Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,358 members, 7,815,758 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Fg Ponders National Guard - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fg Ponders National Guard (1750 Views)

Biafra National Guard Asked Buhari To Release All Detained Biafrans Held-pics / Usgovernment To Send States' National Guard Forces To Ebola-stricken West Africa / Establish A National Guard Service - Employ 36,500 Yearly (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fg Ponders National Guard by Onlytruth(m): 3:18am On Oct 30, 2010
[size=16pt]FG ponders National Guard[/size]

By Hugo ODIOGOR

NIGERIA may have a national guard under a new security system being considered by the Federal Government to deal with security lapses in the country.

The guard is expected to handle internal security operations such as the recurring Jos civil disturbances, Boko Haram uprisings, and militancy in the Niger Delta.

Saturday Vanguard gathered that following the twin bomb explosions at the Eagles Square in Abuja during the 50th Independence anniversary, President Goodluck Jonathan has decided to set his sight on:

*reorganisation of the nation’s security and intelligence community;
*introduction of technology in the fight against terrorism;
*evolution of a legal framework to strengthen the anti terrorism war;

*creation of a Homeland Ministry to co-ordinate internal security operations; and
*formation of a national guard to take care of civil unrests, kidnapping, electoral violence, illegal oil bunkering, and vandalization of oil and gas facilities and militancy in the oil producing areas, among others.

The President has already initiated the anti terrorism bill and sources told Saturday Vanguard that he “is favourably disposed to the idea of introducing the use of surveillance cameras in public places and government offices”.

Sources said in Abuja that the seat of federal power has become a beehive of activities for foreign security firms seeking government attention for their various public safety and security gadgets security challenges in the country.

Several security companies from the US, Europe, Asia, Middle East and South Africa are said to be exploiting the existing security lapses to market the use of appropriate technologies to tackle the security challenges.

The Chief Executive of one of the foreign security companies told Saturday Vanguard that “crime has attained a higher sophistication and those who have the responsibility to fight crime must step up to the challenges.

Criminals are usually ahead in their planning and strategies while bureaucracies, inadequate funds and logistics often hinder prompt response to crime fighting, so you need the support of technology to compliment human effort. But the important thing is that deterrence is also a factor in crime fighting”

Proactivesecurity system
It was gathered that President Jonathan is set to further tinker with the country’s security system by the end of the year to make it more proactive.

Said one source: “The President is peeved by the fact that those behind the Abuja bomb blasts on October 1 had given a 24 hour warning of their intention to disrupt the event but this was not followed up by the security organizations”. He is said to prefer a security system that is proactive and creative in combating security breaches in the country.

We have seen security failures in the Jos crises, Boko Haram uprisings; kidnappings; MEND attacks and others. The President is intent on doing something fast about our failure in intelligence gathering and the entire security arrangement in this country. On several occasions our security agencies have been caught napping and our physical and state security are in dire need of serious attention.”

Sources said the president is favourably disposed to the idea of creating a ministry to handle home land securities as “distinct from the encumbered the Ministry of Internal Affairs”.

The ministry is expected to co-ordinate the operations and activities of security agencies and para- military and security out fits that deal with physical security matters; check the threats of terrorism and religious up risings;and leave the police and the civil defence corps with the task of dealing with civil crimes”.

On the national guard, it was gathered that under the nation’s democracy the military cannot be saddled with internal security operations such as the ethnic-religious riots in Jos, Bauchi and other parts of northern Nigeria. “

Experience has shown that we need a National guard as the deployment of Military personnel to combat social conflicts have left more casualties and deaths as we saw in Odi, Zaki Biam,Jukun and Gbaramatu.

We know that the Police were over stretched in dealing with crimes and are also stretched in protecting political leaders,”sources said,adding that the proposed National Guard “will be built round the experience and expertise of service personnel who are being made to retire when they are still active.”

A former member of the House of Representatives, Mr. Ned Nwoko told Saturday Vanguard the supports the idea of introducing appropriate technology to tackle security challenges in Nigeria, “but there will be the need to review some aspects of our laws to allow the use of technology to tackle crimes as video recordings and technological evidences are not accepted in our law courts”.

He added that the introduction of technological equipment to tackle crime will reduce the lack of clues in investigating crimes but should not infringe on personal liberties.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/national-guard-coming/
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Onlytruth(m): 3:20am On Oct 30, 2010
Another IBB brainchild. I wonder why every major Federal Govt policy must have been initiated by IBB. Na wa o.

