Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,960 members, 7,810,655 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:48 PM

How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) (24476 Views)

Here Is How Airtel Is Making The Stay At Home Easier And Profitable For Everyone / How Airtel Nigeria Gives Out Your Phone Number To Others Without Notifying You / My Bitter Experience With Airtel Unlimited 20 Data Plan... How Airtel Blocked Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by whatmoreng: 8:50am On May 13, 2018
Wondered how you subscribe to these credit sucking value added services? Here is what happened when you unintentionally click these icons while browsing.

I discovered that when I clicked on 'singAlong' or 'Your bible' on my operamini home page, Airtel just subscribe me to the service without first hinting me what it's all about. With no way of unsubscribing.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Skmoda360(m): 8:52am On May 13, 2018
useless people.....nonsense network

52 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Xionez(m): 10:00am On May 13, 2018
Lol.

My own long standing solution is this;

- Populate the first 12 (or 25) Speed Dail slots with bookmarks of my choice. This would move the ads down wards and out of view.

- Since some news content redirects to subscribing for VAS for a particular site, before finally redirecting to your desired page, I disabled it completely. You can do this by Tapping the Opera icon, tap Settings, Tap Advanced, Tap Start Page Content and choosing Speed Dail only.

Deleting the ads doesn't do anything. The attached screenshot on my Android shows how bad it can be. Not that I care because the top 25 slots are filled with my own bookmarks and the ads are all at the bottom. Out of sight, out of mind.

6 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by rerhji(m): 10:29am On May 13, 2018
quite informative... thanks bro
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by BrainArk(m): 2:24pm On May 13, 2018
I am victim of this their wickedness, I have called them times without number to deactivate it, which they will tell me they've done only to continue deducting my airtime. The only reason I am still using the sim is because it is attached to my bank account, and I am to lazy to go and change it yet.

11 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by mutvy: 3:15pm On May 13, 2018
If you want them to unsubscribe you, do not recharge for 1 month or 2 months in extreme cases. I have tried it and it worked.
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by madgoat(m): 4:54pm On May 13, 2018
Baba forget that thing. Its not about clicking on anything while browsing. Those airtel peeps are crooks and they intentionally subscribe the services for you with the mindset that you will not notice. Alot of people have those VAS bit dont know except if they are the type that take note of their airtime always. I had to call them two weeks ago when i noticed N30 suddenly left my fone and the idiotic customer care said its because i was on their VAS.

20 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by whatmoreng: 5:12pm On May 13, 2018
Xionez:
Lol.

My own long standing solution is this;

- Populate the first 12 (or 25) Speed Dail slots with bookmarks of my choice. This would move the ads down wards and out of view.

- Since some news content redirects to subscribing for VAS for a particular site, before finally redirecting to your desired page, I disabled it completely. You can do this by Tapping the Opera icon, tap Settings, Tap Advanced, Tap Start Page Content and choosing Speed Dail only.

Deleting the ads doesn't do anything. The attached screenshot on my Android shows how bad it can be. Not that I care because the top 25 slots are filled with my own bookmarks and the ads are all at the bottom. Out of sight, out of mind.

Lalasticlala I think others need to see this too.

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Babalegba(m): 11:12pm On May 13, 2018
madgoat:
Baba forget that thing. Its not about clicking on anything while browsing. Those airtel peeps are crooks and they intentionally subscribe the services for you with the mindset that you will not notice. Alot of people have those VAS bit dont know except if they are the type that take note of their airtime always. I had to call them two weeks ago when i noticed N30 suddenly left my fone and the idiotic customer care said its because i was on their VAS.
It's not airtel themselves subscribing you silently but the fraudulent VAS company but airtel should have dissuaded them from doing it.
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by beejay247: 12:26am On May 14, 2018
So I am not the only one they do this to.... ;

Whenever this happens, I do go to twitter to cause trouble and I will drag NCC, CPC

Just forget getting your money back because that won't happen

Those people are thieves and trying to put the blame on the customer, saying you click on the pop up... sad

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by dominique(f): 6:25pm On Jul 09, 2018
Good thing I don't use opera mini. The last VAS service they subscribed for me was one that deducted N20 daily. Imagine recharging your line to subscribe only to have 20 bucks chopped off before you finish dialling the code. Very wicked people. I encountered similar fate with etisalat, it took numerous phone calls and social media complaints to get those useless services off my line. These networks are just ripping us off and regulatory agencies are looking the other way

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by tokrizy: 7:05am On Jul 10, 2018
dis rubbish network

they will jst be removing 25naira from somebody's acct everyday

me I'm no longer recharging

and d God that is saving them is that i cnt reach dem VIA customer service.

if not ehhhh somebody go don hear insult of him life

RUBBISH

3 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by obaataaokpaewu: 7:05am On Jul 10, 2018
That was how I recharged my GLO line after many months and they deducted #150(#100 first, #50 later) for Callertunes. I called and was told that #100 was for Callertunes registration. The lady now blamed me that I must have "pressed 1" while waiting for someone I called to pick up. angry

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Nobody: 7:06am On Jul 10, 2018
dominique:
Good thing I don't use opera mini. The last VAS service they subscribed for me was one that deducted N20 daily. Imagine recharging your line to subscribe only to have 20 bucks chopped off before you finish dialling the code. Very wicked people. I encountered similar fate with etisalat, it took numerous phone calls and social media complaints to get those useless services off my line. These networks are just ripping us off and regulatory agencies are looking the other way

You are a mod. Ban them

5 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by bakeuhappy: 7:06am On Jul 10, 2018
I have been a victim severally and I'm currently trying to sort one out. I don't get SMS from network because I put my line on DND.. Deductions of N150 from my line on Sunday morning...

