Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,326 members, 7,811,963 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 02:15 AM

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider (19568 Views)

Want A Good Job In Nigeria? 6 Factors To Consider / Don't Give Up: After Several Rejections, I Got A Good Job / No Good Job? –try These Top 7 Nigerian ICT Jobs With High Employment Rate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by VAPatrick: 6:21am On Sep 09, 2019
You might have heard it before, but I want to repeat it again. To get a good job in Nigeria is harder than winning an Olympic gold medal in swimming against Michael Pheals as an amateur.

According to recent statistics, 80% of young graduates in Nigeria earn below 100,000 Naira, and that isn’t a good one – considering recent economic situations. While we debate about those who earn below 100k per month, we still have a unique set of people who don’t even have any source of monthly income.

What are those factors that might be against them – which they don’t have an idea about?

There are about 178.6 million people in Nigeria, and to get a good job isn’t something that just happens. To get a good job, you must know some certain factors you should use for your own good.

What are the top factors you should consider to get a good job in Nigeria?

Quality of your connection

I sincerely thought this wasn’t real till it happened to me. I gate-crashed a firm to submit my CV and I was stopped at the gate. All efforts begging proved abortive. A few days later, calls were made and I was back at the same company sitting with the Head of Human Resource with my CV in his office.

I wrote the same exam and interview like others, but I was the only person who got a letter of employment. Why? What happened? I just had the right connection.

The person who fixed me up was whom I saw at a wedding ceremony. A simple conversation of “what I had to offer was enough to gain me recommendation”

It isn’t okay to beg for a job; you must show them what you have to offer, and you see how they will recommend you to the right place. It is all about networking and meeting the right people. But you have to learn how to network like a professional.

IF YOU DON’T HAVE THE ABOVE FACTOR, THEN PLEASE CONSIDER THESE BELOW

Quality of your Resume/Cover letter

Since we all know that technology has taken over the way of recruitment these days, candidate’s CVs are shortlisted with the help of software. Several factors determine which CV is picked. That is why I hammer on the following things on every CV.

- Structure
- Keywords
- Format
- Accomplishments instead of descriptions

Having a good CV backed with a cover letter is one of the surest ways to gain recruiters attention. If you have a good CV, you may not need any connection to get your dream job. If you can’t write a power CV, it is imperative you meet a professional to help.

Location plays a huge factor when searching for a job. Most states in Nigeria have very low openings, which limits the job vacancies posted from such states. It is imperative you migrate from such states to states with high job opportunities. Few states like Lagos, Ogun, Abuja, Porthacourt, Oyo, Anambra, Delta, and Kaduna state all have potentials when it comes to job vacancies.

Skills to Offer

It is saddening that most graduates don’t really know what they have to offer. They don’t have any area of specialty or any skill to offer. This possibly limits their chances to apply for jobs outside their background course at college.

Interview Skills

Excelling in an interview is an art you need to master. It is not just a question and answers series, it’s more psychological than you’ve ever imagined. When you answer interview questions, there are certain things that interviewers look, and they include;

- Dressing
- Confidence
- Work experience
- Communication Ability
- Remuneration scale

Scoring positive in all these takes you a step closer to securing the job role – all things remaining equal. There are several articles that have shown in details how to ace an interview easily, but you have to know that practice makes perfect in interview cases.

There are no laid down rules when it comes to securing a job, but in Nigeria, these are the major factors that influence getting a job. I will be sharing more of these articles in recent days, so do well to keep in touch.

See you at the top. I wish you success.

SOURCE

38 Likes 4 Shares

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by KIDfurniture(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2019
cool
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by 01mcfadden(m): 6:36am On Sep 09, 2019
Stereotyped

2 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by HOLYDICK(m): 6:37am On Sep 09, 2019
Op weda u go offer shit or not..all u need is

1. CONNECTIONS
2. STRONG CONNECTIONS
3. STRONGER CONNECTIONS
4. STRONGEST CONNECTIONS
5.BABALAWO CONNECTIONS

and finally

6. almighty God connections

57 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by martyns303(m): 6:37am On Sep 09, 2019
Modified:

To those quoting me, I stand by what I have said, that a company will go an extra mile to get you if they need you and I am typical example of what I have said. The only thing you need is a strong skill, with a strong skill, everything else will fall in place. Getting a job shouldn’t be as difficult as it’s being portrayed. 90% of those quoting me are your average Nigerian lad with a Bsc and nothing else to back to it up.

Connection: except of course it’s a government job, no company will compromise productivity for connection, recommendation may get u the job, but won’t keep u in the job.

Interview: only mediocre companies will be doing interview like it’s a gateway to paradise, attend interview with decent companies and you will find out they careless about how u dress but what u r bringing to the company. God knows I met my company HR wearing jeans, t shirt and sneakers and this is a highly professional field. My CV is already speaking for me and he knows it.

CV: I spent almost N10k plus hiring “professional cv writers” here on NL to help me design my CV, and still nothing. Truth is, let ur CV be as fanciful as a peacock, if it doesn’t have the right qualifications it won’t matter.

Location: Based on how strong the company is, if you like be staying in Sokoto and the company is in Lagos, if you have the right skills, the company will rent accommodation for you. I have a friend that recently started working in Dangote refinery project and they moved him to Lagos with accommodation.

All you need is a very strong skill, I bet you my last penny this guys will look for you. The only reason why the OP posted this is that, all the people attending an interview for a position are all, Bsc with 2:2, a few 1st class and some 3rd class with some funny certifications to make up for the 3rd class. Too many options for the company to pick from so they look for minor and irrelevant things to make the selection process.

