Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:05 AM

Steering Rack Wahala - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Steering Rack Wahala (1632 Views)

How I Fixed My My Car Steering Rack / Power Steering Rack For Toyota Camry 2.4 / Whats Wrong With This Steering Rack? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Steering Rack Wahala by Kelvin30286063(m): 2:13pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hey guys, I've not posted here for a while... Well mainly because my car has been totally obedient.
Now the disobedience have started again.
Earlier this year, I was forced to change my steering rack after it damaged my pump. It's been leaking for a while.
After I changed the steering rack, I had peace of mind for a few months but just 5 days ago, I noticed my pump is making noise so I check the fluid and noticed that it's low.
I immediately knew that the steering rack is leaking again!
Now I'm about to buy another steering rack and the kazeem I'm managing said I should not use Abro fluid but instead I should use engine oil. According to him, the transmission fluid is responsible for the quick damage of the steering rack!

Please gurus, advice me! How true is this statement and if that's true, is it advisable to use engine oil as power steering fluid?

I drive a 2006 accord Europe spec.

Re: Steering Rack Wahala by Inception(m): 2:37pm On Sep 19, 2019
cc. Luvinhubby
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by oluwaseunla(m): 3:04pm On Sep 19, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
Hey guys, I've not posted here for a while... Well mainly because my car has been totally obedient.
Earlier this year, I was forced to change my steering rack after it damaged my pump. It's been licking for a while.
After I changed the steering rack, I had peace of mind for a few months but just 5 days ago, I noticed my pump is making noise so I check the fluid and noticed that it's low.
I immediately knew that the steering rack is licking again!
Now I'm about to buy another steering rack and the kazeem I'm managing said I should not use Abro fluid but instead I should use engine oil. According to him, the transmission fluid is responsible for the quick damage of the steering rack!

Please gurus, advice me! How true is this statement and if that's true, is it advisable to use engine oil as power steering fluid?

Honda has a steering fluid for your vehicle, get it. In cases like this, a brand new rack is preferable to used ones. In some cases, a rekit can also be done. You can explore that option.
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by double3(m): 3:39pm On Sep 19, 2019
Kelvin30286063:
Earlier this year, I was forced to change my steering rack after it damaged my pump. It's been licking for a while.
I immediately knew that the steering rack is licking again!

use oem recommended fluid,that could be the reason for recurrent break down
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by Kelvin30286063(m): 12:10am On Sep 20, 2019
double3:

use oem recommended fluid,that could be the reason for recurrent break down
Thanks, will do that
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by diportivo: 5:37pm On Sep 20, 2019
adanny01

come oh

come and testify to the goodness of engine oyel for ps oh

me,I av used and it worked for me

i wont advice u to tho grin
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by adanny01(m): 9:00pm On Sep 20, 2019
diportivo:
adanny01

come oh

come and testify to the goodness of engine oyel for ps oh

me,I av used and it worked for me

i wont advice u to tho grin

Wait, na me you won't advice or Kelvin30286063? Cause i just fixed my leaking PS pump this evening and topped it with engine oil.

I discovered a very light Engine oil (drum type) from Conoil, thats what I use now. I have no plans to stop using engine oil as PS fluid.
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by thebigkendo(m): 9:12pm On Sep 20, 2019
adanny01:

Wait, na me you won't advice or Kelvin30286063? Cause i just fixed my leaking PS pump this evening and topped it with engine oil.

I discovered a very light Engine oil (drum type) from Conoil, thats what I use now. I have no plans to stop using engine oil as PS fluid.

Aahan.. Bros you don change am again? It use to be red visco 2000 angry

1 Like

Re: Steering Rack Wahala by adanny01(m): 9:40pm On Sep 20, 2019
thebigkendo:

Aahan.. Bros you don change am again? It use to be red visco 2000 angry

No be red make Visco 2000 my suitable PS fluid, to say na red, palmoil 4 dey more suitable.

Viscosity is the watch word.

I assume the oil am using now is SAE 40.
Re: Steering Rack Wahala by diportivo: 12:35am On Sep 21, 2019
adanny01:

not advising the op is what I mean

(1) (Reply)

2006 Volvo Xc90 Automatic Transmission Oil / Is This AC Repair Quote Exorbitant Or Normal? / Top 7 Tips To Help You Avoid Buying A Flood Damaged Car

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.