In any case let's see how this one unfolds. May be good, provided it is done right.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Obiagu1(m): 4:05am On Oct 30, 2010
^^^

IBB has vast ideas for this country and I'll support him till the end.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Osama10(m): 4:33am On Oct 30, 2010
Why creating a new outfit, when all we need is proper training of personnel and up to date equipments/technology in security.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by koruji(m): 4:38am On Oct 30, 2010
So to you guys IBB was the originator of National Guard idea. Hilarious!

Look friends, the guy copies policies verbatim from abroad, which is not bad in itself if you know what you are copying and how it works. IBB is a serial copyist and very bad at implementing any of his looked-up ideas. IBB's National Guard was really a selfish move to perpetuate himself in power, only it was Abacha that took it to the next level in cruelty.

The National Guard idea is as ancient as there have been nations on earth!

The only thing GEJ shares with IBB here is that both are copying the National Guard idea, and GEJ is adding the Homeland idea to his copied works.

Nigeria doesn't need these high and mighty ideas, when we can't get the simple things to work in the first place.

[size=14pt]Like helping the police to really learn to police, for example.[/size]

They are going to create another bloated dead on arrival  and corrupt to the bone bureaucracy.

How is the Niger Delta Development Commission doing? Just pay Niger Delta people their money directly already - instead of passing it from hand to hand. Is that too difficult to arrange?

Obiagu1:

^^^
IBB has vast ideas for this country and I'll support him till the end.

Onlytruth:

Another IBB brainchild. I wonder why every major Federal Govt policy must have been initiated by IBB. Na wa o.
In any case let's see how this one unfolds. May be good, provided it is done right.

1 Like

Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Onlytruth(m): 4:49am On Oct 30, 2010
^^

I partly agree.  cool

Giant bureaucracies only complicate simple problems.
Instead of a national guard (to suppress dissent), why not convoke a national conference to discuss how to exist together?

MEND, kidnapping, Boko Haram et al can be solved by divulging power from the center to the regions and states.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by ITbomb(m): 8:46am On Oct 30, 2010
Recently, the police are complaining about clash of responsibility with civil defence. Now what will the army say
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by egift(m): 12:39pm On Oct 30, 2010
They can establish CTU - Counter Terorist Unit - and make me the head. I will Jack Bauer many of you guys grin

But seriously (from a technological perspective) we can secure Nigeria, by:
- Establishing multi-level, secured database that will be managed by a designated security organ that will feed access and info to all security establishment in the country.
[b]- [/b]Train and equip security agencies (especially on how to interract with other members of the society).
[b]- [/b]Pay well and in time.

But when it comes to Nigeria, nothing works - even if you like throw 10 oil blocks at it.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by juman(m): 12:51pm On Oct 30, 2010
This is just another way to waste public money. I am afraid Presdent Jonathan lack idea of his own. This is one of those IBB useless ideas.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by juman(m): 1:06pm On Oct 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

why not convoke a national conference to discuss how to exist together?

MEND, kidnapping, Boko Haram et al can be solved by divulging power from the center to the regions and states.

State police is a good idea. But the best solution to our numerous problems is goverment should fight corruption and reduce poverty.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 1:17pm On Oct 30, 2010
This is just another duplication of function and attempt to further suck this country dry.what has come out of the numerous security agencies we have on ground.
The police,the sss and the army are just there wasting yet we are thinking of setting up another agency.why do we need Efcc if ICPC can do the same job ?
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Beaf: 2:37pm On Oct 30, 2010
I think it is high time all troublesome parasites got a kick in the teeth and learned where their meals are actually come from and who controls the purse strings. Presido form your loyal army jare! Its time to kick some ungrateful arses.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 30, 2010
Beaf:

I think it is high time all troublesome parasites got a kick in the teeth and learned where their meals are actually come from and who controls the purse strings. Presido form your loyal army jare! Its time to kick some ungrateful arses.
Are the present security agencies not loyal to Jonathan
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Beaf: 3:02pm On Oct 30, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Are the present security agencies not loyal to Jonathan

If you were in his position, your preoccupation would be strategies for a looming war. People need to learn to respect their neigbours, whether they are quiet or they are from minorities or they are Southerners or they are Middle Belters. If that respect can only come through force, then so be it. I believe that is the FG's thinking.

