Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,196 members, 7,953,718 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 12:33 AM

Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises (7895 Views)

“missing” Bauchi Aircraft Lands In Nigeria (photo) / UPN Picks Woman As Presidential Candidate / APC Drops Buhari & Picks Tambuwal As Presidential Candidate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by shadrach77: 1:35am On Oct 24, 2010
An aircraft conveying President Goodluck Jonathan’s aides, landed in a primary school last Wednesday amidst pandemonium. TOYOSI OGUNSEYE writes that over 12 students were injured in the stampede

It looked like a scene from a movie. Initially, pupils of Apostolic Church Secondary School, Ketu, Lagos, saw the aircraft hovering in the air and this was enough to distract those sitting close to the windows from their early morning classes.

The teachers in different classes that morning were curious about what their pupils were looking at, so they also looked out of the window and saw that the plane was descending closer to the roof of the building.

No one needed to tell them to run. Once the teachers took to their heels, perhaps thinking it was air mishap, the students followed en masse. With loud screams, everyone ran as fast as their legs could carry them. Some of the students on the second floor of the school building attempted to jump down in a bid to save their lives. One of them was an eight-year-old JSS1 student who landed on her buttocks and could no longer stand. Eleven other students were severely injured.

While this pandemonium was going on, the airforce plane with number NAV541 landed on the school premises. Heavily armed soldiers alighted from the aircraft and surveyed the area without saying a word.

When the fleeing students and members of staff saw that the aircraft had successfully landed, they surrounded it, with curiosity written all over their faces. The scene further attracted passers-by and people in the neighbourhood who trooped to the school. The armed soldiers ignored the crowd, went back into the plane and, after a few minutes, took off.

The injured students were then taken to the school‘s official clinic, Delta Crown Hospital, Ketu, where some of them were given first-aid treatment and discharged. Two of the students were still in the hospital as at last Thursday, including the young girl who fell from one of the two-storey buildings in the school. An X-ray showed that the girl had no broken bones but she had a severe tear in her private part, which had to be stitched.

The mothers of one of the children who were admitted in the hospital pleaded anonymity and said, “I have five children in that school. I thank God that my daughter is alive and I‘m not crying. I am not ready to make a case of this or even talk to the media because God has given me a reason to rejoice and not cry.”

One of the people in the area who witnessed the incident identified himself as Yemi. According to him, he was about to have his bath when he felt the building shaking. He said, ”I live just two houses away from the school. I had an appointment that morning and was about to have my bath when I heard a very loud noise outside; my room was also vibrating. So, I looked out of the window and saw a plane moving towards the ground. I ran out of my house in my boxers.”

Yemi added that he joined the crowd when the plane landed. ”When some of the soldiers alighted from the plane, they left the door slightly ajar. I saw some soldiers inside, but some people whispered that the President was inside the plane.”

It was gathered that the pilot and some of the crew muttered that the plane had ‘a problem.‘

The school authorities declined to make any comment about the incident. It was however gathered that Ketu Police Division, and the Lagos State ministries of health and education visited the school and the hospital a day after Jonathan‘s visit.

The Public Relations Officer of the Lagos State Police Command, Mr. Frank Mba, could not confirm SUNDAY PUNCH‘s findings. He said, he was not aware of the incident.

The President was on a visit to the flooded areas in Ajegunle, Agboyi-Ketu Local Council Development Area on October 20 when the plane made an emergency landing in the school.

The Director, Public Relations and Information of the Airforce, Air Commodore Yusuf Anas said, “It was a flight to survey the area where the president was visiting. It was not an emergency flight. The presidential aides were in it. We were not aware that 12 children were injured.”

Efforts to speak to the senior special assistant to the president on media and publicity, Ima Niboro, proved abortive. When our correspondent called his mobile line on Friday night, he did not pick it. Neither did he respond to the text message sent to him.

It could be recalled that a Cessna Model T9B training aircraft belonging to the Nigeria College of Aviation Technology, Zaria, Kaduna State, crash-landed at a village just outside Kano on May 2, 2010. It plunged into a farmland at Katoge Village, directly behind the Science Secondary School at Dawakin Tofa, about 20 kilometres from Kano City.

Three occupants of the light training plane escaped unhurt and the aircraft was not badly damaged. Those on board the plane included the college instructor, Mr. Ozogwu as well as Akerele Ojo Olu and Jafar Suleman, who are trainees.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010243321914
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Nobody: 3:22am On Oct 24, 2010
a plane land and take off without a runway?
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Osama10(m): 3:31am On Oct 24, 2010
Na witchcraft be that now. grin
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by selingel: 3:48am On Oct 24, 2010
davidylan:

a plane land and take off without a runway?

grin In Nigeria, everything is possible grin grin grin grin grin

Osama10:

Na witchcraft be that now. grin

In Africa, witchcraftcy is a way of life.

