Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,070 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... (18487 Views)

20W50 Oils! Read And Stop Demonizing It. / Can I Change From 20w50 To 5w20 / Best 20W50 Engine Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 2:17pm On Sep 09, 2019
I just talked about using 5w30 engine oil on my previous post .. I tell folks out there all the time follow the owners manual when changing oil..... Using 20w50 oil causes more damage to your car .... 5w30 engine oil is suitable for both hot and cold climate .. Follow your owners manual at all times to prevent engine failures ...

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 2:19pm On Sep 09, 2019
I've used 20w 50 total quartz 5000 since I started driving and none of my engines has failed cos of that

13 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 2:24pm On Sep 09, 2019
mammanbawa:
I've used 20w 50 total quartz 5000 since I started driving and none of my engines has failed cos of that

Just because somebody looks healthy does not mean they are.. Trust the engineers that makes your vehicle and follow owners manual at all times ... they know better than us ...

7 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ascendo(m): 2:33pm On Sep 09, 2019
Stop saying what you dont know. There has never been any car produced that is "Nigerian Spec". When you buy a Canadian Spec, the lube specified on the manual has considered the temperature of the region where the car will be used. 5W30 or 0W20 are light oil whose pour point(the temperature at which oil ceases to flow) are very very low hence the lubricant is still effective even at -5 degrees C. For Nigerian Climate which is mostly hot, 20W50 seems to be the best lube you can use on older model cars produced earlier than 2008 because of the following:
1. Most times, they dont dry up unless there is leakage
2. Their sealing properties are high
3. Also, though they have high pour points, Nigeria doesnt lie close to the temperate zones.

But make sure the API classification of the engine oil you are using matches with the recommended value. There are C (for diesel engines CD, CF, etc) and S (for gasoline engines SF, SD, SJ, SL, SN etc, ).

8 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 2:47pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

Just because somebody looks healthy does not mean they are.. Trust the engineers that makes your vehicle and follow owners manual at all times ... they know better than us ...
Experience is the best teacher
Over the years I've used numerous cars from different brands and none of them has failed me or the subsequent owners

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 2:52pm On Sep 09, 2019
ascendo:
Stop saying what you dont know. There has never been any car produced that is "Nigerian Spec". When you buy a Canadian Spec, the lube specified on the manual has considered the temperature of the region where the car will be used. 5W30 or 0W20 are light oil whose pour point(the temperature at which oil ceases to flow) are very very low hence the lubricant is still effective even at -5 degrees C. For Nigerian Climate which is mostly hot, 20W50 seems to be the best lube you can use on older model cars produced earlier than 2008 because of the following:
1. Most times, they dont dry up unless there is leakage
2. Their sealing properties are high
3. Also, though they have high pour points, Nigeria doesnt lie close to the temperate zones.

But make sure the API classification of the engine oil you are using matches with the recommended value. There are C (for diesel engines CD, CF, etc) and S (for gasoline engines SF, SD, SJ, SL, SN etc, ).

At the end of the day my brother... my point is for people to follow and read the owners manual at all times.. If you are using 20w50 instead of 5w30 ,you are causing more damage to your cars... 5w30 is a multi grade oil ,meaning good for hot and cold climates.... Your engine are design to accommodate certain levels of thickness.. Meaning if your engine is designed to 5w30, 10w20 etc u now go and part 20w50 which is the most thickness , you end damaging ur engine... that much thickness will not flow properly ...it will seems as if it's been force ..
On the other end if you are using engine that is not thick enough by the manufacture .. Your engine will not get enough lubricant to grease the engine.. You end killing the pistons and other engine components... when engines are made ,they are made to take certain oil grade and weight.. That is the reason u need to read owners manual..

5 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 2:59pm On Sep 09, 2019
mammanbawa:

Experience is the best teacher
Over the years I've used numerous cars from different brands and none of them has failed me or the subsequent owners
Ikenna351 can bear witness to how good the 20w 50 is on his pug

Obviously you and ikenna351 know a lot better than the manufacture. Maybe you guys should start building your own engine..

PS.. Imaging somebody giving out there 2015 range rover for you to help do oil change... so 20w50 u go use for a 30million naira car....?

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ascendo(m): 3:37pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

At the end of the day my brother... my point is for people to follow and read the owners manual at all times.. If you are using 20w50 instead of 5w30 ,you are causing more damage to your cars... 5w30 is a multi grade oil ,meaning good for hot and cold climates.... Your engine are design to accommodate certain levels of thickness.. Meaning if your engine is designed to 5w30, 10w20 etc u now go and part 20w50 which is the most thickness , you end damaging ur engine... that much thickness will not flow properly ...it will seems as if it's been force ..
On the other end if you are using engine that is not thick enough by the manufacture .. Your engine will not get enough lubricant to grease the engine.. You end killing the pistons and other engine components... when engines are made ,they are made to take certain oil grade and weight.. That is the reason u need to read owners manual..

I know what Im telling you. Get a Toyota Camry 1999 model and check the Engine oil Cap. You will see 5W30. Buy a 5W30 and use on it, you will notice that the oil dries up. Most of the times, these cars arent meant for the market we are using them in. Check Toyota Products from SA, you will see that there is a table for selection and you will see 20W50 there.

