Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,092 members, 7,811,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:58 PM

SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria (6187 Views)

‘it’s Skewed Against Us’, Northern Senators Query Tinubu’s 2024 Budget / Distribution Of ₦‎500bn Palliatives Skewed Against North – Kano Government / Fresh ANAP/NOI Poll Skewed To Encourage Peter Obi’s Supporters – APC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by spectroscopic: 3:21pm On Sep 04, 2019
Copied from Facebook

SA vs Nigeria – I am sorry, but the field is skewed.
Yesterday, instead of reprisal looting and burning, I suggested a seizure of so-called SA companies by the Federal Government of Nigeria for the sole purpose of compensations for the dead and for properties destroyed by xenophobes in South Africa (SA). Seizure while negotiating would have allowed Nigeria a little wiggle room in a situation that is already badly skewed against it. If the Nigerian govt was alive and working, it would have known that a reprisal was looming and would have been proactive to counter such. But the government is dead and decaying. So, not much is expected of it. Alas, today, there have been news of looting and burning of SA companies across Nigeria.
The big question though is, who really owns the so-called South African companies in Nigeria? The looters, before bringing their looting and burning barbarism into the situation, made no effort to ask that simple question- how would they, bunch of hungry touts. Guess what? For the first time, I am agreeing with a government official, Lai Mohamed, who said Nigeria will stand to lose more if we destroy so-called South African investments in Nigeria. Here are a few signs that is true. Does anyone believe for a second that a company from SA will invest billions in Nigeria without significant, if not equal or more co-investment by Nigerians? Just as an example, take a look at the Board and Management of MTN.
Board:
Dr. Pascal Gabriel Dozie, CON
Chairman, Board of Directors
Col. Muhammed Sani Bello (rtd)
Vice Chairman, Board of Directors
Ahmed Dasuki
Non-Executive Director
Ferdi Moolman
Executive Director
Mr. Gbenga Oyebode
Non-Executive Director
Jens Schulte-Bockum
Non-Executive Director
Karl Olutokun Toriola
Executive Director
Paul Norman
Non-Executive Director
Ralph Mupita
Non-Executive Director
Mr. Rhidwaan Gasant
Independent Non-Executive Director
Rob Shuter
Executive Director
Chief Victor Odili, OON
Non-Executive Director
Dr. Ernest Ndukwe
Non-Executive Director
Babatunde Folawiyo
Non-Executive Director