Let's see how it goes.
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by DaFlash: 7:06am On Jul 10, 2018
Those Indians are greedy crooks.

2 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by nerd51(f): 7:15am On Jul 10, 2018
madgoat:

Please what's their customer care number...anytime I call 121, computer will just be telling me rubbish
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Nobody: 7:18am On Jul 10, 2018
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by kolafolabi(m): 7:18am On Jul 10, 2018
To unsubscribe, dial *902# then press 2

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by FrostyButter: 7:21am On Jul 10, 2018
Facing the same problem here... Why the scam ?

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Tokziby: 7:23am On Jul 10, 2018
I have been facing similar problem and i have had to call them on 3 different occasions to remove me. They usually say i have up to six subscription on my line like learning french, ebooks and stuffs.

My believe is that Airtel are complacent of this scam cos its making money for them. I told them that, how is it possible for pop-ups to have direct access to ur line to the point of deducting ur call credit without Airtel notifying the customer via sms. For any third party to charge ur line, its the responsibility of the line provider to notify for consent either to type YES or NO via sms, in order to know if its a scam or u consent to it.

Since Airtel are not going the extra mile to protect the customer from these scams i believe they should be charged cos thats exposure of personal data to third party without any form of consent.

I will be very happy if we can open a thread specially for these type of scams and we come together to bombard their social media space.

How can someone be sitting in his home, creating an advanced yahoo yahhoo, to be stealing millions of naira per day. angry angry angry and nobody is trying to stop them

12 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by sparog(m): 7:24am On Jul 10, 2018
Fraud
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by QuickStandard: 7:24am On Jul 10, 2018
I was so sick of this airtel criminals. It took me a whole lot of time, months or probably years before I found out. Some of us as business people always have plenty of airtime on our phones which makes detecting their fraudulent acts go unnoticed.

Last month I was out of airtime and had an important call to make, so I recharged about 200 only, made a minute call, after a while I decided to call some other person, to my greatest surprise I heard my balance was low. Not suspicious of any fowl play at first, I recharged an additional 100. I remembered I didn't call anyone again with the airtel line until the following day, only for me to see 15# balance. So I decided to observe what was going on, I purposely recharge again and this continued the next day. That was when I started calling their customer Care line with a lot of anger and bitterness in me, but knowing what their evil deeds are, it was only the answering machine that kept on talking garbage.

I was so vexed in my spirit that I had to visit their branch office. Only for the lady to start some magic on my phone. To my greatest disgust, i was subscribed to 3 different useless services.

I just looked at her like a thief that she represents.

Not even a sorry came from her mouth.

#Criminals everywhere.

9 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by 1899Milan: 7:25am On Jul 10, 2018
This thing is so frustrating, happened to me twice @ 50 per subscription just yesterday. I was so furious but sadly, this is Nigeria. I was so looking for a way to reach them and vent my anger. Callertunes and some other very useless services (imo), they forcefully push down one's throat. Na yeye data wey never reach person use in a month NCC de chase to carry over.
angry

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Nobody: 7:26am On Jul 10, 2018
I can't load card on my Airtel SIM, the next thing is that they have deduced 10 Naira from my line
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Nobody: 7:27am On Jul 10, 2018
I no longer recharge my airtel line unless I want to subscribe for a plan which I do sharp sharp. ndi ori airtel

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by johnaruson(m): 7:27am On Jul 10, 2018
I left Opera Mini, long ago, because of that. I now use chrome or Fire Fox.
You can also report Airtel at NCC for illegal premiums services without your text confirmation.

1 Like

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:27am On Jul 10, 2018
u jez see one yeye portal 4 ya opera mini, u jez carry ya hand cick!

u buy mkt by ya hand my broda

on my opera mini fp na only two icons dey dia, nairaland & nairabet grin
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by MichaelSokoto(m): 7:27am On Jul 10, 2018
grin
Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by HotMario: 7:29am On Jul 10, 2018
I'm not alone on this. I'm glad I use them for data strictly. I've got many texts telling me my subscription to blah blah could not be completed because of insufficient data.
I'm just waiting for this subscription to end then I'm dumping that sim for good.

Corporate thieves

I think this kind of rubbish thrive in Nigeria because they know no regulatory agency will do nothing about it.

7 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by 1899Milan: 7:31am On Jul 10, 2018
kolafolabi:
To unsubscribe, dial *902# then press 2

Its worrying that We're even being subscribed to it without our consent....after them don comot your money then they'll now hand you the "option to cancel" cookie. NCC is trash!

4 Likes

Re: How Airtel Subscribes You To Their VAS Services Without Your Knowledge (Photo) by Officialemmyd(m): 7:34am On Jul 10, 2018
Have also been a victim of dis nonsense.. Dis kind thing is an official way of stealing frm oda ppl without deir knowledge

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

TECNO, Gionee, & Fake Galaxy Phones Preloaded With DeathRing Trojan? / My 15-minute Experience With Tecno Phantom 6 Plus / Factory Reset Code For Tecno T9

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.