Do you want an evidence? Check the picture attached for Selection chart. You MUST consider TEMPERATURE before selection but OilGrade ie API Classification MUST be maintained

This is my field!

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ascendo(m): 3:39pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

Also, Remember that 20W50 is Multigrade as well. Monograde are those lube with SAE40 kind of API
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mejai(m): 4:31pm On Sep 09, 2019
All this oil talk sef, local man is fed up. If one has been using 5W30 and issue of oil burning starts(coro and the gang), without any visible leaks, do you suggest one continues with 5w30? Which , of course, a litre costs almost 3500.

You claim to run 12k miles on mobil and Toyota coro encourages to top oil after 1000km, how much oil should local man then use to top up?

Don't you think 20w50 with OCI at 3000-5000km is reasonable? With occasional top up?
Local man cannot can sef.... Explain dru23
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

So we should believe you without experience?
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 5:05pm On Sep 09, 2019
mejai:
All this oil talk sef, local man is fed up. If one has been using 5W30 and issue of oil burning starts(coro and the gang), without any visible leaks, do you suggest one continues with 5w30? Which , of course, a litre costs almost 3500.

You claim to run 12k miles on mobil and Toyota coro encourages to top oil after 1000km, how much oil should local man then use to top up?

Don't you think 20w50 with OCI at 3000-5000km is reasonable? With occasional top up?

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 5:11pm On Sep 09, 2019
mejai:

My brother my only advice is to follow manufacturer advice and use the recommended oil.. .. The only time I used 20w50 or any thing 20w was when my old uber car was shorting oil .. I use the oil till the engine was bringing out or types of smoke ...
And also if you have been using 20w oyel for long and you want switch to manufacturer's recommendation ,my advice is don't switch o .. Just continue using the 20w oye, but if your car na tokunbo or you have been using the rite oye, I will continue using the rite oyel.... I will not for sure use oil 20w for any latest model car at all .. Those engines can cost a fortune to replace .. At the end of the day each to his own.....also 5w30 is multi grade oil.. It will do fine in cold or hot weather ..just make sure u oil meets API and other USA specifications ...
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by dru23(m): 5:24pm On Sep 09, 2019
Smartchoiice:

So we should believe you without experience?

You don't have to .... All I know is that when I started doing uber, most of my cars were damaged by oil sold for Nigeria market. I had to sell all my uber cars o... And I started importing my own oyel for personal use.. Than my fellow uber partners had similar issues that I had .. One thing lead to another I started selling them ...but again if you have been using 20w50 oil or whatever u are using . Please continue using it ...the 5w30 that I import will not fix any damages.. The right oil grade is to protect and prolong your engine...
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 6:46pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

You don't have to .... All I know is that when I started doing uber, most of my cars were damaged by oil sold for Nigeria market. I had to sell all my uber cars o... And I started importing my own oyel for personal use.. Than my fellow uber partners had similar issues that I had .. One thing lead to another I started selling them ...but again if you have been using 20w50 oil or whatever u are using . Please continue using it ...the 5w30 that I import will not fix any damages.. The right oil grade is to protect and prolong your engine...

Point taken under advisement. But rejected. 20W-50 issa goal

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 7:08pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

Obviously you and ikenna351 know a lot better than the manufacture. Maybe you guys should start building your own engine..

PS.. Imaging somebody giving out there 2015 range rover for you to help do oil change... so 20w50 u go use for a 30million naira car....?

You're so funny
I said my vehicles
PS I never used a Range Rover
And the price of a vehicle doesn't necessarily mean it requires expensive oil change though I know vehicles like Range Rover have a strict protocol users must follow
But for the vehicles I've used
I've used only 20w 50
And it has served me well
I use a Kia, Toyota and Peugeot
I've seen vehicles that cost more than 30m using 20w 50
So what are you saying?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by ascendo(m): 7:17pm On Sep 09, 2019
dru23:

PS.. Imaging somebody giving out there 2015 range rover for you to help do oil change... so 20W50 u go use for a 30million naira car....?

For engine manufactured from 2008 to 2012, part synthetic is better ie like 10W40...but from 2013 upwards...its strictly synthetic ie 0W20, 5W30, 5W40...

I can help you get all these if need be..
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by oluwaseunla(m): 7:41pm On Sep 09, 2019
mammanbawa:

You're so funny
I said my vehicles
PS I never used a Range Rover
And the price of a vehicle doesn't necessarily mean it requires expensive oil change though I know vehicles like Range Rover have a strict protocol users must follow
But for the vehicles I've used
I've used only 20w 50
And it has served me well
I use a Kia, Toyota and Peugeot
I've seen vehicles that cost more than 30m using 20w 50
So what are you saying?

For the cars you've used then. I have had cars in the workshop with camshaft related codes and loss of power that got fixed just by changing the oil to manufacturer's specs. Nothing else was done. Some of those customers are from Nairaland. I also support sticking to manufacturer's recommendations.

