Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,727 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:00 PM

Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles (2885 Views)

Why Keshi Won't Drop Mikel Obi: His Professionalism / Real Reason Why Keshi Is Shutting Out Kelechi Iheanacho From The Super Eagles. / Patrick Obahiagbon Congratulates The Super Eagles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by SkillJed(m): 10:58pm On Nov 01, 2010
below are excerpts of a report i wrote in october 2009, but believe me, it still makes some sense. and don't mind that i was among the few who thought and openly said that amodu should be allowed to take the super eagles to both the nations and world cups, i still stand by that opinion, the rest is now history. in hindsight, you 'll see, the text made lots of sense:
Does Amodu Have The Technical and Tactical Depth?
Some have concluded that our local coaches (including Amodu) don’t have the technical and tactical depth to coach at the highest level. Some go further and say only Samson Siasia is the Nigerian coach who can coach at the highest level. Where do they place Amodu? He just isn’t good enough! I disagree with them. Truly it’s a pity to see the attitude, outlook, non-professionalism, immaturity, corruption, performance and behaviour of some of our local coaches, even the high-rated ones, it’s appalling to see or analyse some of them. I’m sorry to say, but to be explicit and realistic; one of such is Christian Chukwu. As a coach (not as a man, he may be a good man), the respect and admiration I have for him is as high as zero, he is a nobody. He commands no respect from the press, the players, the F.A., nobody, lacks initiative, authority and direction. His story is for another day, not today.

But there are other Nigerian coaches I have lots of respect and admiration for. People like Shuaibu Amodu, Samson Siasia, Dan Amokachie, Austin Eguavoen, Steve Keshi; on the local scene Kadiri Ikhana, Alphonsus Dike. But the first four mentioned are capable of the national teams, I’m sure of that. While I have lots of respect for Steve Keshi, I’m not sure he can work and succeed in Nigeria, the reason being the legacy he left in the Super Eagles in his days as the team’s captain, the Big-boss legacy, that is what the younger ones (like Mikel, Yakubu and others) are copying today (it is no more Big-boss, it is now big-man), that legacy has haunted the team since he left.

For example, after the Kenya game, I heard one young fellow (analyst so to say) saying Amodu is the coach he knows who would field two defensive midfielders at once, that it was a tactical error. That fellow knows nothing he thinks he is talking about. There is nothing wrong in that depending on your game plan. Even the world reknown coaches such as Morinho, Benitez do that too sometimes, so why is it bad if an Amodu does it, it only depends on the match strategy suited to that particular game. But that same match plan won him the match and the world cup ticket!
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by OlaRay4(m): 9:56am On Nov 02, 2010
The same Keshi that cause divison in the eagles camp in the 80's ordering the coach to play this one or that one!!!
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by SkillJed(m): 4:46pm On Nov 02, 2010
Posted by: 12large1
Insert Quote
bros mind you amodu played 3 defensive midfilder against kenya idiots like you should stop classifying mikel as an attacking midfilder
dear 12large1, calling somebody an idiot is not a civil way to respond to a discussion, this is supposed to be a civil and polite community in the forum!
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by sayso: 12:18pm On Nov 03, 2010
bros na small small them they talk the matter.
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by bisiaet: 1:46pm On Nov 03, 2010
I think to be fair they should allow Siasia to come in as coach for super eagle they should give him the chance and see what he can deliver I dont see any reason for all these foot dragging style of the NFF in relation to appoint a coach for the super eagle is seriously a distrubing issue.
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by naijaobi(m): 4:28pm On Nov 03, 2010
For me, Siasia is the best.
Its high time we played good football.
Lets just wait for the outcome of tomorrow's interview
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by Guyman02: 5:10pm On Nov 03, 2010
They issue is that Siasia will not approve of NFF sending 50 delegates to Europe to go and watch a Nigerian player plying his trade for a Division 7 team for invitation to the National team.
Remember that when the former NFA refused to fund his team to the under 20 championship where the likes of Mikel were discovered; he ran to Timipre Sylva for assistance which he got. He went and got silver for Timipre Sylva grin grin and Nigeria. That was why the Bayelsa State Govt proudly named their stadium after him. Siasia is the Mourinho of African football. Case dismiss!!
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by rikamann: 5:42pm On Nov 03, 2010
In Nigeria football, the BEST coach till date is Amodu. Yes, he might not be lucky with fans but all the 'fake' oyinbos that replaced him did worse. Keshi and Siasia are not bad but do you have palyers at that level? The 1st match Oliseh played for Nigeria against Ethopia in Adis Ababa showed that a player was born to the Eagles. Do you have such players now?
Do you have adventurous players like Felix Owolabi, Amunike, Omokachi, Babangida, Etim Esin & co in Eagles?
Do you by chance have players like Mutiu Adepoju or Osaro Obabaifo or late Muda in your midfield?
Do you know that when Fashanu came from England, he could not claim a shirt? God bless YEKINI.
And now with unserious Okocha in football management, what do you expect? Failure, because he was never committed to seriousness.
(Thinking corner: When you have good players, you become a good coach. Let's search for these players and stop depending on players like Yakubu, Yobo, 'Kunfu fighter' and the rest)
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by durojim: 7:21pm On Nov 03, 2010
Why is Siasia a good coach?. What has he won. Beside coaching the over aged players U-20 and U-23. What did he do at the U-20 world cup. And also what did he do with his new team. Let us give him some time with his new team to see what he can do. Give him this season. Please let us get a competent coach and let us develop soccer at the grass-root. He is too arrogant.