If anyone is importing rockets and setting off bombs, then let them be ready.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by juman(m): 4:38pm On Oct 30, 2010
Beaf:

If you were in his position, your preoccupation would be strategies for a looming war. People need to learn to respect their neigbours, whether they are quiet or they are from minorities or they are Southerners or they are Middle Belters. If that respect can only come through force, then so be it. I believe that is the FG's thinking.

Nonsense. Yes to ODUA nation.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Onlytruth(m): 5:36pm On Oct 30, 2010
Beaf:

I thought about the same thing. Didn't wanna say it though 'cos of folks who may not accept it. For any change to happen in Nigeria, the real power must change hands. Watch how the guards will be recruited. If Jonathan is planning what I think, it will reflect the REAL federal character. Not the fake population one.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 5:52pm On Oct 30, 2010
Beaf:

Did you perceieve war ? Actually I didn't notice.This is akin to when Obj came into power,he took drastic measures in the armed forces.Jonathan is the president of Nigeria and should not create an atmosphere of anarchy for himself.
creating a new security agency is not the best way to ascert his presidential power without fear or favour.He should reform the military for bettet performance even if it means taking drastic constitutional ,measures to achieve such.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Beaf: 6:07pm On Oct 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

I thought about the same thing. Didn't wanna say it though 'cos of folks who may not accept it. For any change to happen in Nigeria, the real power must change hands. Watch how the guards will be recruited. If Jonathan is planning what I think, it will reflect the REAL federal character. Not the fake population one.

I think every Nigerian must be aware of the cards being laid down on the table. Nobody is giving ground to any fcker, especially to fckers like the Ciroma's and Kanti Bello's who hail from Nigeria's backwaters like Katsina and Yobe. Who do these people think they are dictating to?

I like the way you say "REAL federal character," it sounds totally mischievous wink. An easy way to kill the "argument" would be to emphasise both merit and the high tech angle, that way you knock off any unschooled people (and shame no go let pipul complain cool).
The next step would be to do a thorough internal "reorganisation" of JTF, which is by far Nigeria's most powerful brigade; with sea, land and air components. After which they can be further beefed up with more sophisticated drones than they currently have, better personel carriers and desert fighting tactics.

Let the new National Guard alone, man Abuja. After all the above (and more, trusting more knowledgable security folk), Yakasai, Ciroma, Kanti Bello and the other members of their their gang of bats can be locked up and the key thrown away.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Beaf: 6:10pm On Oct 30, 2010
~Bluetooth:

Did you perceieve war ? Actually I didn't notice.This is akin to when Obj came into power,he took drastic measures in the armed forces.Jonathan is the president of Nigeria and should not create an atmosphere of anarchy for himself.
creating a new security agency is not the best way to ascert his presidential power without fear or favour.He should reform the military for bettet performance even if it means taking drastic constitutional ,measures to achieve such.

I don't know about you, but when people continuosly threaten to make the country ungovernable, I interprete it as a potent threat to war. If I was Jonathan, I would do what he is doing. Nobody holds a monopoly on potential for violence or anarchy.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 30, 2010
Beaf:

I don't know about you, but when people continuosly threaten to make the country ungovernable, I interprete it as a potent threat to war. If I was Jonathan, I would do what he is doing. Nobody holds a monopoly on potential for violence or anarchy.

Honestly I think we have over-classified the threats coming from the north.Do you actually think the north would take any action or cause war that will split Nigeria when they know what they are benefitting from the union ?
The myth surrounding the north has always been as a result of the long military rule by them.Just look at a whole IBB of those days and see the way he's been rubbished in a democratical setting.
Obj has taken drastic measures in the past against the north and nothing happened.this whole north thingy to me is just an irony.I don't believe it all.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Ikengawo: 7:05pm On Oct 30, 2010
god you guys are RETARDED! lol

are you seriously AGAINST the idea of a national guard?!
wtf? why?

lets say the police force isn't good, how is having a national guard going to be bad!?
you people suck lol. you talk about the nigerian leaders being bad but you people have 0 ideas and 0 understanding of the real world and if put in their position you would be regressive and ignorant as death smh.