How is that a truly SA-owned company? You know what it could mean to be on the Board of a profit-making company, right? In case you don't, it could mean you have substantial shares in it.
Management:
Ferdi Moolman
Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Adekunle Awobodu
Chief Financial Officer (CFO)
Adekunle Adebiyi
Chief Sales & Distribution Officer (CSDO)
Lynda Saint-Nwafor
Chief Enterprise Business Officer (CEBO)
Esther Akinnukawe
Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO)
Rahul DE
Chief Marketing Officer (CMO)
Tobechukwu Okigbo
Chief Corporate Relations Officer (CCRO)
Mohammed Rufai
Chief Technical Officer (CTO)
Ugonwa Nwoye
Chief Customer Services Officer (CCSO)
Uto Ukpanah
Company Secretary
Randy Bikraj
Chief Information officer (CIO)
Cyril Ilok
Chief Risk & Compliance Officer (CRCO)
Mazen Mroue
Chief Operating Officer
Bayo Adekanbi
Chief Transformation Officer (CTO)
Srivinas Rao
Chief Digital Officer (CDO)
Do a quick math and tell me the ratio of Nigerians to non-Nigerians on the list. Take a minute to google similar information for DSTV, STANBIC Bank and others. Many of the smaller investments such as Shoprite, I bet you, are SA franchises owned locally by Nigerians too. Now, you are actually looting and burning your own investments. You are sending millions of your own employed and under-employed back to the gutters of unemployment; and SA folks are laughing at you right now. To make matters worse, the looters looted all shops in a Mall, without asking which is Nigerian-owned. I watched a video of a Nigerian woman who owned a store in the Mall in Lagos where Shoprite was looted. Her store was looted alongside, and she was weeping and lamenting. Nigeria has not provided employment for the old unemployed. How can they do so for the newly unemployed?
Information from the internet indicates that there are about 30K+ Nigerians living in SA. This number is likely for those staying there legally and accounted for. Thousands more will be there illegally and those are some of the ones giving the South Africans a reason to be xenophobic. I watched a TV panel of South Africans analyzing some of these issues yesterday. I both agreed and disagreed with some of their points. Now, there are 100s of Nigerian professors in the best universities in SA. Take, for example, Prof Linus Opara who is a world-class Post Harvest Scientist and FAO-grade Consultant and a Research Chair at University of Stellenbosch. Take also Prof Eno Ebenso, who is a Dean at North West University and one of the most cited researchers in the world in the field of Physical Chemistry. There are also 100s of Nigerian doctors in SA hospitals; some even own their own clinics (please watch a video I shared yesterday for an indication of that fact). Then there are traders, artisans, small services providers, students and others. Indeed, in recent years, many Nigerian PhD holders have obtained their degree in SA universities, in many cases with scholarship from SA. Lastly, there are the bad guys (fraudsters and drug dealers); they are very small in terms of population. But as we all know, crime is always the loudest. These top-notch Nigerian professors and doctors are not the ones being hounded on the streets of SA by xenophobic urchins; at least not yet. But depending on the action that Nigeria takes, things can swiftly go south and ugly in that regard. In contrast, do we know how many South Africans are in Nigeria? I can bet they would be just a handful. You will not find them as Profs in Nigerian universities, nor as Doctors in Nigerian hospitals. You will not find them trading in stores and working as artisans and small service providers. They are managers in the companies related to SA. In fact, for those who are burning and looting so-called SA businesses in Nigeria, may I ask who it was you chased away from those stores before looting? The answer: fellow Nigerians who work as cashiers, checkers, cleaners, sorters etc.
Certain evidences indicate that the SA authorities are secretly supporting and goading the killing, looting and destruction of African immigrants and their properties in SA. The SA government has sold the usual crap talk about foreigners being the enemy to the ignorant masses to cover their inability to create jobs for their people. We see that everywhere, including in America. Now, imagine if the SA authorities go a step further and ask these Nigerian professionals (university professors and doctors) to leave? I do not know enough about the immigration and citizenship system in SA. But I am hoping that these long-standing professionals have become SA citizens. In that case, they cannot be asked to leave -just like that. For those among them who are mere residents, even if legal, they can be easily replaced with others from Venezuela, Cuba, Kenya, Ghana (already a lot of them in SA) and other countries. After quickly burning and looting our own investments in the name of retaliation, what card do we have next to play if it gets to this? I looked up the possibility of African countries affected by xenophobia in SA working with The African Union (AU) to sanction SA. But alas, I learned in the process that SA is as much a big donor to AU as Nigeria. You know what that means, right? SA will simply threaten to withdraw its own funding, and AU will become at least half silent. So, it would seem that head or tail, Nigeria is not wining this one.
The only solution is for Nigerians to take back their country from the bad leaders at all levels who have not provided jobs for them; who have not built good universities and hospitals where they and some of us abroad would be happy to come back and work; and who have not secured their citizens in Nigeria, let alone secure them abroad. If Nigeria was well run since 1960, many of the top-notch and criminal elements will not be fleeing the country the way we do. In fact, one of the SA panelists I spoke about previously asked what African countries who got their independence have been doing since 1960 that their citizens have to come to SA in droves and destroy their (SA) country and take jobs from citizens. From where I was watching I did not have an answer to that question. He said, ''we can manage your doctors and engineers and professors; we do not need your traders and small services providers. We have enough of those''. All things considered, would you really blame them?
Which brings me to a little digression: When I completed my PhD in 2009 in Germany, I applied for a Job at a Nigerian university because I was ready to come back. I was told by a friend who helped submit my application that the VC was not happy with me because I addressed the application letter as ‘’Dear Sir’’, instead of ‘’Dear Vice Chancellor’’. He asked that I write a new letter. But I did not follow up. Meanwhile, in Germany, I called my professor by her name as though we were mates. Such is the crass pettiness of your leaders, both big (such as presidents and governors) and small (such as VCs and religious leaders).
The only good that may come out of all of this for Nigeria is if burning and looting of so-called SA companies (actually substantially owned by Nigerians) will affect the wealthy Nigerians involved in those companies, so that they will help push the much-needed revolution/restructuring. Just look at the names of those Nigerians on MTN Board - the same recycled crooks who benefited from the crooked system, either directly, or as proxies to the crooked politicians. I rest my case.

Very incisive
Mynd44 please take to Front Page, for a balanced opinion on this matter

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by deltateam: 3:26pm On Sep 04, 2019
sad
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by spectroscopic: 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xenophobia: Belief that Shoprite, MTN, DSTV, others are owned by South Africans erroneous – Saraki

https://abiaonline.com.ng/2019/09/04/xenophobia-belief-that-shoprite-mtn-dstv-others-are-owned-by-south-africans-erroneous-saraki/?fbclid=IwAR1ac9BMH0P8IAW6n7hFwPOiBSYUMFDMMZbyo73SQx_PIJv1qEcgmtYeSEU

Buhahaha! Exactly what the above article is talking about.
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by astrodome: 4:17pm On Sep 04, 2019
This is the most thoughtful post on the issue of SA vs Nigeria on the internet. Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by EPIJOE: 4:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
[b][/b]YOU SPOKE WELL MY BROTHER BUT THE GOVT OF NIGERIA SAW THIS COMING BUT TOOTH PICKING
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 4:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
Interesting! I wrote something along this line a few days ago and posted here on NL. It disappeared; apparently deleted by the MODs.

