Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,587 members, 7,820,120 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:03 AM

Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! (3534 Views)

Fayose Sacks Ropo Ogunjobi, Arrests Two Others Over Fraud / Nigerian Navy Kills One, Arrests Two For Disrupting Elections In Ondo / SSS Arrests Masterminds Of Jaji Bombing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by wales(m): 7:00am On Oct 28, 2010
Two persons have been arrested by security operatives in connection with the discovery of rockets, grenades and explosives in 13 containers impounded at Apapa Wharf, Lagos on Tuesday.

Although details of the arrest were not made public by the State Security Service, THE PUNCH gathered that the suspects were as at Wednesday night undergoing interrogation.

The SSS Assistant Director of Public Relations, Mrs. Marylin Ogar, confirmed the arrest just as the National Security Adviser, Gen. Andrew Azazi (retd.), assured that all those involved in the importation of the arms and ammunition would be arrested.

Shortly after Azazi and Ogar spoke, President Goodluck Jonathan said the importers of the weapons described as those used by insurgents in Afghanistan, had sinister motives.

The NSA, who inspected the seized arms and ammunition, said the ‘very good procedure,’ in place at the port made their interception possible.

He added that it was too early to make conclusions on where the weapons originated and their destination.

The NSA said, “At this point, the only thing we can say is that we have some armament we discovered at the port by the security agencies. We don’t want to make any conclusions about where they are going or where they are coming from.

“We need a lot of verifications and at the end of the day, Nigerians will know this is what it is all about. Let’s not jump to conclusion. We will find them and do whatever is required to make sure that everybody is protected.

“If weapons were passing through unchecked, you will probably find out that these ones would also have passed through; I mean they have a very good procedure at the port and that is why they ensured that this arms vessel did not go unchecked.”

Asked whether the importation of the weapons had connection with the 2011 elections, Azazi replied, “I don’t know; I don’t want to jump to conclusions, until we get more information.”

The Comptroller–General, Nigeria Customs Service, Alhaji Dikko Abdullahi, said in a statement that the exporter and importer of the arms and ammunition had no fixed addresses.

“This particular importation had no form ‘M’ and Risk Assessment Report. The importer and exporter had no addresses on the system, and we have reasons to believe that the importer’s name in the import documents is fictitious,” he said.

The statement by the NCS Public Relations Officer, Mr. Wale Adeniyi, disclosed that the containers were brought in by a vessel named MV CMA-CGM Everest.

Dikko, who added that the vessel sailed into Nigeria from India on July 10 and sailed out on July 15, 2010, also said that inspection on four of the containers revealed that they had “rocket launchers, assorted ammunitions, cartridges and other weapons.”

But he said that the service would “not speculate on the contents of the rest of the containers until the ongoing Joint Physical Inspection of all containers by customs and other security agencies is finalised.”

Abdullahi also said that 754 packages of glass wool and stones were declared on the ship’s manifest as contents of the 13 containers.

One of our correspondents, who visited the port, reported that people were frisked before being allowed to get close to the spot where the 13 containers bearing the weapons were off-loaded.

A police armoured vehicle marked Area C, Police (SWAT 15) was stationed at the inspection ground.

Sources said that operatives of the SSS, Nigerian Army, NCS, Nigerian Ports Authority security, Nigerian Air Force and National Drug Law Enforcement Agency at the scene were directed to keep sealed lips on the seizure.

The third and fourth containers inspected before our correspondent left the Wharf at about 4.30pm on Wednesday had 48 wooden crates.

The crates, which contained explosives, hand grenades, rockets, cartridges and marble tiles were wrapped with cellophane tapes. The rockets had inscriptions N.N: 18Kg ; Manufactured in 2008; Lot 353; 107MM.

Jonathan had in a statement by his campaign organisation in Abuja, commended security agencies for intercepting the items.

The statement by the organisation’s Director of Media and Publicity, Mr. Sully Abu, said the agencies had by the seizure saved Nigeria from “mortal danger.”

Abu said, “The Goodluck/Sambo Presidential Campaign Organisation has commended officials of the nation’s security services, the Police, SSS, Military and Naval intelligence, for the interception of an illegal arms shipment of rocket launchers, grenades and explosives at the Apapa Wharf in Lagos.

