Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,759 members, 7,809,925 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? (3362 Views)

Poetic Chronicles! / What Brought Your Poetic Side? / What Brought Your Poetic Side? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 1:53pm On May 15, 2007
My poetic side emerged during my IT yr as a result of a gut-wrenching heartbreak & way too much time spent in a high-rise overlooking the Atlantic on Marina after that & i ain't looked back since!

when & how did u discover your flair for writing poems & when d u write your 1st full poem (if u can still remember)?
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Poet2007(m): 5:20pm On Jul 01, 2007
my poems once started as a school project in 8th grade. it was a poem about a flying reptile called Pteranodon. since then I have written almost 1,500 poems. all topics/genra and I have a few published on a poetry website. I have poems based on movies/tv shows, poems about monsters, prehistoric animals, friends, trips, ghost stories, some in series, one poetic spinoff, etc. and as you had said, "I haven't looked back",
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 9:08am On Jul 02, 2007
Damn bro. "1500"; how could you ever look back, you're like on a blitz wink you g'otta be a pro now !
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Basic(m): 12:26pm On Jul 02, 2007
I was inspired by a statement I once read in a poetry magazine. It went thus:
" Poetry is not a talent, just an acquired skill. It's anybody's art"

1 Like

Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by hansibone(m): 3:17pm On Jul 02, 2007
Well i started writing poems when i was in secondary school, well there were poems based on my crazy little love life, but i later developed in writing cools when i gained adminssion into school(Auchi Poly).

I have developed a 4 stanza 4 verse style, something of the Shakespare thing and i actually got so involved when i read a novel (Forgotten the name), the writer was cool. but most of the time my surroundings and the movies i watch(Amercian) affect my writings.

I like feudal films writing in the bronze/iron age period, where love was all about poetry. Cool thou, smiley.

I got some good ones, thou i still want to develop some skilllllllllllllllllllls. I WANT TO BE LIKE SHAKLESPARE pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Holla back boi, cheesy think u are the best here (Ruudie)
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 5:26pm On Jul 02, 2007
hansibone:

Well i started writing poems when i was in secondary school, well there were poems based on my crazy little love life, but i later developed in writing cools when i gained adminssion into school(Auchi Poly).

I have developed a 4 stanza 4 verse style, something of the Shakespare thing and i actually got so involved when i read a novel (Forgotten the name), the writer was cool. but most of the time my surroundings and the movies i watch(Amercian) affect my writings.

I like feudal films writing in the bronze/iron age period, where love was all about poetry. Cool thou, smiley.

I got some good ones, thou i still want to develop some skilllllllllllllllllllls. I WANT TO BE LIKE SHAKLESPARE pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

I dig your ambition man - always wanted to publish a poetry book but never dreamed of making it big-time! guess you can say i'm "ambition-less" grin

hansibone:

Holla back boi, cheesy think u are the best here (Ruudie)

if this was meant to be a compliment, then i'm utterly flattered embarassed if not undecided
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by wifeypenth(f): 5:47pm On Jul 17, 2007
Back then i used to write bout everythng.gues i lost it.but now every day of my lyf is a poem i want 2share. My daily lyf is poetic
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 8:23pm On Jul 17, 2007
@wifepenth,
hw do u mean. . BTW weird id u got; any poetry bhind it? ;d
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by wifeypenth(f): 8:47pm On Jul 17, 2007
@ Ruudie yep asper d i.d there's a poetry behnd it.wud share it much later. wink
watz d meanin of BTW cute-ass told me earliar bt av 4goten
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 9:27am On Jul 18, 2007
ByTheWway in my vocab - d'unno abt what you was told . . . really love to hear the story, pls !
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2007
why is that a vast majority of the poems we've got here are mostly centered around "love gone sour"
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Iwerebor(m): 4:25pm On Aug 02, 2007
Why are we so afraid to put out a few works rather than talk about it? It's routine on most sites to read people's drafts and actual constructions while they ask for reviews.
Almost all my works are in public domain. Plagiarism would actually be a compliment.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by palma(f): 4:57pm On Aug 02, 2007
[b]well i will just say that i have been a poet all my life though i didnt realize it. love to write about things the way they come, when am hurt i write about it in a poetic manner refering to another person when i feel am alone i write to comfort myself cuz i have only me my pen and my paper. my family dont understand it they felt its strange that i will want to write when my mates prefers party but i dont want to party i just want to write and to be left alone in my world funny enough am studying computer science but i never let what am studying get in the way of my love of writing. when i wrote the poem "love is dead" everybody thought i have gone nuts but really i didnt mean love is dead if only they could read between the lines[/color][color=#990000][/b]
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by BlkRaven(f): 6:56pm On Aug 02, 2007
RuuDie:

why is that a vast majority of the poems we've got here are mostly centered around "love gone sour"

