Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,976 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:53 AM

Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? (9557 Views)

How To Make Your Android Phone's Fingerprint Scanner More Accurate / Itel Announce S32 Smartphone With Dual Selfie Camera And Fingerprint Scanner / Next Year Smartphones Might Spot In-screen Fingerprint Scanner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Ennyholar: 11:28am On Sep 26, 2019
In recent times In-screen fingerprint sensor has become a trend in the Android smartphone world. There are basically two types of in-display fingerprint scanners: Optical and Ultrasonic scanner. They function the same on the surface.

But underneath, both are vastly different in terms of unlocking method and security. So we're comparing them for you to pick whichever suits your usage.

HOW DO THEY WORK?

Optical Sensor : captures the 2D image of the fingerprint and stores the data on the device. So, when you press the display to authenticate your identity, the screen lights up to illuminate the fingerprint. A tiny camera behind the display takes the image of your finger and then compares it to the stored image.

Ultrasonic fingerprint scanner : they uses very high-frequency sound. The waves are used to map out the details of the user’s fingerprint. The sensor can detect mechanical stress to calculate the intensity of the returning ultrasonic pulse at different points on the scanner, which ultimately generates a highly detailed 3D reproduction of the scanned fingerprint. This data is used to match with the existing fingerprint data on the device.

But when comparing the two side by side, the ultrasonic ones have an upper edge. The optical fingerprint scanner needs to generate a detailed 2D image of the fingerprint. As a result, it requires more press than usual on display. It’s not heartbreaking but coming from a physical scanner, it might feel slow compared to the optical scanner which might be less secure.

So which do you prefer the Ultrasonic fingerprint scanner or the optical Sensor scanner?

https://www.guidingtech.com/ultrasonic-fingerprint-scanner-vs-optical-fingerprint-scanner-how-do-they-differ/

Cc lalasticlala , Dragnet , Honsule , Puskin

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Realboygenius(m): 11:35am On Sep 26, 2019
I feel the optical sensor is faster compared to ultrasonic which is more secure.

lalasticlala

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Temitope1759(f): 11:36am On Sep 26, 2019
I don't really care know the difference as long mine is fast and responsive.

2 Likes

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Abiodunspectre(m): 11:37am On Sep 26, 2019
Thanks OP for the information
cc Dragnet

1 Like

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by ovnnaenow: 12:08pm On Sep 26, 2019
Even The face too
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by WalkerMichael(m): 12:08pm On Sep 26, 2019
I have noticed some difference in the quality of post being pushed to nairaland since morning. Am I alone on this?

10 Likes

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by choky26(m): 12:08pm On Sep 26, 2019
Ok
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by lilmarley: 12:10pm On Sep 26, 2019
Kudos

In other word

Some Guys Will Be Shouting I Can't Marry A Girl Who Doesn't Know How To Cook.
Meanwhile Some Of Them Don't Even Have Money To Buy Foodstuffs
embarassed

1 Like

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by MANNABBQGRILLS: 12:10pm On Sep 26, 2019
In a lay man's term, Let us break it down

Ultrasonic fingerprint readers are more accurate than optical readers and they are more secure because of the 3D impression that the reader creates of your finger.
So which do you prefer the Ultrasonic fingerprint scanner or the optical Sensor scanner?
So, ultrasonic all the way.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Gideoniteprime4: 12:11pm On Sep 26, 2019
the x-video guys will be like

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by starbright4real(m): 12:12pm On Sep 26, 2019
gud day, pls i seriously need a job, i am a graduate of accounting (hnd) 07037799108
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Nobody: 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2019
Ennyholar:
In recent times In-screen fingerprint sensor has become a trend in the Android smartphone world. There are basically two types of in-display fingerprint scanners: Optical and Ultrasonic scanner. They function the same on the surface.

But underneath, both are vastly different in terms of unlocking method and security. So we're comparing them for you to pick whichever suits your usage.

HOW DO THEY WORK?

Optical Sensor : captures the 2D image of the fingerprint and stores the data on the device. So, when you press the display to authenticate your identity, the screen lights up to illuminate the fingerprint. A tiny camera behind the display takes the image of your finger and then compares it to the stored image.

Ultrasonic fingerprint scanner : they uses very high-frequency sound. The waves are used to map out the details of the user’s fingerprint. The sensor can detect mechanical stress to calculate the intensity of the returning ultrasonic pulse at different points on the scanner, which ultimately generates a highly detailed 3D reproduction of the scanned fingerprint. This data is used to match with the existing fingerprint data on the device.