“By this interception, the Security services have saved Nigerians from mortal danger. It is obvious that the evil minds behind the importation of these arms have their sinister agenda.”

He added that “it was obvious that the evil minds behind the importation of these arms had their sinister agenda, and urged the security agencies to quickly expose them.

Abu quoted Jonathan as having called on all security agencies and “Nigerians at large to be very vigilant at this time in order to expose the few desperate ones who are hell-bent on disrupting the peace and orderliness of our land.”

Imploring all Nigerians to eschew violence as “we move towards a critical period in our nation’s history,” he said the 2011 elections must be seen as another phase in Nigeria’s development and not a desperate struggle for power.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20101028345490
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by wales(m): 7:01am On Oct 28, 2010
Security watch is everyone’s duty. We keep asking how mend get their weapons if these weapons of destruction had passed through our ports undetected, what would we be saying tomorrow on the safety of our people and the nation at large? If de importers of these weapons are Nigerians, what are their intentions? Myriads of questions but for space. GOD BLESS NIGERIA. `
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by ITbomb(m): 11:14am On Oct 28, 2010
*just thinking*
kai, to say we had succeeded in dredging the niger b4 now all this wahala no 4 dey. See as mend dey get free access our own must pass thru ports
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by AbuMaryam1(m): 11:23am On Oct 28, 2010
ITbomb:

*just thinking*
kai, to say we had succeeded in dredging the niger b4 now all this wahala no 4 dey. See as mend dey get free access our own must pass thru ports
mischiveous
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Abagworo(m): 11:57am On Oct 28, 2010
I don't understand why they are hiding everything from us.The trial of Okah's brother and now the identity of the importers.There is very high tendency of foul play in all these.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by mindurword(m): 12:14pm On Oct 28, 2010
Any one  who try to import ammunition into  Nigeria to destroy the peace of this land should remember that any one that trow stone in the market should reremember that it can hit his or her relative.SSS POLICE  ARMY CUSTOM  THANK YOU ALL FOR A JOB WELL DON THE MEDIA THANK YOU ALSO FOR A JOB WELL DONE.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by saydfact(m): 12:27pm On Oct 28, 2010
I don't understand why they are hiding everything from us.The trial of Okah's brother and now the identity of the importers.There is very high tendency of foul play in all these.

ANSWER: Just in case the persons carrying out the (so called) investigations get exposed themselves as accomplice. , shi-ke-na
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Nobody: 12:34pm On Oct 28, 2010
For once, I commend our SSS for a job well done!
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Browser69(m): 12:56pm On Oct 28, 2010
shocked shocked shocked May God almighty save us in this country.
I saw this on Tv yesterday and I was like what the hell is the mission of the importers?

Am sure non of those that matter to them most are in this country if their mission is to use it against 2011 elections.
May be their mission is to turn Naija to Afghanistan or Iraq if things didn`t go their ways. sad sad sad
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by omojand: 1:04pm On Oct 28, 2010

Wrong. Sensitive information like this needs to be very carefully managed while investigations are on-going. In fact, this news should never have been broadcast the way it has. In organized societies, the whole process would have been carefully managed and orchtestrated. The culprits even allowed to take the "goods" albeit under heavy, discreet surveillance.

Unless the actual culprits were identified and ample evidence assembled for their prosecution, this saga should have been handled more discretely. For me, this is a sign of incompetence and disorderliness of our system, even if we must thank God the arms didn't make it into circulation.

We may now never know the true identities of the sponsors of this act.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by ud4u: 1:57pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ammunition no dey pass before?, abi dey no settle the appriopriate authority? abeg na question I just ask oo lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Intrepid1(m): 2:12pm On Oct 28, 2010
Those SOBs that are being 'interrogated' must be in the 5th stage of Hell by now, Nothing will come out of this matter, just like political murders and corruption probes in Nigeria, nothing ever gets solved.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by unclebros: 2:13pm On Oct 28, 2010
There is absolutely no reason why the criminal who imported these bombs shouldn't be apprehended.
On the Bill of Lading, the name of the consignee will be boldly written, and if no name is there, the notify party's name i.e the bank that processed the Form M name will be written. The official can start their investigation from the bank that processed the Form M and the risk assessment report RAR.

