Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,249 members, 7,953,931 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:13 AM

Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North (5426 Views)

Ben Bruce Sees No Point Why Gov Shettima Should Join PMB To Germany / Man Indicted In US For Drug Deal Elected Senator In Nigeria / How Unknown Politician Defeated Serving Senator In PDP C'river Primaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Sagamite(m): 9:09pm On Oct 22, 2010
[size=18pt]Nigeria court rejects 'forced marriage' case[/size]

A Nigerian high court has dismissed a case brought by a [size=14pt]26[/size]-year-old woman who says her father forced her to marry a senator.

The judge said her human rights had not been violated and it was a matrimonial matter for an Islamic court.

Zainab Isa Mayana was married to the senator of Zamfara State, Sahabi Ya'u, [size=14pt]54[/size], in July at a ceremony where she was represented by her father.

She says she has never met him and her father knew she was already engaged.

Sokoto, where the trial took place, was one of several northern states to re-introduce Sharia law after the return to democracy in 1999.

'Courageous'

The BBC's Haruna Shehu Tangaza in Sokoto says that these days forced marriages are frowned on in the predominately Muslim north of Nigeria.

People have generally supported Ms Mayana and she has been seen as courageous in bringing the case against her father and Senator Ya'u, he says.

Judge Isiyaku Mohammed said under the constitution, the federal court could not intervene in the affairs of an Islamic court.

Ms Mayana was not in court for the ruling, but her lawyers told the BBC they would not relent in their efforts to dissolve the marriage as she was not married to a man of her choice.

They said they would file a new case at "an appropriate court", which by implication would be an Islamic court, our reporter says.

Ms Mayana, who is studying at Ahmadu Bello University, says she has been engaged to another man for five years.

Senator Ya'u was already married before his wedding to Ms Mayana in July, although it is not known exactly how many wives he has, our correspondent says.

Under Islamic law, a man can take up to four spouses.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-11607532
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by udezue(m): 12:36am On Oct 23, 2010
SmDH!!! So now Sharia law is superior to Federal laws? These have practically created two legal systems and will go further if not checked to force their satanic Sharia illegal system on the majority of the nation who don't even practice their religion.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chyz(m): 12:44am On Oct 23, 2010
Its quite crystal clear that she does not want to be married to that fool so why must her case of divorce be dismissed? The bastards are allowed to illegally have their own legal system but we Igbos arent allowed to raise our Biafra flag and promote it? This country needs to break up.The same judges continue to free boko harem members as well.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Osama10(m): 1:16am On Oct 23, 2010
chyz:

Its quite crystal clear that she does not want to be married to that fool so why must her case of divorce be dismissed? The bastards are allowed to illegally have their own legal system but we Igbos arent allowed to raise our Biafra flag and promote it? This country needs to break up.The same judges continue to free boko harem members as well.
Seconded.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by udezue(m): 1:25am On Oct 23, 2010
Chyz, I'm with u.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 1:38am On Oct 23, 2010
News like this makes me want my Ekiti Republic. I hate to be an aboki.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by SALady(f): 1:39am On Oct 23, 2010
Now at what point does a man, and I mean any man at all begin to think its okay to marry someone against their will? This is where my brains fail me and I will not force it to reason. Its just beyond me.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chyz(m): 1:43am On Oct 23, 2010
udezue:

Chyz, I'm with u.

If they have their own judicial system and laws and dont adhere to the Federal laws of the nation, it literally means they have their own country.Which makes it seem as though they are just here to eat with nigerians. Something like a Trinidad and Tobago but a way lower grade.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Sagamite(m): 1:46am On Oct 23, 2010
And he is supposedly a Senator.

Basically that is one of the retards we expect to filter complexities and set our laws.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by jason12345: 1:53am On Oct 23, 2010
i bet he was not elected on a free and fair election angry angry. chyz i'm with you!!!
Ileke-IdI:

awa nko? grin grin
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 1:59am On Oct 23, 2010
jason12345:

awa nko? grin grin

Honey, if ur sexy hot, you can join my republic wink grin
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by googles: 2:04am On Oct 23, 2010
Like seriously? All these mallams sef, But now that she was denied a fair hearing and her case dismissed,I wonder wat the homefront will be like  undecided

she will be treated like trash by her nuclear and extended family for daring to challenge their decision. Wat a poor young lady  sad
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chyz(m): 2:11am On Oct 23, 2010
googles:

Like seriously? All these mallams sef, But now that she was denied a fair hearing and her case dismissed,I wonder wat the homefront will be like  undecided

she will be treated like trash by her nuclear and extended family for daring to challenge their decision. Wat a poor young lady  sad

We can only pray that this gets international coverage and this lady is freed. There was a case similar to this where a woman was sentence to death by stoning by this northern pseaudo-judicial system. The news got big international attention and the lady was saved and I believe she now lives overseas. I will search online for the site of the people that helped that lady and post this link. The good thing is that he's a senator so the pressure will be applied even harder.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 2:12am On Oct 23, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

Must you say Ekiti everytime? cheesy You need to stop associating with Ezeuche with all these aboki this and that. tongue

@ topic

She should not relent in her efforts.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by naijaking1: 2:15am On Oct 23, 2010
Zamfara state again?
What is it with this state that big,fat,old, and sick men in their 50s and 60s desparately want to stick their fingers into small holes
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Sagamite(m): 2:16am On Oct 23, 2010
Examples of how we do not appoint based on merit.