I started writing poetry after my first heartbreak when I was in secondary school. For me, poetry was a way of expressing my deepest feelings in a way that I couldn't with anyone. I found it quite therapeutic. If I remember correctly, my first poem was called, 'Broken Promises'. Very depressing stuff. I still write poetry when I feel inspired but they are now more positive.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Daracool(f): 8:22pm On Aug 02, 2007
i have always been poetic, writting gives me a definition of my values and life, it takes me deep into myself, sometimes it keeps me alive.i love the sound of poetry,i love putting words to paper.its pure joy!
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by sprezatura(m): 8:47pm On Aug 02, 2007
Ruudie good tot,

The guy that wants to write like shakespeare, developing pentameters and what not, men u dey try o, shakespeare! shocked. Anyway i hate to write when im in moods happy or sad, because that way i know how my poems will sound and end, i like to see myself as i modernist, get my readers confused for a while and have more than two meanings to my poems. James Joyce kind of thing, i hate him to, anyway would like to grow Ruudies Thread

What is your most potent/polemic poem here is mine read and enjoy, end of joy. This is already copywrited oh, if you thief you got to kirikiri

“A cold boiling Feeling”

Like the burning desert sand burying my feet

Like the biting polar snow my feet are interred in

You are the darkness of my heart

The heart of my darkness

Air to the fire that burns my soul

Lead to the bullet that tears my heart in two

You are pain

The recipe for heart break

Mire so quick I can’t struggle Lava so hot I can’t swim in

You are Arsenic forced down my throat

Shackles and manacles so tight

You bore my skin

You are the jungle that swallowed my civility

Age that devoured my good looks

You are a curse to my fortune

The demise of my soul

The heart and soul of my plagues

You are death to karma Interred in a coven of curses

You are love wandering through the woods of broken hearts

You are love finding no resting place

You are love, a curse, you are love.

you can read more on my blog, www.khanate-sprezatura..com
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by dree1: 10:53pm On Aug 02, 2007
@ All

I have been a poet all my life but I'll say I started writing poems @ about 13. A lot of time i write to comfort and encourage myself, and when I am deeply hurt until I express it in my word and world, I 'll never feel that relieve. I remember when I was about 14 and I was sharing a room with my brother (I dont keep a dairy ! but if you want to know my secret or all I am going through, open my poem book or search through my pocket/bag and you'll find that piece) I was finding it so difficult to hide all this from my older brother, so I decided to write all my poems in a language NOBODY could understand called TULEZ I wrote quite a number of poems in Tulez and guess what guys I still write some of my poems in Tulez ! Why? I am married and there are some that are just 4 me.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Hayorbahmy(m): 9:42am On Aug 03, 2007
I had alwayz appreciated poems all ma life nd it was not a mere coincidence dt I started writing poems of just four lines when I was very young.
Right now I am motivated by my mood and situations around me. I love poems but its painful dt only my poems about love are appreciated I dnt know why ppl dnt appreciate d truth.
Most of ma poems follow a lyrical pattern and r rythmically.

@ruddie
I actually like dis topic. Thumbs up
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Iwerebor(m): 10:00am On Aug 03, 2007
sprezatura,
You have broken the Jinx by being bold enough to post a poem here and it's an imaginative work. Though the metaphors are uncomfortably morbid.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by sprezatura(m): 12:36pm On Aug 03, 2007
Iwerebor may be i was about to do the Virginia Tech thing when i wrote it, seriously though the reason behind the strong or morbid metaphors as you put it, was that i was trying to put myself in the shoes of a broken hearted person. I imagined how i would feel, what i would do and how dificult it would be for me too let go of the subject, when i was eventually heartbroken i didnt feel as much as i portrayed it in my poem. Would like to see other potent poems.

enjoy, end of joy
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by moondust(m): 3:50pm On Aug 03, 2007
poetic side?, , I'm still looking for it o wink
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Khaleefa(m): 7:09pm On Aug 03, 2007
To be honest, I've always been a poet. As a child I was painfully shy consequently I loved using a few words to speak volumes.
In my adolescent years, I found joy in summarizing the world around me into a few colourful words. My voracious appetite for reading only served to fuel the process.