Finally, the agent responsible for the clearing of course knows the contact person that gave him the Bill of lading and other documents. Its the simplest investigation that can be carried out.

Even if the culprits are at large, at least they can be identified and soon they will be caught.

I dont expect the security agents to waste time on this one at all.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Olaolufred(m): 2:28pm On Oct 28, 2010
Abagworo:

I[b] don't understand why they are hiding everything from us.The trial of Okah's brother and now the identity of the importers.There is very high tendency of foul play in all these.[/b]

Assuming the Importer is anyone representing interest of any political figure,

And his name is on Paper, you will be one of the people who will say GEJ is at it again.

Let the security outfit in Nigeria do their work.

No wonder Obey said,"Ko sogbon ta le da, ko siwa tale wu, ko sona ta le gba, tale fi taye lorun o".
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Beaf: 2:36pm On Oct 28, 2010
unclebros:

There is absolutely no reason why the criminal who imported these bombs shouldn't be apprehended.
On the Bill of Lading, the name of the consignee will be boldly written, and if no name is there, the notify party's name i.e the bank that processed the Form M name will be written. The official can start their investigation from the bank that processed the Form M and the risk assessment report RAR.

Finally, the agent responsible for the clearing of course knows the contact person that gave him the Bill of lading and other documents. Its the simplest investigation that can be carried out.

Even if the culprits are at large, at least they can be identified and soon they will be caught.

I dont expect the security agents to waste time on this one at all.

If only it was that easy. How about someone creates a fake identity, with fake passport and bank account to match? How about if that fake persons bank account was loaded several times with cash only? How about if all withdrawals from that account were done in cash. Who would the form M be traceable to?
About the clearing agent knowing the person that gave them the bill of laden? That is also neither here nor there. Anybody can claim to be anything as long as their documents pass muster.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Donmeca(m): 2:47pm On Oct 28, 2010

Foolish statement from abagworo as usual

omojand:

Wrong. Sensitive information like this needs to be very carefully managed while investigations are on-going. In fact, this news should never have been broadcast the way it has. In organized societies, the whole process would have been carefully managed and orchtestrated.
We may now never know the true identities of the sponsors of this act.

intelligent response to a very foolish reaction. Abagworo never sees anything good in any govt where a northerner is not directly at the helm of affairs. But he still has a chance to repent of his sins.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Nobody: 2:58pm On Oct 28, 2010
I wonder what the importers wanted to use the rocket launchers for in a country where there is no war? This is a serious matter. The FG should not take this lightly because these people are preparing for war.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Donmeca(m): 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2010
I think Jack Bauer should be invited to interrogate the suspects. . .guess they will be compelled to "talk true" by d mere sight of the guy. By d time he breaks someone's spine or hips, the criminal will confess. na true- -movie or real life.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by rufino: 3:21pm On Oct 28, 2010
I pray the SSS gets to the root of this.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Beaf: 3:52pm On Oct 28, 2010
I strongly suspect that Lagos has been spared a shock attack by those who have had their influence in the army cut down.

The trick is, get the tools in (rockets, rockets launchers, explosives etc), then infiltrate the men in as civilians, beggars, mai guards, market men etc. When everything is in place, launch an surprise attacks on one or more military barracks to capture them and get more loyalist tropps and heavy equipment.
With Lagos down, the whole SW would have been easy pickings.

This game plan has been used over and over in asymetric warfare; in Nigeria, it was used by Great Ogboru and Gideon Orkah to launch the only coup that nearly succeeded during IBB's time. . . It was launched from a warehouse in Ikorodu.

The SW bera watch it, cos some see them as a problem child that must be subjugated. There have also been recent discoveries of oil in commercial quantities in Lagos. Need I say more?

In my opinion, all military establishments in Lagos and Ibadan need to be shaken up quite deeply and quite urgently (esp. Ikeja and Ojo cantonments), to protect that axis from any dastardly acts. Azazi, over to you!
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Nobody: 4:00pm On Oct 28, 2010
Beaf:

I strongly suspect that Lagos has been spared a shock attack by those who have had their influence in the army cut down.

The trick is, get the tools in (rockets, rockets launchers, explosives etc), then infiltrate the men in as civilians, beggars, mai guards, market men etc. When everything is in place, launch an surprise attacks on one or more military barracks to capture them and get more loyalist tropps and heavy equipment.
With Lagos down, the whole SW would have been easy pickings.