In all honesty, this is junk reporting! I wonder whether the reporter read this very well, before running to their media house.
It is only an Helicopter that can boast of this, yet he/she couldn't specify. What it means is that, no learned person in that school could identify the type of aircraft, not even their Geography teacher (if there was any) grin.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Jakumo(m): 5:15am On Oct 24, 2010
Good job by the pilot, regardless of whether that emergency landing was made by a helicopter or a light plane.   Clearly there was some sort of mechanical failure that required fast action, and the pilot was quick thinking enough to set her down on a school playing field, with no damage to lives, property or the airframe.   

In-flight engine failure leaves only a tiny window of opportunity to execute a safe landing, which, if not taken, will result in a crash that could kill all aboard.  In a helicopter, the pilot will IMMEDIATELY need to lower the collective lever to start an emergency descent, while adjusting the cyclic control for an airspeed of 60 knots, which MUST be maintained until just before impact,when a normal landing flare, performed at precisely the right altitude, will soften the touch-down.   

In a fixed wing aircraft, landing options are even further limited by the need for a runway, and the danger of a stall and crash if airspeed is not maintained during the glide in.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Jarus(m): 6:11am On Oct 24, 2010
Certainly, it's an Helicopter.
It's an emergency landing. No, it's not an emergency landing, it's to survey the area before presidential visit.
Which one do we believe? A nation of confusionists
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Jakumo(m): 6:23am On Oct 24, 2010
You may be right that there was no emergency, Jarus, and that it was simply a helicopter landing to deliver an advanced party of military bodyguards, detailed to scope out the area before main aerial armada showed up with El Presidente. 

To students seeing a helo land for the first time in their school yard, that rotor wash and thumping engine noise would have been enough to induce panic for sure.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by idupaul: 7:55am On Oct 24, 2010
this jakumo is funny. 60 knots indeeds, cyclic pitch. seems he was the one flying the chopper.lol. @ rest. Yes its possible for a STOL <short take off/landing> to make landings and take off on about 150metre dirt runway. But from the story it looks like a chopper thing.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by wesley80(m): 8:01am On Oct 24, 2010
And am i the only one that noticed the 8year old child genius in JSS 1?
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Jakumo(m): 8:11am On Oct 24, 2010
idupaul:

this jakumo is funny. 60 knots indeeds, cyclic pitch. seems he was the one flying the chopper.lol.

Find out a little more about AUTO-ROTATION in helos, specifically the Robinson R22, Mr.Paul, and then you may discern that my summary was not made up.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by idupaul: 8:26am On Oct 24, 2010
Jakumo . I know u jst narrated a text book whirlie decent procedure . But i am saying an emergency in a copter mite be caused by many things frm faults in the avionics bay to mechanical stuff like a tail rotor failure or main rotor pitch gears syncro failure both of which leaves no room for the use of the elevator vertical lever or the cyclic pitch lever and even both foot bank pedals required for ur 60 knots decent
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Jakumo(m): 8:52am On Oct 24, 2010
Engineer Paul, there is virtually NO safe procedure available to a helo pilot if that tail rotor stops turning or breaks off, as the craft will embark on a death spin right down to the deck, where catastrophic destruction will occur.

If the landing in this new report was in fact an emergency touchdown by a helicopter, then one can safely assume that the tail rotor was still intact and operable, in which case the hastily lowered collective and cyclic-regulated 60 knot airspeed down to landing flare is the normal procedure for an auto-rotate touchdown.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by idupaul: 9:25am On Oct 24, 2010
I thnk we iz saying the same stuff except for ur auto rotate procedure which seems to be derived from a gaming software. bt bottomline u de try for someone who has never flown a whirlie b4.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Jakumo(m): 9:41am On Oct 24, 2010
idupaul:

I thnk we iz saying the same stuff except for your auto rotate procedure which seems to be derived from a gaming software. bt bottomline u de try for someone who has never flown a whirlie b4.

Gaming software ? You have really hurt my feelings now, Engineer, but in keeping with my policy of disclosing no personal details on the net, I will gladly allow you to draw that interesting assumption.

Now, if you will excuse me, I have a few more shots to fire in Grand Theft Auto.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by PhysicsMHD(m): 10:26am On Oct 24, 2010
This Jakumo seems to know a lot of random detailed information. Curious.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by slap1(m): 10:42am On Oct 24, 2010
Where in the world do planes land without a runway and without a crash?
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by LouisThoro: 10:46am On Oct 24, 2010
I initially read the story in Punch (http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201010243321914)and read the comments and I was like, oh, more sensible people in Punch, so, i am like let me check on NairaLand, I am sure it will be there, and alas, here it is. Not surprised about the comments.

