Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,089 members, 7,814,782 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse (2429 Views)

Car Wants To Overheat / Toyota Sienna 10 Pin Gear Not Working In Reverse But Works In Drive / Mazda MPV 4plugs For Sale 280k (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by Hellustic(m): 9:57am On Sep 10, 2019
Hello May Fellow Nairalanders
who can help me out.
recently i begin to notice that anytime i engage in reverse, my Mazda MPV 2003 begins to overheat..
but when i switch off the engine and let it cool like 5mins, switch back on... it stops.
i can travel for 7hours non-stop and everything is okay.. but the minute i have a cause to reverse.. the Temperature starts rising.
I have changed my Radiator, removed the Thermostat but the situation still persist..
any ideas on how to deal with this challenge.?
Thank you

Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by mustydeen(m): 3:06pm On Sep 10, 2019
Hellustic:
who can help me out.
recently i begin to notice that anytime i engage in reverse, my Mazda MPV 2003 begins to overheat..
but when i switch off the engine and let it cool like 5mins, switch back on... it stops.
i can travel for 7hours non-stop and everything is okay.. but the minute i have a cause to reverse.. the Temperature starts rising.
I have changed my Radiator, removed the Thermostat but the situation still persist..
Thank you

Check all hoses.

Preferably, pressure test the system to find leaks
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by thebigkendo(m): 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2019
Hellustic:
who can help me out.
Thank you

Does it overheat in traffic?
I suspect your cooling fans are rotating in the wrong direction..

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by naijadrivablog: 9:04pm On Sep 10, 2019
Apart from village people, what else could cause this? Na joke o

Seriously, check the fan. Is it a clutch fan or electric fan your multipurpose Van has?

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by oweniwe(m): 9:29pm On Sep 10, 2019
Put your poor thermostat back o... Since you have now seen that it is not the cause of the overheating embarassed
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by AutoElectNG: 11:52pm On Sep 10, 2019
Hellustic:
who can help me out.
Thank you

Have you tested this car in slow moving traffic?

I am inclined to believe that you have problems with your fans or the fan control module for your ride.

Extensive electrical testing is recommended to rule out the actual cause of the fault.

If the vehicle cooling system fails during reverse, it should also fail during heavy traffic.

Please remediate ASAP.
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by TRYGO(m): 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2019
I'm just thinking whether this has anything to do with that transmission system in reverse?

Is it possible for you to scanned that car, and observed the transmission system temperature (fluid) at reverse, and compared that with when in park, and drive at stationary?

Do you noticed the problem when its in reverse while its idling, or moving?

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:calls/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo
Lagos
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by Nobody: 4:02am On Sep 12, 2019
TRYGO:
I'm just thinking whether this has anything to do with that transmission system in reverse?

Is it possible for you to scanned that car, and observed the transmission system temperature (fluid) at reverse, and compared that with when in park, and drive at stationary?

Do you noticed the problem when its in reverse while its idling, or moving?

Regards,
Joseph (08066643532:calls/WhatsApp)
DW Nig Ltd
Isolo
Lagos

Sir, with all due respect, kindly ensure that you write in correct English language. It is quite difficult to follow your write-ups.
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by thebigkendo(m): 2:20pm On Sep 13, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Sir, with all due respect, kindly ensure that you write in correct English language. It is quite difficult to follow your write-ups.

Cyber bully

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by Nobody: 3:16pm On Sep 13, 2019
thebigkendo:

Cyber bully
Cyberbandit
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by ugreat(m): 4:01pm On Sep 13, 2019
Smartchoiice:

Respect yourself Man

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by Nobody: 5:53pm On Sep 13, 2019
ugreat:

Respect yourself Man
Cyber bully.
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by Hellustic(m): 4:39pm On Oct 09, 2019
AutoElectNG:

Have you tested this car in slow moving traffic?

I am inclined to believe that you have problems with your fans or the fan control module for your ride.

