Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,753 members, 7,820,608 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:07 PM

What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? - Fashion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? (11759 Views)

Saggy Breasts? Get In Here! / What Is Wrong With This Photo(pineapple Head Edition) / What Is Wrong With This Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by bong4(m): 3:41pm On Oct 25, 2010
@poster, you think sagging or whatever you call it is about employment. I pity you as an entrepreneur trying to market your products looking like an improper fraction all in the name of fashion. Try getting yourself introduced to a ladies family wearing sagged trousers. Whatever the outcome of the meeting should advise you better. Grow up!!!
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 3:46pm On Oct 25, 2010
The only thing wrong with sagging is the fact that, like hiphop, it started from the underclass black America.
It's just pure snobbery shown by the middle-class against them . . . and since they rule, they can pass their opinions as logical.
And this is heavily supported by conservative Africans that are scared of any sort of change in the way things are done.

Sagging when not obscene/offensive is self expression and it's a constitutional human right . . . y'all need to take the chill pill.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by chamotex(m): 3:55pm On Oct 25, 2010
It depends on what you are wearing, where you are going and how you do it.
Some new jeans are even designed for sagging.

As long as it's not obscene in a way that is showing off your arse or dirty boxers . . . it's cool.
Just slightly below the waist is aite for me . . . it gives me breathing space cool cool
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by LeStylo: 4:06pm On Oct 25, 2010
S A G G I N ' = N I G G A S ! ! !

We can do better than be slaves of an unworthy nomenclature. Dress with sense!
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dexmond: 4:15pm On Oct 25, 2010
@ Osama10

Its a free world man, do whatever comes to your mind.

But remember that freedom comes with responsibilty. Do those things that are right not those things that come to your mind even when they are offensive to the society.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:23pm On Oct 25, 2010
when you read comments like some on this thread, it reminds you of how silly and futile it is to actually engage some of the people you meet online in a conversation.

just read up and marvel at the I.Q, or lack of it of your fellow Nlanders, anytime you wanna get into a tiff with anyone, remember this thread and direct your energies to much more fruitful pursuits. lipsrsealed
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Ranoscky(m): 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2010
konfessor:

i see nothing bad in sagging but the society we live in is so narrow minded that all they do is criticise what really has no impact on anything,
tell me how sagging decreases the productivity or creativity of a person? no way! or how does it make a person more holy or unholy? still peeps go at as tho it is one big deal.
if a man wants to sag, to him, it is simply a fashion statement or somtin tthat apeals to him!
we should learn to address issues that really affect people , not some fashion orientation that has no effect on anything!

Enjoy broda !!!
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dayokanu(m): 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2010
Whats wrong in sagged pants? There are some places you cant go to with sagged pants but there is nowhere you cant go with your pants worn right
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 5:12pm On Oct 25, 2010
dayokanu:

Whats wrong in sagged pants? There are some places you cant go to with sagged pants but there is nowhere you cant go with your pants worn right

A DMX concert . . . don't sag and you'll get robbed. grin grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Woke4all(m): 5:14pm On Oct 25, 2010
What's wrong with this?  LMAO
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dayokanu(m): 5:29pm On Oct 25, 2010
eldee:

A DMX concert . . . don't sag and you'll get robbed. grin grin

You might be viewed as one of DMX's financial adviser but the guy that sags get stopped by the cops every block
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by DamiKhojie(m): 5:32pm On Oct 25, 2010
I don't mind sagged pants but there is such a thing as too muchyou should be able to cover your boxers/underwear with ur shirt
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Nobody: 5:35pm On Oct 25, 2010
Sagging is a dress sense. It could mean anything from being gay, to being funky, to even malnourishment, some people use the word sagged for being broke. So sagging could mean different things in different contexts.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 5:35pm On Oct 25, 2010
dayokanu:

You might be viewed as one of DMX's financial adviser but the guy that sags get stopped by the cops every block

That's the more reason to jack you . . . and also b-ball courts too.
Because they stop and search people for racist reasons doesn't mean it's right.

It's all about dressing appropriate for the place and time. . . it's self expression, sagging in your neighbourhood says, 'yeah I think rappers are cool' or 'I'm balling' . . . yeah you think that's immature, but it's not when you're in your 20s and you know you're wearing a 3-piece suit to church the next day.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dayokanu(m): 6:03pm On Oct 25, 2010
It doesnt necesarily have to be racist, White boys sag as well and anyone sagging might risk being pulled by the cops . Just like anyone wearing singlet only.

The fact is people get profiled for their dressing all over the world.  If cops are raiding for ashawos and they see a girl in skirt suit on Allen Avenue at 10pm they wont suspect her of being a hooker despite being in a notorious location at that time of the night. Racism is not a factor there.

