Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,864 members, 7,810,292 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:56 AM

American Bad Habits - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / American Bad Habits (3824 Views)

Some Habits That Will Never Be Fully Accepted In Nigeria / 10 Signs You Need To Make Changes To Yourmoney Habits / Racist Habits Die HARD (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

American Bad Habits by Nobody: 5:01am On Oct 24, 2010
What are some of the worst American influenced bad habits of the younger Nigerian generation(s) that you despise the most? This is directed to those who are living inside of Nigeria specifically but all can answer.

*I am not from Nigeria, I am not EVEN Nigerian but I have parentage in a foreign country outside of America and I see the negative influence American culture has on my own. It's so bad my mother's country is pretty much like another American state lol.

Here are some examples:
Usage of the "N" word
Sagging pants, etc.
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 7:45am On Oct 24, 2010
Calling our lovely sista "b***hes" and "hoes" tongue
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2010
^^WHAT?! angry
Re: American Bad Habits by kieryn(f): 10:28pm On Oct 24, 2010
Personally i think Nigerians who try to imitate American bad habit over exaggerate it. They overuse the N-word, and cuss words. The problem is they watch too much music video and come up with an exaggerated version of an American. Just watch Nollywood version of an American in the movie Royal Pains or any Nollywood movie that has a character from America. American bad habits are very disrespectful no doubt, but when Nigerian imitate them it just down right stupidity, makes you want to slap someone. Frankly, it very annoying.
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 10:36pm On Oct 24, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

^^WHAT?! angry

Why are you getting upset? You asked people to name some things and I did, so what's the problem?
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 12:27am On Oct 25, 2010
^ I'm not "MAD" @you, i just don't like when men call women 'b*tches'.
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 1:13am On Oct 25, 2010
Oooooooh, I see. Sorry o. Had a major brain fart. Please forgive me kiss. Anyway, I get what you're sayin' about the whole name calling thing.
Re: American Bad Habits by bkbabe97y(m): 7:56pm On Oct 25, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

^ I'm not "MAD" @you,  i just don't like when men call women 'b*tches'.

"Too many biyytches wanna be ladies. So, If you a ho, I'ma call you a ho. . . too many biyytches is shady!"

(Jay Z---22 Two's).

True talk.

Disclaimer: Take my rants seriously at your own peril. Youre the one thats gonna catch a heart attack, not me!
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 7:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
BK do you want a spanky spanky on your spanky? you're being a nughty boy angry
Re: American Bad Habits by sunch(m): 4:08pm On Oct 28, 2010
Hey Dark, u rarely show up in d romance sectn anymore.I was actually looking out for u.I was damn surprise 2see u on dis segment.
U tend 2've answerd my question for u.U said u have parentage outside america.Is it in africa or where exactly?Also wats ur luv for dis forum, knwing quite well it's a nigerian forum, though opend to all races? Or do u have any collectn wit d nigerians. &do u have nigerian friends? What's there persons assessment like?
Re: American Bad Habits by africhika(f): 4:33pm On Oct 28, 2010
Inked_Nerd on: October 24, 2010, 12:45 AM:

Calling our lovely sista "b***hes" and "hoes" tongue

agreed.

another one: talking to much!!!!!!!
chei, americans (young and old) talk tooo much and don't hide anything whatsoever
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 3:17am On Oct 29, 2010
africhika:

agreed.

chei, americans (young and old) talk tooo much and don't hide anything whatsoever

Yeah I agree about the American part. I must admit though that has rubbed off on me too. They truely do not hide ANYTHING. I was asking this question because I saw the Nollywood movie "Without Shame" and I noticed how the son was acting rebelious and was sagging his pants and bringing different girls in the house and then I made the assumption that American culture well urban culture anyway, was not something the older generations in Nigeria is very fond of. undecided Cant say that I blame them.

sunch:

Hey Dark, u rarely show up in d romance sectn anymore.I was actually looking out for u.I was damn surprise 2see u on dis segment.
U tend 2've answerd my question for u.U said u have parentage outside america.Is it in africa or where exactly?Also wats your luv for dis forum, knwing quite well it's a nigerian forum, though opend to all races? Or do u have any collectn wit d nigerians. &do u have nigerian friends? What's there persons assessment like?

Lol I like how you are changing the subject  tongue lol. But to answer your questions:
1) My parentage consists of a Jamaican mother and an African American father
2) I have made it my life time mission to study my history and so far found out from family stories/ records and from research that I have ancestry in western and central Africa ( Nigeria, Ghana, Congo, and Cameroon mostly - with some Senegalese and Angolan in there too wink I'm going to do some DNA testing to be more specific ). While I was searching for more info about my lineage I found this website ( and a few offensive topics angry ), I fell inlove with the drama lol and the rest is history!