Stoopid and idiotic journalism at its best. A plane lands in a school or an an helicopter?

So, if there is emergency in mid air, they should first go and warn the school and students first?

Journalism indeed, wait until SaharaReporters report on this sensationally tomorrow.

Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by slap1(m): 10:47am On Oct 24, 2010
I've noticed that Frank Mba is almost always "unaware" of any serious crime/case? He's really becoming irritating.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by LouisThoro: 10:48am On Oct 24, 2010
and how does this idiotic journalism amount to a nation of confusionists?
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by slap1(m): 10:52am On Oct 24, 2010
LouisThoro:

and how does this idiotic journalism amount to a nation of confusionists?
We all have times when we cross the lines. It's excusable, I think.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by james1(m): 10:57am On Oct 24, 2010
The hell with the reporter;it is a chopper not an airplane.
Reporter's like these can't differentiate chopper's from plane;casting the president in a bad light.
The pupll's can't differentiate either.the teacher's fleeing initiate's the pandominium.it is good to know that no life was lost.
We must all take note before fleeing or taking cover from perceived or imagined danger;many have lost their live's because they run first.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by xterra2(m): 1:18pm On Oct 24, 2010
slap1:

I've noticed that Frank Mba is almost always "unaware" of any serious crime/case? He's really becoming irritating.
Am sure he does not know most crimes, he gets informed like me and you trough the media
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by knotty(m): 1:26pm On Oct 24, 2010
it might be a military aircraft fitted with Vertical Take off and Landing full options, as they say in Auto Section, in which case it would n`t need a runway to operate.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by ITbomb(m): 5:13pm On Oct 24, 2010
slap1:

Where in the world do planes land without a runway and without a crash?
the hollywood movie 'true lies' featured a fighter jet piloted by Arnold scatternigga took off and landed without a runway
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by idupaul: 5:35pm On Oct 24, 2010
@ knotty nigeria does nt own any VTOL aircraft. Infact there arent to many vtols currently in use aside frm advanced thrust vectoring. Popular V Tols are harrier jump jet , the convair pogostick.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by slyboggie(m): 6:43pm On Oct 24, 2010
idupaul:

I thnk we iz saying the same stuff except for your auto rotate procedure which seems to be derived from a gaming software.  bt bottomline u de try for someone who has never flown a whirlie b4.

WTF,     
Auto-rotatation=Gaming software, i dont see hw these two relate.

Jakumo:

Good job by the pilot, regardless of whether that emergency landing was made by a helicopter or a light plane.   Clearly there was some sort of mechanical failure that required fast action, and the pilot was quick thinking enough to set her down on a school playing field, with no damage to lives, property or the airframe.   

In-flight engine failure leaves only a tiny window of opportunity to execute a safe landing, which, if not taken, will result in a crash that could kill all aboard.  In a helicopter, the pilot will IMMEDIATELY need to lower the collective lever to start an emergency descent, while adjusting the cyclic control for an airspeed of 60 knots, which MUST be maintained until just before impact,when a normal landing flare, performed at precisely the right altitude, will soften the touch-down.   

In a fixed wing aircraft, landing options are even further limited by the need for a runway, and the danger of a stall and crash if airspeed is not maintained during the glide in.

U are right, but remember this is  Augusta139(that is, if its the presidential Rotocraft) ,the autoration procedure should be slightly different and also if it was truely an emergency,then i guess the helicopter wouldnt have taken off immediately(Normal procedures)
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Nobody: 8:11pm On Oct 24, 2010
ROTFLMAO grin

Nlders are funny! See everybody claiming 'experts'. grin
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by oge4real(f): 11:08pm On Oct 24, 2010
^^^ Me sef I tire o.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by xty007(f): 11:15pm On Oct 24, 2010
And from Wednesday till now, no apology has been sent to the school, either from the presidency nor the Nigerian Air-force talk more of compensating the victims of the pandemonium,
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by yomalex(m): 11:22pm On Oct 24, 2010
VTOL chikena evry body dey form officer for presidential air fleet undecided
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by Nobody: 11:24pm On Oct 24, 2010
I guess in Nigeria, any machine that flies = airplane/aeroplane.
Re: Pandemonium As Presidential Aircraft Lands On School Premises by LouisThoro: 11:26pm On Oct 24, 2010
Not all Nigerians are daft, blame the journalist not all Nigerians, most Nigerians knows that it is not just anything that flies that is called an aeroplane.

Come on. LOL

What do they take Nigeria and Nigerians for?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Obasanjo, Tinubu can lead Yoruba –Bishop Adebiyi / Meeting Of Biafrans In Russia, Malaysia, Israel, Germany- Photo / Diezani Allegedly Refunds $16million NNPC Stolen Fund

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.