5 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 7:44pm On Sep 09, 2019
oluwaseunla:

For the cars you've used then. I have had cars in the workshop with camshaft related codes and loss if power that got fixed just by changing the oil to manufacturer's specs. Nothing else was done. Some of those customers are from Nairaland. I also support sticking to manufacturer's recommendations.

Everyone has his story
There's also a story here on NL where a car was destroyed cos of this advise
He changed oil to manufacture's spec and the motor went berserk

3 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by oluwaseunla(m): 7:45pm On Sep 09, 2019
mammanbawa:

Everyone has his story
There's also a story here on NL where a car was destroyed cos of this advise
He changed oil to manufacture's spec and the motor went berserk

Yes, if the engine is no longer in a good shape. I don't recommend 5W-30 in a sludged up, smoking engine. But a pristine engine, and in goes 20W-50, come on.

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mammanbawa: 7:48pm On Sep 09, 2019
oluwaseunla:

Yes, if the engine is no longer in a good shape. I don't recommend 5W-30 in a sludged up, smoking engine. But a pristine engine, and in goes 20W-50, come on.
My 2014 Kia Sorento has over 130k kms on the odo
Bought brand new since 2014
First and only user
20w 50 used at 5k kms interval
Engine still pristine
Steams on cold start
Same with my pug and sienna
All vehicles steam on cold start
All have over 100k kms and they're doing fine
This is my story
And I'm sticking to what does me well
I understand you nevertheless and I won't stop anyone from sticking to manufacturer spec

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by oluwaseunla(m): 7:49pm On Sep 09, 2019
mammanbawa:

My 2014 Kia Sorento has over 130k kam on the odo
First and only user
Engine still pristine
Steams on cold start
This is my story
I understand you nevertheless and I won't stop anyone from sticking to manufacturer spec

Ok then. That's good for you.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by seunoj: 7:58pm On Sep 09, 2019
oluwaseunla:

Bros, do u have any1 who can fix car roof linning very well.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mejai(m): 8:02pm On Sep 09, 2019
mammanbawa:

My 2014 Kia Sorento has over 130k kam on the odo
First and only user
Engine still pristine
Steams on cold start
This is my story
same with my '08 corolla... Bought brand new from Elizade and date of purchase... March 08. 200+km, still dey fire

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by oluwaseunla(m): 8:28pm On Sep 09, 2019
seunoj:

Bros, do u have any1 who can fix car roof linning very well.

Get in touch with the number in my signature.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by thebigkendo(m): 8:40pm On Sep 09, 2019
Oga say we should follow user manual.. But the same Oga say we should do 12k miles with his miracle oil, Please which user manual asked up to do 12k miles on synthetic oil?

The hustle is real sha..

1 Like

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Derailingrailer: 8:51pm On Sep 09, 2019
all these oil talk Sef.
once I give my mechanic money for oil he buys Mobil xhp.
I dunno where una dey see the 20w abi 50w
please u people should show me oh.
I have suffered on this my Benz

modified, I have checked the last komkom
it's showing 20w50
but that's the same oil that people praise everywhere na

2 Likes

Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by mejai(m): 8:53pm On Sep 09, 2019
Derailingrailer:
all these oil talk Sef.
once I give my mechanic money for oil he buys Mobil xhp.
I dunno where una dey see the 20w abi 50w
please u people should show me oh.
I have suffered on this my Benz
grin

I see this thread charging like a turbocharger
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Derailingrailer: 8:54pm On Sep 09, 2019
thebigkendo:
Oga say we should follow user manual.. But the same Oga say we should do 12k miles with his miracle oil, Please which user manual asked up to do 12k miles on synthetic oil?

The hustle is real sha..

12k miles? not km?
doesn't anybody use months to change?
I use months, every 3months.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Derailingrailer: 8:59pm On Sep 09, 2019
mejai:

grin

I see this thread charging like a turbocharger

I want to learn oh.
I called Gazuzz and he doesn't want to work on my Benz even though I heard he assists people work on other brands.

he just told me to check his siggy.
he is too straightforward and blunt

maybe I will learn a thing or two to help me inform the mechanic.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by Nobody: 9:06pm On Sep 09, 2019
thebigkendo:

The hustle is real sha..

You and Ekiti lecturer.... Same WhatsApp group.
Re: ......20w50 Oil Does More Harm To Your Engine if it is not needed ... by EgunMogaji2: 9:15pm On Sep 09, 2019
ascendo:

I know what Im telling you. Get a Toyota Camry 1999 model and check the Engine oil Cap. You will see 5W30. Buy a 5W30 and use on it, you will notice that the oil dries up. Most of the times, these cars arent meant for the market we are using them in. Check Toyota Products from SA, you will see that there is a table for selection and you will see 20W50 there.

Do you want an evidence? Check the picture attached for Selection chart. You MUST consider TEMPERATURE before selection but OilGrade ie API Classification MUST be maintained

This is my field!

It appears to me that you’re following the manufacturers recommendations.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

RESOLVED - Transmission Issues: Honda CRV 2002 model / Will You Buy This Old Talbot BI 105 Airline Saloon Car For 14.3 Million Naira? / PAL-V Liberty Flying Car: An Overview

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.