Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,970 members, 7,810,689 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:22 PM

How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You (6684 Views)

Here Is How Airtel Is Making The Stay At Home Easier And Profitable For Everyone / How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) / My Bitter Experience With Airtel Unlimited 20 Data Plan... How Airtel Blocked Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by EdoNation(f): 3:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
On Wednesday the 21st day of August 2019 my phone was stolen in a public bus whilst in transit. Still in shock about the stolen phone, I resolved to go and retrieve my now lost sim card.

Wednesday the 28th day of August 2019, I walked into Airtel Office on Oba Akran Road just before Ikeja Under-Bridge with the sole aim and purpose of the retrieval of my lost sim card. I was asked to fill the “Lost or SimCard Re-Activation” Form, of which I did and I was asked to produce my old sim pack, of which I didn’t have because I bought the sim pack when now “Airtel” used to be “V-Mobile”. I told the attendant that I didn’t have it because I misplaced my old sim pack many years ago. I was then advised by the attendant to go the High Court of Ikeja and swear an affidavit stating that I am the sole owner of the phone number of which i intend to retrieve. I did all that I was asked to do, i got the affidavit, came back to the Airtel office and I was given a number to join the already long queue.

I joined the queue and patiently waited my turn to be attended to by one of the agents . After waiting for over an hour and fifteen minutes I was summoned in order to be attended to. I presented my filled out “Lost or Sim Card Re-Activation” Form, my sworn affidavit and also my National Identity Card. The agent in charge checked her computer the begin the process and she asked me to verbally confirm my phone number twice, which i did. She told me the phone number and the name on the sworn affidavit does not match the information that she is seeing presented before her on her computer and that the line in question belongs to one “Femi Adebayo”.

In utter disbelief and shock with what I just heard I asked the lady Ogini?, How come?, How is this possible?. She only told me sorry, that there is nothing that she can do about it. I left her seat in anger so that others on the queue can be attended to. I went to another male agent and laid my complaint and predicament to him. Same reply i got ” Sorry sir, there is nothing we can do to help you”.

With my time wasted and my 1200 naira wasted on one useless affidavit that was of no use for it’s intended aim, I walked out of that office with questions on my mind.

1) How on earth was it possible that a line that I had been using from year 2005 till this present day be registered in another person’s name ? A line that I did full biometrics with finger prints, facial recognition and my personal details when NCC first made it mandatory for Telecom operators in the country to register their subscribers on the network or risk line termination.

2) How many other subscribers have passed through the same ordeal I went through given the fact that Airtel now boasts proudly with banners and adverts everywhere with the slogan “10 million new subscribers on the Airtel 4G Network”

I know some of you are wondering, why all this noise over a 150 Naira Sim Card when I can just buy another fresh new sim card and register it? The whole essence of all this long story is to advice other subscribers like me out there to once in a while during your free time, go out there to your telecom operators and check of your phone numbers are still duly registered in your name with your full details intact.

This was an eye opener for me and a word they say is enough for the wise

SOURCE : http://viralmula.com/2019/09/airtel-gives-phone-number-subscribers-without-notifying/

Lalasticlala Mynd44

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by EdoNation(f): 3:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
.....cc Dumo1

1 Share

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by 2rez: 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2019
Na by force? Orrrrby tongue. I left without liking it tongue. Oya come & beat me. That said, your hair is...

1 Share

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Horlufemi(m): 4:05pm On Sep 04, 2019
I was robbed and I applied to retrieve my sim. For a month the line was not activated. I called and email but they told me to go back to where I retrieved it. That same oba akran Airtel. I didn't have chance to go back as I was on a project.

I got there after a month and I ranted. I was attended to. At least I was happy my sim was back. I'm the next morning I called my staff I would normal call. I kept hearing who is this. I was mad at them like, don't your have my number?

So I used my phone to call my other line I saw another number.

I called customer care and ranted for 30 minutes.

My number was restored.

I went to port to Etisalat. The next day.

No time

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by blackboy(m): 4:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
It is a norm. I have seen it happen but my network provider allowed me the have the name changed after they asked me questions that confirmed the line was mine and I had the old sim pack.
Airtel is very difficult and their customer service dont send they act like robots. If it no its no. They wont hear you out again. Their phone CSU is the coldest. But we are nigerians na the cheap dara we want

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Simongm(m): 4:59pm On Sep 04, 2019
Same thing happened to my glo line, it was recycled and sold to another person.
I think when a phone number is inactive for a certain period of time, they (network operators)will recycle it.

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
Simongm:
I think when a phone number is inactive for a certain period of time, they (network operators)will recycle it.
But in her case airtel didn't wait for some months before recycling the line.

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Charleys: 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2019
Fake MTN subscribers trying to fall Airtel hands.

Note. Airtel is not your problem.

I know your problem.

