Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,755 members, 7,820,621 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:23 PM

Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities (6458 Views)

FEC Approves 9 New Private Universities, 4 In Ogun State. / FEC Approves 3 New Universities For Northern Nigeria / School Fees Of Church-owned Universities In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by mukina2: 9:47am On Feb 23, 2012
The Federal Executive Council yesteray gave approval for the issuance of provisional licenses for the establishment of five universities bringing the number of universities in Nigeria to a total of 122.

The universities include: Elizade University, Ilara Mokin, Ondo State, with the University of Techonology Akure as its mentor, Evangel University Akaeze, Ebonyi state with the University of Nigeria Nsukka as its mentor, Gregory University Uturu, Abia state with the University of Nigeria Nsukka as its mentor, McPherson University, Seriki Sotayo, Ogun state, with the University of Ibadan as its mentor and Southwestern University, Okun Owa, Ogun state with the University of Lagos as its mentor.

Briefing journalists after the weekly Council Meeting which was chaired by Vice President Namadi Sambo in the absence of President Goodluck Jonathan, the minister of information, Labaran Maku who briefed alongside ministers of Education Prof Ruqayyatu Rufai and minister of state for trade and investment, Samuel Ortom, said council gave the approval following the gross inadequacies of the current 117 universities serving a population of over 150 million people.

According to him"the gross inadequacy of this figure in relation to the population size of our country is glaring. This has continued to be a challenge" therefore "strategies being adopted by the ministry of education to address this challenge include encouraging private individuals and groups with unquestionable recommitment to education to establish private universities".

He noted that the establishment of more private universities is also an antidote to the proliferation of illegal universities and degree-awarding mills across the country. "It is in realization of this that the ministry of education came to council seeking its approval for the issuance of provisional licenses for the establishment of five private universities".

http://dailytimes.com.ng/article/fec-approves-new-universities#.T0Xu9EXLYio.twitter
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by RotimiA: 10:00am On Feb 23, 2012
Correction. The number of universities will now be 123 not 122. We currently have 118 universities in the entire country. I am not altogether convinced this a good move by the government. Nigeria has the largest university system in Sub-Sahara Africa but most of our universities are not internationally competitive. As it is our educational system has been eroded due to poor government funding and now they want to create more universities when they can easily put the funds into upgrading the facilities of existing ones and pay lecturers their dues. The minister of education needs to get her priorities in order and get her facts right before approving such a proposal.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by soma042(m): 10:01am On Feb 23, 2012
what abt the jab. huh
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by cashoffica: 10:09am On Feb 23, 2012
Nigerians gov't alway running away from its problems. of what benefit it is if u creat more problemm instead of solving d existing ones. this private universities ar only money spinning venture. I will advice nigerian gov't to properly equip and fund its own universities instead of celebrating mediocrity.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by kutchs: 10:13am On Feb 23, 2012
Privately owned? Me tink we shud be talking about improving standard nd not creating more universities as our universities both public nd private have turned into avenues for money making. In any case they shud be made to pay ‘public service salary‘ nd not ‘private salary‘.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Onyenna(m): 10:14am On Feb 23, 2012
Rotimi A:

Correction. The number of universities will now be 123 not 122. We currently have 118 universities in the entire country. I am not altogether convinced this a good move by the government. Nigeria has the largest university system in Sub-Sahara Africa but most of our universities are not internationally competitive. As it is our educational system has been eroded due to poor government funding and now they want to create more universities when they can easily put the funds into upgrading the facilities of existing ones and pay lecturers their dues. The minister of education needs to get her priorities in order and get her facts right before approving such a proposal.

You want them to use people's fund to upgrade their universities?. . . . These are privately owned universities. . . .They want individuals or groups to establish more & hopefully universities with standard structures when compared with international ones. . . . .
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Basics007: 10:19am On Feb 23, 2012
Universities are multiplying yet job opportunities are reducing everyday. And what's this concept of 'mentor' all about? Even the ones that are supposed be mentors are not sure of themselves
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Nobody: 10:27am On Feb 23, 2012
Actually I think its a good move. Its not enough to say that Nigeria has the highest number of universities in sub-Saharan Africa. We must analyse it by looking at the number of universities as a ratio of the country's population, the same way we emphasise GDP per capita rather mere GDP figures.

However, I do not think this is the ultimate solution to our educational crisis. I have argued previously that the way to produce the manpower to fuel our growth and development as a country is to develop SPECIALIZED institutions. Instead of just having degree-awarding universities that teach students how to look for jobs, we need institutions that will be tailored to the needs of the students. We need specialized institutions for different areas of human endeavour: arts, engineering, music, sports, management, government, pure sciences etc, all creating an environment that facilitates learning by doing rather than mere theory.

A step in the right direction, but a tiny, wobbly step.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by RotimiA: 10:35am On Feb 23, 2012
Onyenna:

You want them to use people's fund to upgrade their universities?. . . . These are privately owned universities. . . .They want individuals or groups to establish more & hopefully universities with standard structures when compared with international ones. . . . .