This game plan has been used over and over in asymetric warfare; in Nigeria, it was used by Great Ogboru and Gideon Orkah to launch the only coup that nearly succeeded during IBB's time. . . It was launched from a warehouse in Ikorodu.

The SW bera watch it, cos some see them as a problem child that must be subjugated. There have also been recent discoveries of oil in commercial quantities in Lagos. Need I say more?

In my opinion, all military establishments in Lagos and Ibadan need to be shaken up quite deeply and quite urgently (esp. Ikeja and Ojo cantonments), to protect that axis from any dastardly acts. Azazi, over to you!

yawn. . .i seem to remember lagos was the capital at the time of okar's coup

please spare us the bizarre conspiracy theories

Abagworo:

i wonder as well. a lack of transparency is always an avenue for suspicion , and in nigeria, where criminals and government officials are one and the same. . .

i seem to remember a senator was implicated in ndlea's cocaine bust

considering the fact that the latest info indicates the ship was from india and not iran - and some other stuff to the effect that the ship was in the port since july (saw that in buiness day and the fact that it was stacked with building materials our sss already have enough to go on - over to our importers of construction materials
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Abagworo(m): 4:06pm On Oct 28, 2010
Donmeca:

Foolish statement from abagworo as usual

intelligent response to a very foolish reaction. Abagworo never sees anything good in any govt where a northerner is not directly at the helm of affairs. But he still has a chance to repent of his sins.

I saw MEND's exoneration,Dokpesi's arrest and IBB/northerners wrongful accusation as political,how is it wrong?Now that Henry Okah and some Igbos and south-south people are the ones being tried,has the north not been vindicated?Or can you give me the name of one northerner standing trial for the bombings?
The same pattern nearly repeated itself when some people started pointing at IBB and northerners for the ammunitions without evidence.

I don't follow the crowd and ethnic jingoists.I follow the truth and justice.Could you please highlight on your claims of my special love for only northerners?When people wrote rubbish about Emeagwali,I stood by the truth that he remains an achiever.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Nobody: 4:07pm On Oct 28, 2010
http://www.businessdayonline.com/NG/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=15836:arms-cargo-arrived-apapa-port-in-july&catid=76:hot-topic&Itemid=564

A
rms cargo arrived Apapa Port in July
Thursday, 28 October 2010 00:00

Pius Mordi & Tunji Olawuni

•We will not jump to conclusion - Azazi

As the Federal Government  moves to unravel the mystery behind the importation of 13 containers laden with high caliber ammunition, it has emerged that the consignment had been at Lagos ports since July 10, this year.

MV Everest belonging to CMA Shipping Company berthed with the containers and sailed out of the country on July 15, according to the Nigeria Customs Service (NCS) which explained yesterday that it blocked the importer’s attempt to clear the containers due to “observed irregularities in the import documents.”

And the Federal Government said on Wednesday it will not jump to conclusion as high level security apparatus has been deployed to investigate the development, Owei Azazi, National Security Adviser, who inspected the containers alongside Oluseyi Petinrin, an Air Marshal and Chief of Air Staff, at Apapa Port said.

Alarmed by the calibre of weapons in the intercepted containers, the Goodluck/Sambo campaign organization Wednesday charged security operatives to expose all those connected with the importation.

“At this point, the only thing we can say is that we have some armaments that were discovered at the port by the security agencies. We do not want to make any conclusion about what caliber of ammunition, where they are going or where they are coming from. We need a lot of verification and at the end of the day Nigerians will know what the issue is all about, let us not jump into conclusion.

Commending the security agencies for intercepting the containers, Goodluck/Sambo campaign organization said “by this interception, the security services have saved Nigerians from mortal danger. It is obvious that the evil minds behind the importation of these arms have a sinister agenda. They must be exposed and brought to book.

The Comptroller-General of Customs, Dikko Abdullahi , said in Abuja on Wednesday that the containers had been under security surveillance for some time and were subject of a joint inspection by the Customs, State Security Service and Police.

“Our system is configured to block suspicious importations of this nature. For instance, this particular importation had no Form ‘M’ and Risk Assessment Report (RAR). The importer and exporter had no address on the system, and we had reasons to believe that the importer’s name given in the import documents is fictitious”, Abdullahi stated.