WOW. i was even wondering why nigeria didn't have a national guard and you guys are AGAINST that idea wtf is wrong with you?

what real country in the world doesn't have a national guard? quit being so ignorant.
ANYTHING nigeria does you people are against it.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by ITbomb(m): 7:11pm On Oct 30, 2010
^in all your rantin you didnt educate us on why we need a national guard, or is it just because some other country has it
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 7:20pm On Oct 30, 2010
Ikengawo:

wtf? why?

lets say the police force isn't good, how is having a national guard going to be bad!?
you people suck lol. you talk about the nigerian leaders being bad but you people have 0 ideas and 0 understanding of the real world and if put in their position you would be regressive and ignorant as death smh.

WOW. i was even wondering why nigeria didn't have a national guard and you guys are AGAINST that idea wtf is wrong with you?

what real country in the world doesn't have a national guard? quit being so ignorant.
How do we ensure the effectiveness of the new security outfit when we cannot manage the police and the other security agencies on ground ?
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 30, 2010
*creation of a Homeland Ministry to co-ordinate internal security operations; and

I thought we have Ministry of Interior?

Why can't we wake them up from slumber instead of creating a new Homeland Ministry?

All I see is re-creation of existing agencies or duplication of responsibilities. All of these sound great on paper but the fact that there exists outfits that should have been doing these things but are not doing them; you just wonder whether enough thinking has gone into this.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 7:45pm On Oct 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

I find it amazing what you guys come up with sometimes. Who says if this is a private Army it will be used for the purposes you guys think it will be used for?

This is how dictators emerge, go and look at the History of Saddam Husein and Robert Mugabe . . . some group of people within their country thought these leaders were fighting their course until even they became victims of their authoritarian regimes.

All I will say is be careful what you wish for.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 7:53pm On Oct 30, 2010
mikeansy:

I thought we have Ministry of Interior?

Why can't we wake them up from slumber instead of creating a new Homeland Ministry?

All I see is re-creation of existing agencies or duplication of responsibilities.
All of these sound great on paper but the fact that there exists outfits that should have been doing these things but are not doing them; you just wonder whether enough thinking has gone into this.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by koruji(m): 8:27pm On Oct 30, 2010
You are the one drinking kainkain. LOL

Why can't the police be good? Is the National Guard not going to be made up of Nigerians and administered the same way as our current policy/army? It is a waster of effort and funds that will only lead to a private militia. Period!

Ikengawo:

wtf? why?
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by koruji(m): 8:34pm On Oct 30, 2010
I am going to have to disagree that President GEJ needs or can successfully implement this kind of arrangement - if that is the purpose or even if only perceived to be for that purpose.

It will only lead to one thing - A Northern Coup and the subsequent dismembering of Nigeria. Perhaps that is not such a bad thing as an end result, but forming a National Guard to counter what is on ground will lead to a reaction that will truncate it before it is capable of protecting its objective.

What we need is a brave political solution that convinces the North, West, East, South-South, Middle Belt or what have you that it is in their ultimate interest to do what is right.

Any moves of this nature cannot be done openly or through the instruments of state - it will fail.

Beaf:

I think every Nigerian must be aware of the cards being laid down on the table. Nobody is giving ground to any fcker, especially to fckers like the Ciroma's and Kanti Bello's who hail from Nigeria's backwaters like Katsina and Yobe. Who do these people think they are dictating to?

I like the way you say "REAL federal character," it sounds totally mischievous wink. An easy way to kill the "argument" would be to emphasise both merit and the high tech angle, that way you knock off any unschooled people (and shame no go let pipul complain cool).
The next step would be to do a thorough internal "reorganisation" of JTF, which is by far Nigeria's most powerful brigade; with sea, land and air components. After which they can be further beefed up with more sophisticated drones than they currently have, better personel carriers and desert fighting tactics.

Let the new National Guard alone, man Abuja. After all the above (and more, trusting more knowledgable security folk), Yakasai, Ciroma, Kanti Bello and the other members of their their gang of bats can be locked up and the key thrown away.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by OmoTier1(m): 8:41pm On Oct 30, 2010
I think this is a good idea. As for the Homeland ministry, I think it is long over due! In my own opinion, I do not think having both the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry for Homeland Security is any duplication of duties. Let Ministry of Interior be responsible for other matters except SECURITY and let the Ministry of Homeland be responsible soley for security!The Ministry should only have a Minister of State ( i.e a depty Minister) and Let the President or His Vice ( whoever that maybe) head that department. Fuse all the security agencies into that Ministry including  Federal police.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I DO OT THINK NIGERIA IS RIPE FOR STATE POLICE! WITH THE LIKES OF OGUN STATE GOV'NOR OR OYO STATE GOV'NOR STILL IN POWER, THEN STATE POLICE IS A NO FOR NOW!