I have a question for you too! Why did you need/ want to know that?
Re: American Bad Habits by sunch(m): 9:41am On Oct 29, 2010
@mzdarkskin,
Actually there are some chics up in here dat depicts intellects, and u happens to be one of 'em. Do u remembered I said, i like hopping on any thread u posted. It's b'cos am feeling u. Anyway can we meet on facebook so as to get talking d more. Add me as a friend: Sunday Aigere
Re: American Bad Habits by naijadiva2(f): 5:05pm On Oct 29, 2010
africhika:

agreed.

YES! They tell it all. I.e: I could be on the train, all i say is hi to a person, next thing i know, they are spilling their life story to me and im like undecided shocked

There are some ppl i know their whole life story, and i can tell it back to them, i know their family (whom i've never met), their likes and dislikes, their childhood, smh dang too much. Air it all out . . . . .
Re: American Bad Habits by africhika(f): 5:23pm On Oct 29, 2010
^^^ grin grin grin

i sat next to a woman on the train (chicago). i smiled at her. she sits next to me and tells me she is a crack addict mother of 5. homeless and is trying to start a church in downtown chicago. she told me of her childhood, when and how her mother was sexually abused, her grandfather dying of cancer, her last boyfriend, her unpaid hospital bills, her oldest son's prison's record, etc. etc. etc.
all the while, i was trying not to breathe becuz she smelled like VOMIT
Re: American Bad Habits by naijadiva2(f): 5:31pm On Oct 29, 2010
africhika:

^^^ grin grin grin

i sat next to a woman on the train (chicago). i smiled at her. she sits next to me and tells me she is a crack addict mother of 5. homeless and is trying to start a church in downtown chicago. she told me of her childhood, when and how her mother was sexually abused, her grandfather dying of cancer, her last boyfriend, her unpaid hospital bills, her oldest son's prison's record, etc. etc. etc.

ewww, and i hope u mean former/recovering crack addict bcuz i don't think thats something u want to admit freely undecided oh well, these ppl and their tell all therapy embarassed
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 6:32pm On Oct 29, 2010
naija_diva:

YES! They tell it all. I.e: I could be on the train, all i say is hi to a person, next thing i know, they are spilling their life story to me and im like  undecided shocked

There are some ppl i  know their whole life story, and i can tell it back to them, i know their family (whom i've never met), their likes and dislikes, their childhood, smh dang too much. Air it all out . . . . .

Lmaaaaaaoooooo, girl you sound like your on the train here in NY--too funny grin. Ya see, that's why you always gotta carry your iPod or a book. Chai, even books attract unwanted attention. I remember about 3 or 4 months ago, I was on the bus on my way to the Bronx and this Rastafarian saw me reading "Pedagogy of the Oppressed". The man had no idea what he was talkin' about and kept tryin' to get me to explain different terms to him and the worst part is he was spitting!!!  angry angry angry. Then he proceeds to tell me about his views on life and black people. Smh, he was jumping from one subject to another meanwhile, I barely said more than 5 sentences to him.
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 7:36pm On Oct 29, 2010
africhika:

^^^ grin grin grin

Still wondering what this get to do with the thread itself.
Re: American Bad Habits by naijadiva2(f): 7:38pm On Oct 29, 2010
@inked_nerd

^^^ LOL oh my, I dont do ipods becuz ipod theft is on the rise and besides i need to be alert, too many crazies. Matter of fact, about 3 yrs ago, i was listening to my ipod on the train and some young fool sat next to me, took one of my ear piece thingy and started listening to music with me  shocked WTF, I was so shocked that somebody would do something like that i didn't say anything then he takes it out of his ear and gets off the train, lol omg too much for me. i just ready the daily express paper that they distribute every morning.
Re: American Bad Habits by naijadiva2(f): 7:39pm On Oct 29, 2010
REALITY101:

Still wondering what this get to do with the thread itself.

has lots to do with the thread, bad american habit: spilling their whole life story like they know u from adam whereas u just met them 5 mins ago.
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 12:00am On Oct 30, 2010
@ Sunch awe! thats so sweet of you. I do not have a face book. . .or twitter undecided I am on myspace tho. (I know its played out lol).

@Topic: My boyfriend isn't Nigerian but he is Cameroonian (close enough lol) and he lived in one of the WORST places in America that ANY immigrant who wants to hold on to tradition could live. . .Washington, D.C.! LOL. He uses the word "ni.gga" like nothing! And he buys into the "black people love chicken, black people are ghetto by nature so let's embrace it" mentality  tongue and I have to keep reminding him he is African lol. Although like most Africans (men in particular) that I know he is rather secretive about his PERSONAL life he too will share too much information about some things and he told me everyone in D.C. was like that and he got used to it. He's just wrapped up into the lifestyle sadly. It's not just him either. Liberian, Sierra Leonean, Nigerian, Somalian, Ethiopian (etc) friends of ours behave in the same manner (some), saggin their pants and referring to beautiful girls they see as "fine b*tches" and how they would "hit it" angry mind you we are talking about COLLEGE STUDENTS! Grown arse men/ women!

