Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,093 members, 7,818,281 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:49 AM

No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors (23984 Views)

FG Disburses N105.5 Billion For 260 Roads Repairs Nationwide / Save South East From Collapse, Okonjo-Iweala Tells Governors / Give Us Free Hand To Wipe Out Terrorists, Army Tells Governors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Maniagist1: 12:33am On Sep 25, 2019
President Muhammadu Buhari has asked state governors not to fix federal roads if they will eventually demand refund for the rehabilitation.

The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, made this known on Tuesday in Abuja when he appeared before the House of Representatives’ Ad Hoc Committee on Abandoned Federal Government Projects (Works) from 1999 till date.

According to the minister, the President issued the directive due to the humongous amounts being claimed by the governors after repairing federal roads in their states.

Fashola said, “The states submitted a bill of almost a trillion naira when President Buhari was elected. He asked us to work out what was their entitlement and all of that.

Ultimately, the BPP (the Bureau of Public Procurement) certified about N44bn – I don’t remember the exact amount now, except for two states; I think Cross River and there’s another state. They didn’t have the documents at the time, which we have sent back to the President.

But the decision to pay those inherited debts, including the ones I contracted as Governor of Lagos, was with the caveat that I should tell the governors to leave his (Buhari’s) roads alone. Those were the directives; I was not the one that took the decision.

He said, ‘Tell them not to fix my roads again if they’re going to claim compensation. If you want to fix it and not ask for compensation, send me what you want to do.

But if you want compensation, go and mind your business while I mind my business because I have inherited enough debts,

Fashola, while responding to the conversation by the Francis Uduyok-led panel that the ministry was overstretching itself by handling 472 road projects at once, said that the incessant demands by lawmakers were partly responsible.

He blamed abandoned projects on incessant budget cut.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/no-refund-for-federal-roads-repairs-fg-tells-govs/amp/

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Maniagist1: 12:33am On Sep 25, 2019
Read more here;

Melaye’s bid to reclaim senatorial seat on hold as A’Court reserves judgments

more here;https://maniagist.com/2019/09/25/melayes-bid-to-reclaim-senatorial-seat-on-hold-as-acourt-reserves-judgments/

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by mushystuff: 12:48am On Sep 25, 2019
Hehehe..next level directive. Seriously though, this is all shades of wrong because FG is clearly too ethnocentric to want to pay equal attention to all regions. It is mostly Southern governors that are forced to intervene on federal roads. Northern governors don't have to because the president is their brother!

Now if the state governors are asked to steer clear or repair those roads at their expense, what then is the FG doing? If they were doing their jobs will governors have to? Why not look at how to agree on payment modalities and review claims made by the state governments? These idiots in power are fond of either forcing stuff down the throats of Nigerians or absolutely throwing out the baby with the bathwater! They never apply critical thoughts to their policies and decisions!

Ngwa restructure and decentralize power/funds una no gree, dem go turn am to division of Nigeria. Oya be centrally efficient na, impossible! God forbid nonsense!

137 Likes 11 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by solihu(m): 1:43am On Sep 25, 2019
Nice! No room for project profiteering grin

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Ceegar01: 3:37am On Sep 25, 2019
I think fashola is making a great point there imagine the amount of money states like Ogun, Delta and Rivers State are claiming to have spent on federal roads which i know they didn't.

64 Likes 4 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Virginnn(f): 4:21am On Sep 25, 2019
It is not just enough issuing directives asking state governors to back off Fed gov roads. Fashola and his moribund ministry must show commitment at maintaining bad portions of the highways.
The Warri/Benin expressway was reportedly impassable for close to two months. At a time, vehicles coming from Benin to Warri or Portharcourt had to make the long Israelite journey of plying thru Asaba. A journey that would normally take less than an hour lingered on for six or more hours. Long articulated vehicles stayed in the queue, some for over a week. Many collapsed while trying to squeeze a way past.
That was the scenario. No response from the Fed gov.
It took the state government intervention to ensure that one of the lanes was repaired. Right now, work is being done on the second lane.
A gov led by Buhari and Fashola is announcing to the world that if governors are warning up to collect compensations, the should steer clear.
Today, the Enugu/ ONITSHA road is almost unmotorable. Same with the Benin/Abuja highway. Fed gov is not responding to calls to get those roads fixed. But is calling on governors to repair them freely using money from the state purse, or leave them there, watching the citizens languish in pains.
Would any state government even attempt to repair Fed gov roads if we have a responsive and proactive Fed gov?