I am not suggesting they use private investors funds. My point is that the government should work towards improving the current stock of higher institutions in the country first before seeking more private investment into the establishment of universities.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by newslive(f): 10:38am On Feb 23, 2012
i think it's a good move

Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by RotimiA: 10:46am On Feb 23, 2012
HNosegbe:

Actually I think its a good move. Its not enough to say that Nigeria has the highest number of universities in sub-Saharan Africa. We must analyse it by looking at the number of universities as a ratio of the country's population, the same way we emphasise GDP per capita rather mere GDP figures.

However, I do not think this is the ultimate solution to our educational crisis. I have argued previously that the way to produce the manpower to fuel our growth and development as a country is to develop SPECIALIZED institutions. Instead of just having degree-awarding universities that teach students how to look for jobs, we need institutions that will be tailored to the needs of the students. We need specialized institutions for different areas of human endeavour: arts, engineering, music, sports, management, government, pure sciences etc, all creating an environment that facilitates learning by doing rather than mere theory.

A step in the right direction, but a tiny, wobbly step.

If you are talking about looking at the number of universities as a ratio of the country's population, then let me give you a good example. The UK has a population of 60m+ and it has 120+ universities, compare this ratio to Nigeria's population at 150m+ and 118 universities. If that's the case we do not have the sufficient number of universities that we need to cater to our growing population.

Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Nobody: 10:49am On Feb 23, 2012
@ Rotimi my point exactly, and that's why I started by saying that the establishment of new universities is nominally a good move.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by aglomar: 11:25am On Feb 23, 2012
I hope they aren't wishy washy like caleb. The rich will always have choices, only the poor suffers.

Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 23, 2012
Basics007:

Universities are multiplying yet job opportunities are reducing everyday. And what's this concept of 'mentor' all about? Even the ones that are supposed be mentors are not sure of themselves

I was thinking the same. Mentors are not even well.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by dudumarrie: 11:49am On Feb 23, 2012
This is a good development. Also, I think educational development in this country is far more than this, govt needs to shows more commitment towards the educational development of this nation
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by lilkech(m): 12:53pm On Feb 23, 2012
We Nigerians are darned fools ( a spade remains a spade )

130 universities producing over 5 million graduates per year ( clap - clap - clap )

WHERE ARE THE GOD FORSAKEN JOBS GOING TO MATERIALIZE FROM EHN ?

# i cry 4 9ja #
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by member479760: 1:12pm On Feb 23, 2012
I can't just imagine the reason babasuwe like eating banana without payment from that woman with big yash.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Yeske2(m): 5:19pm On Feb 23, 2012
As usual the absence of the north is always noted in stuffs like this, good development though.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by sunky644(m): 6:09pm On Feb 23, 2012
I think the idea of Elizade University in Ilara-mokin Ondo state was to establish Toyota assemblage if Olokola free trade zone in the state was in place. But due to the slow pace of work at the port And political issues affecting it, he decided to start d university first after which the assembling plant will commence later. But considering the kind of person Chief Michael Ade Ojo is, he said the institution is not established primarily for money making but making education attainable for brilliant financially less privileged ones and also promoting Entrepreneurship so as to have students who will not only come to get the certificate but also taught how to be self-employed.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by iiiyyyk(m): 6:22pm On Feb 23, 2012
this is good news.

every nigeria is entitle to paper degree with empty skulls.

I have said it, and will continue saying it, We failed as a nation when our academic curriculum failed to address our immediate problems as a people and as a nation.

university has now become filling station business.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by abouzaid: 10:04pm On Feb 23, 2012
The NEEDS document published by the central bank claimed that graduate employment is 80% and rising not to add the shortage of qualified lecturers in existing universities and we are still opening new ones. 9ja i hail una o, we will all see how this bubble will end.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by GboyegaD(m): 12:03am On Feb 24, 2012
Is this the solution to the deteriorating standard of education in Nigeria
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by ayodele123(m): 1:12pm On Feb 24, 2012
I think its a good idea.
If there are many private universities, due to competition, the tuition will likely become cheaper and more students can get in.
The FGN is unable to cater for the burden of the Government owned universities and this could be the reason for continuous approval of private universities. The issue however is that the fees charged by private universities is too high for many students to pay but good education is obtainable there.
Re: Fec Approves Five New Privately Owned Universities by Cholls(m): 10:25pm On Apr 08, 2022
cashoffica:
Nigerians gov't alway running away from its problems. of what benefit it is if u creat more problemm instead of solving d existing ones. this private universities ar only money spinning venture. I will advice nigerian gov't to properly equip and fund its own universities instead of celebrating mediocrity.
My brother

(1) (Reply)

Futa Is Best University Of Technology In Nigeria:did You Agree / Can Any Nigerian Professor Do This(pics) / 2018/2019 Scholarships For Undergraduate, Masters And Phd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.