Maybe my issue is that I have extemely high expectations for Africans as I see Africans as the teachers on the black race, which is true! I mean only an African can teach me as a Jamaican how to behave or think like one - in respects to culture and how to carry myself, so when I see a African youth behaving like we do in America and even in Jamaica, I feel a way about it lol. I dont know is it is just me. When I think of Africans I think of pride and dignity to be frank I think of standard. It's wrong but sometimes when I hear an American black person say "ni.gga" its almost like it doesnt faze me. I am being a bit hypocrital I will admit because I too use "n.igga" as a term of endearment or to curse someone but. . .idk how to explain it lol. I guess I see how easy it is to buy into mainstream culture but I also know it is not always a good thing.
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 7:37am On Oct 30, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

Maybe my issue is that I have extemely high expectations for Africans as I see Africans as the teachers on the black race, which is true! I mean only an African can teach me as a Jamaican how to behave or think like one - in respects to culture and how to carry myself, so when I see a African youth behaving like we do in America and even in Jamaica, I feel a way about it lol. I dont know is it is just me. When I think of Africans I think of pride and dignity to be frank I think of standard. It's wrong but sometimes when I hear an American black person say "ni.gga" its almost like it doesnt faze me. I am being a bit hypocrital I will admit because I too use "n.igga" as a term of endearment or to curse someone but. . .idk how to explain it lol. I guess I see how easy it is to buy into mainstream culture but I also know it is not always a good thing.

Ya know its not the first time I've heard people say that. My sister's best friend is from Belize and she thinks the same thing as well. I remember on time when I was around some Jamaican men and I while they were talking, one of then asked me where I was from and someone said "She's Jamaican." and I told them I was Nigerian and they to pay extra attention to me and started to talk about how they Africans carry themselves so well compared to the black people in the US. I didn't really think anything of it at first until I started hearing other people say things like that.

naija_diva:

@inked_nerd

^^^ LOL oh my, I dont do ipods becuz ipod theft is on the rise and besides i need to be alert, too many crazies. Matter of fact, about 3 yrs ago, i was listening to my ipod on the train and some young fool sat next to me, took one of my ear piece thingy and started listening to music with me  shocked WTF, I was so shocked that somebody would do something like that i didn't say anything then he takes it out of his ear and gets off the train, lol omg too much for me. i just ready the daily express paper that they distribute every morning.

Oh no, that is too much for me. I would have been so freaked out. loooooool, my sister was on the train on time and she was reading a book and some man was lookin' at the book while she was reading and when she turned the page the dude sucked is teeth and said he wasn't done with the page.
Re: American Bad Habits by AngieFan(f): 11:30am On Oct 30, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

Oh no, that is too much for me. I would have been so freaked out. loooooool, my sister was on the train on time and she was reading a book and some man was lookin' at the book while she was reading and when she turned the page the dude sucked is teeth and said he wasn't done with the page.

LOOOOOOL! The nerve of some folks!

Bad habits.

Using the N word. I don't know if anyone remembers the pic from Malawi below.

I saw it being discussed on an African American board and I was so embarrassed. There was one time I tried to explain to an older relative in Nigeria that the term 'N***' was highly offensive but she just didn't get it. This same relative also happened to be in the UK when a Big Brother contestant was immediately evicted for casually using that word. .  .still she didn't get it.

I hate to see a grown man walking around with sagging pants. As Obama said "Pull them up!"
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 30, 2010
LMFAO@ the guy who "wasn't finished reading".

@Inked yea. Seriously I have a huge amount of respect for Africans. When an middle aged/ older African woman talks to me I SWEAR, I am more attentive and see her as "a mother". I seriously am going to ask ppl around me if they see it the same way. Its wierd but its automatic for me.

@Angiefan that picture is JUST sad. I know in the U.K. the word "N.igger" is widely known and has meaning to it but I think for Americans its much more significant. I am not surprised when some Africans are not aware of the meaning however when it is EXPLAINED to them what it means and they continue to use it, thats when it's an issue.

As for me I am seriously reserving that word for idiots. In America is is so common white people are called "wiggas", Mexicans "Miggas", Chinese "Chiggas" (All asians really because most Americans believe China = Asia); etc LOL. Its rediculous but its accepted. So anyone regardless of race who does dumb schitt is acting "n.ggarish" but I wont use it as a term of endearment anymore because I refuse to continue to be two sided.
Re: American Bad Habits by naijadiva2(f): 3:46pm On Nov 01, 2010

LOL what? he better get his own book then.