107 Likes 8 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Teacher1776(m): 4:38am On Sep 25, 2019
"Drive away the hawk before coming back to query your chicks for wandering far away from home."
Faahola is asking state governments hoping to get repayments for maintaining Fed roads to stay away?This shows that the federal government refusal to repair failed portions of our highways are deliberate.
Would state governors who have plenty of other works to do be going to repair federal roads if the federal government is heeding to calls to get them maintained.
Activities of FERMA is non existent in the south south and south east. How else do you explain the poor state of federal roads in this region? If u imagine the suffering people pass thru on the highway. u will wonder if there is even a government in Nigeria.
Let me ask this loud and clear.

DO WE HAVE A GOVERNMENT IN NIGERIA?

37 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Teacher1776(m): 4:45am On Sep 25, 2019
Ceegar01:
I think fashola is making a great point there imagine the amount of money states like Ogun, Delta and Rivers State are claiming to have spent on federal roads which i know they didn't.
Have you ask yourself why state government is now the ones maintaining Fed roads. What has the works ministry been doing till that point where state government had to intervene?
Where is FERMA?
if federal government is performing her duties, the states won't even get close to the roads.
WE HAVE Suffered enough.

52 Likes 3 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Eraserubbish(m): 4:55am On Sep 25, 2019
Leave buharis roads alone...

Why not say, leave FG roads alone..oponu

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by oz4real83(m): 5:06am On Sep 25, 2019
I have always been an advocate for scrapping the practise of dividing roads into federal, states and local govt roads. Roads that are very critical to the lives and economies of many states are abandoned by the state govts all because the roads "belong to the federal govt". We don't have federal, states and local govt Nigerians. Benin-Lokoja, East-West road and other roads are critical examples. It won't cost the state govts to fix these roads but they won't fix them just because the roads belong to FG. The federal allocation should be reduced, there are too much resources at the centre while other tiers of govt have less to provide basic needs for their people.

14 Likes

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by netpro(m): 6:07am On Sep 25, 2019
Great. Governors who can't even pay salaries will just jump into construction flyovers on empty Federal roads in their states, so they can ask for Billions later.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by eTECTIV: 6:07am On Sep 25, 2019
If d FG was fixing and maintaining federal roads would state govts have any need to do it for dem? Dis ppl sef...

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Bridget95(f): 6:09am On Sep 25, 2019
We have never had it this bad in the southeast,not even under Abacha. Aba-Portharcourt road ,Aba-Umuahia,Onitsha-Enugu roads are nightmares and the present government is yet to fix them.This is really pathetic.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by dokyOloye: 6:11am On Sep 25, 2019
This next level eee.
If they think d repair bills are inflated,why not get d intending governors to apply first,then an assessment made and the price agreed on b4 repairs will start?
This govt just wants ppl to suffer

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by revolt(m): 6:15am On Sep 25, 2019
Maniagist1:
President Muhammadu Buhari has asked state governors not to fix federal roads if they will eventually demand refund for the rehabilitation.

The Minister of Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, made this known on Tuesday in Abuja when he appeared before the House of Representatives’ Ad Hoc Committee on Abandoned Federal Government Projects (Works) from 1999 till date.

According to the minister, the President issued the directive due to the humongous amounts being claimed by the governors after repairing federal roads in their states.

Fashola said, “The states submitted a bill of almost a trillion naira when President Buhari was elected. He asked us to work out what was their entitlement and all of that.

Ultimately, the BPP (the Bureau of Public Procurement) certified about N44bn – I don’t remember the exact amount now, except for two states; I think Cross River and there’s another state. They didn’t have the documents at the time, which we have sent back to the President.

But the decision to pay those inherited debts, including the ones I contracted as Governor of Lagos, was with the caveat that I should tell the governors to leave his (Buhari’s) roads alone. Those were the directives; I was not the one that took the decision.

He said, ‘Tell them not to fix my roads again if they’re going to claim compensation. If you want to fix it and not ask for compensation, send me what you want to do.

But if you want compensation, go and mind your business while I mind my business because I have inherited enough debts,

Fashola, while responding to the conversation by the Francis Uduyok-led panel that the ministry was overstretching itself by handling 472 road projects at once, said that the incessant demands by lawmakers were partly responsible.

