Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,712 members, 7,831,226 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward (325 Views)

I Risked My Life To Abuja For Osun’s Sake, Says Adeleke / $100 Reward For Any Urchin That Shows Us Tinubu's Photo With Classmates / Unongo: We Supported Buhari In 2015, Risked Our Lives, History Will Judge Him (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward by darichlife: 8:42pm On Sep 10, 2019
A father of two who risked his life and drove a burning fuel tanker away from a fuel station, exiting it in time before it exploded to save possibly dozens, has been given a $100 reward.

Nairobi News reports that the heroic driver, James Mugo Kangara, 50, was offloading fuel at the fuel station when he noticed fire coming from the lower part of the tanker. The tanker contained some 8,000 liters of fuel at the time of the explosion.

Kangara then tried to disconnect the fuel hose from the tanker, but was unsuccessful and so he decided that the only option left was to quickly drive the truck away from the station, reports Standardmedia.

After driving a distance safe enough to get off, he quickly jumped out of the vehicle and run for his life before the truck eventually burst out in flames, gripping the market area with fear as residents began to come out.

“I managed to drive the burning tanker away from the shops and residential houses. I managed to jump out just in time before the tanker burst into flames and was reduced to a shell,” said the driver.

The incident, which took place in the Embu County, received national attention as heaps of praises were directed at Kangara, prompting the County Commissioner to get in touch with him to thank him.

Galgallo Abdullahi, the County Commissioner, then presented an amount of Sh10,000 ($100) to him, applauding him for his bravery.

He also thanked him for putting his life on the line to save the community and the nation of properties that could have run into millions of Kenyan Shillings, reports Nairobi News.

“The driver acted boldly and other Kenyans should follow his example and sacrifice for the betterment of others,” said Mr Abdullahi.

An emotional and grateful Kangara, in tears, thanked the County rep for the kind gesture, stressing that while performing that act of bravery, the least of things he expected was a reward.

“I never expected this would happen to me. I’m excited,” he said at the commissioner’s office.

Some Kenyans have been reacting to the story, calling for more to be done for the father of two.

Re: Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward by Sunofgod(m): 8:43pm On Sep 10, 2019
What an insult!

He should reject it and request the filling station gives him a 20% share!
Re: Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward by PureGoldh(m): 8:43pm On Sep 10, 2019
Nice one..... God will surely reward him too
Re: Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward by psucc(m): 8:51pm On Sep 10, 2019
Something is fundamentally wrong with the African Continent.

In another news just here in Nigeria in the city of Kano, a division 2 club signed a player for a record breaking fee of N5000(still within the $100 range)
Re: Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward by psucc(m): 8:52pm On Sep 10, 2019
Something is fundamentally wrong with the African Continent.

In another news just here in Nigeria in the city of Kano, a division 2 club signed a player for a record breaking fee of N5000
Re: Kenyan Man Who Risked His Life To Save Lives Gets Only $100 Reward by LesaSid: 10:20pm On Sep 10, 2019
IT'S SOMETHING.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking News: Buhari Has WAEC, Tribunal Says As It Strikes Out Suit / See The Viral Photo Of Lawyers Sleeping At The Presidential Tribunal / FG Vows To Keep Borders Shut Till Neighbouring Countries Comply

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.