As an adult I developed into a fine public speaker, MC, and part time TV/Radio presenter. The poetry was never faraway though as all my speeches resembled the ladies miniskirt: Short enough to be very appealing, yet long enough to cover the subject matter.  wink grin

My first collection of about 250 poems was lost back in '90 but since then, I've penned some 500 poems some of which are published on a number of internet site under my pen name.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by ozoneflake(m): 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2007
Poetry, Poems, Songs, Plays you name it. The art of writing is letting out your inner self. Expressing that part of you that is not visible through the tip of a pen.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by sprezatura(m): 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2007
Please people i was shortlisted for the poetry.com poetry competition semifinals sometime last year but i never got back to them because they wanted me to pay some amount for things i can't remember now, i didnt pay because i had won the poetry in motion competiton sometime back and i never got my money but my name is still displayed on the site, how can i get my money plz na tachy but na my sweat any ideas please.

"Short enough to be very appealing, yet long enough to cover the subject matter. " Khaleefa that quote is so original
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by TCUBE(m): 12:41pm On Aug 04, 2007
freestyling gospel rap lyrics in junior high, didnt know i got that within me,
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Khaleefa(m): 1:00pm On Aug 05, 2007
@ Iwerebor

Not afraid to share at all, if memory serves, I think I've seen a few poems around here someplace.
Anyway, I recently shared one of mine. It's here if you'd like to read it:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-69423.0.html
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by Iwerebor(m): 10:56am On Aug 06, 2007
@ Iwerebor

Not afraid to share at all, if memory serves, I think I've seen a few poems around here someplace.
Anyway, I recently shared one of mine. It's here if you'd like to read it:
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-69423.0.html
Ok, I just read it and it's lovely. However, the attempted rhyming at some points dimmed the shine a little. It seems to me that works like that are best allowed to run free. Keep up the good writing.
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 1:21pm On Aug 06, 2007
ozoneflake:

Poetry, Poems, Songs, Plays you name it. The art of writing is letting out your inner self. Expressing that part of you that is not visible through the tip of a pen.

cool i just love the way u put it down here, man!
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 1:38pm On Aug 06, 2007
I was inspired by a statement I once read in a poetry magazine. It went thus:
" Poetry is not a talent, just an acquired skill. It's anybody's art"

This have got to be the pick of the lot thus far. . . . very touching!
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by sprezatura(m): 8:12pm On Aug 06, 2007
Ruudie put some of yours up for execution, seems like its just moi n khaleefa that have lived up to your challenge are we all scared of folks stealing ourlines
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by RuuDie(m): 10:27am On Aug 07, 2007
sprezatura:

Ruudie put some of yours up for execution, seems like its just moi n khaleefa that have lived up to your challenge are we all scared of folks stealing ourlines

Easy man. . . i've got poems out here; not so hard to find just look at the ID on the first poster column!
Re: What Brought Forth Your Poetic Side? by lilian777(f): 10:52am On Aug 07, 2007
wow! do i feel alive anytime such topics are discussed?
@ Poster.

Bros u do well.My poetic side? Hummn, let's see.It started when i was 17 in my year one. It was G.S 101 and we were told to write a poem about anything.I wrote on something about nature.It was acknowledged so i discovered that side of me. Though i'd always had a creative side, with drawings,crafts and all , but this latter discovery ,i stuck with.I don't limit myself to writing only romance.I write about anything according to how i'm inspired. Peace to my poetic dudes and dudettes i've always jammed on threads like this,people like Hansiborne, i hail o.And there are so many of you i'm still expecting to see here. Peace ya'll!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Education <poem> / The Twins Of Nature / Loving You Was Easy (a Poem)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.