I know that you know your problem too. grin
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by MusaDanladi1: 7:28pm On Sep 05, 2019
THREAD UPDATE:

NCC was kind enough to give a very prompt response at least they are working tirelessly on a daily basis to see to it that Nigerians are given a Sanctuary Haven for complaints that these network operators are complacent in resolving so kudos to NCC on a job well done.
As for Airtel I wish a word better than useless, stupid or ignorant would be used to term them. The same process that they asked me to follow in their reply Email from the NCC is the very same procedure I followed to the latter in the origanal thread. (Sworn affidavit, National means of Identification. In my case I used a National Identity Card, 3 Frequently dialled Numbers,) "I provided them with 7 Frequently Dialled Numbers.

I raise the white flag of surrender as regards this issue. So hold on tight to your SIM cards y'all cos if you mistakenly loose it and you can't find your old sim pack. Passing through the eye of a needle would be better than getting your lost Sim Card.

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by APCLyingBastard: 7:35pm On Sep 05, 2019
Maybe when you did your biometric registration, the clerk that attended to you made a mistake.

How long did you wait before going to retrieve the line?

Telecoms do re-issue redundant numbers.

Besides, technically it isn't your number but belongs to the Telco.

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Venbobo: 7:36pm On Sep 05, 2019
Me sef don enter this problem b4 same Airtel

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Babalegba(m): 9:11pm On Sep 05, 2019
APCLyingBastard:
Maybe when you did your biometric registration, the clerk that attended to you made a mistake.

How long did you wait before going to retrieve the line?

Telecoms do re-issue redundant numbers.

Besides, technically it isn't your number but belongs to the Telco.
The person who did my biometric registration for my MTN line put another person's name for my number .I went to their office, kicked up a drink and they rectified the error

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by TigrisLegend: 3:31pm On Sep 08, 2019
EdoNation:
.....cc Duma1

Oh, Edonation my love. Found you at last!

grin grin grin
grin grin
grin

PrinceOgun / Copperjay / Sicilianmafia so this is why you were so pissed when Eze2k mentioned your sister moniker Edonation right in the pretense of Domin.ique grin You dey see as i no dey call their name complete so? I be better person ni.

So you get website you like for here come dey open mouth anyhow dey threaten another guy own? Na wa for you ooo. Anyway you must settle me otherwise i go blow your cover. With Edonation involved now proof say you be correct princeogun no hard.

Oya settle me or i go leggo for your case. Currently searching for you plugins and theme set up. I don spy am already but gotta be sure first.

Proudly Edo citizen!!!
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by CallMeDrino: 8:16pm On Oct 07, 2019
Simongm:

True.

MTN take longer before they recycle theirs.... Retrieved my number today after 2 months of misplacing it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by PrinceOfEast(m): 10:47am On Aug 06, 2020
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Tolu121: 10:53am On Aug 06, 2020
PrinceOfEast:
co.rbin mel.aye tolu.121 please can u tell me what is written on that screenshot?

click on d guy i quote and view the screenshot.
*that i am the lawful owner of the sim card/sim packs with (ph now).............. To me by airtel.(pls fill that .. for me)

*that the said sim card/sim pack got lost on............and all efforts*(pls fill tha.....for me)
you wan make i do eye test or wetin? angry
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by PrinceOfEast(m): 10:54am On Aug 06, 2020
Tolu121:
you wan make i do eye test or wetin? angry
abeg...i wan do affidavit and i dey office.
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Tolu121: 10:56am On Aug 06, 2020
PrinceOfEast:
abeg...i wan do affidavit and i dey office.
i can't see that
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by PrinceOfEast(m): 10:58am On Aug 06, 2020
Tolu121:
i can't see that
ok...garri don spoil ur eyes.
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by PrinceOfEast(m): 10:59am On Aug 06, 2020
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by Tolu121: 11:03am On Aug 06, 2020
PrinceOfEast:
ok...garri don spoil ur eyes.
garri kill you there
Re: How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You by sagieramos(m): 11:25am On Aug 06, 2020
Horlufemi:
I was robbed and I applied to retrieve my sim. For a month the line was not activated. I called and email but they told me to go back to where I retrieved it. That same oba akran Airtel. I didn't have chance to go back as I was on a project.

I got there after a month and I ranted. I was attended to. At least I was happy my sim was back. I'm the next morning I called my staff I would normal call. I kept hearing who is this. I was mad at them like, don't your have my number?

So I used my phone to call my other line I saw another number.

I called customer care and ranted for 30 minutes.

My number was restored.

I went to port to Etisalat. The next day.

No time

Airtel to 9mobile?
From frypan to fire

(1) (Reply)

Glo Offering Its 4G Mifi With Free 16GB Data / Guys! I Need Help Brothers [i Cant Just Die Like This]> So Unfair / Free Nigerian Music As Ringtone

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.