He blamed abandoned projects on incessant budget cut.

Read more here; https://maniagist.com/2019/09/24/no-refund-for-federal-roads-repairs-fg-tells-government/
its simple handover the roads to the stare.....let them have jurisdiction there.

1 Like

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by KingTom(m): 6:39am On Sep 25, 2019
Bridget95:
We have never had it this bad in the southeast,not even under Abacha. Aba-Portharcourt road ,Aba-Umuahia,Onitsha-Enugu roads are nightmares and the present government is yet to fix them.This is really pathetic.
Calabar to Uyo road is another good way to meet your maker, damn that road is terrible

7 Likes

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Nobody: 6:48am On Sep 25, 2019
This particular administration is wickedness personified.

From Buhari to Osibanjo to fashola all line up of wicked men.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Nobody: 6:57am On Sep 25, 2019
In essence Nigerians are in for it.

Next Level roads.

2 Likes

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by capitalzero: 7:02am On Sep 25, 2019
Unless there is toll gate,sanwo may not want to fix badagry road with this new development
Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by GavelSlam: 7:27am On Sep 25, 2019
Bridget95:

Your state governments put together claim they've spent 1 trillion Naira on your roads.

I'm sure you agree they have.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by GavelSlam: 7:30am On Sep 25, 2019
revolt:
its simple handover the roads to the stare.....let them have jurisdiction there.

Because it is evident that states have taken care of the roads they have control over?

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by healthserve(m): 8:05am On Sep 25, 2019
Ceegar01:

Hater. Who taught them. Go back to Fasholas years as a governor and see the massive funds fahola was claiming thru projects handled on behalf of FG

12 Likes

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by obailala(m): 8:30am On Sep 25, 2019
mushystuff:
Hehehe..next level directive. Seriously though, ths is wrong on all counts because FG is clearly too ethnocentric to want to pay equal attention to all regions. It sibmostky Southern governors that are forced to intervene on federal roads. Northern governors don't have to because the president is their brother!

Now if the state governors are asked to steer clear or repair those roads at their expense, what then is the FG doing? If they were doing their jobs will governors have to? Why not look at how to agree on payment modalities and review claims made by the state governments? These idiots in power are fond of either forcing stuff down the throats of Nigerians or absolutely throwing out the baby with the bathwater! They never apply critical thoughts to their policies and decisions!
There's this widespread notion that the FG is fixing roads in the north and abandoning the south, especially the SE and SS due to ethnocentric reasons. In a moment of truth and honesty devoid of political emotions, can you substantiate this your claim that the ministry of works is currently fixing more roads in the north than elsewhere?... Saying something over and over again, and believing it as fact, doesnt necessarily make it true. How long are we going to keep believing and propagating this false notion?

Meanwhile, regarding the directive by Buhari to governors, you cant really blame the FG and neither can you blame the governors. This is like a husband who while still thinking of a birthday gift he can afford for his wife, the wife goes ahead and buys a brand new Ferrarri as her gift, and then asks the husband to refund her the gift money. If you were the husband, what would be your reaction?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by tayebest(m): 9:11am On Sep 25, 2019
Teacher1776:

Have you ask yourself why state government is now the ones maintaining Fed roads. What has the works ministry been doing till that point where state government had to intervene?
Where is FERMA?
if federal government is performing her duties, the states won't even get close to the roads.
WE HAVE Suffered enough.

But the state government are using this to siphoned more money!

A case of, Scam scamming scammers angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by slawomir: 9:25am On Sep 25, 2019
If they don't want to repair it for free make them leave am

Federal government nor dey ask for refund from bail out funds when them take dey help those states governors

Bunch of Yahoo men called governors

Every body want to choke and suck federal government

If they are actually spending such amount to help federal government why are the roads still in a dilapidated state

Bunch of Yahoo men

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by mrwonlasewonie: 9:25am On Sep 25, 2019
Smh
Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by positivelord: 9:25am On Sep 25, 2019
Na waoo...hmmm
Re: No Refund For Federal Roads Repairs - FG Tells Governors by Lamasta(m): 9:27am On Sep 25, 2019
Then repair the roads nonsense

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

LASG Rebuilds Ajeromi Ifelodun Local Secretariat Burnt During EndSARS Riots / Security Operatives Stop Journalists, Kanu’s Lawyer From Court Premises / It’s Risky To Talk About Nigeria Now - Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.