Lemme ask you if you meet 2 youths in an alley one with a singlet and sagged pants and the other with shirts and pants worn properly, Which one would you think is more of a security risk.

If you take a friend home and he sags and he is with his singlet only and another with a T-shirt and jeans worn properly, Which one would your mom look at suspiciously.

NOTE that all cases are black to blacks and within the same race
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by buzugee(m): 6:41pm On Oct 25, 2010
i think men with big yansh should definitely sag so as to hide the big yansh. nothing as ridiculous as seeing a man with big yansh with his trousers worn right and the big yansh pulls the leg of the trouser at the back upwards so that you can see his socks. and by big yansh men, i am refering to all african men lmao. yall got big gigantic women yansh. you have to sag to keep your trousers even on your shoes grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by DamiKhojie(m): 7:05pm On Oct 25, 2010
Oh yeah I forgot to mention in some places here you can get arrested/fined for sagging your pants. That's something to look out for grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by kardinalP(m): 7:10pm On Oct 25, 2010
its allowed when the pants re clean and the ass is great to look at, not one guy with a very dirty boxer wey them never wash for like 29days embarassed, im go come dey sag for ur front, maybe for inside danfo when im wan come down from the bus angry, or the girl go wear pant wey hole dey and the elastic for the pant don change colour cool,
Na people wey wear better pant or boxers suppose dey sag, grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 7:14pm On Oct 25, 2010
dayokanu:

It doesnt necesarily have to be racist, White boys sag as well and anyone sagging might risk being pulled by the cops . Just like anyone wearing singlet only.

The fact is people get profiled for their dressing all over the world.  If cops are raiding for ashawos and they see a girl in skirt suit on Allen Avenue at 10pm they wont suspect her of being a hooker despite being in a notorious location at that time of the night. Racism is not a factor there.

Lemme ask you if you meet 2 youths in an alley one with a singlet and sagged pants and the other with shirts and pants worn properly, Which one would you think is more of a security risk.

If you take a friend home and he sags and he is with his singlet only and another with a T-shirt and jeans worn properly, Which one would your mom look at suspiciously.

NOTE that all cases are black to blacks and within the same race

As I said, you should choose the appropriate time and place.
I won't  wear sagging skinny jeans to your mum's house , why?? Because I'm going to your mum's house. That's like wearing a suit to a rock concert.

And you seem to lump sagging jeans with everything else(Lil Wayne vests, tattoed all over and piercing in the lips), I'm wearing a jumper right now and I'm sagging the jeans, I don't look suspicious . . . I do that all the time and I've never been stopped and searched . . .  

That said, it's not racism . . . it's classism. And that's the easiest type of discrimination to get away with in this world.
You look at someone and suspect them because they dress in a way that's more identified with poor people . . . they do it, don't mean it's right.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Phate07(m): 7:52pm On Oct 25, 2010

Saggin i know not, but methinks i know of niggas. tongue
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dayokanu(m): 7:56pm On Oct 25, 2010
Classism,

I wont say its wrong but its stamped on everyones mind and almost everyone has done it at some point in time.

The girl in the picture abov might be a first class student in MIT but the first impression of her is that she is a low life.

Funny enough when people make this kind of generalisation they are often right

If you see a scantily dressed lady by the roadside of Allen avenue at night, You think she is a hooker and in most cases you are right.

If you dont mind how people view you then you shouldnt have a problem.

Next time when someone robs a store in your area dont be surprised if a black granny tells the cops "I usually see some young boys with sagged pants hanging around that corner in the evening"

Na so dem go carry you go Kirikiri LOL cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Nobody: 8:06pm On Oct 25, 2010
U r stil a kid@poster
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Image123(m): 10:41pm On Oct 25, 2010
Sagging- it started/ was made popular by prisoners. Prisoners are not allowed to use belts on their trousers/pants to avoid them harming themselves or others. Because there's no belt to tighten the trousers, it's usually left to hang. So people who've spent long time in prison may consciously/unconsciously form this sagging habit. Over time, youths have seen it in prison films majorly and have turned it into fashion. So now it's popular with thugs, street urchins, rappers/musicians and co who themselves are prison material. It actually goes to prove the degenerated state of man, and how he's more easily influenced by negatives than good. A child of God, not to speak of a responsible person has no business copying prisonic fashion but should be a light/model, showing others the right way.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by jerryuzo(m): 11:03pm On Oct 25, 2010
angry ok bros u wana continue sagging,it is total an indecent way of dressing .Those that involves in sagging of pants have some psychological problems that requires a psychologist.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 11:05pm On Oct 25, 2010
Classism,

I wont say its wrong but its stamped on everyones mind and almost everyone has done it at some point in time.