However, as security agencies move to unravel the identity of the consignees, a pall of controversy is being thrown on the intercepted arms with the contention by some maritime operators that the ammunitions were on transit to The Gambia.

But Wale Adeniyi, assistant comptroller of Customs and spokesman of the NCS, dismissed the suggestion. “I am not sure the whole of Gambia’s armed forces will use up to half of the ammunition,” he told BusinessDay, insisting that if the consignment was on transit, the country of final destination would have made effort to assess the containers since July 10 when they have been in the custody of the Customs.

According to the Customs boss, Nhava Sheva, otherwise known as Jawaharial Nehru Port, considered as the busiest port in India, was the vessel’s last port of call before it berthed in Nigeria. The vessel sailed out of Nigeria on 15th July 2010, this year after discharging 754 packages of glass wool and stones which was declared as contents of the 13 containers on the ship’s manifest.

Artillery rockets like those often used by insurgents in Afghanistan filled the 13 containers intercepted by security agents at the port.

Officials allowed journalists on Wednesday to see the 107 mm rockets, rifle rounds, grenades, explosives, mortars and possibly rocket launchers. However, journalists visiting the holding yard Wednesday just inside of the port’s main gate did not see those weapons.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Abagworo(m): 4:17pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ok.Now that the ammunitions may actually have been meant for Gambia,is it still northerners?One Nigerian Politician is well known to have invested heavily in Gambia and may be in for a power play there to protect his economic interest.We are still not sure though.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by bibiking1(m): 4:21pm On Oct 28, 2010
i just have a feeling becomerich is one of the apprehended suspects!
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by TORDOO(m): 5:04pm On Oct 28, 2010
Mend want to lunch fresh hostilities in the niger dealta,because jonathan abadoned them,he decide to listen to clark instead of following yar-adua steps period
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by cold(m): 5:12pm On Oct 28, 2010
Abagworo:

Ok.Now that the ammunitions may actually have been meant for Gambia,is it still northerners?One Nigerian Politician is well known to have invested heavily in Gambia and may be in for a power play there to protect his economic interest.We are still not sure though.
Young man,the containers arrived Nigerian ports since the 10th & all this time the Gambian authorities have not made any attempt to lay claim to them if it did indeed belonged to them. So stop spewing bunkumery
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by omojand: 5:27pm On Oct 28, 2010
I saw MEND's exoneration,Dokpesi's arrest and IBB/northerners wrongful accusation as political,how is it wrong?Now that Henry Okah and some Igbos and south-south people are the ones being tried,has the north not been vindicated?Or can you give me the name of one northerner standing trial for the bombings?

Flawed reasoning. So you presume those arrested so far are the masterminds behind the attack? Wrong! They are merely  foot soldiers in the battle of attrition, low level elements doing the bidding of their desperate paymasters (IBB).

We may eventually find out who the main sponsors are. Or maybe not. Either way,  complicity of desperate elements from the north cannot be ruled out just yet.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by opuro(m): 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2010
omojand:

Flawed reasoning. So you presume those arrested so far are the masterminds behind the attack? Wrong! They are merely  foot soldiers in the battle of attrition, low level elements doing the bidding of their desperate paymasters (IBB).

We may eventually find out who the main sponsors are. Or maybe not. Either way,  complicity of desperate elements from the north cannot be ruled out just yet.
so na ibb been de send mend since?! Nna i weak o
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Abagworo(m): 6:15pm On Oct 28, 2010
opuro:

so na ibb been de send mend since?! Nna i weak o

Don't mind them.Na wa for people!I can bet you that some people are totally brainwashed and now have one-sided thinking.They would soon blame their impoverished life on IBB.

Let us stop all these and reason like humans.We cannot exonerate or convict anyone without any proper evidence pointing towards that.
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Adegokenath(m): 6:36pm On Oct 28, 2010
God take control
Re: Bombs Seizure: Sss Arrests Two Suspects ! by Adegokenath(m): 6:37pm On Oct 28, 2010
God take control

(1) (2) (Reply)

Anioma Group Congratulates Delta Acting Governor Of Igbo Extraction / Solution To Nigeria Problem / Alhaji Maitama Sule Is Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.