As for me I am seriously reserving that word for idiots. In America is is so common white people are called "wiggas", Mexicans "Miggas", Chinese "Chiggas" (All asians really because most Americans believe China = Asia); etc LOL. Its rediculous but its accepted. So anyone regardless of race who does dumb schitt is acting "n.ggarish" but I wont use it as a term of endearment anymore because I refuse to continue to be two sided.

LOL okay those are new to me, never heard those words used b4. Miggas? . . . . lol and latinos say nigga all the time but apparently they have a nigga pass so they're cool undecided And the only time it is "tolerated" for a white person to use that word too is if all his friends are black or he's hood like eminem. smh
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 7:03am On Nov 02, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

LMFAO@ the guy who "wasn't finished reading".

@Inked yea. Seriously I have a huge amount of respect for Africans. When an middle aged/ older African woman talks to me I SWEAR, I am more attentive and see her as "a mother". I seriously am going to ask ppl around me if they see it the same way. Its wierd but its automatic for me.

@Angiefan that picture is JUST sad. I know in the U.K. the word "N.igger" is widely known and has meaning to it but I think for Americans its much more significant. I am not surprised when some Africans are not aware of the meaning however when it is EXPLAINED to them what it means and they continue to use it, thats when it's an issue.

I know what you mean about paying attention. When my grandmother tells me stuff about when she was growing up in Nigeria I pay extra attention because I know there may be information that I'd like to pass down to my children [if I have any some day]. As for most Americans thinking China = Asia, you are totally right. I remember on time when I was talking to some friends and I told them that I met a cute Asian guy at a club my friend was performing at. When I told my friends they asked me what country he was from and I said India and they all looked at me like this >>>  . When I asked them why they were looking at me when I said he was Indian they told me he wasn't Asian because he's Indian and he didn't have chinky eyes. At that moment, I was like "WTF?!?!". I was bit shocked that they made such a comment. At that moment, I made sure I let 'em have it, ever since then, they've never said anything like that again.

naija_diva:

LOL what? he better get his own book then.

LOL okay those are new to me, never heard those words used b4. Miggas? . . . . lol and latinos say nigga all the time but apparently they have a nigga pass so they're cool  undecided  And the only time it is "tolerated" for a white person to use that word too is if all his friends are black or he's hood like eminem. smh

lol, all these weirdo on the train makes you wanna get a car grin   
Re: American Bad Habits by bkbabe97y(m): 12:09pm On Nov 02, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

I pay extra attention because I know there may be information that I'd like to pass down to my children [if I have any some day].

Oh, trust me, u having some! I'm still smashing, remember? And me, when I smash, I smash to impregnate. . . . So, there u have it!

naija_diva:

And the only time it is "tolerated" for a white person to use that word too is if [b]all his friends are black or he's hood like eminem. smh[/b]

And not even then. . . Oh, and Eminem DEFINITELY aint hood!
Re: American Bad Habits by bkbabe97y(m): 6:17pm On Nov 03, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

. Liberian, Sierra Leonean, Nigerian, Somalian, Ethiopian (etc) friends of ours behave in the same manner (some), saggin their pants and referring to beautiful girls they see as "fine b*tches" and how they would "hit it" angry mind you we are talking about COLLEGE STUDENTS! Grown arse men/ women!

But its true, we really love yall hos. Cant u see?

Whats wrong with us trying to hit it?
Re: American Bad Habits by InkedNerd(f): 5:08am On Nov 10, 2010
bk.babe97y:

Oh, trust me, u having some! I'm still smashing, remember? And me, when I smash, I smash to impregnate. . . . So, there u have it!

The the only thing you're gonna smashing is your hands between your legs grin

bk.babe97y:

But its true, we really love yall hos. Cant u see?

Whats wrong with us trying to hit it?

Smh, can't wait till you have a daughter and some man starts speakin' to her like that.
Re: American Bad Habits by bkbabe97y(m): 10:24am On Nov 11, 2010
Inked_Nerd:

The the only thing you're gonna smashing is your hands between your legs grin

Smh, can't wait till you have a daughter and some man starts speakin' to her like that.

Yeah, right! I'm hittn that P**sy of urs and u know it! lol

I do have a daughter, but no nigga dare. Hey, u wanna have another for me?
Re: American Bad Habits by Nobody: 3:22pm On Nov 11, 2010
^^BK baby SMH, you are the EPITOMY of an American bad habit LOL.
Re: American Bad Habits by bkbabe97y(m): 6:58pm On Nov 11, 2010
MzDarkSkin:

^^BK baby SMH, you are the EPITOMY of an American bad habit LOL.

Lol. No, Im not!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yoruba Traditional Marriage Is Actually Very Expensive. / Check Out Our 36 States / My Neighbors Mother-in-law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.