1 Like

Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by supereagle(m): 4:51am On Nov 04, 2010
What was the success rate of Siasia with local clubs he handled? He failed with them. A good coach should have a Midas touch.
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by Nobody: 8:35am On Nov 04, 2010
All of u saying what has siasia done to his new team, is he the one that will go to the pitch to play the ball?What r Keshi's achievemnts as well?
I can bet it that Keshi will be bought by the NFF so he wont perform that much.They know siasia is going to be a form of headache , he is going to b elike Westerhof.They wont be able to play him around like football that is the more reason they wont give him the job. Sia sia is a tough guy and he can handle the SE vey well, he will bring discipline to the team. The level which siasia has got to interms of handling a team to the final of the world cup, tell me if keshi has got there.
Believe you mean, thats the kinda person we need in every parastal in Nigeria now.
We are all shouting for changes, this is one of the areas.
Thank you
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by andyanders: 11:45am On Nov 04, 2010
KESHI WILL PLAY POLITICS AND MESS UP THE EAGLES. MOST OF THE YOUTHS THAT SHOULD BE IN SUPPER EAGLES, HAS BEEN EARLIER HANDLED BY SIASIA. NFA SHOULD KNOW THAT KESHI WILL HOLD THEM TO RANSOME. KESHI IS ALREADY POLUTED. LET SIASIA BE THE NEW EAGLES COACH.
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by SkillJed(m): 8:02pm On Nov 05, 2010
supereagle:

What was the success rate of Siasia with local clubs he handled? He failed with them. A good coach should have a Midas touch.

first of all, i congratulate all nigerians on the confirmation of the selection of samson siasia as super eagles coach!

it is absolutely wrong for you to judge siasia with heartland. what you should ask yourself is this: was he the one who builded the team (heartland) pre-season? did he have the time and programme to build a team for heartland? NO! Siasia was only called on a salvage mission, the heartland team was already in disarray, so never use that to judge the man. it was the same case with the 2009 flying eagles team. the team under ladan bosso was already in a mess. you can't judge siasia with that team, though he took responsibility for the team's result at the junior mundial (WYC). by the way, that is the kind of coach you want in the super eagles, a coach who will take responsibility for his team's results. not a christian chukwu who lays blame here and there on players lack of commitment. lack of commitment from players simply means the coach is not worth that job. and have you ever seen lack of commitment in siasia's teams? NEVER

we have to be objective with our judgement! siasia is the man for that job!
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by SkillJed(m): 8:18pm On Nov 05, 2010
CONGRATS TO ALL NIGERIANS ON SELECTION OF SAMSON SIASIA AS SUPER EAGLES COACH
i do hope the paper aspect of the job will not be too much of a headache. i'm sure the F.F. have made a right decision this time. siasia has showed a high sense of professionalism on the national teams he has handled before this time.

as for keshi, i was sure he could never succeed as coach of the super eagles. it's not like i have anything against him. in fact i was one of the admirers of keshi's game in the super eagles, before that knee injury in '93 that made him a shadow of usual self till he finally retired in '96. i love defenders who are skillful, that was what keshi was when he was keshi in the national team.

but keshi could never coach the super eagles, mark my word, it would be a disaster. because of the legacy he left in the team. there is no way he could enforce discipline in this team. the big boys (so-to-say) in the super eagles today got their character from the legacy keshi left in that team, so how could he control them and infuse discipline in this team. they would all be saying: "oga, for your time, you sef do pass this o, we sabi your story well well". it would be a bad omen for the team.

keshi of course may coach other african teams and even succeed with them, but i'm sure (mark my word), he can never succeed with the super eagles because of his antecedents!

congrats to all nigerians on siasia's appointment. but siasia should beware, this job will not be as easy as he thinks. he should beware of "hossana today, crucify him tomorrow". that is nigerians for you!
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by mensdept: 3:30am On Nov 06, 2010
THANK DA LORD SIA1 IS APPOINTED.

Its long overdue. Now we shall see if we can capture one of the trophies available in 5 years.

The ANC 2012
The ANC 2013
World Cup 2014
The ANC 2015

along with great performances.

SIA1 please prove to those who doubt you that you can do it o', especially those who have been britishnized by the EPL and anything EUROPEAN lol
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by almoner(m): 11:00am On Nov 06, 2010
Now Siasia has taken over, what are the challenges he is likely face as the new coach of Super Eagles? Nigerians need to support because they asked for this.
Re: Why Keshi Can't Coach The Super Eagles by PastorOla1: 8:58pm On Nov 07, 2010
I prefer Siasia Keshi is too PROUD

(1) (Reply)

Sports Whatsapp Group / Nigerian Striker Scores Hattrick For Bayern Munich In 4-0 Win Over Olympiakos / Video: Cristiano Ronaldo Impressed Lionel Messi With This Moves

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.