But when comparing the two side by side, the ultrasonic ones have an upper edge. The optical fingerprint scanner needs to generate a detailed 2D image of the fingerprint. As a result, it requires more press than usual on display. It’s not heartbreaking but coming from a physical scanner, it might feel slow compared to the optical scanner which might be less secure.

https://www.guidingtech.com/ultrasonic-fingerprint-scanner-vs-optical-fingerprint-scanner-how-do-they-differ/

Cc lalasticlala , Dragnet , Honsule , Puskin
Which one is on Samsung A70 pls??

I want to confirm something!!!
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Fidelismaria: 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2019
Ultrasonic is better
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by gaetano: 12:13pm On Sep 26, 2019
undecided
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by lyriclekidd(m): 12:14pm On Sep 26, 2019
Okay
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Blastedholligan: 12:17pm On Sep 26, 2019
My question is which one are mostly found in smartphones? And what type does that Tecno Camon 12 uses?
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Abiodunspectre(m): 12:19pm On Sep 26, 2019
eni4real:

Optical sensor.
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Nobody: 12:22pm On Sep 26, 2019
Abiodunspectre:

Optical sensor.
Thanks!
Is Ultrasonic sensor possible on phones??

Some phones have their Finger print detector on the home pad and not on the screen!!
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by jaxxy(m): 12:23pm On Sep 26, 2019
Interesting... ultrasonic cud seem slower bt more acurate cos it la reading 3d image while optical sensors might be faster bt May require more taps cos it’s not so accurate since it’s reading a 2d image.
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Topmaike007(m): 12:29pm On Sep 26, 2019
Wow
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Xneg: 12:30pm On Sep 26, 2019
makewetalk2:
I want to spot out one hypocrisy here. on the previous post https://www.nairaland.com/5437181/man-caught-selling-marijuana-ndlea
the headline say one man was caught. but if e reach for igbo people dem go mention the name clearly (hope uzodimma). make una day see how some people use their hand day encourage crime and racism.

Now to the question,
whenever you see SONIC attached to a word, you know that it is referring to sound. OPTICAL always refers to the eye.
ultrasonic FS works by bouncing a sonic pulse wave off of your fingertip to create a 3D image that is then read by the sensor, while optical FS uses LED light to illuminate the finger for the sensors to capture. the ridges and dark areas of your fingers may not capture when they are wet and dirty but in ultrasonic, the pulse wave is constant regardless of the condition of the finger

but why warri passport office never get paper to print travel passport for people? and why una keep quiet like say the thing no consign una?

Optics is light not eyes
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Abiodunspectre(m): 12:30pm On Sep 26, 2019
eni4real:
Thanks!
Is Ultrasonic sensor possible on phones??

Some phones have their Finger print detector on the home pad and not on the screen!!

Samsung S10 and S10 both are the first phone to possess the Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor.
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by davillian(m): 12:32pm On Sep 26, 2019
WalkerMichael:
I have noticed some difference in the quality of post being pushed to nairaland since morning. Am I alone on this?
No you are not alone, I just logged in and everything I've read is rubbish
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Sep 26, 2019
Abiodunspectre:

Samsung S10 and S10 both are the first phone to possess the Ultrasonic fingerprint sensor.
Thanks!!
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Kingkamba(m): 12:33pm On Sep 26, 2019
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin cool cool cool cool cool cool
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by Xneg: 12:35pm On Sep 26, 2019
Blastedholligan:
My question is which one are mostly found in smartphones? And what type does that Tecno Camon 12 uses?

That's the physical finger print scanner.
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by makewetalk2: 12:40pm On Sep 26, 2019
thank you for the correction. but without eye, you no fit see light na.
I chose to use the organ for the human body to explain this thing make people for understand. using light will make it difficult and that is why i employed the word illuminate to clarify it. i had wanted to use enhance but it coulda been ambiguous.
the reason why I no use ear na because ear no work for my explanation. the person asking the question must have been taught light a million times.
anyway, thank you. I will modify it. e be like say my explanation sef cause more trouble than help hahaha
Xneg:

Optics is light not eyes

2 Likes

Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by WalkerMichael(m): 12:40pm On Sep 26, 2019
davillian:

No you are not alone, I just logged in and everything I've read is rubbish

Do you read all posts? shocked
Re: Ultrasonic Vs Optical Fingerprint Scanner: How Do They Differ? by makewetalk2: 12:41pm On Sep 26, 2019
I do not use that kind of fone. I have never been to a Samsung phone shop. not that I am bragging but for many years I haven't bought a fone.
eni4real:

(1) (2) (Reply)

How To Make Huge Cash Creating Power Bank Yourself / See What A Corper Bought In Aba This Morning [photo] / Mtn Coming Out With A Surprise Very Soon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.