Even if this retarded, incompetent slowpoke called Judge can not interfere with Sharia court, the argument was that she was not aware and/or present at the so-called wedding, so she can not be part of a matrimonial setting she is not aware of and that falls under the umbrella of Sharia courts.

I am sure the Judge is an incompetent slowpoke with poor qualifications.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by jason12345: 2:16am On Oct 23, 2010
chyz:

We can only pray that this gets international coverage and this lady is freed. There was a case similar to this where a woman was sentence to death by stoning by this northern pseaudo-judicial system. The news got big international attention and the lady was saved and I believe she now lives overseas. I will search online for the site of the people that helped that lady and post this link. The good thing is that he's a senator so the pressure will be applied even harder.
amen to the bold part
Ileke-IdI:

Honey, if your sexy hot, you can join my republic  wink grin
that means i'm joining you grin grin
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 2:20am On Oct 23, 2010
Sagamite:

Examples of how we do not appoint based on merit.

Even if this retarded, incompetent slowpoke called Judge can not interfere with Sharia court, the argument was that she was not aware and/or present at the so-called wedding, so she can not be part of a matrimonial setting she is not aware of and that falls under the umbrella of Sharia courts.

I am sure the Judge is an incompetent slowpoke with poor qualifications.

Is the judge a muslim?
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 2:22am On Oct 23, 2010
So when exactly is the wedding?
What happens if something accidentally happens to her "groom"?
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chyz(m): 2:25am On Oct 23, 2010
stillwater:

Is the judge a muslim?

Is this a rhetorical question?
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by googles: 2:27am On Oct 23, 2010
chyz:

Oh I do remember that case tho I was much younger then so I cant remember her name but she was sentenced cos she committed adultery or sommin

I hope it works for this lady,IMO the senator angle will worsen her case.because this man can influence this matter with his nonsense power. Any NGO

dat wants to take up the matter might be nipped in the bud. All these men in power have a way of sweeping things under the carpet o
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 2:35am On Oct 23, 2010
chyz:

Is this a rhetorical question?

Naa I don't run into conclusions. Need facts first before bleating. cheesy
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Sagamite(m): 2:37am On Oct 23, 2010
googles:

Oh I do remember that case tho I was much younger then so I cant remember her name but she was sentenced cos she committed adultery or sommin

I hope it works for this lady,IMO the senator angle will worsen her case.because this man can influence this matter with his nonsense power. Any NGO

dat wants to take up the matter might be nipped in the bud. All these men in power have a way of sweeping things under the carpet o

Someone correct me if I am wrong, no one can force her to go to her "matrimonial" home?

The worst that can happen is that she can not legally marry someone else?
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by googles: 2:44am On Oct 23, 2010
Sagamite:

Someone correct me if I am wrong, no one can force her to go to her "matrimonial" home?

The worst that can happen is that she can not legally marry someone else?

Lol. . . The same way her father sold her off nah

her consent to be moved to her new home is not needed. . .they will bundle her to her "husband's" house and prolly put her under house arrest so she does

run away from town
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chyz(m): 2:46am On Oct 23, 2010
googles:

A senator of nigeria can't stand the wrath of international women legal organizations, and many other international human rights organization especially now that nigeria is and the center of trouble internationally right now.It makes the case that much critical. Remember the heat that insecure brute senator yerima, who ran to egypt to get an 11 year old girl for marriage got for his actions.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 2:52am On Oct 23, 2010
Any pictures of the senator?
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chyz(m): 2:55am On Oct 23, 2010
stillwater:

Any pictures of the senator?

Sorry this is the only pic i could find at the time, very gay:

Senator Sahabi Ya'u
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Nobody: 3:03am On Oct 23, 2010
chyz:

Sorry this the the only pic i could find at the time, very gay:

Senator Sahabi Ya'u

Thank you. People like this need to be exposed.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by googles: 3:06am On Oct 23, 2010
chyz:

A senator of nigeria can't stand the wrath of international women legal organizations, and many other international human rights organization especially now that nigeria is and the center of trouble internationally right now.It makes the case that much critical. Remember the heat that insecure brute senator yerima, who ran to egypt to get an 11 year old girl for marriage got for his actions.

Well I  hope she gets the much needed attention she needs.

And actions taken this time, not just yeye protests and empty buzz  undecided
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by chic2pimp(m): 3:14am On Oct 23, 2010
Can't You Lot Leave A Comment Without Resorting To The Use Of Derogatory Words Such As Mallam, Aboki And Only Lawd Knows What Else? undecided
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Osama10(m): 3:20am On Oct 23, 2010
chic2pimp:

Can't You Lot Leave A Comment Without Resorting To The Use Of Derogatory Words Such As Mallam, Aboki And Only Lawd Knows What Else? undecided

The Senator has "(Derogatorized)" himself before the whole world so he deserves all the curses.
Re: Court Sees No Problem With Woman Forced Into Marriage With Senator In North by Okijajuju1(m): 3:22am On Oct 23, 2010
Thats what she gets for having a retarded father!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

PICS Of Godswill Akpabio's G-wagon After The Accident. / Is Gamal Nasser of Anambra Nigeria's Elon Musk? / Nnamdi Kanu, Nigerian Separatist Leader, Resurfaces In Israel. BBC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.