Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,367 members, 7,829,935 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 01:53 PM

Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders (15759 Views)

ASISGUARD: Turkish Firms Bag Contracts To Secure Nigerian Borders / Boko Haram: We Shot Down Nigerian Air Force Alpha Jet & Killed Pilots / Atiku Pays US Lobbyists $30,000 To Unseatt Buahri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by IamHeWrites: 4:12pm On Sep 25, 2019
The Nigerian Senate, on Wednesday, resolved to commend President Muhammadu Buhari for shutting down all the Nigerian land borders.

This followed a motion raised by Senator Adamu Aliero (APC, Kebbi Central) at today's plenary, which got the support of over 2/3 majority.

According to the upper legislative chambers, the President's decision was to “rectify the deteriorating effect on our country of persistent smuggling of products that negatively affect the Nigerian economy’s decline the well-being of our nation”.

The Senate equally resolved to commend the Nigerian Customs Service “for their role in intensifying the curbing of smuggling across the borders, and ridding Nigeria of smuggled goods and services.”

This is even as the red chambers vowed to task the Ministries of Foreign Affairs and Interior to increase diplomatic outreach to the government of the Republic of Benin, Cameroon, Niger and Chad to take urgent measures to stop their countries from being used as smuggling base “to perpetuate the illegal importation of unwanted goods into Nigeria.”

While assuring the said countries that the border closure was not a punitive measure targeted at them, the Senate directed the Committee on Customs and Tariff, Trade and Investment and Interior to review the border closure and recommend “sustainable resolution.”

These resolutions were reached at today's plenary, which was equally shared on the Senate's official Twitter handle, as obtained by Igbere TV.

See full statement below...

http://igberetvnews.com/1021213/senate-commends-buhari-closing-nigerian-borders/

3 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by IamHeWrites: 4:13pm On Sep 25, 2019
Lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by 9jaRealist: 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2019
Rubber-Stampers! grin

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by lovelove2323: 4:17pm On Sep 25, 2019
grin
Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by kejykejy: 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2019
Ftc

Its a welcome development. Am totally in support of the border closure. Let us produce eberything we consume locally here.

20 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by 111sunshine: 4:18pm On Sep 25, 2019
weldone sirs

3 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by Amazingman(m): 4:19pm On Sep 25, 2019
Besterds

5 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by cosby02(m): 4:22pm On Sep 25, 2019
Una try

2 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by princeade86(m): 4:23pm On Sep 25, 2019
but can't close border against terrorists, so that they can't have access to weapons.

13 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by islandmoon: 4:23pm On Sep 25, 2019
I pledged to Nigeria my country,
to be faithful , loyal and honest
to serve Nigeria with all my strength,
to defend her unity
and uphold her honour and glory
so help me God.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by EduTechTainMent: 4:24pm On Sep 25, 2019
Yes o!!! Nigeria on her way to becoming better............

The journey of a thousand miles, starts with one bold step.

Bonboy must learn to crawl before he learns to walk. Nigeria is now ready to start crawling her way to becoming a better country for us all.

P. S.

I heard the naira is now picking momentum against the Benin, Cameroonian and Niger currencies and those countries are feeling the effects of the border closure very badly

10 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by JB4life: 4:25pm On Sep 25, 2019
Average Nigerians are more interested in lower costs of food items than in policies which makes life more difficult for them.
Already the prices of various staple foods have risen in spite of the fact that main harvest of some of them started since July,

5 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by SlyPe(m): 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2019
A bag of rice is now #20000 in my area. angry

3 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by nurex01(m): 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2019
We go c
Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by martowskin1(m): 4:26pm On Sep 25, 2019
kejykejy:
Ftc

Its a welcome development. Am totally in support of the border closure. Let us produce eberything we consume locally here.

How many have u produced .....