I think this whole thing is based on stereotype, people just go on with what they have been told, read and very little of what they have experienced themselves.

If a company needs you, they will go extra mile to get you.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by butterfly777(m): 6:39am On Sep 09, 2019
Prayer. Divine favour works.

11 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by kaptaneSaka(m): 6:39am On Sep 09, 2019
1. CONNECTION!!!!

2. CONNECTION!!!!

3. CONNECTION!!!!

4. GOD'S FAVOUR!!!!!

9 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Emmy3(m): 6:39am On Sep 09, 2019
Getting a job Nigeria is not about what you know neither is it about who you know
but
it is about who knows you and what you do with what you know.

7 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:40am On Sep 09, 2019
Very good thread

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by habeeb246(m): 6:40am On Sep 09, 2019
Well said
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by saracus(f): 6:40am On Sep 09, 2019
So people should fold their hands and wait?
martyns303:

5 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by helinues: 6:41am On Sep 09, 2019
Good job in Nigeria?? grin

You do not climb a tree when you are in search of a fish

5 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by GEOANDSONS: 6:41am On Sep 09, 2019
Connection connection connection
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Nobody: 6:42am On Sep 09, 2019
Mr Op that number one factor is the long and short of everything you are saying...

5 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by ElRapido: 6:42am On Sep 09, 2019
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by ednut1(m): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2019
Nothing new here
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by RealLordZeus(m): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2019
01mcfadden:
Stereotyped
There are no laid down rules when it comes to securing a job, but in Nigeria, these are the major factors that influence getting a job.
Did u read this?
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Samakus(m): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2019
martyns303:

I'm not sure you're living in Nigeria. When you return to Nigeria, let me know, then we can revisit this comment

18 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by xamuel17(m): 6:43am On Sep 09, 2019
Connection is all you need.... don't mind those motivational speakers.

5 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Kay512: 6:43am On Sep 09, 2019
VAPatrick:

SOURCE

OP, you may want to check the source again. That URL is invalid.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by joe4christ(m): 6:44am On Sep 09, 2019
All you ever need to secure a job in Nigeria is pure connection. If you got it, u wont even seek for job. Job will seek for you. Simple!

6 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by banji1(m): 6:45am On Sep 09, 2019
You nailed it. No more no less.

Are you a teacher?
Get FREE access to comprehensive lesson notes/plans for various subjects. Check my signature for details.
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Truthbites: 6:46am On Sep 09, 2019
The lifeless took all our jobs
Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Johncuba(m): 6:47am On Sep 09, 2019
You forgot to mention the "God" factor.

Once He decides to show you mercy, every other thing falls in place.

I wish all graduates hoping for employment and source of livelihood out there, best of luck. Keep on keeping on. The sun would shine on you soon. Amen

24 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 09, 2019
If you have the right connection that knows how to push the buttons, you getting that job, my girlfriend's niece is a poly graduate but failed job interview woefully, when I say woefully, I mean she failed basic maths such as multiplication table and still got the job in a bank ahead of Bsc holders and ICAN professionals.

My signature is a luxurious toy looking for a new home.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by abileko: 6:49am On Sep 09, 2019
We guarantee you 100% warranty on all our laptops

1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by KevMitnick: 6:50am On Sep 09, 2019
You just need to be connected to someone influential, that's all. I always thought being qualified was what it took until reality hit me hard. So I understood that its better to spend more time looking for people who can connect you than writing, rewriting, modifying and upgrading your CV, because quite frankly, with the right connection your CV is surplus to requirements. Its unfortunate but Its the hard truth. undecided

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by wwwkaycom(m): 6:51am On Sep 09, 2019
You want a good job, just get a good godfather, simple. Resume ko, resumption ni!
My friend graduated with a first class, did Masters and already enrolled for a PhD all because he couldn't secure a job. His university told him no vacancy meanwhile they employ every month. We tried to link a particular traditional ruler from the southwest and in one month, he was employed as an Assistant Lecturer in the same university that have told him no vacancy since 2016.
Stay there dey carry resume around looking for jobs that don't even exist.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by Emmy9ite02(m): 6:52am On Sep 09, 2019
How I escaped 9-5

1. Invest in yourself and your personal development

2. Get a high-income skill like copywriting, programming, A.I, graphic design etc

3. Learn how to sell your skill to high income paying clients

4. Repeat.

1 Like

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by uuzba(m): 6:53am On Sep 09, 2019
I entered a Bolt (Taxify) car yesterday and later a Keke tricycle.
I asked both drivers wetin dey happen. Both of them said same story.
The vehicle is not theirs. They paid a weekly down payment to the owner and are driving the thing up and down to meet their target and make some cash un top. This is not what they ever planned for their lives. But to avoid sitting in the house/pressing phone/social media without aim in life, they chose this one.

Job isn't waiting for people any more.
Go out and show what you can do.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by pocohantas(f): 6:54am On Sep 09, 2019
All the people saying connection should go and sleep. I have never known anyone to get a job. Lots of Nigerian graduates did not know anyone prior to getting their jobs.

Regards grin

4 Likes

Re: How To Get A Good Job In Nigeria – Key Factors To Consider by demsid(m): 6:57am On Sep 09, 2019
The 90% stress and 10% pay equivalent job way full lagos. Its better to just develop a self sufficient skill that can make man standalone. The really really good jobs are very very hard to get.

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Recruitment Scandal Rocks EFCC / 4625 Graduates Apply For Amotekun Job In Osun / Getting Job After NYSC: How Long Is Too Long?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.