The girl in the picture abov might be a first class student in MIT but the first impression of her is that she is a low life.
Classism is still bad no matter how you look at it, but right now we've got bigger issues like Racism and sexism to battle with first, your grandkids will definitely find it weird in their time I promise you.

About the girl, that's why I said there are boundaries even in your freedom of expression. You owe a responsibility not to offend others and to this you're given discretion that should contain the average reasonable person.

You know why we do it?? Because it's cool. And we're still at the age where it's allowed to do things based on that simple reason.
And I still have the right to . . . but old people like you will not get off my case till I start wearing suit to play football. grin grin

Image123:

Sagging- it started/ was made popular by prisoners. Prisoners are not allowed to use belts on their trousers/pants to avoid them harming themselves or others. Because there's no belt to tighten the trousers, it's usually left to hang. So people who've spent long time in prison may consciously/unconsciously form this sagging habit. Over time, youths have seen it in prison films majorly and have turned it into fashion. So now it's popular with thugs, street urchins, rappers/musicians and co who themselves are prison material. It actually goes to prove the degenerated state of man, and how he's more easily influenced by negatives than good. A child of God, not to speak of a responsible person has no business copying prisonic fashion but should be a light/model, showing others the right way.

Dayo . . . this is an example of the class snobbery I was talking about, because they don't live Ikoyi makes them second class citizens?? Because they don't wear a tie means they're sinners. As usual, God is used as an excuse for the worst evils.
People paint things bad because of it's origins.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by MissyB3(f): 11:20pm On Oct 25, 2010
eldee:

As I said, you should choose the appropriate time and place.
I won't  wear sagging skinny jeans to your mum's house , why?? Because I'm going to your mum's house. That's like wearing a suit to a rock concert.

And you seem to lump sagging jeans with everything else(Lil Wayne vests, tattoed all over and piercing in the lips), I'm wearing a jumper right now and I'm sagging the jeans, I don't look suspicious . . . I do that all the time and I've never been stopped and searched . . .  

That said, it's not racism . . . it's classism. And that's the easiest type of discrimination to get away with in this world.
You look at someone and suspect them because they dress in a way that's more identified with poor people . . . they do it, don't mean it's right.
I want to see. grin grin
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by Ndipe(m): 11:22pm On Oct 25, 2010
Some of us would blindly follow the doings of AA people at the detriment of our own dignity. Sagging pants, what will be next tomorrow? Wearing briefs to make a statement publicly?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-145355.160.html
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dayokanu(m): 12:13am On Oct 26, 2010
About the girl, that's why I said there are boundaries even in your freedom of expression. You owe a responsibility not to offend others and to this you're given discretion that should contain the average reasonable person.

Dont you think some people might find you exposing your boxers offensive
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 12:20am On Oct 26, 2010
dayokanu:

Dont you think some people might find you exposing your boxers offensive

Will some people find it offensive?? Yes.
Will the reasonable person at my local park find it offensive?? NO!!!

It's a test of reasonableness, you won't believe it, some people find women's cleavages offensive, some people find ladies in mini-skirts offensive, some people(All Arsenal fans) even find Dayokanu's existence offesive. grin grin
I think it's unreasonable to say you find boxers offensive if all I'm doing is sitting in the park or at a hiphop concert.
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by dayokanu(m): 12:25am On Oct 26, 2010
So why should you think the girl in the picture has offended others.

She can give your exact reasons for "sagging"
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by alphabet43(m): 12:27am On Oct 26, 2010
Sagging pants originates from prison and it's common among black Americans that are uneducated. Black Americans have hard enough time with stereotypes and discrimination and do not need the Saggy pants to fuel it. The sterotypes wether justified or not have made it more difficult for black Americans in society, especially when it comes to seeking jobs or other opportunities thus leading to low socio economic status in society. So if that's what you choose to emulate, more power to you
Re: What Is Wrong With Saggy Pants? by eldee(m): 12:45am On Oct 26, 2010
dayokanu:

So why should you think the girl in the picture has offended others.

She can give your exact reasons for "sagging"

That's why I gave reasonableness as a yardstick. . . sagging on a b-ball court is reasonable(you have to show your Ralph Lauren boxers), same way if she were to be in a stripper's club, that would have been reasonable.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

For Jeans Addicts Only: Come On In / Nneoma Anosike Wins Elite Model Look 2013 / My 14 Year Old Sister Could Be Bleaching!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.