1 Like

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 4:47pm On Sep 04, 2019
I looked up the possibility of African countries affected by xenophobia in SA working with The African Union (AU) to sanction SA.But alas, I learned in the process that SA is as much a big donor to AU as Nigeria. You know what that means, right? SA will simply threaten to withdraw its own funding, and AU will become at least half silent. So, it would seem that head or tail, Nigeria is not wining this one.

Sadly, Nigeria has no clout at the AU. Whereas SA is one of the biggest donors to AU and also up to date with its dues, Nigeria is still owing months of arrears of its dues. Giant of Africa my anus grin grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Frenchkiss564: 4:52pm On Sep 04, 2019
Brilliantly written, apt and so on point.

1 Like

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2019
1.You gave a board structure but you fail to state the number of shares by each representative?
2. How shares are owned by Nigerians assuming it belongs to us?

2 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 4:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

Sadly, Nigeria has no clout at the AU. Whereas SA is the biggest donor to AU and also up to date with its dues, Nigeria is still owing months of arrears of its dues. Giant of Africa my anus grin grin grin grin grin
How do you know this?

3 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 4:58pm On Sep 04, 2019
asuustrike1:
1.You gave a board structure but you fail to state the number of shares by each representative?
2. How shares are owned by Nigerians assuming it belongs to us?

Number of shares is a private affair known only to the investor, the company, the stockbroker and the shares registrars. However, to be on the board of a company means substantial shareholding. There are still many other shareholders who are not on the Board. I own large shares in Zenith, First Bank and a couple other investments. But I am not on the Board of any because even though my shares are large, they never reach board level yetgrin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:
How do you know this?

Google is your friend. Use it
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:00pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

Google is your friend. Use it
No Google is your own friend and you need to use it

Stop saying what you don't know

3 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by helinues: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2019
Ok
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Nobody: 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

Number of shares is a private affair known only to the investor, the company, the stockbroker and the shares registrars. However, to be on the board of a company means substantial shareholding. There are still many other shareholders who are not on the Board. I own large shares in Zenith, First Bank and a couple other investments. But I am not on the Board of any because even though my shares are large, they never reach board level yetgrin grin
I remember vividly that MTN is registered as a Public Limited Liability Company hence there must be disclosure
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:03pm On Sep 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

I remember vividly that MTN is registered as a Public Limited Liability Company hence there must be disclosure
South Africans still own the largest share in MTN Nigeria the last time I checked.

1 Like

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:
South Africans still own the largest share in MTN Nigeria the last time I checked.

Exactly! So I wonder what op is trying to achieve

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

Then find it and post it here
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:09pm On Sep 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

Duh! Even if Nigerians own only 10% (which CANNOT BE TRUE) does that warrant burning instead of seizing and using the funds for compensating the actual victims in SA? Now tell me, those looters in Lagos and elsewhere, what is their loss in all of this? The actual Nigerian victims are still in SA fighting for their lives.

3 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:09pm On Sep 04, 2019
asuustrike1:

He is a sponsored propagandist.

He is writing on behalf of the companies who need to exaggerate the Nigerian ownership within the company in a bid to protect their interest.

Although, I don't support the mob action because of the Nigerian jobs involved.

6 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:10pm On Sep 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:

Read what Saraki said here. He was the Senate President. He should know.

Xenophobia: Belief that Shoprite, MTN, DSTV, others are owned by South Africans erroneous – Saraki

https://abiaonline.com.ng/2019/09/04/xenophobia-belief-that-shoprite-mtn-dstv-others-are-owned-by-south-africans-erroneous-saraki/?fbclid=IwAR1ac9BMH0P8IAW6n7hFwPOiBSYUMFDMMZbyo73SQx_PIJv1qEcgmtYeSEU

1 Like

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:12pm On Sep 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:
He is a sponsored propagandist.

He is writing on behalf of the companies who need to exaggerate the Nigerian ownership within the company in a bid to protect their interest.

Although, I don't support the mob action because of the Nigerian jobs involved.

You are very myopic. Did you read the article at all? Again, read Saraki here

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

Read what Saraki said here. He was the Senate President. He should know.

Stfu

Nigeria remains MTN's largest market in terms of revenue after Iran

And majority of the earnings of MTN comes from Nigeria. Same goes for multi choice

ShopRite is the only different one amongst all of them.

