Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,468 members, 7,816,101 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change (2276 Views)

Solution To Oil Shortage And Smoking Engines / 10 Symptoms That Your Car Needs An Oil Change / Reasons You Always Have Engine Oil Shortage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 9:09am On Aug 29, 2019
Hello pros,

We got the Nigerian used highlander 2010 but we were told they used the popular Mobil xhp 20w50, we changed the oil to the recommended 5w30, after about a month, we noticed some smoke but it wasn’t frequent, it comes once in a while.

Oil was changed in May and as at now, it has ran 1,200 but the car has started showing “oil maintenance needed”, mechanic said there is a shortage of oil, pls what should we do? Top the oil or change the oil completely?
Should we continue with 5w30 or go back to 20w50?

Some images below, thank you
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 9:10am On Aug 29, 2019
Picture

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 9:11am On Aug 29, 2019
Pictures

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 9:13am On Aug 29, 2019
Picturess

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 9:18am On Aug 29, 2019
This is the oil we used

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by Gazuzz(m): 10:28am On Aug 29, 2019
I only recommend Mobil1 5w30 from the pictures oil burn is minimal so continue driving

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by Crixie(m): 10:32am On Aug 29, 2019
ebrahym:
This is the oil we used
I don't trust this Hardex oil @ all
There are so many other wonderful brands better than this

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by diehard1: 10:53am On Aug 29, 2019
I believe the message you saw is on the maintenance console "oil maintenance required soon replace oil soon." The oil has not gone down from what i can see on your dipstick. When you serviced the car did you reset the counter? Normally after servicing the car you have to reset, so that the car will activate the message at I think around 5000 miles or so. Continue driving. Use this procedure to reset the light next time you service..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZW_3T6yAM

2 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 3:26pm On Aug 29, 2019
Next service by God’s grace, we will procure this particular one, thank you sir
Gazuzz:
I only recommend Mobil1 5w30 from the pictures oil burn is minimal so continue driving
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 3:27pm On Aug 29, 2019
Crixie:

I don't trust this Hardex oil @ all
There are so many other wonderful brands better than this

This is duly noted, so done with hardex, Mobil one next. Thank you
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 3:27pm On Aug 29, 2019
diehard1:
I believe the message you saw is on the maintenance console "oil maintenance required soon replace oil soon." The oil has not gone down from what i can see on your dipstick. When you serviced the car did you reset the counter? Normally after servicing the car you have to reset, so that the car will activate the message at I think around 5000 miles or so. Continue driving. Use this procedure to reset the light next time you service..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwZW_3T6yAM

This is very helpful, I’m going right away to try this
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2019
Thank you very much, you responses has been very helpful, our auto mechanic came back and said the oil might be leaking via “Valve seal”, the engine body was a bit soaked with visible oil so he suggested we replace the “valve seal”
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by StCapital: 8:22am On Aug 30, 2019
Ebrahym@ I was using mobil to service my toyota corrola 2006 until I discovered that it does not gauge my engine after driving for some weeks within town, I complained to my mechanic he told me that other people are complaining about the same issue, he said I should buy total oil for my next servicing, since then I have been using Total oil and my engine gauges.I think the problem is from the mobil oil ,I think they reduced the quality or the problem is from the valve seal your mechanic is suspecting.

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by mejai(m): 9:08am On Aug 30, 2019
Toyota and oil burning aka consumption... Na 5&6

3 Likes

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:29am On Aug 30, 2019
ebrahym:
Thank you very much, you responses has been very helpful, our auto mechanic came back and said the oil might be leaking via “Valve seal”, the engine body was a bit soaked with visible oil so he suggested we replace the “valve seal”

let me break it down for you

the "oil maintainance needed" as it has been said by someone your "oil reset" wasnt reset when you changed the oil, what is oil reset or service soon, every car has a service soon reminder, there is a counting of mileage eg service reminder eg every 1200miles so if you change oil before the 1200 miles the car will still continue with count then it will trigger the service soon even when you had changed the oils few hours ago, this is to the fact that the oils reset was done, the car's computer will only know if service was done via resetting the oil reset

in your case the reset was not done, it just need an oil reset done

as for the valve theory i suggest you wait and monitor because you were using a thick oil before and there is still a mixture of the old oil and the of new oil, remember when you do service there is always oil left in the engine

1 Like

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 4:50pm On Aug 30, 2019
ZIMDRILL:

let me break it down for you

the "oil maintainance needed" as it has been said by someone your "oil reset" wasnt reset when you changed the oil, what is oil reset or service soon, every car has a service soon reminder, there is a counting of mileage eg service reminder eg every 1200miles so if you change oil before the 1200 miles the car will still continue with count then it will trigger the service soon even when you had changed the oils few hours ago, this is to the fact that the oils reset was done, the car's computer will only know if service was done via resetting the oil reset

in your case the reset was not done, it just need an oil reset done

as for the valve theory i suggest you wait and monitor because you were using a thick oil before and there is still a mixture of the old oil and the of new oil, remember when you do service there is always oil left in the engine

Thank you, you were absolutely correct about the reset, it wasn’t done when the oil was changed
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by ebrahym(m): 4:52pm On Aug 30, 2019
Going with what @Gazzuz mentioned, the oil is still gauged hence, I didn’t top the oil.

A reset on maintenance was done successfully, thanks to the poster and the YouTube video.

The verve seal was replaced.

Now I will be driving the car as well as close monitoring for other updates, thanks a lot, you guys have been very helpful
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by Readonee35L(m): 6:51am On Apr 14, 2020
mejai:
I tire bros.
That burning oil is a must
Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by weyreypey: 7:02am On Apr 14, 2020
mejai:

Re: Oil Shortage After Service And Oil Change by weyreypey: 7:03am On Apr 14, 2020
Readonee35L:

I tire bros.
That burning oil is a must
They're quick to insult German vehicles

(1) (Reply)

Lexus Es330 2005 Model For Sale / . / OMG! What An Ugly Kit Car!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.