 2019
To send danger signals to killer whales
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by decrownprince(m): 12:39pm On Aug 19, 2019
Back when ship's hulls were first painted for anti-fouling (sea critter repellent) the best paint for this was a high lead content paint similar to red lead primer. This paint has a naturally occurring red pigment and the lead killed sea growth. Prior to this paint being laid on, a primer was applied to allow better adhesion to the hull. It was a purer red lead paint.
In later years, better anti fouling paints became available and different primers were used having a different pigment. The outer coat remained red because as it wore away it would expose the colors of the primer coats beneath it thereby giving notice that a new outer coat of paint was needed. It was kept a red color supposedly because it showed up better underwater when the checks for wear were made and because of Navy tradition. (The Navy is big on tradition)

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by Amanyanabo(m): 1:19pm On Aug 19, 2019
starbuck:
I don't know but let me join my colleagues up � and tell you same grin grin

To prevent it from rusting
Lol, which of the lady on ur dp is u

1 Like

Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by stanley000: 1:20pm On Aug 19, 2019
Nairalanders are so really dumb, u think a mare paint is gonna prevent rusting grin The red color is to prevent overloading dumb ass grin grin. In the UK there's a circle to indicate the maximum loading capacity. But then I don't blame the arts and commercial students here. cool cool
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by generationz(f): 1:45pm On Aug 19, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:

You stole someone's profile picture from instagram and you are using it to type rubbish here undecided
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by ArturW90: 2:16pm On Aug 19, 2019
I'm glad that I find this useful topic. Reading this I understand that college essays at https://essayyoda.com/college-essays-for-sale/ are very useful and interesting. I want to find more interesting topics like this one on this website. Thanks for posting.
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by guiddoti: 3:21pm On Aug 19, 2019
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
Na dem, mummy.
Re: Why Are Ships Painted Red Below The Waterline? by YorubaKing: 3:28pm On Aug 19, 2019
jubrilcastle:

Beauty plus brain. But hope you are not one of the mami

Which beauty be dat, abeg?

(1) (2) (Reply)

"FG Should Give Special Funding To Private Universities"-Alaafin Of Oyo / Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities / Can Any Nigerian Professor Do This(pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.