17 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by 007lss: 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2019
kejykejy:
Ftc

it going to reduce the smuggling of petrol out

3 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by wellmax(m): 4:27pm On Sep 25, 2019
Anyone who against the border closure must be a smuggler or an enemy of Nigeria.
Well done Senate

11 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by thedio(m): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2019
Kudos to Mr President for taking that drastic action.FP is for attention seekers

1 Like

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by wellmax(m): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2019
Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by martowskin1(m): 4:28pm On Sep 25, 2019
JB4life:
Average Nigerians are more interested in lower costs of food items than in policies which makes life more difficult for them.
Already the prices of various staple foods have risen in spite of the fact that main harvest of some of them started since July,

Don't mind them, they keep making life for an average man difficult I'm the name of policies...

U increase tax, add other form of tax and yet minimum wage is not changing

Even bringing more policies to make life difficult

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by EduTechTainMent: 4:29pm On Sep 25, 2019
JB4life:

Let's all try and persevere pls. Nothing good comes easy. Shebi dey say Nigerians are very resilient lots, this is the litmus test.

Aluta continua, Victoria acerta

2 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by Cheryph200(m): 4:30pm On Sep 25, 2019
You all think that's the best way to fight insecurity when people keep dying of starvation... Bet you most of them don't consume local things ..the forces are truely trying and dying for the masses but the real question is who is sponsoring those animals called terrorist.. We are the one suffering for all the pain caused by greedy leaders

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by airminem(f): 4:31pm On Sep 25, 2019
Shuting borders ard good for a nation. But when its indicate downturn, then it becomes a worst move. You intend to apply free trade zone relationship. How do you address such with shut borders? America on it own has deployed 27000 troops to it borders of MEX. Who are the troops on our borders?
Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by Onyi90(m): 4:32pm On Sep 25, 2019
So how which border give access to all these Nigel republic and Fulani invadors into the Country

1 Like

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by EduTechTainMent: 4:33pm On Sep 25, 2019
SlyPe:

Even when dem no close the border, how much b rice. Abeg cut the govt some slack.

Our president may not be the best, but he is trying his best, albeit it may not be good enough for a lot of Nigerians.

No be everything wey pápá do pikin dey like and see the benefit of. Most often than not, na after many years that pikin go see and realise the wisdom of the stuffs his dad did. This can be likened to Nigerians and the current policies being pursued by our govt.

8 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by Cheryph200(m): 4:38pm On Sep 25, 2019
There are more issues dey suppose to address soon..This una next level to sufferness ..PHCN charging a 2bedflat 25k per month ..food is now gold with many people jobless ..many are ready to work but where is the work .Graduates salaries is nothing to talk about.. People leave this country because life is unbearable here and most that don't have the opportunity leave this world in the name of depression...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by valarmorghulis: 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2019
SlyPe:
Eat something else, na only rice dey Nigeria

4 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by paulchucks: 4:40pm On Sep 25, 2019
this people are killing the economy. but they don't know go to market and see the effect a lot of things produced. here are heavily bought by our neighbouring countries. this was the same mistake this govt made that shot dollars. to 520
Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by techwahala: 4:44pm On Sep 25, 2019
u no fit spell buhari?

2 Likes

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by Tenses: 4:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
Not a fan of Buhari but the border closure has done a lot of good to my business. How I receive orders from Lagos, Ibadan, portharcourt, owerri etc. for Mikogo Abakaliki Rice. My customers are commending my rice saying it has better taste, better aroma, stone free and polished than foreign rice(starch rice that one nah rice)

PDP show me wii. Border so open like a hoe vagina. Bad for my business.

Please order for your stone free, long grain and polished Abakaliki rice.

50kg for 15k
25kg for 7.5k

Free delivery to your closest park.

For more detail call: 08081905662

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by icankel: 4:48pm On Sep 25, 2019
A bag of Nigerian rice is currently at #19,000. so will the common man be able to afford such an amount in this present government. I pray the killings from Herdsmen and Bokos stops
Re: Senate Commends Buahri For Shutting Down Nigerian Borders by MrNipplesLover(m): 4:50pm On Sep 25, 2019
stupid comment in the first post of the "Nigerian Senate" handle.

"most people killing Nigerians are not Nigerians"

so, Boko Haram, herdsmen are not Nigerians, abi?!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Kano Vigilantes And Local Thugs Clash In A Community. Photos / FG Purchases N50m Earthquake Monitoring Equipment / President Muhammadu Buhari Declares Assets Ready For Swearing In

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.