Extensive electrical testing is recommended to rule out the actual cause of the fault.

If the vehicle cooling system fails during reverse, it should also fail during heavy traffic.

Please remediate ASAP.

Hello... yes.. i travelled to Epe last week and noticed it also overheats during heavy traffic... but during the traffic while it was overheating.. i came out to check the Fan and both were blowing very well..... confused here...
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by Hellustic(m): 4:41pm On Oct 09, 2019
thebigkendo:

Does it overheat in traffic?
I suspect your cooling fans are rotating in the wrong direction..

They are blowing well cos when ever i switch it on, i put paper or nylon at the front of the Bonnet.. it sticks to the body... i just need a mechanic that wil help me out...
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by thebigkendo(m): 5:09pm On Oct 09, 2019
Hellustic:

They are blowing well cos when ever i switch it on, i put paper or nylon at the front of the Bonnet.. it sticks to the body... i just need a mechanic that wil help me out...

Now you are left with two other possibilities
-Defective Radiator: Could be dirty, clogged or Bad
-Water pump: Impeller blades might have worn out
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by AutoElectNG: 10:09am On Oct 15, 2019
Hellustic:

Hello... yes.. i travelled to Epe last week and noticed it also overheats during heavy traffic... but during the traffic while it was overheating.. i came out to check the Fan and both were blowing very well..... confused here...

Did you say fan or fans? During periods of extremely hot weather, both fans should spin.

Remember that I said; If the vehicle cooling system fails during reverse, it should also fail during heavy traffic.

You have confirmed this to be true.

Do your fans come on as soon as you turn on the ignition? If yes, computer engine management has been bypassed, and this maybe the reason for your woes.

Please confirm or disprove.

Is this statement still true? i can travel for 7hours non-stop and everything is okay..

Remember I said something about the fan control module and that is because it has been the subject of a recall campaign for the fan control module to address issues related to the cooling fans either running 24/7 or not running at all or running erratically due to factory soldering errors in the fan control module .

You can confirm or disprove if your vehicle is the subject of this recall and if recall was performed on your ride by visiting https://www.mymazda.com/MyMazda/welcome.action, signing up, inputting your VIN.

You can also learn some more about the recall in question here: http://www.mpvclub.com/recalls.php?id=16

I am inclined to believe your problem is with a failed fan control module or with running the fans direct assuming of course all other parts of the cooling system are running in their stock configurations.

All the best.
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by EngRichie: 12:12pm On Oct 15, 2019
You didn't state the period transmission stays in reverse gear before it begins to overheat.
Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by AutoElectNG: 1:21pm On Oct 15, 2019
If your thermostat is fine, and your radiator is fine, and your water pump is fine, and there is no leak from any part of the cooling system, then this would be my workflow.

Are all cooling system sensors operating correctly? Mazda MPV 2003 has one engine coolant temperature sensor. Mazda MPV 2000/1 had two. This means conducting continuity and resistance checks.

If yes, are all the relays that control the cooling system operating optimally?

If yes, is everything ok with the fan motors and the fan blades?

If all the above check out, then you have a problem with the fan modules!

It seems you are flying blind, solving problems from symptoms, not from the source of the trouble, check this vehicle for DTCs so you will not take us along with you on this blind flight.

Checking for DTCS should actually have been your starting point.

1 Like

Re: Mazda Mpv Begins To Overheat Anytime Engage In Reverse by EngRichie: 3:27pm On Oct 16, 2019
I guess you have fixed this issue since the complaint has lasted for a while.

My guess is if it overheats when reverse gear is engaged for a while is that you have a clutch that engages on reverse slipping badly.

(1) (Reply)

Which Engine Oil Is Perfect For ML320 Mercedes Benz SUV In Nigeria / Miss Belvedere,A Plymouth Belvedere Sport Coupe,Buried Underground For 50yrs / Benz C240 Fresh From The Yard For Sale @ Give Away Price.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.