3 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 04, 2019
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:19pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

You are very myopic. Did you read the article at all? Again, read Saraki here

You are the Myopic one

How does he claim MTN or Multi choice is owned by Nigerians in his tweets ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Nobody: 5:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

Duh! Even if Nigerians own only 10% (which CANNOT BE TRUE) does that warrant burning instead of seizing and using the funds for compensating the actual victims in SA? Now tell me, those looters in Lagos and elsewhere, what is their loss in all of this? The actual Nigerian victims are still in SA fighting for their lives.
I don't support attack of any form but using board structure and ownership as a cheap blackmail will not work. You should have come up with a convincing prove instead of board structure. Since MTN is listed on NSE, the number of shares owned by shareholders should be made public.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:21pm On Sep 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:
Stfu

You really should be telling that to Lai Mogammed and Saraki who think otherwise. They are your leaders. After that, go back and read this post (I have read it over an over and it makes a lot of sense to me) more carefully to get the entire gist of it. Might I reiterate that SA is just a temporary enemy. Your real and permanent enemy are your own leaders who stole your inheritance, making you travel all over the damn place looking for greener pasture and getting killed or embarrassed in the process. Don't forget it's not only SA. There is Ghana, Kenya, Malaysia etc hunting down Nigerians. Look at the bigger picture, dude.
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by jossiwan(m): 5:21pm On Sep 04, 2019
That Buhari will not help our people. We must help them. The only thing I will not support is VIOLENCE. But your MONEY must FIGHT for YOU! South African firms in Nigeria send BAGS of MONEY to SA from Nigeria, meanwhile South Africa is sending Nigerians in SA back home in BODYBAGS! Our people make South Africans MONEYBAGS and this is the thanks we get. BOYCOTT everything South African until the killings stop!
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by GrossPrice: 5:22pm On Sep 04, 2019
It also relies on voluntary contributions from the organization's five largest financial contributors: Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Nigeria, and South Africa. However, the organization struggles to mobilize annual dues from member states (Boutellis and Williams 2013).

The ECOWAS mission in West Africa and the AU mission in Burundi, financed largely by Nigeria and South Africa respectively, show that African states can mobilize the necessary resources to conduct peace operations. However, this occurs only in cases where Afri can regional powers have strategic interests (Gelot et al. 2012b).

SOURCE: Jentzsch, C. (2014). Opportunities and Challenges to Financing African Union Peace Operations. African Conflict and Peacebuilding Review, 4(2), 86-107. doi:10.2979/africonfpeacrevi.4.2.86

Libya contributes 15% of AU's budget until Ghaddafi's oust.

Xris74:

Sadly, Nigeria has no clout at the AU. Whereas SA is the biggest donor to AU and also up to date with its dues, Nigeria is still owing months of arrears of its dues. Giant of Africa my anus grin grin grin grin grin

Iamgrey5:
How do you know this?
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:23pm On Sep 04, 2019
Iamgrey5:
You are the Myopic one

How does he claim MTN or Multi choice is owned by Nigerians in his tweets ?

In a series of tweets on his verified Twitter handle, Saraki wrote: “Videos of Nigerians engaging in reprisal attacks in Nigeria against businesses believed, in many cases erroneously, to be owned by South Africans are disheartening and disturbing. ”

Daily Post

There you have it. Also google what Lai Mohamed said about it. Also find that video where the woman was lamenting her store looted in the Mall in Lagos.
Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Iamgrey5(m): 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2019
Xris74:

You really should be telling that to Lai Mogammed and Saraki who think otherwise. They are your leaders. After that, go back and read this post (I have read it over an over and it makes a lot of sense to me) more carefully to get the entire gist of it. Might I reiterate that SA is just a temporary enemy. Your real and permanent enemy are your own leaders who stole your inheritance, making you travel all over the damn place looking for greener pasture and getting killed or embarrassed in the process. Don't forget it's not only SA. There is Ghana, Kenya, Malaysia etc hunting down Nigerians. Look at the bigger picture, dude.
You are not making any sense

None of them confirmed any Nigerian ownership, both were concerned about Nigerian jobs

Do you use your head at all?

2 Likes

Re: SA Vs Nigeria – I Am Sorry, But The Field Is Skewed Against Nigeria by Xris74: 5:28pm On Sep 04, 2019
GrossPrice:

SOURCE: Jentzsch, C. (2014). Opportunities and Challenges to Financing African Union Peace Operations. African Conflict and Peacebuilding Review, 4(2), 86-107. doi:10.2979/africonfpeacrevi.4.2.86

Libya contributes 15% of AU's budget until Ghaddafi's oust.

We are talking of 2018 you are citing 2014 articles and Libya? When did Ghadafi die again?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Breaking!!! Trucks Carrying Foodstuffs From North To South Are Being Blocked. / Olawepo-Hashim: Only National Agenda Will Solve Nigeria’s Challenges / EKSG To Open More Markets To Stop Roadside Trading

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.