As for the National Guard, I think it is a brilliant move! Instead of having a bloated  and in efficient Police force, take about 90,000 of the current Elite in the police, get them trained for 6months and form a national guard! While these ones are ready to guard the country internal along side with the Civil Defence Corp, take the remaining police and have them trained properly for 9months. Give them 21st century training on how to police a democracy and then equip them with high tech equipment. Reach agreement with police to have their pay structure reformed within 5years (which I believe is realistic).

JUST WONDERING, DOES ANY ONE HAVE A COPY OF THE CURRENT BLUE PRINT OF POLICE REFORM WHICH IS TO LAST FOR 5YEARS ie 2010 to 2015?
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Nobody: 8:55pm On Oct 30, 2010
Omo_Tier1:

I think this is a good idea. As for the Homeland ministry, I think it is long over due! In my own opinion, I do not think having both the Ministry of Interior and the Ministry for Homeland Security is any duplication of duties.[b] Let Ministry of Interior be responsible for other matters except SECURITY and let the Ministry of Homeland be responsible soley for security![/b]The Ministry should only have a Minister of State ( i.e a depty Minister) and Let the President or His Vice ( whoever that maybe) head that department. Fuse all the security agencies into that Ministry including  Federal police.

IN MY HUMBLE OPINION, I DO OT THINK NIGERIA IS RIPE FOR STATE POLICE! WITH THE LIKES OF OGUN STATE GOV'NOR OR OYO STATE GOV'NOR STILL IN POWER, THEN STATE POLICE IS A NO FOR NOW!

As for the National Guard, I think it is a brilliant move! Instead of having a bloated  and in efficient Police force, take about 90,000 of the current Elite in the police, get them trained for 6months and form a national guard! While these ones are ready to guard the country internal along side with the Civil Defence Corp, take the remaining police and have them trained properly for 9months. Give them 21st century training on how to police a democracy and then equip them with high tech equipment. Reach agreement with police to have their pay structure reformed within 5years (which I believe is realistic).

JUST WONDERING, DOES ANY ONE HAVE A COPY OF THE CURRENT BLUE PRINT OF POLICE REFORM WHICH IS TO LAST FOR 5YEARS ie 2010 to 2015?

Are you sure you read what you just wrote here ? What other things do you want the interior minister to do apart from security ?
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by Onlytruth(m): 9:03pm On Oct 30, 2010
mikeansy:

I find it amazing what you guys come up with sometimes. Who says if this is a private Army it will be used for the purposes you guys think it will be used for?

This is how dictators emerge, go and look at the History of Saddam Husein and Robert Mugabe . . . some group of people within their country thought these leaders were fighting their course until even they became victims of their authoritarian regimes.

All I will say is be careful what you wish for.

I couldn't see any other reason why Jonathan is installing a new army if not that he lacks complete trust and confidence in the substantive one. You would agree that Nigeria is too complicated to pocket like Zimbabwe or Iraq.
So, Jonathan cannot pocket Nigeria. All I see is an attempt to "balance power". The only question in my mind is whether he is charismatic enough to pull it off.
We already have all the security forces we need in Nigeria. If any is not working well, he can reform and equip it. Forming a national guard now only signify that he lacks confidence in the existing military.
Let's just watch how things unfold.
Re: Fg Ponders National Guard by 1025: 9:12pm On Oct 30, 2010
jonathan! jonathan!! jonathan!!!

1025 : how many times did i call u?

jonathan : 3 times only

1025 : are u this confused?

jonathan : not that i don't have plans but i want to see how best to win 2011 and afterwards, i will be a man of my own.

1025 : where do u want the history of this country to keep u at the end of ur tenure?

jonathan : i pray that i will have the opportunity to make things right

1025 : must u be president of nigeria come 2011?

jonathan : am not this type of man but i just got myself involved with the do or die group

1025 : ppl think national guard is the brain child of IBB's dictectorial regime, what do u think?

jonathan : are we not the same ppl with the same ambition. ibb is a big influence u have to know that.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bb Heading For Another Defeat; 80% Of Literate Supporters Dont Know Party Logo / Mujahid Dokubo-asari , Ex-warlord Warns Of S.nigeria Backlash At Boko Haram / Gunmen Kill Two University Of Maiduguri Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.